Game 26 vs Toronto - Thoughts from the Train Wreck After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 26 vs Toronto - Thoughts from the Train Wreck After

Postby Shaky Walton on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:14 pm

sniper wrote:-That game was full of stupidity by both teams. Otherwise this game might have been 1 to 1.
-It's good the Bylsma was able to identify that 4 stupid mistakes on their part led to 4 Toronto goals and that they eliminated them in the third and OT. Now why can't he get the to do that all game, every game.
-Letang was awful for most of that game. Got to give him some credit for playing better in the third and picking up 3 points. He should be benched, but with the injuries he's going to have to play his way out of this funk. Yes, this is a funk. He's a much better player than he's shown this season.
-Dupuis, where are you??? You are the invisible man out there.
-Fleury didn't deserve to be pulled. Those goals aren't his fault.
-Toronto wasn't happy with the 5th goal (that was BS) or the penalties called on them. They thought it was awfully officiated. Particularly the one on Smithson. I thought that was an easy call.
-What happened to the team that played against Washington and Columbus when Zatkoff was in goal?

No goals are ever MAF's fault. Everybody in the building was at fault but not him. He handled that puck behind the net like a live hand grenade but that is not his fault. Wow are you people naive
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TrueNorth on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Penspal wrote:On the Sid note. In two of the most recent games, the Pens have allowed teams to have their Dmen be OVERLY physical with Sid.

Habs - Subban
Leafs - Phaneouf

Lots of stuff that is borderline during the play, and cheeky stuff after the whistle, etc. No one can convince me that this is not affecting Sid (using energy at the very least). I'd like to see this addressed in some way, be it a Borts/Engy/Somebody laying down some beats on these clowns.

Yes, I’m sure this would have a negative effect on his game. How could it not? I hope that his play of late is related to external factors such as these rather than some nagging injury. And, yes, would someone please step up and offer him some protection from the likes of Subban, Phaneuf, and all the other clowns whose assignment is to make his life a living hell and prevent him from getting to his game. The refs clearly can’t be counted on to offer any assistance in this regard.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PghSkins on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:
sniper wrote:-That game was full of stupidity by both teams. Otherwise this game might have been 1 to 1.
-It's good the Bylsma was able to identify that 4 stupid mistakes on their part led to 4 Toronto goals and that they eliminated them in the third and OT. Now why can't he get the to do that all game, every game.
-Letang was awful for most of that game. Got to give him some credit for playing better in the third and picking up 3 points. He should be benched, but with the injuries he's going to have to play his way out of this funk. Yes, this is a funk. He's a much better player than he's shown this season.
-Toronto wasn't happy with the 5th goal (that was BS) or the penalties called on them. They thought it was awfully officiated. Particularly the one on Smithson. I thought that was an easy call.
-What happened to the team that played against Washington and Columbus when Zatkoff was in goal?

No goals are ever MAF's fault. Everybody in the building was at fault but not him. He handled that puck behind the net like a live hand grenade but that is not his fault. Wow are you people naive

All goals are always Fleury's fault. Nobody in the building is at fault but him.

Amidoinitrite?
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:44 pm

columbia wrote:My guess is that DB had a few choice words for them after the 2nd period.

"Umm, excuse me. Do you mind, umm, I mean, can you play a little better please? I mean, if you don't mind. If you do, it's totally ok. But yeah, I was just thinking. Ok, nevermind."

That's how I imagine DB's stern conversations.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby danglesnipe37 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:21 pm

PghSkins wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:

All goals are always Fleury's fault. Nobody in the building is at fault but him.

Amidoinitrite?

Perfectly. Flurry is da worst goalie evarrrr!
danglesnipe37

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:23 pm

Like a kitchen today; a cluster-something... happy for the 2 points. It was exciting~ quite the ebb and flow of the game. Being at the game I missed Flower's temper? I imagine leaf nation isn't thrilled with their efforts in the past 2 game either.

Evgeni playing offense and defense; beautiful. Sid needs to cut down on blind passes to the wrong team. But, he is clutch.

Defense, my defense :shock: :? need some tweaking on partners going forward.

happy turkey day
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:

Who fits your clown shoes for you?
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:

Fleury handled the puck fine and put the pass right on Letang's stick, but JVR was bearing down on Letang and picked his pocket. As Ray Ferraro pointed out during the game, Letang has to communicate with Fleury there. In fact, Ferraro mentioned several times during the game that the Penguins really lack communication on the back end.

I still don't like the decision to play the puck in that scenario, but from a technical standpoint he played it fine.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby scals37 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:30 pm

MAF going all Patrick Roy down the tunnel had me imagining a franchise self destructing!

I was at the game, so I didn't see what Fleury did after he got yanked
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:25 pm

TSN feed had a camera trained on the runway beside the Pens bench. MAF went down that and you could see him swinging his stick against the walls and breaking it. He took a couple of steps back, like he hadn't smashed it enough, and then went down the tunnel for a while. MAF returned about 5 mins later and looked calm and reserved. Can't remember him ever being so upset.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sniper on Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Penspal wrote:On the Sid note. In two of the most recent games, the Pens have allowed teams to have their Dmen be OVERLY physical with Sid.

Habs - Subban
Leafs - Phaneouf

Lots of stuff that is borderline during the play, and cheeky stuff after the whistle, etc. No one can convince me that this is not affecting Sid (using energy at the very least). I'd like to see this addressed in some way, be it a Borts/Engy/Somebody laying down some beats on these clowns.

This was something I wanted to comment on and forgot to earlier. How often do we see one of our star players go of in with a retaliation penalty or like last night go off after being involved in a two person scrum with someone on the other team? How often do we see a star of the other team go off in a similar manner? Hardly ever right? Why is that? It needs to change.

After the Boston game I mentioned I'd love for the Pens to game plan to make life hell for the D-man the other team wants out against Sid. A plan to dump the puck into the D-mans corner and hit him all game. Something. Instead Chara and Phaneuf were hardly ever hit and they got on the ice against Sid pretty much every time he was on the ice.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:

Since you seem to think every goal is his fault. Can you please explain what he should have done differently on all these goals that make them his fault. On the first goal that occurred on the power play where a guy in front of him deflects a shot, what would you have liked for him to have done differently? Second goal was a 3 on 1. Explain how that is his fault and why you expect him to make that save. Explain how his defenseman giving the puck to the other team right after he got it with the goalie still behind the net is his fault.

How about in the Boston game. How is the breakaway goal caused by Orpik skating over to the other side of the ice his fault? How about the guy left wide open for a back door tap in on their second goal? How about the third one his own player tipped on the way in a few feet in front of him? And the 4th goal where a guy was allowed to walk down to the faceoff dot with all the time in the world? Explain why you expect him to stop these.

Also when the penguins score do they earn their goals or they all the result of bad goaltending too. Was Rask to blame for both those Neal blasts from near the same location Krug scored from? How about the Crosby back door tap in? Was it Bernier's fault that Connor was wide open in front of the net? How about the Letang shot tipped by a d-man on the way in? I'm sure you think he should have had the Neal one-timer on the 5 on 3 and the one where Malkin pushed him into the net before putting the puck in.

Goalies give up bad goals and have bad games. The last two games aren't examples of that. A lot of the goals Fleury gave up in the playoffs are good examples of those. Zatkoff probably should have had the Leaf 5th goal. But not every goal given up is the goalies fault like you seem to think. In the Leaf game there were a bunch of defensive break downs that were the cause of the goals. Would it have been nice if Fleury made a stop on that 3 on 1? Sure, but nobody expects that from any goalie. Well nobody except you apparently.

If Fleury plays like he did the last few playoff years he deserves all the criticism you can throw his way. So far this year there have been very few soft goals and really not all that many questionable ones. I actually thought the Montreal game was his worst game of the year and he only gave up 3 goals. I don't think any goalie in the league would live up to your expectations.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Stop feeding the troll(s)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:56 pm

MAF turned 29 today. He ain't no spring chicken anymore.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Tico Rick wrote:MAF turned 29 today. He ain't no spring chicken anymore.

No, apparently he's a turkey.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:02 pm

sil wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:MAF turned 29 today. He ain't no spring chicken anymore.

No, apparently he's a turkey.

Maybe you're right.

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:02 pm

HBMAF
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:08 pm

Now I feel bad for posting that picture on MAF's birthday. Happy b-day, MAF!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shaky Walton on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:16 am

GSdrums87 wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:

Who fits your clown shoes for you?

Apparently you do not. you have your own issues
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shaky Walton on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:24 am

sniper wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:

Since you seem to think every goal is his fault. Can you please explain what he should have done differently on all these goals that make them his fault. On the first goal that occurred on the power play where a guy in front of him deflects a shot, what would you have liked for him to have done differently? Second goal was a 3 on 1. Explain how that is his fault and why you expect him to make that save. Explain how his defenseman giving the puck to the other team right after he got it with the goalie still behind the net is his fault.

How about in the Boston game. How is the breakaway goal caused by Orpik skating over to the other side of the ice his fault? How about the guy left wide open for a back door tap in on their second goal? How about the third one his own player tipped on the way in a few feet in front of him? And the 4th goal where a guy was allowed to walk down to the faceoff dot with all the time in the world? Explain why you expect him to stop these.

Also when the penguins score do they earn their goals or they all the result of bad goaltending too. Was Rask to blame for both those Neal blasts from near the same location Krug scored from? How about the Crosby back door tap in? Was it Bernier's fault that Connor was wide open in front of the net? How about the Letang shot tipped by a d-man on the way in? I'm sure you think he should have had the Neal one-timer on the 5 on 3 and the one where Malkin pushed him into the net before putting the puck in.

Goalies give up bad goals and have bad games. The last two games aren't examples of that. A lot of the goals Fleury gave up in the playoffs are good examples of those. Zatkoff probably should have had the Leaf 5th goal. But not every goal given up is the goalies fault like you seem to think. In the Leaf game there were a bunch of defensive break downs that were the cause of the goals. Would it have been nice if Fleury made a stop on that 3 on 1? Sure, but nobody expects that from any goalie. Well nobody except you apparently.

If Fleury plays like he did the last few playoff years he deserves all the criticism you can throw his way. So far this year there have been very few soft goals and really not all that many questionable ones. I actually thought the Montreal game was his worst game of the year and he only gave up 3 goals. I don't think any goalie in the league would live up to your expectations.

Take off the rose colored glasses This guy has gotten a free pass for the last 5 years. Failure after failure after failure. When does he take responsibility for his poor goaltending. Like I said before he makes million dollar saves but gives up way to many nickel and dime goals. I expect better from a goalie who was taken FIRST overall in his draft year. Just like Mario and Sid were. Is he in that high altitude? Apparently he is. IMO he is NOT anywhere near there. Look at the track record. It speaks for itself. If he played on a team like the NYR he would have folded like a cheap suit long ago.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sniper on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:08 am

Shaky Walton wrote:Take off the rose colored glasses This guy has gotten a free pass for the last 5 years. Failure after failure after failure. When does he take responsibility for his poor goaltending. Like I said before he makes million dollar saves but gives up way to many nickel and dime goals. I expect better from a goalie who was taken FIRST overall in his draft year. Just like Mario and Sid were. Is he in that high altitude? Apparently he is. IMO he is NOT anywhere near there. Look at the track record. It speaks for itself. If he played on a team like the NYR he would have folded like a cheap suit long ago.

So every first overall pick should perform just like Mario and Sid or they are a failure? Those aren't unrealistic expectations or anything. :roll:

Mario and Sid are generational talents. Look at the guys drafted first overall in the last 25 years. There are a few guys who might have been considered best in the game at some point in their careers. There are a some who were franchise players, some who didn't come anywhere near meeting expectations, but most had long solid careers where they were an important piece for their team. Fleury fits into that last group. It's more normal than the elite generational talent you seem to think he needs to be. That would be nice, but it's just not going to happen. On top of that he doesn't get paid like one so what's the problem?

Looking back 10 years later, yeah they could have probably drafted a better player with that pick. That was a good draft class, but there are no Sid or Lemieux's in that draft class. So no matter who they would have taken it looks like you wouldn't have been happy with him. He's been fine this year. They are in first place in their division. His goals against average is the best it's been in his career. He has been the least of the pens problems this year. There are plenty of more deserving players of criticism. I don't understand your obsession with him at this time.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:00 am

All of this talk about Fleury and so far just some mention of the defensive train wreck that is Orpik. I love that we analyze every Maatta mistake and say, yeah, but he is a rookie. Meanwhile, Orpik seems to put on the opponent's jersey every night. Why the Pens have by far their 2 worst D-men on the same pairing I have no idea. The massive minutes just compounds the idiocy. We need Scuds back now.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:54 am

After seeing Sid get raped by Subban and Phaneuf in back to back games I gotta admit to feeling pretty happy when Geno clipped DP in the chops as he blew by.

Insert obligatory "I would never wish injury on anyone" disclaimer here.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:09 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shaky Walton on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:28 am

sniper wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:Take off the rose colored glasses This guy has gotten a free pass for the last 5 years. Failure after failure after failure. When does he take responsibility for his poor goaltending. Like I said before he makes million dollar saves but gives up way to many nickel and dime goals. I expect better from a goalie who was taken FIRST overall in his draft year. Just like Mario and Sid were. Is he in that high altitude? Apparently he is. IMO he is NOT anywhere near there. Look at the track record. It speaks for itself. If he played on a team like the NYR he would have folded like a cheap suit long ago.

So every first overall pick should perform just like Mario and Sid or they are a failure? Those aren't unrealistic expectations or anything. :roll:

Mario and Sid are generational talents. Look at the guys drafted first overall in the last 25 years. There are a few guys who might have been considered best in the game at some point in their careers. There are a some who were franchise players, some who didn't come anywhere near meeting expectations, but most had long solid careers where they were an important piece for their team. Fleury fits into that last group. It's more normal than the elite generational talent you seem to think he needs to be. That would be nice, but it's just not going to happen. On top of that he doesn't get paid like one so what's the problem?
But in the last 25 years of first overalls, how many have been goalies??
Looking back 10 years later, yeah they could have probably drafted a better player with that pick. That was a good draft class, but there are no Sid or Lemieux's in that draft class. So no matter who they would have taken it looks like you wouldn't have been happy with him. He's been fine this year. They are in first place in their division. His goals against average is the best it's been in his career. He has been the least of the pens problems this year. There are plenty of more deserving players of criticism. I don't understand your obsession with him at this time.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins