2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Here's some mid-day trade rumor info:

Brian Lawton offered up a bunch of info this morning on Twitter:

--Says things are close to breaking open on the trade front. Says buyers and sellers are starting to get serious, prices are starting to stabilize. Expects at least 3 big moves at or before the deadline.
--Lawton claims Nash is already a done deal, just a matter of what package will be accepted. Not sure if this meant deal in place with a specific team with some tweaks on the package or just foregone conclusion Nash will be traded no matter what.
--Nothing much going on with OEL right now.
--Says Senators actions show they are ready to turn the page on Karlsson. Says cross off 1 major contender who has been linked to Karlsson (doesn't name the team). Says the team doesn't see him as the right fit, contrary to media speculation.
--Quiet on the Kane front.
--Lots of chatter on Mike Green as the price seems to have become more reasonable.
--Expects some dumping of Montreal players as prices are dropping hard there.
--Nothing on Jack Johnson as of yet.
--Flames hanging around, looking to add goaltending and top 9 forward
--Watch the Avalanche, as they could move a goalie.
--Nothing on Wild front. Team playing well and cap issues. Could make a very minor move(s).

Also heard on NHL radio while picking up lunch doesn't sound like Domi will be moved. Both Domi and Chayka were a bit baffled as to where the "needs a fresh start" stuff is coming from. Domi wants to stay, realizes he is struggling, but just says it happens some time. NHL radio guys pointed to him having some bad luck and that he needs to shoot more instead of pass first mentality.

That's all I got right now from around the NHL per other sources.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:12 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Here's some mid-day trade rumor info:

Brian Lawton offered up a bunch of info this morning on Twitter:

--Says things are close to breaking open on the trade front. Says buyers and sellers are starting to get serious, prices are starting to stabilize. Expects at least 3 big moves at or before the deadline.
--Lawton claims Nash is already a done deal, just a matter of what package will be accepted. Not sure if this meant deal in place with a specific team with some tweaks on the package or just foregone conclusion Nash will be traded no matter what.
--Nothing much going on with OEL right now.
--Says Senators actions show they are ready to turn the page on Karlsson. Says cross off 1 major contender who has been linked to Karlsson (doesn't name the team). Says the team doesn't see him as the right fit, contrary to media speculation.
--Quiet on the Kane front.
--Lots of chatter on Mike Green as the price seems to have become more reasonable.
--Expects some dumping of Montreal players as prices are dropping hard there.
--Nothing on Jack Johnson as of yet.
--Flames hanging around, looking to add goaltending and top 9 forward
--Watch the Avalanche, as they could move a goalie.
--Nothing on Wild front. Team playing well and cap issues. Could make a very minor move(s).

Also heard on NHL radio while picking up lunch doesn't sound like Domi will be moved. Both Domi and Chayka were a bit baffled as to where the "needs a fresh start" stuff is coming from. Domi wants to stay, realizes he is struggling, but just says it happens some time. NHL radio guys pointed to him having some bad luck and that he needs to shoot more instead of pass first mentality.

That's all I got right now from around the NHL per other sources.

Lol. You think Calgary is kicking themselves for acquiring Smith over Fleury?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:14 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:My new question of the day is, I wonder if the Rangers would take a 2nd rounder and Connor Sheary for Grabner. (with salary retained) NY is said to want a young roster player or player NHL ready. Maybe it's a 2nd and Sprong, but, if you could get them to take Sheary, it opens up the cap space, and Sheary is still relatively young. You know he has potential to hit 20 goals playing with the right linemates, but if not, he's still solid 3rd line production on most teams. Sheary is a bit more of a sure thing over Sprong at this point.

I doubt they would, but just a thought.

That seems like a lot for a pure rental in Grabner who isn't a game breaker.

Why do you think that is a lot? Maybe you get them to move it to a 3rd and Sheary, but, you are asking them to retain salary. I'm sure they'd likely take ZAR or Guentzel without the pick, but do you really want to do that?

Fact is if moves are going to be made, salary has to be shipped out. Sheary seems like the prime candidate at this point, unless there is
The other fact is, Grabner is one of the most inquired about pieces right now. I've heard 8-10 teams are looking to possibly add him, which is at least 50% of playoff bound teams.

Rutherford's only other option is to make one small move, waiving someone like Kuhnhackl or Rowney to send to WBS, and then acquiring someone like Letestu, Vermette, or Ryan and being done. Not that those are bad moves, but they aren't the "holy crap how is anybody going to beat this team" over the top type of moves.

Sheary and s pick wouldn't require the Rangers to retain any salary on Grabner.

It would if you are hoping to open up as much cap space as possible to bring in Brassard too.

I just can't see us moving Sheary and then giving up the necessary pieces to land Brassard. I think Brassard is a pipedream
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:18 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:My new question of the day is, I wonder if the Rangers would take a 2nd rounder and Connor Sheary for Grabner. (with salary retained) NY is said to want a young roster player or player NHL ready. Maybe it's a 2nd and Sprong, but, if you could get them to take Sheary, it opens up the cap space, and Sheary is still relatively young. You know he has potential to hit 20 goals playing with the right linemates, but if not, he's still solid 3rd line production on most teams. Sheary is a bit more of a sure thing over Sprong at this point.

I doubt they would, but just a thought.

That seems like a lot for a pure rental in Grabner who isn't a game breaker.

To me, it's an easy answer. There's no chance. Grabner is intriguing, but it's his speed that we're in love with. The 25 goals as well, but it's his speed we're so enamored by. Making this type of deal is getting way too caught up in the deadline. I don't think the add from grabbing him is worth anywhere near that price. I like him, but at the cost of maybe a 2nd or 3rd and Blueger. More than that, move on.

Grabner has 25 goals, 27 last season. His shooting percentage is an insane 19.1%. He obviously isn't much of a set up man, with only 19 assists to go with the 52 goals. He kills penalties, Really exciting to watch. The Rags brought him in with the intent of replacing Hagelin basically. He's got a really streaky goal scoring touch, not having a 20 goal season since 2012 before they signed him. He obviously had fallen a long way to accept a 2 year contract at $1.65M per.

I often make the point of we can only make amateur assessments on the limited amount that we can actually see. The rest is highlights, stats, and reputation. Grabner is a highlight reel. He scores goals, kills penalties, and adds speed. He scores 5 on 5 goals. We could have used him in November and December! The thing is, the Pens lead the next highest scoring team by a relatively wide margin since Jan 1st. Their 84 goals in 21 games is trailed by the Sharks 78, but in 24 games. The Bruins have 76 in 21. Adding scoring and speed is always intriguing, and I like Grabner. Only at a sensible cost though. He doesn't address their supposed want to get stiffer on the boards. Plus, I'm not handing those sorts of assets over to a divisional rival and watch Sprong potentially light the Pens up for the next 5 years. Not for a couple of months of a luxury player.

I think you make a fair argument.

I just wonder can that speed be turned into a Hagelin defensive responsible type of speed. Late in games are you pushing him on a 4th line sheltering his minutes? Or can he add that Hagelin-esque type of pressure game that Sullivan covets. Sure Schultz and Letang would have a field day throwing end to end passes to him and I am sure he will get his goals but can he play defense? I don't know. Would like to find out though.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:19 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:It would if you are hoping to open up as much cap space as possible to bring in Brassard too.

I just can't see us moving Sheary and then giving up the necessary pieces to land Brassard. I think Brassard is a pipedream

I too, can't really see Brassard trade working out. I also still subscribe to the notion that, more often than not, the players you continually hear rumored/linked to your team are almost never the players the GM actually acquires.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:20 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:It would if you are hoping to open up as much cap space as possible to bring in Brassard too.

I too, can't really see Brassard trade working out. I also still subscribe to the notion that, more often than not, the players you continually hear rumored/linked to your team are almost never the players the GM actually acquires.

Heard St. Louis is the front runner for Brassard on stuff they threw around on the NHL channel.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:37 pm

LeBrun is saying there is a lot of action on Grabner today. Teams coming at NY hard today, trying to make a deal.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 pm

FLPensFan wrote:LeBrun is saying there is a lot of action on Grabner today. Teams coming at NY hard today, trying to make a deal.

If Grabner goes soon you'd think the Pens would move to plan B rather quickly. I'm guessing he's their primary target.

The witch of it is a lot of people were begging the Pens to sign him when he was a UFA but the Pens didnt.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:LeBrun is saying there is a lot of action on Grabner today. Teams coming at NY hard today, trying to make a deal.

Who is the backup plan to Grabner, Pouliot?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:23 pm

pens_CT wrote:

Very possible. Reading through Mackey's chat right now, he doesn't think anything happens until deadline day. He also doesn't think the Penguins will land Grabner or Brassard, and still sees them as very likely to add Cullen back into the mix.

I can agree on the Grabner/Brassard stuff. On the Cullen part, really hope we go a different direction.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:34 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Very possible. Reading through Mackey's chat right now, he doesn't think anything happens until deadline day. He also doesn't think the Penguins will land Grabner or Brassard, and still sees them as very likely to add Cullen back into the mix.

I can agree on the Grabner/Brassard stuff. On the Cullen part, really hope we go a different direction.

I still think Plekanec will be the center assuming Montreal is willing to eat enough salary. Hopefully there is a better option available at LW over Pouliot.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Would you pull the trigger on Grabner if the cost was Dominik Simon?
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:35 pm

dark_forces wrote:Would you pull the trigger on Grabner if the cost was Dominik Simon?

Simon alone, or Simon + a pick?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:38 pm

pens_CT wrote:
dark_forces wrote:Would you pull the trigger on Grabner if the cost was Dominik Simon?

Maybe Simon and a 3rd in 2019, since they wanted a 2nd and something else. I think Simon is worth a 2nd.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm

I want Grabner simply because there was a time a few years ago as the Rangers were skating the Pens off the ice when my literal dream was having Hagelin and Grabner on the team. Those two, especially back then, were always just so much faster than everyone else.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:50 pm

plan A has to absolutely be Brassard but I don't know if a deal could be done, sheary is the most logical piece for us to want to move but I don't think Ottawa would want him given his value is really low right now and even at his best he wasn't sound defensively
so the potential deal of sheary, pick, and a prospect(sprong most likely) for brassard with Ottawa retaining 40% would be great for us but don't think Ottawa would accept it
plan B would be more like grabner plus getting a 4th line center (like a vermette or Cullen)
none of these guys should we be giving up a lot for however Cullen has played better lately and Minnesota is in playoff race and if grabner has a lot of interest that would drive up prices for both of those over what we should be giving up for what we would be getting. I don't know a lot about vermette other than what I have read on here so not sure how much the cost would be there.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:50 pm

I can see the Capitals making a play for Grabner. Just knowing the Penguins are interested would have them interested. Knowing that the Penguins speed the past few years has hurt them they could see Grabner as a cheap counter.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:11 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

The player most similar in style would have to be Hoffman although he is going to be much more expensive. That would leave Brassard out of the question so maybe they only circle back to Hoffman if Brassard would end up going somewhere else.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:16 pm

Eklund suggesting Sam Bennet is avail.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:21 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Eklund suggesting Sam Bennet is avail.

Bennett for Sheary? Although with the last name Bennett would he last more than 2 games before getting injured?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Ek also mentioned Sprong/Kane and Botteril is frustrated with the offers he’s getting for Kane.

Who knows. We’ll see soon enough!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maestro on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:40 pm

The Blues deadline cap space is 600k less than the Pens currently according to capfriendly.com.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:41 pm

pens_CT wrote:

Bennett for Sheary? Although with the last name Bennett would he last more than 2 games before getting injured?

He hasn't been good. He had a little hot streak but since has 5 points in his last 22 games.

He hasn't even been impressive to watch.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:49 pm

pens_CT wrote:

I would do Simon and a 2nd if the Rangers would accept that. That's a 2nd and essentially a B-level prospect. Simon has been hot and cold this season. He's never going to be, nor has he ever been projected to be, a solid, consistent top 6 performer (20goals, 50 points). But he is serviceable top 9 guy.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 pm

pens_CT wrote:

Calgary is reportedly looking for top 9 forwards. Shipping out a struggling Bennett for a struggling Sheary probably isn't what they are hoping to accomplish.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins