Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:33 pm

pens2005 wrote:Some people on these boards treat it like it's some college class where your posts are being assessed and critiqued by a professor. Sometimes it's ok to think a guy sucks. If you don't like it...grow up and move on.

I'd rather let a young player take the role of 3c than giving it to an old retread. I don't need stats to back that up. It's just what I would prefer.

It isn't a college class thing. Saying someone sucks as the ENTIRE base of your position on a guy is just, well to go with your analogy, primary school. As I mentioned, no player in the NHL sucks, that is why they are in the NHL. However, your comment "If you don't like it...grow up and move on." in defense of people being unable to put together a coherent though process is quite funny. Take a shot at people supposedly wanting college level communication abilities by telling them to grow up :thumb: . Yes, come back down here to a 3rd great level! Girls have cooties, player X sucks, excuse me while I go eat some paste. :fist:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
no name wrote:I don't think Mike Fisher has decided to return to Nashville yet, would he be an option?? If we had Fisher and Cullen as 4A and 4B rotating them in as our 3C seems you would be able to roll them the line up, keep thing their ice time at the same.

Just throwing another name in the mix.

He made over 4 million with the Preds last year so he isn't coming here at half the salary.

You honestly don't know that. I suggested him a few weeks back. It's worth exploring which I'm sure Rutherford has already.

Fisher sucks.

HA!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 pm

pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
no name wrote:I don't think Mike Fisher has decided to return to Nashville yet, would he be an option?? If we had Fisher and Cullen as 4A and 4B rotating them in as our 3C seems you would be able to roll them the line up, keep thing their ice time at the same.

He made over 4 million with the Preds last year so he isn't coming here at half the salary.

You honestly don't know that. I suggested him a few weeks back. It's worth exploring which I'm sure Rutherford has already.

Sometimes it's ok to think a guy isn't going to sign here. If you don't like it...grow up and move on..

... or some non-college critique level comment like that...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:43 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
sil wrote:So let's continue this Duchene idea...and go with Maatta, Jarry and a 1st for MD and whatever added on...(some middle pick/middle prospect come back to us)...

We'd have

Geuntzel | Crosby | Rust
Sheary | Malkin | Kessel
Hagelin | Duchene | Hornqvist
Wilson | Rowney | Reaves
x Kuhnhackel

Dumoulin | Letang
Cole | Schultz
Hunwick | Ruhwedel
x Pouliot

Murray
Niemi

Assuming $4,000,000 for Dumoulin and $3,500,000 for Sheary...and with no retention on Duchene...

The above 22-man roster leaves us with $838,333 in cap space.

Unless there is some other move planned (Hagelin or Sheary out for a D...plan for Johnson/Sprong/ZAR to step in)...the whole thing (to me) hinges on what the coaches think of Pouliot. If they truly think he's ready to play every night on NHL ice, than I could see them hitting go on the rumored Duchene trade involving Maatta (of course assuming that COL agrees to it).

Thoughts on Pouliot being the hinge here?

As you state above, it would fit this year. 833K is enough to call up another player from the minors, so they still have flexibility. The issues are really 2-3 years down the road.

I'm going to assume giving up Maatta, Jarry, and a 1st, the Penguins are going to resign Duchene. For now, let's just say he agrees to stay at 6M for another 3 years.
---2017-2018, Hornqvist needs to be extended. Really not sure where his value. Looking at what his numbers were before he signed his current deal, he has stayed really consistent. The economics of his numbers and salaries today they probably push his salary up to 5M. But then, his usage with Pittsburgh has gotten a bit whacky....often playing 3rd line. This is one issue.
---2017-2018, Bryan Rust is an RFA. He's likely going to jump from 640K up to 2.5-3.5M if he has another solid season like the past 2.
---2017-2018, Ian Cole is a UFA. If the Penguins plan to keep him, look for him to jump up to 3.5-4M based on his play the last 2 years.
---2017-2018, Daniel Sprong is an RFA. If he plays half a season in Pittsburgh and produces like his potential, the Penguins may look for maybe a 2M deal for him for 1 or 2 years. If he plays a full season and puts up a monster year, that number could push higher.

So, the future makeup and resignings is where bringing in Duchene gets tricky. One of Kessel, Sheary, or Hornqvist still need to be traded in the next 12 months, IMO, if Daniel Sprong plays to his potential. They'll need to make room for him to be somewhere in the top 9, most likely top 6.

I think you would have to move Sheary at some point along with Hagelin without adding much in salary from those transactions in order to open up enough money to sign both Hornqvist and Cole in 2018-19. With all of that movement would Duchene even be interested in signing here beyond his current deal?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:14 pm

I would add Duchene - if he is the bees knees, resigning him, letting hornqvist move on, Sprong playing RW in 17-18 from the get-go.

I think it would be okay - the issue for me is the next Guentzel deal, particularly if he gets to say 30 goals this year.

But if Crosby, Malkin, Duchene, Guentzel, Sheary, Kessel, Sprong, ZAR, and 'player X' (Archibald, Johnson, Wilson, maybe Rust if he can be retained, etc.) make up the top 9 a couple of years from now I think they will be okay.

To me that's 5 top fwds with the others being fast and skilled.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Maestro wrote:I would add Duchene - if he is the bees knees, resigning him, letting hornqvist move on, Sprong playing RW in 17-18 from the get-go.

I think it would be okay - the issue for me is the next Guentzel deal, particularly if he gets to say 30 goals this year.

But if Crosby, Malkin, Duchene, Guentzel, Sheary, Kessel, Sprong, ZAR, and 'player X' (Archibald, Johnson, Wilson, maybe Rust if he can be retained, etc.) make up the top 9 a couple of years from now I think they will be okay.

If the Penguins got Duchene for Maatta, Jarry, and a 1st, I'd like to see something like the lineup below as what the Penguins would come into the 2018-2019 season:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Rust-Malkin-Hornqvist
Aston-Reese-Duchene-Kessel
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves
xKuhnhackl, Archibald

You move Hagelin and Sheary, one of them bringing in some picks or higher end defensive prospects. This has ZAR shifting to LW. Hornqvist playing with Geno is a bit of a concern, but I can't see saddling Duchene with "grinder-type" guys in Hornqvist and ZAR. Maybe ZAR steps up and becomes the new Hornqvist, they keep Sheary with Crosby, and Malkin gets Sprong.

Lot of options, but essentially, 2 of Hornqvist, Hagelin, and Sheary would need to be moved in the next year as well. That may need to happen with our without Duchene coming, anyways.
FLPensFan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BlackAndGold on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:21 pm

Could Sheary, Jarry, 1st, future 3rd(or another prospect?, not Sprong nor ZAR) net Duchene?
BlackAndGold

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:32 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:Could Sheary, Jarry, 1st, future 3rd(or another prospect?, not Sprong nor ZAR) net Duchene?

Colorado wants a top 4 defenseman as part of the package, so Maatta would have to be included. Which brings up who replaces Maatta this year if he is included in the deal? Can't hold your breath that it's going to be Pouliot. Seems likely a 2nd deal would have to be made at some point.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BlackAndGold on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:39 pm

pens_CT wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:Could Sheary, Jarry, 1st, future 3rd(or another prospect?, not Sprong nor ZAR) net Duchene?

Colorado wants a top 4 defenseman as part of the package, so Maatta would have to be included. Which brings up who replaces Maatta this year if he is included in the deal? Can't hold your breath that it's going to be Pouliot. Seems likely a 2nd deal would have to be made at some point.

I would hate to see Maatta traded(He annoys me at time but I'm a fan). Could/would the 2nd deal give Colorado the top 4 defenseman they want?

Trying to think of a fair deal for both sides but with a potential 3 peat in sight, I have a hard time not being greedy.
BlackAndGold

Postby pens2005 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Jim wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Sometimes it's ok to think a guy isn't going to sign here. If you don't like it...grow up and move on..

... or some non-college critique level comment like that...

Right. So if you don't agree with it. Suck it up and move on. Or be weird like you and continue to post.

You're so strange. Lol.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Fisher sucks.

HA!

Wait...what are his metrics? You can't say that without a works cited page attached!!!!!
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Sheary as a primary piece back for Duchene doesn't make much sense from Colorado's perspective. He's a lesser player (though maybe not to a significant degree) controlled for the same amount of term. The only way the swap probably works if the Pens could use him to get the kind of D asset Colorado wants, or to get a D back that would make someone like Maatta expendable. I think most of those scenarios are only questionably going to make the Pens better when all the pieces are moved.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Maestro on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:56 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Maestro wrote:I would add Duchene - if he is the bees knees, resigning him, letting hornqvist move on, Sprong playing RW in 17-18 from the get-go.

If the Penguins got Duchene for Maatta, Jarry, and a 1st, I'd like to see something like the lineup below as what the Penguins would come into the 2018-2019 season:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Rust-Malkin-Hornqvist
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves
xKuhnhackl, Archibald

You move Hagelin and Sheary, one of them bringing in some picks or higher end defensive prospects. This has ZAR shifting to LW. Hornqvist playing with Geno is a bit of a concern, but I can't see saddling Duchene with "grinder-type" guys in Hornqvist and ZAR. Maybe ZAR steps up and becomes the new Hornqvist, they keep Sheary with Crosby, and Malkin gets Sprong.

Lot of options, but essentially, 2 of Hornqvist, Hagelin, and Sheary would need to be moved in the next year as well. That may need to happen with our without Duchene coming, anyways.

Yeah, i meant 18-19 - boy the years are just flying by! :)

I agree with it all except I'd have Sheary in/ Hornqvist out as I see their production similar, Sheary's style a better fit, and he's younger - but they will have many options as you say - I like the 2 year contract for the Pens because it will give them flexibility when they will certainly need it (with Guentzel and Murray making much more money).

It's interesting that the 2 year deal likely puts the 'Canes out of it (because they can't renegotiate a new deal now as they could if this was his last year so the asset loss would not be worth it)

The only team I see that could definitely trump the Pens in the deal would be the jackets - but if Colorado really doesn't believe in Ryan Murray, they may like Maatta more (as I would).

Reminds me of a couple summers ago with the Brandon Saad sweepstakes.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 pm

pens2005 wrote:
Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:He made over 4 million with the Preds last year so he isn't coming here at half the salary.

Fisher sucks.

HA!

Wait...what are his metrics? You can't say that without a works cited page attached!!!!!

ya missed the boat kid. What you are doing there... FLPensFan already did with the "Fisher sucks" post. You lost that one before you even started that reply.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Sheary as a primary piece back for Duchene doesn't make much sense from Colorado's perspective. He's a lesser player (though maybe not to a significant degree) controlled for the same amount of term. The only way the swap probably works if the Pens could use him to get the kind of D asset Colorado wants, or to get a D back that would make someone like Maatta expendable. I think most of those scenarios are only questionably going to make the Pens better when all the pieces are moved.

Unless there are other deals, The Pens can't bring in a $6M salary without $4m or so of salary going out. (That needs to be net, so if you trade 2 guys you have to add in the replacement salary for the 2nd roster spot too.)
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:39 pm

Maestro wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Rust-Malkin-Hornqvist
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves
xKuhnhackl, Archibald

Yeah, i meant 18-19 - boy the years are just flying by! :)

I agree with it all except I'd have Sheary in/ Hornqvist out as I see their production similar, Sheary's style a better fit, and he's younger - but they will have many options as you say - I like the 2 year contract for the Pens because it will give them flexibility when they will certainly need it (with Guentzel and Murray making much more money).

It's interesting that the 2 year deal likely puts the 'Canes out of it (because they can't renegotiate a new deal now as they could if this was his last year so the asset loss would not be worth it)

The only team I see that could definitely trump the Pens in the deal would be the jackets - but if Colorado really doesn't believe in Ryan Murray, they may like Maatta more (as I would).

Reminds me of a couple summers ago with the Brandon Saad sweepstakes.

The whole possibility of bringing in Duchene would probably be a lot easier if this was the 2018 Offseason. It's happening a year too early for the Penguins. If all this was occurring next year:
---Pens would know Sheary and Dumoulin salaries sit.
---Pens would have a better handle on where Guentzel may slot salary wise based on his 2nd season of output
---Pens would have a better idea of Sprong and ZAR performance
---Knowing Sprong and ZAR performance output at least in year one may give better direction on if ZAR can effectively replace Hornqvist, and if Sprong is ready for top 6 duty.
---Pens would be able to talk extension already.

Right now, everyone seems to be slotting Maatta in as 3rd pairing, with Dumoulin and Cole as the top 4 LD. I still think all 3 (Maatta, Dumoulin, and Cole) are 2nd pairing guys, and that Maatta has more value and upside over the other 2, but, that's why he is likely the most desirable trade piece we have on defense.

If the Penguins went after Duchene for said package, I'd either plan to ride Pouliot and evaluate at the trade deadline, or shop for a bottom pair defender from Vegas, who has like 11 defenseman on one-way deals with no waiver exemption. Vegas needs to deal....their big problem is they are trying to keep all the d-men everyone else would want (Schmidt, Theodore, Miller).
FLPensFan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Jim wrote:ya missed the boat kid. What you are doing there... FLPensFan already did with the "Fisher sucks" post. You lost that one before you even started that reply.

Nope...just proving how petty a few of you are.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dark_forces on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:55 pm

It's been mentioned before, but if there's one team that seems to be an obvious trading partner it's Vegas. The bulk of their centermen are ideal 3rd line types. I could see Eakin or Lindberg being fits. I remember being impressed watching Eakin because of his hustle, work ethic -- he's somebody that really gets in there and battles.
I think Lindberg's the type that's still gradually getting better and could play with more skilled linemates in a Sullivan system and take care of the little things - the small, professional level plays you don't always take notice of.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:15 pm

dark_forces wrote:It's been mentioned before, but if there's one team that seems to be an obvious trading partner it's Vegas. The bulk of their centermen are ideal 3rd line types. I could see Eakin or Lindberg being fits. I remember being impressed watching Eakin because of his hustle, work ethic -- he's somebody that really gets in there and battles.
I think Lindberg's the type that's still gradually getting better and could play with more skilled linemates in a Sullivan system and take care of the little things - the small, professional level plays you don't always take notice of.

What do they want in return that they don't have yet?

There's Hörnqvist, Hagelin, Sheary. One of those contracts plus a so-so prospect? Maybe including a 2nd rounder in 2057?
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:20 pm

pens2005 wrote:
Jim wrote:ya missed the boat kid. What you are doing there... FLPensFan already did with the "Fisher sucks" post. You lost that one before you even started that reply.

No, ya missed it.

And it is odd that you look into a mirror when you post.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dark_forces on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
dark_forces wrote:It's been mentioned before, but if there's one team that seems to be an obvious trading partner it's Vegas. The bulk of their centermen are ideal 3rd line types. I could see Eakin or Lindberg being fits. I remember being impressed watching Eakin because of his hustle, work ethic -- he's somebody that really gets in there and battles.

What do they want in return that they don't have yet?

There's Hörnqvist, Hagelin, Sheary. One of those contracts plus a so-so prospect? Maybe including a 2nd rounder in 2057?

If they would take Hagelin's salary back, I'll happily do it. No way I move Hornqvist. Sheary, perhaps, but I would want more than Lindberg back -- at least a 2nd round pick or they return they 2020 pick we gave them to ensure the drafting of Fleury.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens2005 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Jim wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

No, ya missed it.

Definitely didn't. And you're extremely strange. Like seriously.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dagny on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Sheary as a primary piece back for Duchene doesn't make much sense from Colorado's perspective. He's a lesser player (though maybe not to a significant degree) controlled for the same amount of term. The only way the swap probably works if the Pens could use him to get the kind of D asset Colorado wants, or to get a D back that would make someone like Maatta expendable. I think most of those scenarios are only questionably going to make the Pens better when all the pieces are moved.

HENRY HANK?!?!? :o :scared: :D :lol: :fist:

What a sight for sore eyes! I couldn't believe my eyes. I'm so happy to see you! I thought it was an old quoted post and had to scroll up real fast. If photobucket wasn't a greedy piece of crap now, I'd have posted my Where in the World is Henry Hank? pic. :lol:
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Ok, I got distracted by a blast from the past.

Kids, behave yourselves or take your off topic love fest :P to private message, please. :slug:
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm

pens2005 wrote:
Jim wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

No, ya missed it.

Definitely didn't. And you're extremely strange. Like seriously.

I compiled all of Jim's posts into a descriptive analytics model, and the results were a very low correlation (~2.583) to strangeness.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins