Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Skatingpen on Fri May 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Pro hockey rumors. Not much new but didn’t see it shared yet

https://twitter.com/prohockeyrumors/sta ... 59456?s=21
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Fri May 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Skatingpen wrote:Pro hockey rumors. Not much new but didn’t see it shared yet

An article which uses Tim Benz, Fat boy Madden, and clueless Ron Cook as sources. Now there's a trifecta for you. :roll:
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Fri May 25, 2018 4:25 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
dark_forces wrote:Anyone read the latest TIOPS article? Anything worthwhile about kessel?

The Onion of Hockey (aka TIOPS) says the Penguins are looking for 1 of 2 scenarios for a Kessel trade:

1. A Neal for Hornqvist type swap, where the player coming back for Kessel is a more complete, 200 foot player. TIOPS says this is the primary objective, and the Pittsburgh is open to retaining a small percentage of Kessel's contract.

2. Opening up about 4M in cap space, and having a young NHL player coming back.

TIOPS says there is interest from Arizona, Nashville, and Chicago.
---states Poile likes Kessel. Talking about a Kessel for Craig Smith centered deal
---states Hawks have buyers remorse over Panarin for Saad, and that Saad would be the player coming back for Penguins. Then goes on to say the increased speed is limiting Saad's effectiveness, where others say he just had an off year and will rebound.
---Arizona is seen because of scenario 2.

-Craig Smith would be a good start but I'd want more from Nashville.

-I have no interest in Saad at 6M, he needs to prove that this past season wasn't the norm for him.

-The ultimate wild card here is can Kessel plus get the Pens the #5 pick? If so, I would really consider it. Finding a way then to get from #5 to #1 for Rasmus Dahlin could then be achievable. IMO Rasmus Dahlin can be a franchise defenseman the Pens could build around for a decade. I wouldn't let that opportunity slip by if the Pens could do it.

Has Buffalo said they are looking to trade out of #1? If they are that would be insanely stupid.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri May 25, 2018 4:37 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
dark_forces wrote:Anyone read the latest TIOPS article? Anything worthwhile about kessel?

The Onion of Hockey (aka TIOPS) says the Penguins are looking for 1 of 2 scenarios for a Kessel trade:

1. A Neal for Hornqvist type swap, where the player coming back for Kessel is a more complete, 200 foot player. TIOPS says this is the primary objective, and the Pittsburgh is open to retaining a small percentage of Kessel's contract.

---states Poile likes Kessel. Talking about a Kessel for Craig Smith centered deal
---states Hawks have buyers remorse over Panarin for Saad, and that Saad would be the player coming back for Penguins. Then goes on to say the increased speed is limiting Saad's effectiveness, where others say he just had an off year and will rebound.

-I have no interest in Saad at 6M, he needs to prove that this past season wasn't the norm for him.

-The ultimate wild card here is can Kessel plus get the Pens the #5 pick? If so, I would really consider it. Finding a way then to get from #5 to #1 for Rasmus Dahlin could then be achievable. IMO Rasmus Dahlin can be a franchise defenseman the Pens could build around for a decade. I wouldn't let that opportunity slip by if the Pens could do it.

I don't think ANYONE is going to give up a top 10 pick for Kessel. I would be downright shocked if it happened. Most teams lottery protect any 1st round picks they trade. You give up a lottery pick for a young, stud player, not a 31 year old player.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Fri May 25, 2018 4:44 pm

First... Alexander Daigle was a franchise player too. Dahlin hasn't played a single NHL game yet before we crown him the next Lidstrom.

Second, can't imagine moving 6.8m Kessel for 6m Saad.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri May 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Antonio wrote:First... Alexander Daigle was a franchise player too. Dahlin hasn't played a single NHL game yet before we crown him the next Lidstrom.

To be honest with you, I think a lot of top picks fail because they go to bad teams that rush their development. If The Pens drafted Dahlin (and in no way am I suggesting it'll happen), we won't see him for 3 years. With Buffalo, he'll likely play next season.

As for Daigle, he was just lazy (if I remember correctly) so not really a good comparison, though I agree that not all top picks become stars.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri May 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Daniel wrote:
Antonio wrote:First... Alexander Daigle was a franchise player too. Dahlin hasn't played a single NHL game yet before we crown him the next Lidstrom.

To be honest with you, I think a lot of top picks fail because they go to bad teams that rush their development. If The Pens drafted Dahlin (and in no way am I suggesting it'll happen), we won't see him for 3 years. With Buffalo, he'll likely play next season.

As for Daigle, he was just lazy (if I remember correctly) so not really a good comparison, though I agree that not all top picks become stars.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Dahlin play in the NHL next season, but he should be in a 3rd pairing role. Much like what we did with Schultz playing sheltered minutes.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri May 25, 2018 5:11 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I don't think ANYONE is going to give up a top 10 pick for Kessel. I would be downright shocked if it happened. Most teams lottery protect any 1st round picks they trade. You give up a lottery pick for a young, stud player, not a 31 year old player.

Look what they did in trading the 7th overall pick. Raanta and Stepan. Arguably if you did Kessel and Sheary for the 5th overall pick the Pens would have gave up more than the Rangers.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Fri May 25, 2018 5:35 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:It is nice to see that people have finally taken off the rose-colored-Sullivan glasses and are beginning to see what I have been saying for a year and a half.

All coaches have a shelf life, with that said when you consider some of the clowns this organization has employed as the coach over its history, I would put Sullivan just behind Bob Johnson and Bowman.

Wait, are you saying Sullivan is better than Creamer, Hlinka, Eddie O, Kehoe, Ubriaco? NO WAY! Those were some real winners.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Fri May 25, 2018 6:19 pm

opie22002 wrote:If they do trade Kessel, I think they would want to do so prior to free agency. I don’t think the Pens would get much of a return for him. The biggest benefit would probably be the salary cap savings. Use that to go out and address needs like a better bottom pairing defenseman and better bottom 6 depth.

IF they do trade him they better get a large haul for him, he isn't a guy you dump salary on. He is a 90pt winger who other than this year has performed in the playoffs while here. If nobody wants to give a fair return than they need to keep him. Hence why I think all this trade talk about him is bogus.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri May 25, 2018 7:17 pm

Hatrick wrote:
opie22002 wrote:If they do trade Kessel, I think they would want to do so prior to free agency. I don’t think the Pens would get much of a return for him. The biggest benefit would probably be the salary cap savings. Use that to go out and address needs like a better bottom pairing defenseman and better bottom 6 depth.

IF they do trade him they better get a large haul for him, he isn't a guy you dump salary on. He is a 90pt winger who other than this year has performed in the playoffs while here. If nobody wants to give a fair return than they need to keep him. Hence why I think all this trade talk about him is bogus.

I feel the same way, you don't dump 90 pt players who are being paid 6.8M. If a shakeup is needed I'd dump Letang before Kessel.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Sat May 26, 2018 3:37 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Hatrick wrote:

I feel the same way, you don't dump 90 pt players who are being paid 6.8M. If a shakeup is needed I'd dump Letang before Kessel.

I feel the same way..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 am

Leave Phill alone Sully. Whatever problems you have with him talk to him and work it out....without Phill you don’t have 2 cups in your resume.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat May 26, 2018 9:55 am

KG wrote:Leave Phill alone Sully. Whatever problems you have with him talk to him and work it out....without Phill you don’t have 2 cups in your resume.

If Rutherford can make another Neal for Hornqvist type of deal for Kessel then he is probably gone. I don't see him being moved for non-proven NHL type of player.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sat May 26, 2018 10:08 am

Skatingpen wrote:Pro hockey rumors. Not much new but didn’t see it shared yet

The first reply "I think that he has been a cancer for Pittsburgh." WTF? Where do people come up with this bull?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 am

Pens4Life wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Hatrick wrote:

I feel the same way..

I guess I have a dramatically different view than most. I'd rather see the team as a whole remain a competitive group during and beyond the 87/71 era, than make a run for another 2-3 years, and be left holding the bag on a team where your top 5 most expensive forwards are also your 5 oldest players who are going to start showing signs of decline and have limited trade value in a few years, and the team is left with no young players to continue to carry the load.

I am definitely not in the "Phil must be moved" category, but if the Penguins could move him for a young forward that is 40-50 point capable today, and still has some upside to grow, I would strongly consider the move. The Penguins have ZERO under 25 forwards right now that they can count on moving forward. Guentzel is about 80% there with his playoff success. I'd just like to see him have one more 40-50 point season this coming season, and bring his points per game total somewhere between where it was last year and this year. Rust is decent, but he's never going to be a game breaking forward. Sheary is madly inconsistent. Sprong and ZAR hasn't proven anything yet at this level. The Penguins don't have a single forward that I didn't just mention in the pipeline who is better than Guentzel is right now. There are no game breakers in the waiting. I'm not even talking elite level. There are no 50 point players in the system right now.

I get it. Phil has been successful. Phil just put up his best offensive season EVER. But sometimes, people seem to forget that you can trade a good player, and get a better player that upgrades THE TEAM. You almost certainly aren't going to get the same output, but, maybe the guy you get in his place still puts up 50-60 points, still has good wheels, plays good defensively, and can play either wing position. It's not always about swapping 1 player for another because the player you acquire is supposed to be better, it's getting a player in return that fits and improves the team concept.

See Neal, James for Hornqvist, Patric trade.......I'd say that one has worked out quite well, because while the point production is lower than what Neal provided here, Hornqvist brought an element that THE TEAM sorely needed. If the Penguins were to move Phil, and they got a young player who fits their system, or even a guy only 3-5 years younger who improves the team concept, I'm all for it.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Sat May 26, 2018 11:41 am

It’s not that I’m against moving Phill if it’s for the betterment of the team. And it’s a smart hockey trade.

I do however have a problem if they want to move Phill because Sully has a problem with him. I don’t like when a coach starts to think he runs the organization.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat May 26, 2018 11:51 am

FLPensFan wrote:I guess I have a dramatically different view than most. I'd rather see the team as a whole remain a competitive group during and beyond the 87/71 era, than make a run for another 2-3 years, and be left holding the bag on a team where your top 5 most expensive forwards are also your 5 oldest players who are going to start showing signs of decline and have limited trade value in a few years, and the team is left with no young players to continue to carry the load.

I am definitely not in the "Phil must be moved" category, but if the Penguins could move him for a young forward that is 40-50 point capable today, and still has some upside to grow, I would strongly consider the move. The Penguins have ZERO under 25 forwards right now that they can count on moving forward. Guentzel is about 80% there with his playoff success. I'd just like to see him have one more 40-50 point season this coming season, and bring his points per game total somewhere between where it was last year and this year. Rust is decent, but he's never going to be a game breaking forward. Sheary is madly inconsistent. Sprong and ZAR hasn't proven anything yet at this level. The Penguins don't have a single forward that I didn't just mention in the pipeline who is better than Guentzel is right now. There are no game breakers in the waiting. I'm not even talking elite level. There are no 50 point players in the system right now.

I get it. Phil has been successful. Phil just put up his best offensive season EVER. But sometimes, people seem to forget that you can trade a good player, and get a better player that upgrades THE TEAM. You almost certainly aren't going to get the same output, but, maybe the guy you get in his place still puts up 50-60 points, still has good wheels, plays good defensively, and can play either wing position. It's not always about swapping 1 player for another because the player you acquire is supposed to be better, it's getting a player in return that fits and improves the team concept.

See Neal, James for Hornqvist, Patric trade.......I'd say that one has worked out quite well, because while the point production is lower than what Neal provided here, Hornqvist brought an element that THE TEAM sorely needed. If the Penguins were to move Phil, and they got a young player who fits their system, or even a guy only 3-5 years younger who improves the team concept, I'm all for it.

I get your point about not wanting to go through a total rebuild, but adding a 40-50 point guy who makes 4M-5M really going to help this team win another Cup?

You lose an elite winger and the main QB on the PP, if you trade Kessel for a guy who produces half of what he does for only a 1M-2M cap savings we lose.

I am way more interested in moving Kessel for an impact prospect or a Kessel + for a Top 10 pick. Like I said earlier Phoenix just moved the #7 for Antti Raanta and Derrick Stepan. It can be done.

IF the Pens moved Kessel for a Top 10 pick you get a prospect with a higher likelihood of success / being an impact player in the next couple seasons while also allowing you to bring in that Hornqvist type player (JVR can be signed for what Phil is making, probably a bit less).

So why not add that Hornqvist type guy while also grabbing a Top 10 pick? If it means tossing in Sheary and a pick in 2019 so be it.

With that being said I still find it mind-boggling that Sully's preference is to trade Kessel before Letang. Moving Letang should be the priority before all else, if you want to save $, reload, and continue to remain competitive. No one is writing about how much better we were defensively WITHOUT Letang.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Kessel is just much more expendable than Letang is on this team. The strength is up front. They have next to no depth on defense and literally no high end prospects on defense in the organization.

Letang needs to be given a full off season where he's healthy and can train the way he's use to. If next season he's as inconsistent as he was this past year, then maybe you need to look to deal him. But not now.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat May 26, 2018 12:22 pm

You take a team that has won nine straight playoff series - something very few teams have done in the entire history of the league - and the response is to blow up the team by trading off its best players? People are calling to blow up and rebuild a team that lost a tight series to a team that then went on to beat a team that had a much better regular season record to make it to the finals and stands a good chance of winning them?

Why don't we see if we can keep that team together as long as possible and see if we can pull off something like Edmonton did in the 1980s? Kessel is a great player. You want him traded based on speculation by hack sportswriters that the coach is having issues with him (remember when Rossi claimed Malkin wanted out a couple of summers ago?). Never mind that in his good-bye letter to the fans that coach praised Kessel and made statements about looking forward to working with him again next season. Letang is a great player. Yes, he makes mistakes that cost goals. Guess what - so did Paul Coffey. I used to scream about all of the holding penalties he'd take and how many odd-man rushes went the other way because he took so many risks in the offensive zone and got caught so often. And yet, when you want the puck moved up ice from out of the defensive zone, who would you rather have it on their stick?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Sat May 26, 2018 1:41 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:You take a team that has won nine straight playoff series - something very few teams have done in the entire history of the league - and the response is to blow up the team by trading off its best players? People are calling to blow up and rebuild a team that lost a tight series to a team that then went on to beat a team that had a much better regular season record to make it to the finals and stands a good chance of winning them?

Why don't we see if we can keep that team together as long as possible and see if we can pull off something like Edmonton did in the 1980s? Kessel is a great player. You want him traded based on speculation by hack sportswriters that the coach is having issues with him (remember when Rossi claimed Malkin wanted out a couple of summers ago?). Never mind that in his good-bye letter to the fans that coach praised Kessel and made statements about looking forward to working with him again next season. Letang is a great player. Yes, he makes mistakes that cost goals. Guess what - so did Paul Coffey. I used to scream about all of the holding penalties he'd take and how many odd-man rushes went the other way because he took so many risks in the offensive zone and got caught so often. And yet, when you want the puck moved up ice from out of the defensive zone, who would you rather have it on their stick?

There is nothing wrong with trading Kessel if you can make the team better both in long and short term. Doesn’t mean the player you acquire for Kessel will put up his kind of numbers, he probably will not. If you open up some cap space with the move, if gives them the chance to add another asset to make the team better.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat May 26, 2018 2:07 pm

farnham16 wrote:Kessel is just much more expendable than Letang is on this team. The strength is up front. They have next to no depth on defense and literally no high end prospects on defense in the organization.

Letang needs to be given a full off season where he's healthy and can train the way he's use to. If next season he's as inconsistent as he was this past year, then maybe you need to look to deal him. But not now.

Is training going to make him realize that he plays on the right side not the left? Is it going to help him realize what's a responsible pinch and what isn't?

This team won a cup without Letang. Vegas is winning with a corp committed to playing solid defense. Its time to move on from Letang, and if not we will be in the same spot next year as we are this year.

I agree with your point that the strength is upfront, yet another reason to let Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Kessel, Brassard, and now Sprong do their thing. Just stop with the dumb defensive mistakes!
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat May 26, 2018 2:11 pm

pens_CT wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:You take a team that has won nine straight playoff series - something very few teams have done in the entire history of the league - and the response is to blow up the team by trading off its best players? People are calling to blow up and rebuild a team that lost a tight series to a team that then went on to beat a team that had a much better regular season record to make it to the finals and stands a good chance of winning them?

There is nothing wrong with trading Kessel if you can make the team better both in long and short term. Doesn’t mean the player you acquire for Kessel will put up his kind of numbers, he probably will not. If you open up some cap space with the move, if gives them the chance to add another asset to make the team better.

What if the Pens were to trade Letang / Sheary to Buffalo for say Reinhart plus and Kessel to Phoenix for Domi plus. Then use the cap savings (17M) to sign Carlson and JVR. Not to mention moving Hunwick and having close to 19M for Carlson, JVR, and a bottom pairing PK specialist.

Doesnt that make the Pens a MUCH better and deeper team?

LW: Guentzel, JVR, Hagelin, Domi, ZAR
RW: Hornqvist, Reinhardt, Sprong, Rust
C: Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat May 26, 2018 2:20 pm

pens_CT wrote:

You hold onto the players that got you there for as long as you can.

Kessel is a key part of this team. You aren't going to replace him with two or even three players. It isn't even the point production - it's the threat that he creates. There is no way to trade him and keep this team as good in the short term. Heck, someone above is talking about trading him to set up another trade to get a draft pick that may or may not pan out in three years.

The reason Sully wants him on the third line is to create a situation where the opponent has to decide which line they are going to play their bottom pair defense against. Do you play them against Crosby? Malkin? or Brassard/Kessel. Replace Kessel in that last group with just some guy, and you lose that. You can have just a guy with the first two, but Brassard isn't that good to be a threat on his own. Kessel is.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat May 26, 2018 2:21 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Kessel is just much more expendable than Letang is on this team. The strength is up front. They have next to no depth on defense and literally no high end prospects on defense in the organization.

Is training going to make him realize that he plays on the right side not the left? Is it going to help him realize what's a responsible pinch and what isn't?

This team won a cup without Letang. Vegas is winning with a corp committed to playing solid defense. Its time to move on from Letang, and if not we will be in the same spot next year as we are this year.

I agree with your point that the strength is upfront, yet another reason to let Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Kessel, Brassard, and now Sprong do their thing. Just stop with the dumb defensive mistakes!

Solid defense includes the forwards. How many times in the playoffs this year did the forwards fail to cover when the defender pinched?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins