Rules you would like to see changed

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Rules you would like to see changed

Postby Malkintent on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 pm

The loser point needs to go. If your team lost you shouldn't get anything. Under no circumstances should a team place ahead of another team despite winning fewer games.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:36 pm

I carped about the offsides rule in yesterday's "morning after" thread and it's still my biggest complaint. The plane of the blue line should be the basis of the call, not having a skate on the ice.

After that, I would like to see the NHL officiating get away from its Penalty du jour approach to calling a game. I swear, sometimes you think the zebras got together pre-game, glued shut 2/3s of the rule book, and decided that tripping was "today's special". Another night, it might be hooking.

I really want to see the NHL:
  • Open up the entire rule book (as was said earlier). Call the rules regardless of the period, score, or whatever whim they have. Come the 3rd period, the refs shouldn't need a proctologist to find their whistles.
  • Eliminate playoff officiating as a separate thing. Call the game the same way all the time. Consistency.
  • Better training and rating of referees. Honestly, adding a referee hasn't improved things all that much. It's time to take referee development seriously.
  • Eliminate the kicking rule. A goal's a goal no matter how it goes in (exception for high sticks which are dangerous).
  • Stop using the NHL Wheel of Justice to determine supplemental punishment for egregious acts.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:54 am

I find it interesting that so many people want to make the Blue line a plane that extends to the ceiling. if you think offside challenge is bad now just implement that rule and wait.
"Is the edge of Crosby's heel over the plane of the blue line or just inside it?" "it might be an 1/64th of the line over it....I'm not sure"
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 am

A lot of coaches and GM endorsed the idea of a hybrid ice size. I think the ice is 85 feet wide. They suggested a 90ft wide surface. Then you grandfather it in that all new arenas are designed with this new surface. Any exsisting arena can add as much space as they can. Yes they know not all arenas would be the same size but most baseball fields are not the same dimensions either.

I don't think you gain any more scoring with a bigger ice surface. The power play numbers havn't gone up when they enlarged the O zone. Paul Coffey said it because the Defensemen are futher from the goal and you can't beat a goalie on a slapper that far away. Also he said smaller O zones made shorthanded goals easier to come by since the other team is ontop of you to force turnovers.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby johnnews on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:26 am

If a team scores on a delayed penalty, they still get the power play. That's my biggest one.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 am

I hate the point system they've created because it creates unbalanced games. Unfortunately, the NHL won't change because of the perception that so many teams are still in the race. When, in fact, making up 6 points is much more difficult than it used to be because of 3 point games. If you're going to award a loser's point, I think every game should count for 3 pts. 3 for a regulation win, 2 for an OT or SO win, 11 if you lose in OT or the SO. It's the fairest way, and promotes urgency to win in regulation.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 am

shoeshine boy wrote:I find it interesting that so many people want to make the Blue line a plane that extends to the ceiling. if you think offside challenge is bad now just implement that rule and wait.
"Is the edge of Crosby's heel over the plane of the blue line or just inside it?" "it might be an 1/64th of the line over it....I'm not sure"

You can eliminate that electronically.

It's hard to implement a 'hawk eye' for pucks at the goal line. Determining whether any part of the body lingers behind the blue line should be ridiculously simple since you will have sight lines.

Unclear situations should also be simple if they're somehow not ruled out. Let the existing call stand. Just put a timer on the decision process for refs. Either they're sure and overturn, or the call stands.

I like the idea of the delayed penalty goal still leading to a PP.

Those who want kicking goals allowed... I dont follow. What's next, knocking it in with your hands? Be happy you can kick pass.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:02 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:I like the idea of the delayed penalty goal still leading to a PP.

Go back to full 2 minutes for penalties, score at will. I think it would not only increase scoring, but create more short handed chances, since teams might get greedy and score quickly, thus giving up more chances against.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 100565 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:14 am

1. Develop a good system to rate referees.
2. Rate referees with the system.
3. Eliminate ALL replays (for goals, for offsides, any and all!).

Hockey is a fast-paced game officiated by referees. As long as refs are not making intentionally bad calls (see rate the refs), the game should be called on the ice - not in a replay booth. The human refs will make mistakes; deal with it.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby 100565 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:18 am

oh. and as others have said - the point system is laughable. Every game played needs to be worth the same amount of points.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:30 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote:I find it interesting that so many people want to make the Blue line a plane that extends to the ceiling. if you think offside challenge is bad now just implement that rule and wait.

It's hard to implement a 'hawk eye' for pucks at the goal line. Determining whether any part of the body lingers behind the blue line should be ridiculously simple since you will have sight lines.

Unclear situations should also be simple if they're somehow not ruled out. Let the existing call stand. Just put a timer on the decision process for refs. Either they're sure and overturn, or the call stands.

Those who want kicking goals allowed... I dont follow. What's next, knocking it in with your hands? Be happy you can kick pass.

I don't want full on, soccer style field goal kicks allowed.......but I don't see the point in saying......oh, this isn't a goal, he angled his skate towards the net as the puck went off his skate into the net. That's not a goal.....or, the puck was laying on the ice, he moved his skate 2 inches along the ice towards the puck to move it into the net. Why is that not allowed?

Again, I can understand not wanting guys winding up, drawing their leg back two feet, and just going into the crease kicking away.......but I honestly doubt that is going to happen. Plays aren't blown dead when a guy passes the puck to a teammate from a skate, so why can a skate not be used to direct a puck into the net? We don't see guys recklessly and aimlessly swinging sticks in the air in attempt to knock pucks in the net. There is a skill and a method to it. Pucks going off the body are allowed.

The only thing that should not be allowed is pucks off the hand, whether you consider it a handpass, or just don't want guys grabbing the puck....fine, but off skates, body, and stick below cross bar should all be legal.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:50 am

3 points of a regulation/OT win, 2 for a shootout win and 1 for shootout loss.
No challenge of video reviewed plays. Too often the refs will review a play on video, make a call only to then have to re-review the play due to a coach's challenge.
I do want offsides and goals reviewable, but only once.
THe idea of objectively evaluating officials if appealing.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:25 pm

I would still vote for, regular season: 60 minute game only, 1 point for a win. No OT, loss gets nothing, ties get nothing.

Win in regulation or go home, period.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PaLionking on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:39 pm

So you give a team a 2 minute penalty because someone limps off the ice and can't go over the boards? If you're going to do that, anytime someone is struggling to get to the bench, you have to blow the whistle.

That would be OK. Would rather have them get the injured player off the ice than to have someone checked into an open door like Maatta was last year or Besser was this year & get seriously hurt with no protection at the door opening
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

I don't want full on, soccer style field goal kicks allowed.......but I don't see the point in saying......oh, this isn't a goal, he angled his skate towards the net as the puck went off his skate into the net. That's not a goal.....or, the puck was laying on the ice, he moved his skate 2 inches along the ice towards the puck to move it into the net. Why is that not allowed?

Again, I can understand not wanting guys winding up, drawing their leg back two feet, and just going into the crease kicking away.......but I honestly doubt that is going to happen. Plays aren't blown dead when a guy passes the puck to a teammate from a skate, so why can a skate not be used to direct a puck into the net? We don't see guys recklessly and aimlessly swinging sticks in the air in attempt to knock pucks in the net. There is a skill and a method to it. Pucks going off the body are allowed.

The only thing that should not be allowed is pucks off the hand, whether you consider it a handpass, or just don't want guys grabbing the puck....fine, but off skates, body, and stick below cross bar should all be legal.

One of the reasons the feet is not allowed to score is for players safety of course. Anything that encourages people to move and use their feet to score will cause more risk for injury. Maybe if you allow everything as long as the blade does not leave the ice, maybe. But doubt it will happen as people would start moving their feet if their stick is held or tangled up in the crease. Pretty easy to have an accident where the goalie is cut by a blade if something does not go right.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:23 pm

PaLionking wrote:
So you give a team a 2 minute penalty because someone limps off the ice and can't go over the boards? If you're going to do that, anytime someone is struggling to get to the bench, you have to blow the whistle.

That would be OK. Would rather have them get the injured player off the ice than to have someone checked into an open door like Maatta was last year or Besser was this year & get seriously hurt with no protection at the door opening

That would be awfully hard to regulate. I like the idea of cushioning the sharp edges or having someone open/close the door. Both of those options would work, just a question of putting in the effort.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins