2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby Daniel on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:35 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
That would be horrible IMO, but also unlikely with Phil, Horny, and Rust locked in to 3 spots. Sheary and Reaves fighting for the other two RW spots.

Would it really be horrible? It's the exact set-up they had last year on the way to the Cup. The year before, it was similar with Fehr in that spot instead.

I doubt they're so stuck on it that they will not dress a lineup without a right-handed C option. But it's all about optimizing the lineup. I'm sure, in an ideal situation, they have a good right-handed C option for match-up purposes. Maybe that explains why they've been strongly linked to Letestu at times.

Let just say faceoffs, and a right-handed faceoff man is important in any 3C/4C the Penguins acquire. Who does that leave as possibilities?

Glendening, Letestu, Ryan, Pageau, Bozak. That's pretty much THE list of guys above 50% faceoffs who are right handed, and I don't think Bozak is a possibility. One other intriguing name, but he is about a career 48% faceoff guy, would be Derek Stepan. Not sure if Arizona would trade him, and if they would, they would have to retain salary, but he's been a pretty consistent 15-20 goal, 50 plus point scorer.

I thought Brassard was a lot better on faceoffs. He's only at 49.7% overall, 50.2% even strength. Not horrible, but not a dominate faceoff guy by any means.

If I look at lefty centers that may be available for 3C/4C, Vermette is 2nd in the league for faceoff % by a lefty. Sheahan is 6th overall for leftys. Lowry, Desharnais, JT Miller, Cullen, Bonino.

Just looking at that list, realizing the Penguins had Crosby, Malkin, Bonino, Cullen last year.....all leftys, and they did just fine......I saw RH/LH of center acquired is going to have a minor impact. The Penguins can get by. Sheahan and Vermette would give the Penguins the 2nd and 15th overall faceoff guy (all handedness). They could dress Rowney if they REALLY thought they were losing a lot of draws due to lack of a righty.

Derek Stepan is intriguing for sure. I wonder if the usual suspects (Sprong, Gustavsson, Sheary, etc) would get him. I think he would mean no Hornqvist and Hagelin, but I think the Pens can replace them with one of the WBS kids.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:37 pm

ville5 wrote:Kings, Knights, Sens and Hawks scouts at the game.

Thanks ville.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:44 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:The only thing worse than some of these lineups people are posting and trying to justify (Hagelin, Rust and Reese as 3 of the 1st and 2nd line winger pairs) are the trade suggestions.

Before suggesting trades actually bother looking at cap implications. Saying "so-n-so retains some salary" doesn't always work.

This is the same Aston-Reese that you called a bust after he didn’t score a point in his first five AHL games. He probably isn’t a first line winger, neither is Sheary, but they won back to back cups with him playing in that role.

I didn't call him a bust, ever. However, I probably mocked the fans that cried over not signing Vesey and along those lines acted like signing Reese was like drafting another Crosby. So in that, he hasn't quite lived up to the asinine hype some threw at his signing. But again, that is more a way to mock poster stupidity without breaking board rules.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Its surprising how much people still get caught up in what they perceive as traditional first or second line wingers. Does it really matter when youre winning? If this team has proven anything over the past few seasons it's depth and balance wins. Hornqvist is probably not a traditional 5 million guy either but he's worth his weight in gold to this team. Sometimes you just gotta go with what works as opposed to what looks best on paper.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:46 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Its surprising how much people still get caught up in what they perceive as traditional first or second line wingers. Does it really matter when youre winning? If this team has proven anything over the past few seasons it's depth and balance wins. Hornqvist is probably not a traditional 5 million guy either but he's worth his weight in gold to this team. Sometimes you just gotta go with what works as opposed to what looks best on paper.

I'm more caught up in consistency. I consider Phil and Hornqvist traditional top 6 wingers because of the production they put up, AND the year over year consistency. Sheary played at a top 6 rate last year, but this year, his production has fallen off by almost half. Hard to predict which Sheary you get with that type of inconsistency.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:Its surprising how much people still get caught up in what they perceive as traditional first or second line wingers. Does it really matter when youre winning? If this team has proven anything over the past few seasons it's depth and balance wins. Hornqvist is probably not a traditional 5 million guy either but he's worth his weight in gold to this team. Sometimes you just gotta go with what works as opposed to what looks best on paper.

I'm more caught up in consistency. I consider Phil and Hornqvist traditional top 6 wingers because of the production they put up, AND the year over year consistency. Sheary played at a top 6 rate last year, but this year, his production has fallen off by almost half. Hard to predict which Sheary you get with that type of inconsistency.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he started being more consistent when he had consistent line mates. Guys like Phil and Hornqvist are experienced enough to adapt to the changes of linemates, Jake just isn't at this point.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Its surprising how much people still get caught up in what they perceive as its working so why make it better. Just because a house of cards stands on its own it does not mean that it is stable.

And when did Hornqvist become a 5 million guy?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkintent on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Of course people want their team to be better if possible but when you're paying 87, 71, 81, 58 as much as they are, who can you afford to get? Who are you trading and to whom?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Daniel on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 pm

Malkintent wrote:Of course people want their team to be better if possible but when you're paying 87, 71, 81, 58 as much as they are, who can you afford to get? Who are you trading and to whom?

I honestly believe the team is great because of the sum of it's parts. Sure, they're top heavy with Geno and Sid and Letang and now Phil, but they've been that way since 2010. It wasn't until they started to trust their own prospects that the team went from disappointing to winning. Of course, Sullivan keeping them at more of an even keel, rather than griping and losing focus all the time helps.

We talk about getting that rumored top end player, but isn't that what Shero kept doing with no success?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saints11 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:23 am

The Penguins have adapted into the perfect cap era team. I say this because they have been able to balance their roster between their stars and their young players. The stars remain and they develop new younger players to replace players who move off their ELC’s or RFA status. An example could actually be Bonino. The Pens acquired him with a manageable contract, but, when it was time for his FA contract, the Pens let him walk and they acquired Sheahan on a lesser contract. The talk now includes moving Sheary, who is now on a 3 million contract, and could possibly be replaced by Simon or ZAR. It is their way of managing the cap.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 am

It is absolutely refreshing to finally be generating assets internally like Sheary, guentzel, etc for free instead of trading away constantly for something of value. That's how the wings dominated for so long.

On another note, I would like a Photoshop of ZAR's face on General Zod....Kneel before ZAR!
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:07 am

saints11 wrote:The Penguins have adapted into the perfect cap era team. I say this because they have been able to balance their roster between their stars and their young players. The stars remain and they develop new younger players to replace players who move off their ELC’s or RFA status. An example could actually be Bonino. The Pens acquired him with a manageable contract, but, when it was time for his FA contract, the Pens let him walk and they acquired Sheahan on a lesser contract. The talk now includes moving Sheary, who is now on a 3 million contract, and could possibly be replaced by Simon or ZAR. It is their way of managing the cap.

To add, they develop younger players without having top picks. They also get players from anywhere they can. For a team that constantly drafts after 20 in the draft, the Pens system isn't bad. When the window closes, it'll close pretty hard, but I think it'll be several more years.

UDFA - Aston-Reese, Sheary
Drafted after the 2nd round - Guentzel, Rust, Simon, Murray, Kuhnhackl
Under the radar trade - Schultz, Sheahan, Oleksiak

In the minors -

UDFA - DeSmith, Dea, Johnson, Prow, Bengtsson, DiPauli, Bellerive
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:31 am

I’d like to get more depth but I think everyone can say that the only dire need is a center upgrade from Rowney. Letestu would still be a solid addition and fits what Sullivan wants from his players.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51 am

Week from today deadline day. Hoping for an active day!

Past couple have been total duds.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:10 am

I'm really thinking that with the Penguins off until Friday, GMJR gets at least one deal done before the Canes game Friday night. Just my hunch.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:49 am

I'm also thinking more and more that Letestu or Vermette (Letestu if the RH thing is a big concern) is going to be the center move. If you look at Sheahan's body of work so far, he's currently on pace for roughly 11 goals, 20 assists, 31 points. The goal total is a bit lower than what I would like to see, but points overall from 3C production is within range.

But then consider, Sheahan had only 1 assist in his 1st 18 games of the season. You take those 1st 18 games out of the equation, and Sheahan is over a half a point per game player. Since November 1st, Sheahan has a 3 game, a 4 game, and a 5 game pointless streak. He's been very reliable. I also happened to see that his pointless streaks came against a lot of heavier teams (CBJ, ANA, COL, ARZ) & (SJ, LA, ANA, NYR, DET). I think the faster team thing I mentioned before is likely overblown.

Being one of the top 15 faceoff guys in the league, being a good PK guy, and with the production he has put up lately, the Penguins may indeed have their young-ish (he's 26) 3C for some time. The Penguins should look to extend him, maybe on a 2-year deal worth a little over 3M. He continues to play at this level, extend him longer.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am

FLPensFan wrote:I'm really thinking that with the Penguins off until Friday, GMJR gets at least one deal done before the Canes game Friday night. Just my hunch.

Seems plausible. I just dont know what to think about Sheahan. He's played well over this stretch of games, but you always have to wonder if his play is fools gold. Is this really the player he is or is he just on a hot streak playing above his head.

Same goes for Rust. I think since he's gotten back from injury he's been a point per game guy. He is unlikely to do that over the course of half a season let alone a full one.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:47 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I'm really thinking that with the Penguins off until Friday, GMJR gets at least one deal done before the Canes game Friday night. Just my hunch.

Seems plausible. I just dont know what to think about Sheahan. He's played well over this stretch of games, but you always have to wonder if his play is fools gold. Is this really the player he is or is he just on a hot streak playing above his head.

Same goes for Rust. I think since he's gotten back from injury he's been a point per game guy. He is unlikely to do that over the course of half a season let alone a full one.

He's really on pace for what he did in Detroit, other than his abysmal 2016-17 season. Add in normal growth for a player, and playing with Kessel and Jake, and I think it's sustainable.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PENGUINS UK on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 am

Rust (major Gritt) and Sheahan should not be traded in my opinion unless a major trade is pulled off which i personally don't think we need. I think the only players on the team that are expendable are Letang, Sheary, Ruhwedal, Reaves. I would not trade Hunwick, an injury to someone in the top six will need a decent defensive player to cover for injuries (unless the trade returns better) Letang is a great player, but we obviously can win without him! I would hate to see him go, but it is business. 7 Million contract would be great to dismiss!
PENGUINS UK
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PENGUINS UK on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 am

Rust (major Gritt) and Sheahan should not be traded in my opinion unless a major trade is pulled off which i personally don't think we need. I think the only players on the team that are expendable are Letang, Sheary, Ruhwedal, Reaves. I would not trade Hunwick, an injury to someone in the top six will need a decent defensive player to cover for injuries (unless the trade returns better) Letang is a great player, but we obviously can win without him! I would hate to see him go, but it is business. 7 Million contract would be great to dismiss!
PENGUINS UK
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 am

PENGUINS UK wrote:Rust (major Gritt) and Sheahan should not be traded in my opinion unless a major trade is pulled off which i personally don't think we need. I think the only players on the team that are expendable are Letang, Sheary, Ruhwedal, Reaves. I would not trade Hunwick, an injury to someone in the top six will need a decent defensive player to cover for injuries (unless the trade returns better) Letang is a great player, but we obviously can win without him! I would hate to see him go, but it is business. 7 Million contract would be great to dismiss!

I'd rather send out Hunwick and bring in another defenseman. Hunwick just hasn't fit in.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:02 am

PENGUINS UK wrote:Rust (major Gritt) and Sheahan should not be traded in my opinion unless a major trade is pulled off which i personally don't think we need. I think the only players on the team that are expendable are Letang, Sheary, Ruhwedal, Reaves. I would not trade Hunwick, an injury to someone in the top six will need a decent defensive player to cover for injuries (unless the trade returns better) Letang is a great player, but we obviously can win without him! I would hate to see him go, but it is business. 7 Million contract would be great to dismiss!

You're saying Hunwick is a decent defensive player? You hate Letang's contract but like Hunwick's as a 7th D?

Ship out Hunwick and use Ruhwedel if necessary.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 am

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

He's really on pace for what he did in Detroit, other than his abysmal 2016-17 season. Add in normal growth for a player, and playing with Kessel and Jake, and I think it's sustainable.

I think the Pens have no other choice than to assume Sheahan can handle that role into the playoffs. I don't see a realistic trade, they can make for someone like Brassard who would be an offensive upgrade. Get a Rowney replacement for the 4th line, and maybe upgrade the scoring depth at LW. Those are the most likely moves that will happen at or before the deadline.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 am

FLPensFan wrote:

I'd rather send out Hunwick and bring in another defenseman. Hunwick just hasn't fit in.

I guess the question is how much do you want to spend in assets to bring in a 7th or 8th defensemen who is going to eat nachos in the press box. Unless they can make another Scuderi for Daley type of move that frees them on Hunwick and brings in a guy more suitable for the Pens style of play.
Last edited by pens_CT on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:15 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I guess the question is how much do you want to spend in assets to bring in a 7th or 8th defensemen who is going to eat nachos in the press box. I don't disagree about Hunwick, and moving him frees up some cap space. Can GMJR find another Trevor Dailey type of player out there?

Find a taker for Hunwick, and then go get Oduya. Cheap rental, lots of experience.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins