Penguins Asst. GM Bill Guerin

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins Asst. GM Bill Guerin

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:30 am

According to Pierre LeBrun, Carolina reached out to Bill Guerin about interviewing for their open GM position. Guerin declined and said the timing isn't right for him.

I truly believe, even more so than Botteril, that Guerin is being groomed as Rutherfords eventual successor. I hear nothing but good things about him, both on the management side as well as the player development side. I think he would be an excellent choice, and I would hate to see the Penguins let him go elsewhere.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Penguins87 Asst. GM Bill Guerin

Postby longtimefan on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:According to Pierre LeBrun, Carolina reached out to Bill Guerin about interviewing for their open GM position. Guerin declined and said the timing isn't right for him.

I truly believe, even more so than Botteril, that Guerin is being groomed as Rutherfords eventual successor. I hear nothing but good things about him, both on the management side as well as the player development side. I think he would be an excellent choice, and I would hate to see the Penguins let him go elsewhere.

You could be right, although there may be more at play here. I do believe the Pens felt Botteril was the heir apparent when JR took the job. He was only going to be here two or three years. Or so we thought. Now he's about to complete his 4th season, and said this last season on the eve of the playoffs.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1704110048

Still most people, apparently, are expecting him to call it a career with each passing season.

“I guess because of where I’m at in my life, people are wondering when I might retire,” Rutherford said. “People asked me that five years ago, too. I’m still around, and they’re not. So I don’t know. I have no idea when I would consider moving away from the game
.”

He just doesn't seem to be a guy winding down his life. He's 70, but has a 10 year old son. Who is a huge hockey fan. I suspect that kid keeps JR pretty young at heart. He's built up enough goodwill that I doubt he'd be pushed out. I also think JB figured that out too. Unless something comes up with his health, I don't see JR moving on anytime particularly soon. Remember, Lou's 74.

If you recall last summer, Tocchet said the timing was wrong for him to take the Buffalo job, but he felt right in Arizona. Maybe Billy G just doesn't feel prepared yet, or maybe it's the wrong job and he's wisely steering clear. He certainly can get some unique insight on the Carolina organization. I read where the reason Francis was bumped upstairs was because the new owner wanted a figurehead, with the GM and coach bypassing Francis to deal directly with the owner. The article mentioned that the new guy fancies himself to be the Mark Cuban of the NHL in terms of hands on ownership. Which Billy G could see as career suicide. It will be interesting to see if any other jobs open up and he gets considered for. If he's willing to wait it out, he's the likely heir apparent. It's not knowing how long that may be that could be tough.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:21 pm

GMJR is doing a awesome job,soo if he is here for one or two more seasons,let it be... but I would LOVE to see Billy G as next GM,if
he will be still around.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:44 pm

If I were to guess as to when JR might step aside, I'd say along the same time that the Crosby/Malkin era is winding down. I suspect he'll be around as long as they are serious contenders, then step aside to let somebody else take over for the rebuild.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:03 pm

I wouldn’t read too much into Guerin declining an interview. He’s the 4th guy they have reached out to after LA, Nashville and NJ. The new owner seems almost as toxic as Melnyk is in Ottawa and they are going to have problems finding a good candidate.

I would not be surprised to see a double switch of Arizona moving to Quebec City and Carolina moving to Houston in a couple years maybe as soon as Seattle enters the league.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:00 pm

At the heart of it is that Rutherford is staying longer than expected. When he was hired, the impression was that he was going to be a short-term stabilizer until they transitioned to the real heir to the position. But then they won back-to-back championships and are chasing a dynasty. Rutherford, overall, has been masterful and I can't blame him for riding this out. He's an all-in GM, and the Pens are all in for the next few years. I would expect that once they begin to transition to the next era, he'll retire and somebody else will see to that.

It's harder to read what the plans really are for succession. It could be that Botteril was the next guy in line, but seeing that his opportunity wasn't going to open anytime soon, he took a GM job when the right one became available. Or he knew Guerin had passed him up and that gave him even more reason to take a different GM job. It's certainly possible that they are grooming Guerin for the job next, but it probably boils down the same way. Ideally, he'd probably wait for the Pens job to open up, but if it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon, and another attractive position opens up, I could see him taking it.

Clearly, Carolina's job is not that. They have a nice foundation and are on the verge of being a playoff team, but they're going to have a hard time getting a really good candidate when you know going in your hands are going to be tied.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Maestro on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:04 am

Carolina is apparently offering $400,000 as salary which is turning off a lot of candidates.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:54 am

Owchar76 wrote:Carolina is apparently offering $400,000 as salary which is turning off a lot of candidates.

Sign me up!
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:44 am

Steve Dave wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:Carolina is apparently offering $400,000 as salary which is turning off a lot of candidates.

Sign me up!

I could make as many NHL player trades as Francis did for that price.

But for a NHL management professional, the Carolina job is a bad gig, for all the reasons stated above. Billy G could both use the experience of working with GMJR for a few more years, possibly win more Cups with the team, then land himself as a new GM in a rebuild mode with owners who are willing to be patient. Not a bad trajectory.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins