SCP18 Game 3 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SCP18 Game 3 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:31 am

Pens win 5-1

- 2 down, 14 more to go to lift Lord Stanley's chalice
- Hockey is the greatest game on earth and this Pens team wants to continue to be the best there is.
- Sid's opening goal was a thing of beauty... kick bouncing puck to stick, push & glide turn around for the wrap around... watch it again, he makes it look so easy :fist:
- Well documented at this point, everyone knows it... Murray is moneygold when it comes to games following a loss
- Pplay unit 2 should get a tiny bit more ice.... Yes, unit 1 is the "best ever" Pens powerplay, but even they should not be playing 1:20, getting gassed then risking a shorty
- Refs were better this game (far from perfect, see Sheary's blood), they let them play but called the obvious which allowed the Pens to be the better team
- Evident that the Pens D moved their legs to get better lanes coming out of their zone. Maatta, Schultz and Ruhwedel all took 3-4 quick steps to open space before making plays
- Sheahan has been a playoff beast. He's knocking down Flyers & outside of one giveaway, played an almost perfect 4th line/PK game
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: SCP18 Game 3 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby no name on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:56 am

Murray stops about 3 quality scoring chances in the first 2 minutes. Plants seeds of doubt in Flyers mind.

First goal was the real back breaker. Shut the arena up and put flyers on their heels.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 am

Was Letang's bloody nose from the gloved punch from Couturier?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am

Great58 wrote:Was Letang's bloody nose from the gloved punch from Couturier?

Yes
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:11 am

Sid was singing like Sinatra! That save and that goal is how you remove the crowd. At this point the pens have experienced every high, every low. They can all remember when something happened and they were able to overcome it. Cup final last year; they went for a very long time without a shot. Got one, got the victory.
Coach Sullivan, an A. He started Hornqvist with Sid... Hornqvist tied up the flyer against the wall when Sid score the first goal. Also, no penguin took the overly stupid penalty. That is coaching and the players listening.
The PK gets an A for "bend, breathe heavily, but don't break coverage.
Matt Murray~ get it done.
I love hearing a sad broadcast crew and crowd.

^ I thought I saw Letang and Courtier jousting with their sticks around their mouths.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: “Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” ~WW

Postby Kharlamov on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:30 am

penny lane wrote:Coach Sullivan, an A. He started Hornqvist with Sid... Hornqvist tied up the flyer against the wall when Sid score the first goal. Also, no penguin took the overly stupid penalty. That is coaching and the players listening.

The game highlights don't capture this part of the goal, but I see you noticed as well, Hornqvist made a very smart play to hit the defender and take him out of the play. It left that guy chasing him back to the net and freed up some space while Sid wrapped it around.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:57 am

You guys really need to check out the nifty feet work by Sid on that wrap around. Not many players can do or try that edge work. Not sure how to describe it. On both inside edges he wraps around the net. WOW!! hard to do more less pull off during the game.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:43 am

What a game!!!
- Murray was stellar, especially in the first. Sid was correct in giving him props during the post-game interview. :thumb:
- The captain comes through in the clutch. Wrap-around goal sent the message that he is still the world's best hockey player. :thumb:
- OMG, I loved that 4th goal. Crosby undresses Giroux in the face-off circle then makes the perfect feed. :fist:
- Could have heard a pin drop in Wells Fargo. The Flyers know and their scum fan-base know that the Pens are coming for them in Game 4.

OK Pens, you have your foot on their throats. Keep pressuring them!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Thankfully Murray has a glove hand or this game could have gone sideways in a hurry.

The 4th line got buried at even strength. As good as Sheahan “looked”, the line as a whole stunk. They spend a lot time bleeding shots.

Simmonds isn’t noticeable at all. A big tough customer that plays physical and has a history of owning the front of our net. Where is he? Must be the Reaves factor. (Btw he hasn’t dressed for Vegas in the playoffs and they look great)

Sid’s skating is ridiculous. Scoring that goal without a curve isn’t easy. The backhand sauce? Insane!
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby midd on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Quick Fact: Brian Dumolin has more points in this series than any of the Flyers' players!
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 pm

midd wrote:Quick Fact: Brian Dumolin has more points in this series than any of the Flyers' players!

The French Hick hasn’t scored a playoff goal in over 4 years.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Stillerz Bar on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Had to DVR the game and turn off all notifications on my phone till IO was finally able to watch it just about the time the game was really ending. Thought it was driving me crazy, one advantage was that I was able to fast forward through the intermission gibberish (though to be fair I did stop & watch the Pens goals highlights :) ).

- Murray’s first 10 minutes had the Flyers & their fans nervous and then Sid’s goal just sucked the life out of the arena.
- Glad to see “Big Game Brass” get a goal (though I’d never heard him called that since coming to the Pens). Hope this gets him going as he really hasn’t added much to date.
- All the TV announcers talk about Ovie’s PP shot but it amazes me how the same rarely comes up about Geno. When he is at the dot and gets a pass feathered in you know he always wants to shoot it. When he slides it back to the point you can almost hear him saying “Send it back for my soul crushing slap shot!!” While Geno isn’t as dialed in at Sid, he is still playing good hockey and that bodes well for us as the post season unfolds. Now if we can just get Phil going………
- Sid’s play on the “5 second goal” was just amazing!! He personally undressed all 5 Flyers and then let Dumo embarrass Elliott
- When will the announcers quit saying that the reason Letang isn’t on the first PP unit is because of the hit in PIT. His time on that unit had diminished to almost nothing.
- My favorite talking heads comment after the game “Is there anyone who is more comfortable in an opponent’s arena than Sid is in Philly?

Non Pens playoff notes:
- The Caps heading to Ohio down 0-2 with both losses coming on OT after holding a 2-goal lead is just a pleasure to watch. They were so focused on beating the Pens that they seem to have forgotten that they have to win the first round matchup to even get to that series. Still doable but they have dug quite a hole for themselves.
- I’m really enjoying watching Flower and the Golden Knights out west.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:53 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Thankfully Murray has a glove hand or this game could have gone sideways in a hurry.

The 4th line got buried at even strength. As good as Sheahan “looked”, the line as a whole stunk. They spend a lot time bleeding shots.

Simmonds isn’t noticeable at all. A big tough customer that plays physical and has a history of owning the front of our net. Where is he? Must be the Reaves factor. (Btw he hasn’t dressed for Vegas in the playoffs and they look great)

Sid’s skating is ridiculous. Scoring that goal without a curve isn’t easy. The backhand sauce? Insane!

Good point on the 4th line, my point was more that it was Sheahan who tended to stop the bleeding, but with authority ;)

Also agree on the backhand pass.... While it was "lathered in sauce", it was so good that Dumo didn't really even need to dust it off.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Stillerz Bar wrote:- Sid’s play on the “5 second goal” was just amazing!! He personally undressed all 5 Flyers and then let Dumo embarrass Elliott

How I forgot to mention that goal is beyond me. You don't often see a center grease by a player so easy, and then Sid had the presence of mind to keep going north... what a pass.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 pm

midd wrote:Quick Fact: Brian Dumolin has more points in this series than any of the Flyers' players!

Great point. Dumolin has had a tremendous series defensively as well.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Great response. Everything I could ask for. Withstood early onslaught and still crushed them, which should remove any momentum they had from game 2.

Dumo has been great

I have always been hesitant about Murray but he's been great overall. Can a goalie really be mediocre in the regular season and be a stud in the playoffs?

Other than the pens winning it all, the one thing I want more than anything every year is an early exit for Washington.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Pretty sure Letang plays better when injured. If he is physically limited, he is more likely to simplify his game.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 pm

It will be interesting to see if this next game is any closer, all one sided affairs so far which suits me fine as long as the Pens are on the long end of the stick!

And the Crosby hate just kills me, remember when the Cryers fans would heckle Jagr and make that stupid noise whenever he carried the puck? Then he plays for them and all is forgotten and he is "great" in their eyes. They're just jealous because they know Sid is the best player going and he isn't on their team, and after seeing them get whacked in their own building I get the feeling they might come out with SOME jump but like has been said on here "nothing is new to the Pens", they've gone through so many different setbacks and trials to win the Cup two years in a row do you think they will let a so-so team like the Cryers trip them up? NO WAY!!!!!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Weegie wrote:It will be interesting to see if this next game is any closer, all one sided affairs so far which suits me fine as long as the Pens are on the long end of the stick!

And the Crosby hate just kills me, remember when the Cryers fans would heckle Jagr and make that stupid noise whenever he carried the puck? Then he plays for them and all is forgotten and he is "great" in their eyes. They're just jealous because they know Sid is the best player going and he isn't on their team, and after seeing them get whacked in their own building I get the feeling they might come out with SOME jump but like has been said on here "nothing is new to the Pens", they've gone through so many different setbacks and trials to win the Cup two years in a row do you think they will let a so-so team like the Cryers trip them up? NO WAY!!!!!

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/sidney-crosby-flyers-penguins-nhl-playoffs-20180415.html

A philly paper view of Crosby, its actually quite a good piece. even coming down on Philly fans for the hate they display towards him. But I truly get it, if someone beats you up that much you gotta grow tied of it and it must make you hate him more.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wondermoose on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 pm

no name wrote:
Weegie wrote:It will be interesting to see if this next game is any closer, all one sided affairs so far which suits me fine as long as the Pens are on the long end of the stick!

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/sidney-crosby-flyers-penguins-nhl-playoffs-20180415.html

A philly paper view of Crosby, its actually quite a good piece. even coming down on Philly fans for the hate they display towards him. But I truly get it, if someone beats you up that much you gotta grow tied of it and it must make you hate him more.

It never really dawned on me, but my god, Crosby really would have been perfect fit for the Flyers. He embodies everything that they value in their (now extinct) brand of hockey. Never really thought about it before.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Playoff hockey is better when Washington is playing during the day off. So I can cheer one day and hate the next day. Now I have nothing to watch. Bruins/Toronto Devils/Tampa not doing it for me.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sergei on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Other than the pens winning it all, the one thing I want more than anything every year is an early exit for Washington.[/quote]

Early but not too early! Let them take CBJ to 7 games and lose in 3OT!

CBJ looks like a very tough team to beat...

And no, I am NOT jinxing the Pens by saying this! Let's pretend this has nothing to do with the Pens.
sergei
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pronovost19 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:10 pm

I am ready to see Jooris get a chance. Other than that all is well in the world of Pens land.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:12 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Playoff hockey is better when Washington is playing during the day off. So I can cheer one day and hate the next day. Now I have nothing to watch. Bruins/Toronto Devils/Tampa not doing it for me.

Why hate? You can cheer one and then cheer the other one, whoever is playing against Washington.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby juicebox1 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:43 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 5-1
- Hockey is the greatest game on earth and this Pens team wants to continue to be the best there is.
- Pplay unit 2 should get a tiny bit more ice.... Yes, unit 1 is the "best ever" Pens powerplay, but even they should not be playing 1:20, getting gassed then risking a shorty
- Evident that the Pens D moved their legs to get better lanes coming out of their zone. Maatta, Schultz and Ruhwedel all took 3-4 quick steps to open space before making plays
- Sheahan has been a playoff beast. He's knocking down Flyers & outside of one giveaway, played an almost perfect 4th line/PK game

excellent post, and i especially echo these points. there is still a lot of room to improve, but that was the response we all expected from a b2b champion. if brassard keeps improving, murray sustains this momentum, and letang sharpens his outlet passes even a bit...i hope to see a run into summer.
juicebox1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins