Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby pens#1 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 pm

HNIC said tonight the Predators had a player that would be coming to the NHL from KHL once eliminated from there playoffs, and that could be the their only “major” add. If true would mean 1 less player at the deadline
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 pm

pens#1 wrote:HNIC said tonight the Predators had a player that would be coming to the NHL from KHL once eliminated from there playoffs, and that could be the their only “major” add. If true would mean 1 less player at the deadline

Tolvanen, their 1st round pick (#30) from last year.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:22 pm

Speaking of Brassard, anyone think that dumpster fire in Edmonton is ready to part ways with RNH?
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Speaking of Brassard, anyone think that dumpster fire in Edmonton is ready to part ways with RNH?

Isn’t he injured?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:14 am

Crashguy66 wrote:On another note, just saw Niemi got pulled by Habs after giving up 3 on 6 shots against Vegas.

Plekanec.

Sheary, Jarry, 2nd rounder or prospect.
Plekanec, MTL eats a bit of salary, low pick.

Anything's gotta be beter than that traffic pylon Niemi.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:15 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:Speaking of Brassard, anyone think that dumpster fire in Edmonton is ready to part ways with RNH?

Isn’t he injured?

He is injured. And, if either GM was smart, Ottawa and Edmonton would trade per what Travis Yost wrote. If Ottawa is looking to deal Hoffman and Brassard, trade Hoffman to Edmonton for RNH.

Edmonton needs quality wingers. RNH would be a few years younger and signed for more years than Brassard. Duchene and RNH would be a good 1-2,with Pageau/White as their 3C. Unfortunatley, it makes too much sense for Chiarelli, so it won't happen.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:14 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Crashguy66 wrote:On another note, just saw Niemi got pulled by Habs after giving up 3 on 6 shots against Vegas.

Plekanec.

Seriously? That is incredible overpayment for a 35 year old that'll be gone after the season. I'd just assume do nothing than that trade.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:47 am

Daniel wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

Plekanec.

Seriously? That is incredible overpayment for a 35 year old that'll be gone after the season. I'd just assume do nothing than that trade.

Jarry alone for Plekanec would possibly be an overpayment.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:43 am

Jim wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

Plekanec.

Send them DeSmith. More in lines with their needs, anyway.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 am

FLP brought up a good point in the GDT last night. Sheahan struggles against fast teams. Notice Sully moved Kessel up and down the lineup last night because the 3rd line wasn’t generating any offense.

It’s games like these that show the Pens need a better 3C. Until Brassard gets traded somewhere else, I’m holding out for him!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:10 am

KG wrote:FLP brought up a good point in the GDT last night. Sheahan struggles against fast teams. Notice Sully moved Kessel up and down the lineup last night because the 3rd line wasn’t generating any offense.

It’s games like these that show the Pens need a better 3C. Until Brassard gets traded somewhere else, I’m holding out for him!

I don't know about that assessment of Sheahan. I would need to see some stats to back that up. Also, FLP said someone mentioned to him... so it wasn't really his assessment.

As for Kessel moving up and down the lineup, the Canadian broadcast had some information on this. There are particular situations that Sully has Kessel with Geno versus Sheahan and it has held true game after game. It doesn't look like it is based off opponent's team speed.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 am

Jim wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

Plekanec.

I'd be willing to part with a 3rd rounder and Blueger for Plekanec. But again he has said publically he doesn't want to be traded. I don't want guys like that, I want guys who are hungry to win a Cup and want to be here.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:22 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Jim wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

Plekanec.

I'd be willing to part with a 3rd rounder and Blueger for Plekanec. But again he has said publically he doesn't want to be traded. I don't want guys like that, I want guys who are hungry to win a Cup and want to be here.

I do want guys like that. Guys who are proud and dont want to bail on their team. Believe me, you dont want guys like Kane who ask for a trade for years before he finally gets moved.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby State College Penguin on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:

Plekanec.

So, you want to give up that for a 35-year old rental that isn't even that good? All of the first three assets you mentioned are overpayment for a guy more likely going back to Montreal. A 3rd round pick is what he is worth. We can't do it unless MTL retains all the salary. Pass.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby State College Penguin on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:29 am

mayday56 wrote:our window is now...it probably wont be open when Gustavasson is ready for the NHL. We need a center and a LW. If it takes him and Sheary and /or Hunwick so be it. 2 or 3 or 4 years from now a lot could have happened. Crosby /Malkin/Kessel/Letang 1 or all might not be playing for various reasons, retirement, Injury ,traded who knows....we need to go all in Now!!!

I get a bit tired of this our window is now thing after winning back to back titles. People feel we need to be "all in". That is sort of idiotic in my mind since our farm system isn't loaded with assets. I wouldn't deal Gustavsson considering an expansion draft for Seattle will be happening in the next two years. He is more valuable than you think.

Sheary or Hunwick ... fine. Trading good assets for rentals and trash is stupid just so we can make another run.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby State College Penguin on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:30 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Great58 wrote:
brwi wrote:
wondermoose wrote:So you guys are, like, really dead set on Grabner, oye?

Might have to settle for him since he's the cheap option, or Pens really do nothing if they don't get Cullen or a Letestu. Standing pat is an option.
While Hunwick has not been good so far with the Pens, having him as the 7th d-man come playoff time and that long grind would be nice because it's not likely that no one in the top-6 is going to miss any games along the ride. Not sure moving him just for cap space is worth it.

I certainly don’t mind Hunwick as the 7th D and wouldn’t trade him just for a pick, UNLESS you then convert that cap space into a roster spot at LW or 3/4C. This is a little like Christmas Eve as a kid. I’m ok with standing pat, but know GMJR is always looking at the options to get better. Exciting to see what he can do.

GMJR won't stand pat. I just don't see it. It's not his MO. He makes moves every year at the deadline or the month before the deadline.

I agree with the Hunwick part, and that is where things get tricky. He'd be good to have as a 7th with Ruhwedel as an 8th, but he might be needed to free up cap space. I am fine with the WBS depth, since we have a lot of guys that have NHL experience (Corrado, Tinordi, Pedan, Summers, Trotman, Czuczman). We're not going to be able to get 10 NHL defenseman deep like some want. Had it last year because guys were injured before the deadline.

I think moving Sheary out is almost a foregone conclusion, but wouldn't be shocked if they had to move Hagelin (which I don't think they want to do, and I agree). I could also see them trying to move someone like Kuhnhackl with the emergence of ZAR and Simon's play this year.

I still think the best interview he has given and the most honesty he has talked about the deadline is when he talked with Josh Getzoff this week. He talked specifically about looking to make a move or two to free up cap space. You can find that interview summary and the link to the MP3 here: http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67747&start=1300#p3139528

The biggest problem is, teams that want a forward with defensive ability won't want Sheary. He's not a strong defensive player. He wouldn't really work well in a Guy Boucher system. They may have to flip him for a pick and then throw that pick into another deal.

It will be interesting to see who is acquired and who is shipped out.

I agree on Sheary and think the best fit for him might be Buffalo as part of a Kane package.

So, we are sending Buffalo a package of assets for a rental that is playing poor hockey and is a locker room cancer? Yep, that is the way to go. Evander Kane is a horrid fit for this organization in more ways than one.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby State College Penguin on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:33 am

pens#1 wrote:Not advocating for it, but could ZAR be the prospect moved over Sprong? Timing of his call up was because of injury but his play has had to result in a few GM’s getting a better look at him.

Sprong is the guy to move. Too many people here and other forums grossly overrate him. There is a reason why Simon and ZAR has passed him as far as importance to the Pens.

ZAR is Patric Hornqvist light. We probably can't resign PH after this year and will need to replace him. Trading ZAR makes no sense to me.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby State College Penguin on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 am

DelPen wrote:If the Leafs would want Hunwick back I would want to figure out a way to get Bozak in return too with enough salary retained to make it work and conditional picks depending how far we go. Start with a 3rd and if we get to the finals make it a 1st.

If you were Toronto and you needed D help, why would you send a competent C that is a pending FA for a depth Dman that isn't among the Pens top six D and a pick? I'm totally against anything sending a first round pick in a deal for a rental.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:56 am

I get a bit tired of this our window is now thing after winning back to back titles. People feel we need to be "all in". That is sort of idiotic in my mind since our farm system isn't loaded with assets. I wouldn't deal Gustavsson considering an expansion draft for Seattle will be happening in the next two years. He is more valuable than you think.

Sheary or Hunwick ... fine. Trading good assets for rentals and trash is stupid just so we can make another run.

I think it's just the most realistic way to look at it. Most likely, once Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel have declined and move on, the Pens' days of being serious Cup contenders are over for the time being. Their best chance of winning another Cup any time soon is within the next few years. And based on how they're now playing, they have as good a chance as any team to win the Cup now. And they have the rare chance to threepeat and seal themselves as a dynasty. I think it's entirely logical to go "all in" now and worry about five years down the line when it gets here. We're all in this to see championships. I would not take for granted the opportunity they have right now.

I think it's a fair argument that they may not have to do anything drastic and that making sweeping changes to make a splash could be counterproductive. As I've said, the less they subtract from the current team the better. Sprong and Gustavsson are the prospects with value to consider moving, and any draft pick should be in play. If they have to move any cap hits around, Hunwick and Sheary are options but again we have to consider how much we are really upgrading when we start moving pieces that are here.

I'm comfortable with the W, D, and G depth they have. They clearly need another center. They don't necessarily need to disrupt the roster or move high value assets to get that done.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby State College Penguin on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:59 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Kane LW
Vermette/Cullen/Letestu C
Oduya/Schenn D

I haven't crunched numbers, but I think it's doable. I also think it would put the Pens in about as good of a position that they can realistically expect to be in. I'd love to have Brassard, but their will be enough suitors with cap space that the Sens won't have to retain anything. Having term, and being probably the best of the available centers, probably spikes his value sky high. So, if you can't get that stud as a 3rd line center, I think this isn't a bad plan B. All you subtract from the roster is Sheary and Hunwick. You'd have to move somebody else to get to the 23 man limit, but also have both Simon and ZAR exempt from waivers. Things could still change between now and the 26th. Injuries, maybe a guy like ZAR changing their thinking, maybe Cole pissing off Sully. :) If the above played out, I'd be okay with it.

So, let's say Kane, Vermette, and Oduya are the targets. Kane and Vermette trades, we have those teams retain 50%. I'd imagine the trades look something like this:

Vermette (50% retained) for 2018 5th (PIT) and 2019 3rd rounder (ANA doesn't have their 2019 3rd)
Oduya for Hunwick and Dea. Sens get an extra depth defenseman at a cheap cost for next 2 years. (replaces Oduya and/or Wideman, who are UFA)
Kane (50% retained) for 1st, Sheary and Gusavsson and a 2018 5th round pick (becomes 2019 3rd round pick if Penguins resign Kane)

Kane-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR-Vermette-Simon/Reaves
xKuhnhackl, Reaves/Simon

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Cole-Oleksiak
xOduya, Ruhwedel

Murray
Jarry

Penguins actually would have 1.3M in cap space (wouldn't need to give up the extra pick for Vermette salary retention).

Can we stop throwing assets out for a 35-year old garbage rental in Vermette? I don't think he is an upgrade over Sheahan to be honest.

The deal for Kane is laughable. That is gross overpayment for a rental that isn't playing good hockey as well. He has character issues as well. That is an easy pass.

Have no problem with your last one. Have no idea what Ottawa would be thinking.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby State College Penguin on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:13 am

Henry Hank wrote:

I think it's just the most realistic way to look at it. Most likely, once Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel have declined and move on, the Pens' days of being serious Cup contenders are over for the time being. Their best chance of winning another Cup any time soon is within the next few years. And based on how they're now playing, they have as good a chance as any team to win the Cup now. And they have the rare chance to threepeat and seal themselves as a dynasty. I think it's entirely logical to go "all in" now and worry about five years down the line when it gets here. We're all in this to see championships. I would not take for granted the opportunity they have right now.

I think it's a fair argument that they may not have to do anything drastic and that making sweeping changes to make a splash could be counterproductive. As I've said, the less they subtract from the current team the better. Sprong and Gustavsson are the prospects with value to consider moving, and any draft pick should be in play. If they have to move any cap hits around, Hunwick and Sheary are options but again we have to consider how much we are really upgrading when we start moving pieces that are here.

I'm comfortable with the W, D, and G depth they have. They clearly need another center. They don't necessarily need to disrupt the roster or move high value assets to get that done.

If we hadn't won the back to back titles, then I agree. The window is closing and now is the time. But, we have two titles in two years. There is a way to compete and win without mortgaging the future. I can't stand deals for rentals involving more than a third round pick. That is throwing away good assets that you can't replace. The shear ridiculous ideas thrown out there to acquire Evander Kane, a pending free agent that isn't playing good hockey are mind boggling. A first, Sheary, Gustavsson and another pick for two months of Kane?

When Sid, Geno and Phil start to decline ... how about preparing for that and keeping your top assets so you don't instantly turn into Arizona or Buffalo? We have been very lucky with our farm call ups over the last few years. Sheary, Rust, Kuhnackl, Murray, Guentzel, Simon, Jarry and now ZAR have made pretty good impact on two Cups and this year. You need these types of players when your cap space is taken up by Sid, Geno, Letang, et al. You need quality youngsters at cheap prices to fill in the holes because of cap space. You can win without sacrificing the future. We have thrown away good assets for rentals that didn't work. Still p*ssed with the Iginla deal. We didn't need him ... had the best power play already at the time and that first could have been Ryan Hartman. He would have helped more at the time then Iginla did.

Gustavsson is a guy you don't deal, especially for a rental. There very well could be an expansion draft again soon. Jarry is probably exposed in that draft. What happens if he is taken?

Sprong? I have no problem moving him. I totally think people grossly overrate him. To me, he will be a good AHL player and a non impact NHLer. If someone wants to overpay for that, have at it. He is replaceable. Gustavsson is more important than Sprong moving forward and its not close in my eyes.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:16 am

The window is open until the likely lockout in 2020-2021. Any trade that maximizes the chances of winning in this year, '19 and '20, I'm fine with the impact on the years beyond. Any trade of a rental for this year that significantly worsens our chances in the immediate future, not so much.

Sprong I can keep or trade, for the right piece. I don't think ZAR and Simon getting playing time is a knock on him as much as they are different players at different points of their development.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 am

When Sid, Geno and Phil start to decline ... how about preparing for that and keeping your top assets so you don't instantly turn into Arizona or Buffalo?

Based on the Pens history and recent history in the NHL, that may be the best course of action anyway. It's going to be extremely difficult to replace elite players without tanking. The Pens and Blackhawks have won most of the recent Cups and laid the foundation by being terrible at the right time.

Gustavsson is a guy you don't deal, especially for a rental. There very well could be an expansion draft again soon. Jarry is probably exposed in that draft. What happens if he is taken?

They'd have Murray? He's probably their goalie for at least the next decade. I'm not going to lose sleep over possibly losing the back-up goalie in an expansion draft in a few years. There's way too many variables there. Jarry and Gustavsson could turn into nothing anyway.

Nothing compares to winning a championship. It's a rare opportunity to be a real contender and I think it's pretty much always the right thing to go for it. The Pirates are a great example. It was fun when they were contending for a few years, but at the end of the day they won nothing and clung to the future, which didn't turn out so bright. The Pens' stars could quickly stop being elite, or have bad injuries crop up again, and the window could slam shut.

I don't see trading draft picks and these prospects as mortgaging the future anyway. The Pens have been trading draft picks for years, and they've still ended up winning the last two Cups and have a very deep team. They've had as many top prospects burn out into nothing than they have had pan out.

I don't entirely disagree with you. Going all out to bring in Kane is a questionable move. I think making a big move to make a big move could be counterproductive. Like if they move out Hagelin, who is playing very good hockey, because they need his cap space.

It's all probabilities, though. They aren't likely to face a higher chance of winning the Cup anytime soon compared to what they have this year. Sprong, Gustavsson, and anybody they would draft with their picks this year are more likely to bust than they are to be franchise-altering players. I trade any of those guys if it means making this year's team more likely to win the Cup. They will be able to move on without them afterwards.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:29 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
KG wrote:FLP brought up a good point in the GDT last night. Sheahan struggles against fast teams. Notice Sully moved Kessel up and down the lineup last night because the 3rd line wasn’t generating any offense.

I don't know about that assessment of Sheahan. I would need to see some stats to back that up. Also, FLP said someone mentioned to him... so it wasn't really his assessment.

As for Kessel moving up and down the lineup, the Canadian broadcast had some information on this. There are particular situations that Sully has Kessel with Geno versus Sheahan and it has held true game after game. It doesn't look like it is based off opponent's team speed.

It needs a few more games to notice a trend. He wasn't awful last night, but he wasn't as noticeable offensively and setting up plays last night for sure. CBJ wouldn't be a good game to judge. Upcoming games against Carolina and NJ will tell a better story, but NJ is after the deadline.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:31 am

State College Penguin wrote:
mayday56 wrote:our window is now...it probably wont be open when Gustavasson is ready for the NHL. We need a center and a LW. If it takes him and Sheary and /or Hunwick so be it. 2 or 3 or 4 years from now a lot could have happened. Crosby /Malkin/Kessel/Letang 1 or all might not be playing for various reasons, retirement, Injury ,traded who knows....we need to go all in Now!!!

Gustavsson likely won't even be eligible for the expansion draft, just like Jarry was not this past draft. Jarry or DeSmith.....or any other goalie we sign between now and the expansion draft will be eligible. I wouldn't hang onto Gustavsson simply because of an expansion draft 2-3 years down the road.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins