2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby State College Penguin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:57 pm

KG wrote:Buffalo taking back Sheary at $3mill cap hit isn’t a bad thing.

State doesn’t want to add anyone .

Sheary who is nothing without Sid and potentially a 31st overall pick for a top 6 winger isn’t much.

I do, but I don't want to see anything remotely foolish like you have been suggesting.

Kane is a freakin rental and a bad egg. That is a bad idea all the way around. That is a true waste of assets.
Last edited by State College Penguin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:02 pm

I think a lot of these guys who are rumored to be available will become less expensive as the deadline gets closer. No team is going to give up the equivalent of a 1st round pick, a teams best prospect (Sprong), and a really fantastic super cheap young roster winger (Sheary) for a 31 year old Center who makes 5 million a year and never won anything.

That is exactly what we did to land Marian Hossa. Believe me, Marian Hossa is not comparable asset-wise to Brassard. Not even close. With that Hossa trade we also got Dupuis by the way.

Ugh. I sure do hope what everyone here things we need to acquire a guy like Brassard is far from the truth.

I would much rather roll with what we have and keep guys like Sheary, Sprong, and have our 1st round pick this summer. I am not convinced that even a Sheary / Brassard swap is a win for us. I would miss what Sheary brings every single night.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby State College Penguin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:04 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
State College Penguin wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Pitts wrote:Didn't see this posted, looks like our Brassard dream (hope) is alive:

Darren Dreger
‏Verified account @DarrenDreger
3h3 hours ago

Brassard is an interesting target this week. Sens need to make a hockey deal. Multiple teams, including Pittsburgh, are in the mix.

Rutherford is always looking to land the big fish. I don't think he has enough disposable assets to make a trade for Brassard.

We are hard to play against now with Sheahan at 3C. Imagine Brassard at 3C and Sheahan at 4c. That wouldn't be fair with the way things are going. I don't like the status of our farm system meaning true young options to play in the league down the road because we have thrown away a lot of assets on rentals that never materialized. I think we have a handful of assets that we can throw at Ottawa to get Brassard provided Hunwick is moved to free up space. Sprong is one that I have zero problem with moving. I don't like moving a first round pick but for something like Hunwick, Sprong and a 1st, I'd do it because Brassard isn't a rental.

Our farm system is here now: Sheary, ZAR, Guentzel, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Simon, eventually Sprong, maybe Blueger and DiPauli.

The Penguins have added an influx of youth over the past 3 seasons. There isn't a lot right now that is close to NHL play. The Penguins can afford to strip a little of it and continue to stock up down the road. You give up a Sheary and a Gustavsson, you've still got a boat load of 25 or under guys on this team for the foreseeable future.

Let's tone it down on Sprong. He is such a suspect and I really don't think he will be back up. Believe he will thankfully be moved. People grossly overrate him. Trust me. This comes from someone who has seen him play at WBS. Good AHL player, but ...

DiPauli, not sure he will make it up.

Yes, our farm system is up now. We have few true assets remaining that I feel confident that will be impact down the road. In five years, this organization will need every good asset imaginable to reboot totally when Geno, Crosby, Kessel and Letang are gone. If we keep going "all in" on these runs, which we have won back to back, we will be closer to Arizona than competitive.

I'm not against dealing Sheary. I'm totally against dealing Gus. Why? The expansion draft that will happen two years from now. I'm positive Seattle will be in. We will have to expose one goalie at the draft - Murray or Jarry and Pittsburgh will lose one of them. Its someone like Gus that you need to keep instead of move. Those two years are used for development to get him ready for WBS. Sorry, I think you are truly off base with your idea and reasoning for moving Gus.

You move Sprong before him and that shouldn't be up for debate in my eyes to be honest. He to me is insert your good AHL player that doesn't do much in the NHL when called upon.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 pm

wondermoose wrote:Evander Kane has flatlined since the New Year. 3 goals, 1 assist in 22 games. Why anyone would give up anything of value for him is beyond me. Not to mention he's coming from Buffalo - if they want him, do something about it in the offseason and start the repairs then. Doing it on the fly is a no-no.

No thanks. No gracias. Non, merci. Nein danke. 不,谢谢. Нет, спасибо. لا، شكرا. Nej tack. Ei kiitos. Nei takk.

I want nothing to do with Evander Kane. Nothing. Let him go to a Flyers team. Seriously, I doubt any team gives up much to acquire him. He is up for a rude awakening this summer when contract time comes around. GM's are smart. Look what happened with Semin. The guy was all kinds of talent and no team other than our GM would even look at him. Hopefully JR put that little lesson in his back pocket and passes up this 'golden opportunity'.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby State College Penguin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:17 pm

pens_CT wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Pitts wrote:Didn't see this posted, looks like our Brassard dream (hope) is alive:

Darren Dreger
3h3 hours ago

Brassard is an interesting target this week. Sens need to make a hockey deal. Multiple teams, including Pittsburgh, are in the mix.

Rutherford is always looking to land the big fish. I don't think he has enough disposable assets to make a trade for Brassard.

We are hard to play against now with Sheahan at 3C. Imagine Brassard at 3C and Sheahan at 4c. That wouldn't be fair with the way things are going. I don't like the status of our farm system meaning true young options to play in the league down the road because we have thrown away a lot of assets on rentals that never materialized. I think we have a handful of assets that we can throw at Ottawa to get Brassard provided Hunwick is moved to free up space. Sprong is one that I have zero problem with moving. I don't like moving a first round pick but for something like Hunwick, Sprong and a 1st, I'd do it because Brassard isn't a rental.

What assets has Rutherford thrown away on rentals? He gave up picks for Hainsey and Streit because he needed blue line depth after Letang's injury.

This organization in general has a horrid history of dealing away good assets for rentals. This isn't just limited to Rutherford. His stupid move dealing a 1st to Edmonton for Perron was dumb. DP was good for a week and then flamed miserably. The only good - we got Hags for him. You can't keep throwing away picks like this organization routinely does because the way the organization is up against the cap and you need good young talent at cheap costs to supplement the roster.

A lot of my problems go back to Shero ... a first for Iginla (he certainly wasn't needed and his excuse to acquiring him was lame); two second round picks for Murray, a Dman that was a healthy scratch in sJ for two weeks ... a 3rd and 5th for Marcel Goc was overpayment for a non descriptor fourth line guy.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:32 pm

So what did Shero do when he had first round picks he drafted guys like Bennett, Morrow and Pouliot. You might as well trade picks if that's who you are going to draft in the first round.

You do whatever it takes to win while you still have 87 and 71. You deal with the consequences down the road after they are gone.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 pm

$5M is passed "a lot" for a 3C.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:52 pm

I still haven't seen it demonstrated that trading the draft picks had poor downstream effects. The 2013 draft, after probably Shero's most aggressive trade deadline, produced Jarry and Guentzel by the way.

This isn't just limited to Rutherford. His stupid move dealing a 1st to Edmonton for Perron was dumb. DP was good for a week and then flamed miserably. The only good - we got Hags for him.

What's the point here? The first round pick ultimately turned into Hagelin, who played a big part in the 2016 Cup and is still a productive member of the team two years after they got him.

I don't understand the obsession with the draft picks. The point is to get better now and win now, which they've done both of many times in the past decade. And they're clearly doing a good job keeping the pipeline going because they've drafted well in the later rounds, made some good undrafted free agent signings, and bought low on some well scouted fliers (eg Schultz, now Sheahan and Oleksiak). Again, if the recent history is what we make the plan based on, I can't understand how anyone comes to a different conclusion. They have continually uncovered quality young talent, won back-to-back Cups, and are primed to make a run at a third. They literally could not have done this better.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:56 pm

I dont think a 3c is needed. Sheehan looks good, get letestu or Plakanec for 4c and if you can flip Sheary for an upgrade do it. If you can pull a 1 for one hunwick for an upgrade do it to.

I do agree with most posters, the time is now, we are playing great and it wouldnt be bad to go all in.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby State College Penguin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:43 pm

pens_CT wrote:So what did Shero do when he had first round picks he drafted guys like Bennett, Morrow and Pouliot. You might as well trade picks if that's who you are going to draft in the first round.

You do whatever it takes to win while you still have 87 and 71. You deal with the consequences down the road after they are gone.

I don't want to hear you whine is all the sudden we are the Coyotes for doing foolish deals. You have to keep some valuable assets yourself.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby State College Penguin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I still haven't seen it demonstrated that trading the draft picks had poor downstream effects. The 2013 draft, after probably Shero's most aggressive trade deadline, produced Jarry and Guentzel by the way.

This isn't just limited to Rutherford. His stupid move dealing a 1st to Edmonton for Perron was dumb. DP was good for a week and then flamed miserably. The only good - we got Hags for him.

What's the point here? The first round pick ultimately turned into Hagelin, who played a big part in the 2016 Cup and is still a productive member of the team two years after they got him.

I don't understand the obsession with the draft picks. The point is to get better now and win now, which they've done both of many times in the past decade. And they're clearly doing a good job keeping the pipeline going because they've drafted well in the later rounds, made some good undrafted free agent signings, and bought low on some well scouted fliers (eg Schultz, now Sheahan and Oleksiak). Again, if the recent history is what we make the plan based on, I can't understand how anyone comes to a different conclusion. They have continually uncovered quality young talent, won back-to-back Cups, and are primed to make a run at a third. They literally could not have done this better.

Cool, so you want to be the Arizona Coyotes after Sid, Geno and crew are gone and the hell with having some degree of assets in the system. Got it. I think you can have it both ways ... win and collect assets. Reckless deals for rentals are bad. Overpayments for questionable talents is worse. Schultz, Sheahan and Oleksiak cost very little in the grand scheme of things. Those aren't the examples I'm talking about.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Darren Dreger
3h3 hours ago

TIOPS is saying that Ottawa is asking about Sheahan?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cojac on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Pens only need a center, because they’re 1 injury away from Carter Rowney as your 3rd line center. I would put, Sheary in play, 1st rd pick, any prospect not named ZAR.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby State College Penguin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I still haven't seen it demonstrated that trading the draft picks had poor downstream effects. The 2013 draft, after probably Shero's most aggressive trade deadline, produced Jarry and Guentzel by the way.

Draft picks add talent to a farm system that isn't exactly busting with talent. I value them with the understanding you aren't keeping all. Keep trading away your assets, you can't add much. Agree to disagree. You need to keep some.

You can still put yourself in position to win a Cup without sacrificing much future.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BfromD on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:07 pm

Brassard is a beast in the playoffs.

Bonino (playoffs): 75GP, 14G, 24A, 40Pts
Brassard (playoffs): 78GP, 22G, 33A, 55Pts

If GMJR can swing it, likely having to find a taker for Hunwick to clear salary AND give up multiple top-end prospects from the shallow pool that isn't already called up, he should absolutely do it IMO.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Cool, so you want to be the Arizona Coyotes after Sid, Geno and crew are gone and the hell with having some degree of assets in the system. Got it. I think you can have it both ways ... win and collect assets. Reckless deals for rentals are bad. Overpayments for questionable talents is worse. Schultz, Sheahan and Oleksiak cost very little in the grand scheme of things. Those aren't the examples I'm talking about.

I think no matter what the Pens do, they'll become as bad as the Coyotes, difference is it won't be for as long. Find me 2 people drafted after the 20th pick that are suitable replacements for Sid and Geno? They'll have to be a top 5 pick for a couple of years to recoup the losses of franchise players.

I agree that RS gave up draft picks for worthless players, but JR hasn't wasted draft picks for no return. Mark Streit wasn't really worth a 4th, but you won't get a superstar in the 4th round so not a big loss. Don't really like giving up a 1st round pick for David Perron, but do the Pens win 2 cups with Klinkhammer and a 2015 1st round pick (Mathew Barzal)? The Winnick trade wasn't great, but not a big deal.

Think about it this way, they lost 8 draft picks via trades and got ZAR, Sheary, Adam Johnson, Prow, DiPauli, Bengtsson, DeSmith, Dea, Bellerive as UDFA in recent years.

Doesn't matter where they stock the farm system, they won't stock it with bluechip prospects from their draft position so if they can trade a draft pick and win a Stanley Cup and sign a UDFA that summer, I'll take it. Any of the picks they traded could easily be replaced by a UDFA.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 pm

pens_CT wrote:So what did Shero do when he had first round picks he drafted guys like Bennett, Morrow and Pouliot. You might as well trade picks if that's who you are going to draft in the first round.

I don't want to hear you whine is all the sudden we are the Coyotes for doing foolish deals. You have to keep some valuable assets yourself.

Well, after all the Cups Arizona has won, it is a pretty comparable situation... :roll: I hope you realize there is a big difference between a building/re-building franchise and a two-time defending Stanley Cup franchise. No amount of draft picks the Pens will get in the near future will replace Sid and Geno. They have a winning roster now, and you absolutely sacrifice the future (in terms of unknown future, late-round, draft picks) as long as you can maximize the assets you have now. Hoarding draft picks is lunacy for this franchise right now. There will be a down-turn in the future... there is simply no avoiding that. You do not replace generational talents like Lemieux, Crosby, or Malkin easily. If you don't make the most of what you have while you have them, you're simply wasting the gifts you have been given.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:41 pm

I'm fairly certain the Pens won't hire a sophomore majoring in analytics and data science to be their GM like the Coyotes did.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 pm

Sigwolf wrote:

Well, after all the Cups Arizona has won, it is a pretty comparable situation... :roll: I hope you realize there is a big difference between a building/re-building franchise and a two-time defending Stanley Cup franchise. No amount of draft picks the Pens will get in the near future will replace Sid and Geno. They have a winning roster now, and you absolutely sacrifice the future (in terms of unknown future, late-round, draft picks) as long as you can maximize the assets you have now. Hoarding draft picks is lunacy for this franchise right now. There will be a down-turn in the future... there is simply no avoiding that. You do not replace generational talents like Lemieux, Crosby, or Malkin easily. If you don't make the most of what you have while you have them, you're simply wasting the gifts you have been given.

I understand what State College Penguin is saying, but replacing 1 or 2 draft picks a year with 1 or 2 UDFA a year isn't going to make a difference in the long run. The only pick that really mattered (up to now) is Mathew Barzal (1st 2015), but do you give up a Stanley Cup for Mathew Barzal?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Sigwolf wrote:

You don't replace Sid and Geno by finishing in the playoffs or just on the cusp. It will take a few lean years of drafting in the top 10, or some shrewd moves down the road. I've said before, in 3 years or so time, the Penguins may need to strongly consider trading Malkin, Letang, and Kessel to a team looking for a missing piece towards being a Cup contender.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 pm

FLPensFan wrote: I've said before, in 3 years or so time, the Penguins may need to strongly consider trading Malkin, Letang, and Kessel to a team looking for a missing piece towards being a Cup contender.

As long as the Pens are making the playoffs, I wouldn't trade Malkin or Kessel. If Letang can play like he did this weekend and stop with the overabundance of boneheaded plays, I'd probably add him to the list.

Frankly, keep stockpiling players like Rust, ZAR, Jake, etc until Sid, Geno, Kessel leave, and rebuild on the fly with 1 or 2 drafts. Certainly not easy, but not impossible.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:

You don't replace Sid and Geno by finishing in the playoffs or just on the cusp. It will take a few lean years of drafting in the top 10, or some shrewd moves down the road. I've said before, in 3 years or so time, the Penguins may need to strongly consider trading Malkin, Letang, and Kessel to a team looking for a missing piece towards being a Cup contender.

Matt Murray may help in delaying that consideration though to more than three years.

Also for Malkin, if they do decide to trade him, I would rather trade him a year or two too late than a year or two too early. I would only make this statement for 87 or 71. (and I know it's highly unlikely Sid ever gets traded). They are also both on long term contracts that are looking better and better every year. I think Sid won't even be in the top 10 cap hits next year, maybe Geno too.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:28 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Darren Dreger
3h3 hours ago

TIOPS is saying that Ottawa is asking about Sheahan?

That should be a non-starter. Sheahan isn't a problem. Rowney is the problem that needs fixed. Replacing Sheahan with Brassard would amount to a mild upgrade offensively and still not address the lack of depth at center.

The thing you always have to weigh when we're talking about bringing in a top six center to be the 3C is that they're going to be getting less ice time here. Brassard is a 50-60 point player getting top line and top PP time. What is when he is getting reduced ES time and second unit PP minutes?

Sheahan has been at an upper 30 point pace despite third/fourth line minutes and minimal PP time. While also playing a huge PK and defensive role. I hope the Pens are appreciating when he's giving them. Essentially identical to what they were getting from Bonino (who is now twice the cap hit). Rutherford appears to have done really well there.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Schultz, Sheahan and Oleksiak cost very little in the grand scheme of things. Those aren't the examples I'm talking about.

I get that. Those are part of my counterpoints to your position of hoarding first round picks being the only way to keep the talent pipeline going. These sorts of trades are one way they've replenished younger talent into the organization.

You can still put yourself in position to win a Cup without sacrificing much future.

And this leads me to another one of my points. It's ironic that you aren't bothered by trading mid-round picks when many of the guys you're touting (eg Guentzel, Rust, Murray) who have provided cheap, young talent to the recent Cup winners, came exactly from those rounds.

Again, there are other ways to keep a talent pipeline going. Drafting well in later rounds, hitting on undrafted free agents, and trading for young players (especially buying low on guys with upside). They've been masterful in all of those ways and it's made up for trading first round picks and prospects (few of which amounted to anything ultimately anyway).

I agree strongly with what others are saying. It's inevitable that there's going to be a downturn when Crosby and Malkin are gone. Unless they get absurdly lucky, they aren't replacing them unless they end up in the basement again with lottery picks. It's no coincidence that eight of the last nine Cups have won by the Pens (led by Crosby #1 overall and Malkin #2 overall), the Blackhawks (Toews #3 overall, Kane #1 overall), and the Kings (Doughter #2 overall, Kopitar was #11 overall). The Capitals have the most regular season wins in that span (Ovechkin #1 overall, Backstrom #4 overall) too.

Hoarding a late round first or second round pick now is highly unlikely to make the difference when Sid and Geno are done. Failure to make a big addition could hold them back from another championship now, though.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saints11 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:57 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I think a lot of these guys who are rumored to be available will become less expensive as the deadline gets closer. No team is going to give up the equivalent of a 1st round pick, a teams best prospect (Sprong), and a really fantastic super cheap young roster winger (Sheary) for a 31 year old Center who makes 5 million a year and never won anything.

That is exactly what we did to land Marian Hossa. Believe me, Marian Hossa is not comparable asset-wise to Brassard. Not even close. With that Hossa trade we also got Dupuis by the way.

Ugh. I sure do hope what everyone here things we need to acquire a guy like Brassard is far from the truth.

I would much rather roll with what we have and keep guys like Sheary, Sprong, and have our 1st round pick this summer. I am not convinced that even a Sheary / Brassard swap is a win for us. I would miss what Sheary brings every single night.

I’m not sure I’ve heard the words really fantastic, and super cheap associated with Conor Sheary. Sheary is a 3 million dollar winger who spends a great deal of the game either on the 4th line, or falling on the ice. Wingers like him are moved constantly for a solid two way Center like Brassard. All you need to know is that Brassard has tortured the Pens for years in Columbus, New York, or Ottawa. Most hockey clubs are built to be solid down the middle. Sid, Geno, Brassard, and Sheahan would give the Pens their most solid set of centers since the Lemieux, Francis, Trottier era.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins