2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby pens_CT on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:From Jason Mackey's chat with Rutherford, posted about 20 minutes ago: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/02/25/Rutherford-Penguins-trade-deadline-Brassard-Hornqvist-NHL-rumors/stories/201802250154

5. Don’t be surprised if Sullivan gets creative with his usage of Riley Sheahan, so that his ice time stays pretty much the same.

The Penguins are very pleased with how Sheahan has been playing lately — likely Saturday night’s minus-4 aside — and want to keep using him as much as possible.

“Riley can play left wing,” Rutherford said. “He can play center. I would be surprised if this cuts into his ice time based on how he’s played because of the way Sully coaches.”

“If Riley keeps playing the way he has played and he’s capable of playing, I certainly hope that he’s playing an important part in this because he’s a good player.”

I also think Brassard can play wing, so it wouldn't shock me if Brassard might play some shifts with Crosby, and thus keeping Sheahan on the third line between Phil & Jake.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:08 pm

I do not believe that there is a rule that says that the center needs to take the faceoff. If a real LW can't be gotten via trade, try Sheahan on Malkin's LW and have Sheahan take the draws. (Anything to get Malkin out of the dot)
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:From Jason Mackey's chat with Rutherford, posted about 20 minutes ago: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/02/25/Rutherford-Penguins-trade-deadline-Brassard-Hornqvist-NHL-rumors/stories/201802250154

5. Don’t be surprised if Sullivan gets creative with his usage of Riley Sheahan, so that his ice time stays pretty much the same.

The Penguins are very pleased with how Sheahan has been playing lately — likely Saturday night’s minus-4 aside — and want to keep using him as much as possible.

“Riley can play left wing,” Rutherford said. “He can play center. I would be surprised if this cuts into his ice time based on how he’s played because of the way Sully coaches.”

“If Riley keeps playing the way he has played and he’s capable of playing, I certainly hope that he’s playing an important part in this because he’s a good player.”

Could've shared the whole thing. Some of us have used all our free views for the month lol.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:11 pm

ville5 wrote:

Could've shared the whole thing. Some of us have used all our free views for the month lol.

You can't get a bottom pairing defenseman if you're chit chatting with Mackey.....
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:15 pm

Quite a haul for Nash, contracts for Brian Gionta and Chris Kelly- did we time warp back to 2012?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:16 pm

How about Blake Comeau? He should be available that it looks like Colorado won't be a player. Pending UFA $2.4 mill cap hit. Speedy up and down winger similar to Rust that Sully would utilize. Had success here.

Wouldn't think it would cost much to bring him in....
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
ville5 wrote:

You can't get a bottom pairing defenseman if you're chit chatting with Mackey.....

I like. Burn them trees..!! Laurels that is.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:23 pm

ville5 wrote:

Tis against da rules.....

And I have yet to figure out how I have used up all my free views on my phone. I swear I used them up one month and it has never reset....but on my laptop, I am always shocked I haven't hit the limit.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Sounding like Calgary might be close to acquiring Evander Kane, and maybe another player from Buffalo.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens2005 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:31 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Sounding like Calgary might be close to acquiring Evander Kane, and maybe another player from Buffalo.

Great news for pens fans
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:39 pm

This d man on Vancouver Ben Hutton is apparently available. Don't know much about him but saw his name in the rumor mill.

Never a good sign that he can't get ahead of Pouliot for the top 6...but who knows...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:08 pm

I think GMJR will addres the need for another D-man.. unless if HCMS really trusts Hunwick and Ruhwedel soo much..
If we dont flip Sheary for another D-man or even LW..
I would do lines like this :
Sheary - Crosby - Rust
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornquist
Guentzel - Brassard - Kessel
Kuhnhackl - Sheahan - ZAR
x Rowney
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:15 pm

ville5 wrote:

I use different web-browsers, that gives me at least 60 articles per month :fist:
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 pm

Get Pouliot for cheap. He can play anywhere in the lineup and not look out of place. He played with Brassard and had success a few years ago too.

Getting him allows Guentzel to go back with Sid.

Then move Sheary for a D man...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:19 pm

John Shannon

Verified account

@JSportsnet
12m12 minutes ago
More
After losing 6 in a row, sounds like the St. Louis Blues are trying to move some assets by tomorrow... hearing Sobotka is now available. Expensive, but available.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:20 pm

KG wrote:Get Pouliot for cheap. He can play anywhere in the lineup and not look out of place. He played with Brassard and had success a few years ago too.

I feel like if Sheary had any value he would have been moved by now.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:21 pm

KG wrote:Get Pouliot for cheap. He can play anywhere in the lineup and not look out of place. He played with Brassard and had success a few years ago too.

Pouliot is an improvement over Kuhnhackl but that's about it. Depth D is needed, depth wing isnt. If going for another forward it needs to be a top LW, otherwise it's not worth it.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:01 pm

St. Lou has lost 6 in a row and are out of the playoffs. I'll take JBo(50%) and Brodziak for Sheary, Kuhnhackl and a 2021 2nd.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:05 pm

I had dismissed the report of Cullen still being a possibility for Pens but it was from Bob McKenzie so maybe there is something there -
If Cullen can be had for virtually nothing... maybe the thought is Sheahan moves to wing

Guentzel -- Crosby -- Rust

Sheahan --- Malkin --- Hornqvist

Hags ---- Brass ---- Kess (HBK II)

Sheary --- Cullen --- ZAR

Hmm...
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:05 pm

I believe someone mentioned him a few pages ago. I would consider reaching out to Carolina about Trevor Van Riemsdyk. Nothing flashy, but he would be solid as a #6 d-man and like Oleksiak, he can play both RD and LD. He is a righty. 825K and an RFA

Carolina has lost their last 5 games and you have to wonder how long Jordan Staal will miss and how effective he will be upon his return. Their next 5 game are against BOS, PHI, NJ, WPG, MIN.....all playoff teams. They currently sit 3 points out of the last WC spot, and are even in games played with Columbus. Florida is 5 points out, but has 3 games in hand on both of them and Florida has been hot since Luongo returned from injury.

I think if the Staal situation didn't happen, or happened a few weeks earlier, things might be different. But he's their top center and his level of play or when he returns is going to be a question mark for them for awhile.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wondermoose on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 pm

With the Pens PK clicking as well as it is, we're nuts if we think either Rowney or Kuhnhackl (whichever is healthy) gets bumped from the lineup after trading Cole.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Why can't Sheary play with Sid? There are people on here that keep bragging about how many goals and points he has over the last two seasons and how people are so stupid for suggesting they trade him.

He must be good to play with him then no? 4 in his last 40? Ohhhh.

I wouldn't be against moving him. Maybe they could get Maroon and satisfy those that want muscle and hitting.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:13 pm

wondermoose wrote:With the Pens PK clicking as well as it is, we're nuts if we think either Rowney or Kuhnhackl (whichever is healthy) gets bumped from the lineup after trading Cole.

The PK was good when those guys were hurt too.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 pm

FLPensFan wrote:I believe someone mentioned him a few pages ago. I would consider reaching out to Carolina about Trevor Van Riemsdyk. Nothing flashy, but he would be solid as a #6 d-man and like Oleksiak, he can play both RD and LD. He is a righty. 825K and an RFA

Carolina has lost their last 5 games and you have to wonder how long Jordan Staal will miss and how effective he will be upon his return. Their next 5 game are against BOS, PHI, NJ, WPG, MIN.....all playoff teams. They currently sit 3 points out of the last WC spot, and are even in games played with Columbus. Florida is 5 points out, but has 3 games in hand on both of them and Florida has been hot since Luongo returned from injury.

I think if the Staal situation didn't happen, or happened a few weeks earlier, things might be different. But he's their top center and his level of play or when he returns is going to be a question mark for them for awhile.

I suggested it because CAR is in a free fall and they have excess D. Maybe Sheary gets up TVR
Last edited by thehockeyguru on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:22 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:With the Pens PK clicking as well as it is, we're nuts if we think either Rowney or Kuhnhackl (whichever is healthy) gets bumped from the lineup after trading Cole.

The PK was good when those guys were hurt too.

Yeesh, this is awkward. I hate to burst your bubble here, but there have been zero games this season that both have been out of the lineup. Sorry!
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins