2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby BurghThing on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:06 am

Wonder if we can trade for the Sharks officials?
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:16 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Maestro wrote:The one thing is Schmaltz has looked very good at center for the Hawks.
Hartman should be RW and can move down to 3rd or 4th line.
Sheary as LW with Schmaltz and Kane. I think he'll be ok.
Cole obviously helps them.
Dea a center prospect they can use.

No Hawks scouts at the Penguins game tonight. As Dan Kingerski noted "Perhaps they finally realized they were not going to see Ian Cole play."

Or maybe they got word Sprong wasn't playing.....
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:36 am

Wait, what? When did I miss this??- "Friedman just confirmed Pens interest in Pageau."
Posted in Pageau value thread on hf at 9:18 p.m.
No link. :(
Edit-
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/satu ... s-day-day/
Mentioned with about a minute to go.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:29 am

From Ottawa Citizen a few days ago:
"It’s believed the club is listening on offers for Pageau, Dzingel and Brassard, but it’d be surprising if any of that trio was actually dealt."
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:07 pm

OK, I think these are my final all in or bust moves for this team. Who's ready?.........

Evander Kane (50% retained) for 2018 1st round pick, Connor Sheary, and Teddy Bluger.
JG Pageau for Bryan Rust and 2018 5th round pick (PIT)
A 2nd round pick (don't care the team, say EDM) for Ian Cole

Kane-Crosby-Sprong/Simon
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Pageau-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Reaves/Rowney

Getting Kane helps in two ways.....he helps for this year, and it also helps hedge your bets a little with Patric Hornqvist. If Hornqvist is sticking to his demand of 5 years and no less, I'd much rather give Kane 5 years at 6-6.5M than Hornqvist. This is based on skillset and age along, throwing out any off-ice stuff that people don't like about Kane that I think is getting overblown. I'd hate to lose Hornqvist, and Kane isn't the same type of in the crease agitator.....but if Hornqvist refuses to lower his demands, the Penguins have a Plan B already on their roster. LW is a position of weakness, and Kane would be an upgrade in overall skillset. He has speed, and he can play a physical game.

I'd hate to get rid of Rust, but, he's had a bit of a down season, and as they say, you have to give up something decent to get something decent. Rust has played about 140 games less than Pageau, but they are both .40 points per game players in their career. Moving Pageau frees up a spot for Colin White to come in and lock down the 3C spot for OTT.

For the above 2 trades to work, Cole would have to be sent out to free up cap space. I had wanted to keep him for extra depth, but that just won't work. The Penguins also have Corrado, Tinordi, Pedan, Trotman, Summers, and Czuczman in WBS who ALL have NHL games under their belt. They will be prior years Ruhwedel, Warsofsky, etc type fill ins.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Pageau would be a good get. Younger, signed 2 more years at $3.1 mill per. Solid 3C.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:56 pm

What is going rate for a higher quality #3 centerman like Bozak, Pageau, etc. in picks?

Didnt CHI pay a #1 pick for Vermette 2-3 years ago when he was the bee's-knees of depth centermen at the deadline? Is that still the going rate?

The longer our need for a 3C goes... The more I believe we are going to have to flip a 1st round pick, or flip Cole for a 2nd rounder, and give two 2nd round picks for a 3C.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:04 pm

BurghThing wrote:Wonder if we can trade for the Sharks officials?

Haha.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Evander Kane does not fill any need this team currently has.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:21 pm

DelPen wrote:Evander Kane does not fill any need this team currently has.

They need more 5 on 5 scoring, hopefully he checks that box.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:30 pm

When Hagelin is being trotted out as Malkin's LW, there's a need for Evander Kane.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:32 pm

pens_CT wrote:

They need more 5 on 5 scoring, hopefully he checks that box.

272 of his career 336 points are even strength. Check.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:35 pm

KG wrote:Pageau would be a good get. Younger, signed 2 more years at $3.1 mill per. Solid 3C.

Pageau for Sheary makes a lot of sense and has for awhile.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:36 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:What is going rate for a higher quality #3 centerman like Bozak, Pageau, etc. in picks?

Didnt CHI pay a #1 pick for Vermette 2-3 years ago when he was the bee's-knees of depth centermen at the deadline? Is that still the going rate?

The longer our need for a 3C goes... The more I believe we are going to have to flip a 1st round pick, or flip Cole for a 2nd rounder, and give two 2nd round picks for a 3C.

CHI paid a 1st round pick and also gave up a #6-#7 LHD, Klas Dahlbeck, in order to acquire Vermette.

So Vermette was widely regarded as the top rental player in early 2015... So that drove up his price somewhat compared to a Bozak type UFA this year IMO. Maybe Bozak would cost us Cole + a 3rd or 4th?

Pageau, with term remaining might cost us about the same as Vermette a few years ago... Cole + 2nd, since Cole is better than Dahlbeck?
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:19 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:What is going rate for a higher quality #3 centerman like Bozak, Pageau, etc. in picks?

CHI paid a 1st round pick and also gave up a #6-#7 LHD, Klas Dahlbeck, in order to acquire Vermette.

So Vermette was widely regarded as the top rental player in early 2015... So that drove up his price somewhat compared to a Bozak type UFA this year IMO. Maybe Bozak would cost us Cole + a 3rd or 4th?

Pageau, with term remaining might cost us about the same as Vermette a few years ago... Cole + 2nd, since Cole is better than Dahlbeck?

I'm not sure what Ottawa is trying to accomplish. With all the players they are supposedly listening to offers on, it seems possibly a mini rebuild. But I've also read their agenda might be to just clear space to resign Karlsson and another player or two.
Either way, I can't see them interested in an UFA such as Cole. If the later is true, they might not even be interested in Sheary's cap hit.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:40 pm

GMJR better give the team a jolt quick. Currently out of a wildcard and Columbus, Philly and the Rags all have games in hand. As do NJ and Carolina.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:59 pm

ville5 wrote:GMJR better give the team a jolt quick. Currently out of a wildcard and Columbus, Philly and the Rags all have games in hand. As do NJ and Carolina.

I'm really surprised a Cole trade hasn't gone down yet.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
ville5 wrote:GMJR better give the team a jolt quick. Currently out of a wildcard and Columbus, Philly and the Rags all have games in hand. As do NJ and Carolina.

That makes two of us. Being healthy scratched in St. Louis and Pittsburgh, you have to wonder if the offers are low ball and not to GMJR's liking?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:09 pm

ville5 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

That makes two of us. Being healthy scratched in St. Louis and Pittsburgh, you have to wonder if the offers are low ball and not to GMJR's liking?

Why wouldn't teams be low-balling the Pens? It only makes sense for them given the Pens are scratching him.

I can just hear teams saying if Cole isn't one of your best 6 D, how can you expect to get a 2nd rounder for a depth guy.

The whole situation has been butchered.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:16 pm

ville5 wrote:
I'm not sure what Ottawa is trying to accomplish. With all the players they are supposedly listening to offers on, it seems possibly a mini rebuild. But I've also read their agenda might be to just clear space to resign Karlsson and another player or two.
Either way, I can't see them interested in an UFA such as Cole. If the later is true, they might not even be interested in Sheary's cap hit.

Good point. If Cole's agent had a pre-arranged deal, maybe, but UFA prob does not help them.

It really seems more and more we are going to have to give up picks for a 3C... Not Cole.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 pm

ville5 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I think it is likely that if his agent still has permission to talk to teams, then either his agent is asking for too much term/money for teams, or teams don't want to give up what Rutherford wants.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 pm

1. Upgrades a weak, inconsistent LW position on this team.
2. Adds above average speed and additional physical element.
3. Adds even strength scoring ability.

Nope, nothing this team needs.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:24 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
ville5 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I think it is likely that if his agent still has permission to talk to teams, then either his agent is asking for too much term/money for teams, or teams don't want to give up what Rutherford wants.

I don't know why Cole would want to sign before hitting the market.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:07 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
ville5 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I don't know why Cole would want to sign before hitting the market.

Agent finds deal for good term, or salary, or fit/role/playing time better than what he has now.

No promises a #5 dman is going to get great value in market this summer.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Personally I think we give him up to someone desparate for defense help trying to make the playoffs for a pick and call it a day.

I dont think a 2nd is too much to ask for a rental if the team is desparate enough for defense help.

As others have mentioned... Cole has one of the lower cap friendly salaries as a rental than other top D options. Should make him somewhat more valuable as a rental.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins