Therrien has Montreal playing well

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Therrien has Montreal playing well

Postby The Current One on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:34 am

Meanwhile, back in Pittsburgh, Disco Dan's team is undisciplined, unprepared and unable to elevate/change their game as the playoffs dictate. Somehow I'm not surprised...
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Therrien has Montreal playing well

Postby Beveridge on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:39 am

Does this mean next year Montreal struggles and is outside the playoffs in late February?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:50 am

Another anti Byslma thread under the guise of a pro Therrien thread? Clever.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:24 am

Like everyone said at the time of the 10th place Penguins: "Definitely don't fire this coach. Because five years from now, he might be coaching another team and having unrelated success."
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:28 am

Montreal is soff.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:38 am

littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:00 am

I watched a bit of that game last night and Montreal was playing hard. Rushing to every puck, a sense of urgency despite being up 2-0 in the series. Ultra hustle. If the Pens played this hard they would be unstoppable.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 am

Playing hard would help the Pens, but playing a simplified system that capitalizes on their strengths (as opposed to one that plays into the hands of every opponent they face) would help as well. Management should consider putting Jacques Martin's system into place right now; at least some version of it. They brought the man in for a purpose. They should take advantage of having him there. If the Pens played a more boring style but it meant that they would win the Cup, I'd take that in a heartbeat.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 am

mikey287 wrote:Like everyone said at the time of the 10th place Penguins: "Definitely don't fire this coach. Because five years from now, he might be coaching another team and having unrelated success."

Lolol
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby headh on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:27 am

therrien has them managing the puck very well, getting the puck in deep every time, traffic in front of the net, centering passes, shots on net and their F3 is always in the right spot to help prevent counterattacking odd man rushes. It's simple, it's obvious and it's working.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 am

The Habs will still be canon fodder against their likely opponent the B's (my unlearned opinion, of course).
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Nizzy on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:33 am

The thing I don't understand is.... Bylsma, himself has said "I need a full offseason to implement my system". It was still Therrien's style of play and team that won the cup. Bylsma was just a different voice and let them run free. What Therrien did for the organization from when he took over the team til fired, was actually very impressive. I'm surprised the team can get Therrien fired, but just do enough to keep Bylsma around. Too relaxed in the country club.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:35 am

mikey287 wrote:Like everyone said at the time of the 10th place Penguins: "Definitely don't fire this coach. Because five years from now, he might be coaching another team and having unrelated success."

Firing MT back in 2009 was the right move, and at the time, Bylsma was the perfect hire. However, keeping Bylsma after the 2012 Philly debacle was a big mistake. He should have been replaced back then.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 am

NPR
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:45 am

Humperdink wrote:The Habs will still be canon fodder against their likely opponent the B's (my unlearned opinion, of course).

Habs took 3 of 4 games against the Bruins this season. For whatever reason, they seem to have the B's number.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 am

Nizzy wrote:The thing I don't understand is.... Bylsma, himself has said "I need a full offseason to implement my system". It was still Therrien's style of play and team that won the cup. Bylsma was just a different voice and let them run free. What Therrien did for the organization from when he took over the team til fired, was actually very impressive. I'm surprised the team can get Therrien fired, but just do enough to keep Bylsma around. Too relaxed in the country club.

I'd like to think if this team craps the bed again in the playoffs, DB is gone.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:00 am

slappybrown wrote:

Lolol
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:03 am

/topic
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:06 am

RxBandit66 wrote:

Firing MT back in 2009 was the right move, and at the time, Bylsma was the perfect hire. However, keeping Bylsma after the 2012 Philly debacle was a big mistake. He should have been replaced back then.

:thumb , except I wouldn't have fired db until last year, but I'm generally really patient with coaches / disagree with most firings
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby owtahear on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:12 am

Dey say dey care, but I know dey don't care. Dey are soff....like I ever seen.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:13 am

Nizzy wrote:The thing I don't understand is.... Bylsma, himself has said "I need a full offseason to implement my system". It was still Therrien's style of play and team that won the cup. Bylsma was just a different voice and let them run free. What Therrien did for the organization from when he took over the team til fired, was actually very impressive. I'm surprised the team can get Therrien fired, but just do enough to keep Bylsma around. Too relaxed in the country club.

Lexieaux wants a country club atmosphere. He got the best coach on earth fired.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:15 am

llipgh2 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:The Habs will still be canon fodder against their likely opponent the B's (my unlearned opinion, of course).

Habs took 3 of 4 games against the Bruins this season. For whatever reason, they seem to have the B's number.

You may right, but I thought we had the Jackets number. Playoffs seem to change things. Detroit had the B's number this year. Listening to Babcock during an in-game interview, he said (paraphrasing) "the Wings needed to use their speed, the Wings were quicker and needed to use it, not get hung up along the wall or in the corners.." Which is the B's grinding game.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:17 am

They should have put him back in during the last year of his contract and let Bylsma go finish learning how to coach a team. Maybe he'd be getting close by now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 am

I see PR is approaching full meltdown mode already. This board has the collective mental fortitude of a 5th grader.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:37 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I see PR is approaching full meltdown mode already. This board has the collective mental fortitude of a 5th grader.

Don't insult 5th graders.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins