Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby Daniel on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:13 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:
the riddler wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
the riddler wrote:Sheary for Brassard seems like fair value straight up, maybe throw in a pick. I'd prefer that to a package including Sprong.

You would be incorrect sir, on several fronts.

Sheary has 35 goals the last two seasons, Brassard has 31. Both have 75 points. Brassard is 30, Sheary is 25. Sheary has a more cap friendly contract, while Brassard is overpaid for what he's produced in Ottawa. If you're asking me who the better player is, of course Brassard has had a better career. But he's 5 years older and the stats haven't been there the last two years to back it up. We're not talking about the same Brassard from 3 years ago.

I do like when people start using logic as opposed to writers that don't know anything more than us but need to "report" things in order to get clicks, or video game values, when looking at these things.

I'll rephrase. There is true value and the value NHL GMs pay. the riddler's assessment really isn't that far off in true value, however, it is in terms of the reality that GMs in the NHL pay for other players.

You also have to consider position of need and next years salary cap. Pens need center depth and the loss of Sheary's $3m from next years cap could be invaluable with the amount of RFAs they need to sign (Simon, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Oleksiak, Sheahan, Jarry, etc.), not to mention Hornqvist.

Edit - Sorry, forgot Brassard has another year left on his contract
Last edited by Daniel on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 pm

You also have to consider after Brassard, there is a steep drop off in skill level in possibly available centers. That allows the sellers to ask for higher prices. Little supply with multiple teams looking for center depth.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:17 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Jim wrote:
the riddler wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
the riddler wrote:Sheary for Brassard seems like fair value straight up, maybe throw in a pick. I'd prefer that to a package including Sprong.

You would be incorrect sir, on several fronts.

Sheary has 35 goals the last two seasons, Brassard has 31. Both have 75 points. Brassard is 30, Sheary is 25. Sheary has a more cap friendly contract, while Brassard is overpaid for what he's produced in Ottawa. If you're asking me who the better player is, of course Brassard has had a better career. But he's 5 years older and the stats haven't been there the last two years to back it up. We're not talking about the same Brassard from 3 years ago.

I do like when people start using logic as opposed to writers that don't know anything more than us but need to "report" things in order to get clicks, or video game values, when looking at these things.

I am miffed by the perceived value some have for current Penguins. Yet they overvalue guys like Kane and Maroon. WTH?

Sheary is one of the most often overvalued players here on the board. I'd be all about defending the little fella if he still had a .667M cap hit.

If we can flip Sheary for Brassard straight up? Go for it.

(And keep Kane away from this team...)
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:24 pm

Lot of chatter tonight Ryan McDonagh is strictly between Tampa and Toronto right now.

Also saw Travis Yost post a big what if......what if Vegas were to put there hat in the ring for Erik Karlsson. They have lots of young guys and picks they could put into play. The ask right now is multiple 1st rounders, young roster player and prospects.....but it is believed that price would drop considerably if a team would take Bobby Ryan's as part of the deal. Vegas has the ability to take on both contracts fairly easy.

You have to wonder is something like a 1st, 1 or 2 2nds (Vegas has 3 2019 2nd and 3 2020 2nds), Shea Theodore, and one of Branstrom, Glass or Suzuki or would be enough to get it done.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Dreger saying Grabner has been dealt to the Devils.......

EDIT: Hearing for a 2nd rounder and a prospect. Have not heard the prospect is yet, or if this is confirmed done deal.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:31 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Dreger saying Grabner has been dealt to the Devils.......

Ah interesting. Wonder what the return is
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:31 pm

FLPensFan wrote:You also have to consider after Brassard, there is a steep drop off in skill level in possibly available centers. That allows the sellers to ask for higher prices. Little supply with multiple teams looking for center depth.

He also has only 15 points more than Sheahan playing the 2C position, with over 3 minutes more per game. He has half the points as the Pens 2C for a team that scores about .5 goals per game less than the Pens. What would his numbers be with less ice time compared to what the Pens already have?

Not saying he wouldn't be better, just wondering if it's worth paying the kind of price Ottawa most likely wants. Looking at his numbers, along with his contract, and wondering if Sheary for him would be about right.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 pm

Igor Rykov and 2nd
aka Yegor
Last edited by ville5 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:34 pm

Don’t know the prospect. But that kind of sets the market for UFA. Not crazy return
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:36 pm

ville5 wrote:Igor Rykov and 2nd

Confirmed. Sounds like Rykov is one of NJ's top defensive prospects. Might have been concerns from NJ standpoint of him leaving Russia. Early reaction is steep price for Grabner.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Maestro on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:44 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Maestro wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:From what I consider an unreliable source, but I'll put it here anyways, is that Penguins and Jets are in a bidding war for Brassard.

What kind of bidding war can we get into? Ottawa knows what are offer is, and I doubt GMJR is going to change it substantially. Get a 4C and a upgrade at wing and call it a day. The Brassard rumors are starting to eclipse the Duchene trade rumors for annoyance. Monday can't come soon enough.

Do they, though? Do you really think GMJR put his best offer forward first? Likely not. Maybe he's negotiated to the point that Ottawa knows what he's offering. But more likely than not he's just playing the game right now.

Honestly, the Brassard rumors aren't annoying at all, considering they've been out there for all of a few weeks, at best. Duchene went on for an entire offseason and several months of the season. Big difference.

I think there are rumors like one sees on hoceky buzz then there is information certain reporters obtain from various sources - they may make it seem vague to protect sources, they also realize that 99% of negotiations end up without an actual deal - but there certainly are negotiations occurring at the moment.

Nobody will talk about it now - but I think at the time Ottawa obtained Duchene there was a general sense Pittsburgh had made an offer - At that point the 3-way deal with all of those assets coming to Denver with the high end, cost-controlled, young d-prospect as the center-piece, won the day.

Without Nashville getting involved, Duchene could very well have been a Penguin.

The problem always his been with Duchene and Brassard, is what piece off the roster are you going to give up. Without a reasonable current NHL player going to the other team you can throw all the Springs and Gustavssons that you want, it isn't going to matter much. This kind of deal isn't happening with roster filler going to th other team to offset the cap.

Sheary, Hunwick
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:48 pm

Sucks. Grabner’s speed is killer. NJ is a sleeper team.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:50 pm

So a 2nd rd pick and a 5th rd prospect.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 pm

Brassard better be on the menu now! Here Tampa and McDonough are nearly a done deal. Flyers will be looking to add to now I suspect.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dark_forces on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 pm

This goes to show that Eklund is full of crap. Grabner down to Toronto and Pittsburgh. What a load of bunk.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby OKpensfan247 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:02 am

I dont know. Does not feel like that bad of a loss really. Grabner's speed would have been cool to have with Hags, Rust, Thrill, etc... But a couple thoughts:

- with the addition of Grabner, I still don't view NJD as better or deeper than us. They will be fast and feisty and not an easy out by any means, but I stil feel confident we will beat NJD in a 7 game series if we meet them in playoffs.
- if NJD just gave up one of their better prospects to get one year of Grabner and still lose to us in the playoffs, then we might sign Grabner in the offseason... It will be a nice laugh.
- even if this NJD prospect is actually not good, then I think it says something about how our coaches view Grabner as a fit or non-fit that aggressive GMJR was not willing to bid more than a 2nd + prospect.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:03 am

Maestro wrote:So a 2nd rd pick and a 5th rd prospect.

It was a weird trade, more the trade a team makes with the deadline approaching rather than a few days before.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:Sucks. Grabner’s speed is killer. NJ is a sleeper team.

Yeah, I'm probably irrationally influenced by that one game against where they dominated the Pens the night after the Caps game, but I'd be a bit nervous about the Pens playing the Devils in the first round. Shero and Hynes seem to have done a good job creating a solid top-to-bottom lineup that works hard and stays organized.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 am

Oh, and then one disclaimer statement...

What will make me upset is if NAS, TBL, and/or BOS add significant pieces the next 4 days and we do not. Those are the guys we need to be worried about IMO.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:05 am

FLPensFan wrote:
ville5 wrote:Igor Rykov and 2nd

Confirmed. Sounds like Rykov is one of NJ's top defensive prospects. Might have been concerns from NJ standpoint of him leaving Russia. Early reaction is steep price for Grabner.

From the little I've read on Rykov, I would say he's an up and coming prospect, but not blue chip. High risk, high reward perhaps. He was a 5th round pick in 2016, #132. For reference, Simon was the #137th pick in 2015. Rykov is big, 6'2" and 216 lbs. Doesn't look to be too offensive, but tough to say. He's 20, and they seem to think he's talented. But they do seem concerned about him deciding to stay in Russia.

It does set the market, which isn't horrible. I also personally believe Grabner was being way overrated on these boards. It's an interesting deal for the Devils, who obviously are putting a premium on making the playoffs. He makes a fast team faster. From the Rangers side, you have to believe that it was a deal the Rangers didn't expect to be topped, or they could have waited. So his value was less to others.

I don't think it's a bad place to set the market though. It's fair and reasonable.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:11 am

OKpensfan247 wrote:Oh, and then one disclaimer statement...

What will make me upset is if NAS, TBL, and/or BOS add significant pieces the next 4 days and we do not. Those are the guys we need to be worried about IMO.

The Penguins have not stood idle at any recent deadline where they were going to be in the playoffs. I don't see this year being any different. Rutherford will do something, even if they are just small moves.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby OKpensfan247 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 am

FLPensFan wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:Oh, and then one disclaimer statement...

The Penguins have not stood idle at any recent deadline where they were going to be in the playoffs. I don't see this year being any different. Rutherford will do something, even if they are just small moves.

Yeah for sure.

The fact Rutherford would not give a 2nd + prospect makes me think they have other plans in place. That is a return we certainly could have afforded if we wanted him that badly or thought he was a tremendous fit.

You never know with these things. Maybe NYR were in love specifically with that NJD prospect for some reason... Or maybe JR lowballed thinking he would have another couple days to up his ante.

Will be interesting to hear more Penguins intel in the future on their thoughts.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:21 am

Pitts wrote:Brassard better be on the menu now! Here Tampa and McDonough are nearly a done deal. Flyers will be looking to add to now I suspect.

I’m sure Brassard has always been on the menu, I just don’t see a deal that would satisfy Ottawa. 1st round pick and either Sprong or Gustavsson no issues. The third piece, the person on the current roster is the issue. People keep throwing Sheary or Hunwick, neither are very enticing for a team that doesn’t need to trade Brassard.

People need to lower their expectations on what we can acquire at this point in time. Get an improvement over Rowney, shouldn’t be that hard, and maybe another wing if the price is acceptable.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:11 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Sounding like Grabner could very well get traded tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Also heard TSN say price on Evander Kane may have dropped to a 2nd rounder and a prospect.

Wow. If the asking price was similar you'd have to opt for Kane over Grabner right?

Wrong. Grabner every day of the week.

Well time to move on to Kane.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:24 am

NYR and the Devils have not made a trade since a 3 way in 1979. That's a lot of history to cross. The devils could knock off a top seed, but long range I question their goaltending.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/02/23/ ... ner-trade/

history made~
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins