|National Hockey League Collective Bargaining Agreement -1993-2004
Form of Standard Club Rules
1. Alcohol consumption is absolutely prohibited on team
flights, in airports or in any hotel in which the club is
staying, unless specifically authorized by the head coach or
general manager. In all other cases, alcohol consumption must be
sensible. If a player has been drinking and has a vehicle with
him, the Club shall reimburse him for his cab fare home
without questions or retribution.
2. Gambling on any National Hockey League game is prohibited.
3. Players must be on time for all team practices, games,
meetings or other events. The Club shall provide players with
notice of each scheduled event specifying the time and place
at which players are required to report:
(a) Any player who misses a scheduled team flight is
responsible for paying his own travel to the city in which he
meets his club. He is also subject to fine.
(b) Any player who misses a scheduled practice without valid
and pre-approved permission will be fined 1/192 of his salary.
(c) Any player who misses a scheduled game without valid and
pre-approved permission will be fined 1/84 of his salary.
(d) Players are required to keep all reasonable appointments
with club trainers, dentists and physicians, therapists and the
4. Personal charges incurred by players in hotels while the
club is on the road must be paid by the player before checking
out. Any personal charges not so paid will be paid by the club,
and deducted from the player's next paycheck, together with a
fine of $25.00 (first offense) and an additional fine of $25.00
for each subsequent offense. Players will be held responsible
for any damages caused to hotel rooms which they are occupying.
5. Players are required to wear jackets, ties and dress pants
to all club games and while traveling to and from such games
unless otherwise specified by head coach or general manager.
6. Players not dressing for club games must be in attendance at
such games, unless otherwise specified by head coach or general
manager and dressed in accordance with Paragraph 5 herein.
7. All injuries must be reported immediately to the club
8. Personal agents or personal advisors shall not be permitted
in the dressing room at any time.
9. The use of tobacco products while in the presence of fans in
any arena or while attending any team function is prohibited.
10. All scheduled weigh-ins will be adhered to by all players
for recording by a trainer or coach.
11. The media are to be treated with courtesy. Current
guidelines with respect to player availability remain in effect.
12. Fans are to be treated with respect and courtesy.
13. All players shall adhere to the club's curfew policy.
14. Any player who is assessed a minor penalty or misconduct for
an abuse of official or an unsportsmanlike penalty may be subject
to a fine.
15. Use of illegal sticks or other illegal equipment may be
subject to fine. Full equipment must be worn at all times unless
otherwise stated by the head coach.
Note: With the exception of fines set forth in 3(b), (c) and 4
above, fines imposed in connection with a player's initial
violation (first offense) of a Club rule shall not exceed $250.00
in native currency, fines imposed for any subsequent offense of
the same rule by the same player shall not exceed $500.00 in
native currency. The Club shall take into consideration any
mitigating factors prior to levying a fine in accordance with any
of the foregoing rules. A Player's record shall be expunged at
the conclusion of each regular season. Fines shall be collected
and held for use at an appropriate team function involving the
players or donated to a charity of the players' choice.
Back to NHL CBA Main page.