2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Looks like the cap is 79.5-80 million. Not sure if that is what everyone was hoping for or not.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:22 pm

Definitely want a haul for Phill. Or we don’t deal him. At the end of the day we are dealing the best player in the deal coming off of a career season.

Kessel, Hunwick to LA for Taffoli, Forbort and 1st round pick
Kessel, Sheary to Chicago for Saad and Duclair, 1st round pick
Kessel and Sheary to Minnesota for Niederaiter, Coyle

We need to acquire quality depth if we are giving up a star...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hatrick on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:06 pm

opie22002 wrote:Anybody else hear of a Kessel for Ellis swap? It was cited here:

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/t ... -intensify

That seems pretty fair to me.

depends on what else the penguins get back in the deal on top of ellis, if that's one for one no way should they even consider that deal. Very few guys in the league I would trade phil one for one for, ellis is certainly not one.
Last edited by Hatrick on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Pens interested in Jack Johnson says Jason Mackey.
edit- I wouldn't be surprised if GMJR wasn't just trying to drive the price up for his ex-draft pick. We couldn't possibly afford him.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Hatrick wrote:
opie22002 wrote:Anybody else hear of a Kessel for Ellis swap? It was cited here:

depends on what else the penguins get back in the deal on top of ellis, if that's one for one no way should they even consider that deal. Very few guys in the league I would trade phil one for one for, ellis is certainly not one.

Nashville is pretty stocked on the left side. Would they do Arvidsson and a D?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 pm

ville5 wrote:Pens interested in Jack Johnson says Jason Mackey.
edit- I wouldn't be surprised if GMJR wasn't just trying to drive the price up for his ex-draft pick. We couldn't possibly afford him.

Friend of Sid...he needs all the money he could get due to the fact his parents screwed him. No way will we be the top bidder.

Rig/Johnson is a solid 3rd pairing however...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:24 pm

KG wrote:Definitely want a haul for Phill. Or we don’t deal him. At the end of the day we are dealing the best player in the deal coming off of a career season.

If we move Kessel I want a Letang replacement so we can you know trade Letang
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:01 pm

The Pens seemed a bit slow against some of the more faster teams in the league. Trading Kessel for either Toffoli or Niedereiter will make them even more slower. I like both of them as players but if they were to be acquired then you must keep Hagelin and then go out and get Grabner!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cojac on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 pm

KG wrote:

Friend of Sid...he needs all the money he could get due to the fact his parents screwed him. No way will we be the top bidder.

Rig/Johnson is a solid 3rd pairing however...

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Maatta-Oleksiak
Ruhwedel
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 pm

GM John Chayka says Yohe is full of it.
http://arizonasports.com/category/podca ... g+%26+Wolf
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:30 pm

sjnhiils wrote:The Pens seemed a bit slow against some of the more faster teams in the league. Trading Kessel for either Toffoli or Niedereiter will make them even more slower. I like both of them as players but if they were to be acquired then you must keep Hagelin and then go out and get Grabner!

I think Kessel's speed is a bit misleading. Hes fast with the puck on his stick, and that is about it. I cant recall him ever using that top end speed to get back on defense, and if it does happen, it isn't very often. Guys like Hagelin and Grabner are fast most of the time, whether rushing the zone or racing back on defense.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:30 pm

ville5 wrote:GM John Chayka says Yohe is full of it.

Any summary for those that cant immediately listen.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:38 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

“I’d like to know more about it, too. I think it’s terrible reporting,” Chayka said. “It’s inaccurate across the board from start to finish. I don’t know where some things come up. I’m the one having trade discussions, those discussions with the Penguins haven’t occurred. Unless someone else is making calls that I don’t know about, I’m not sure where his information’s coming from.”
http://arizonasports.com/story/1567023/ ... -penguins/
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:45 pm

KG wrote:Definitely want a haul for Phill. Or we don’t deal him. At the end of the day we are dealing the best player in the deal coming off of a career season.

I don't think any of those are unreasonable. The base price to me is similar to what the Penguins paid.....high end prospect, mid level roster player, 1st round pick.......or high end roster player, mid prospect, 1st rounder......or high end player and prospect with no 1st round pick.

One issue though is the flood of wingers available. Skinner, JVR, Kovalchuk, Simmonds, Niederreiter, Panarin. I think there are one or two others I am missing, but Phil and Panarin would be too of that class, but JVR and Kovalchuk can be attractive as UFA and no assets given to obtain.

I do believe Rutherford has 1 or 2 offers in front of him that he is pondering. Seeing the cap # is the first step. Deciding if the return is the right mix for the team, opens up cap space for other designs, etc also part of it.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:51 pm

We gave up Kapanen,no.1 and Harrington to get Kessel. If Nashville wants him, tell them Tolvanen and a no.1 or no deal!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 pm

I'm not crazy about a 1st-round pick being a major part of any hypothetical Kessel trade. Unless it's a top-5 pick, that player taken with the pick is unlikely to help the Pens for another 2-3 years, and they don't have that long to wait.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:38 pm

largegarlic wrote:I'm not crazy about a 1st-round pick being a major part of any hypothetical Kessel trade. Unless it's a top-5 pick, that player taken with the pick is unlikely to help the Pens for another 2-3 years, and they don't have that long to wait.

Depends on the other pieces though. Top end mid 20s F or D. Top end early 20s F or D prospect. First round pick.

I think the Pens can get that kind of package (which is higher than they paid) and not worry about where the 1st pick is. They are selling high, a proven Stanley Cup winner. Toronto sold low and the Pens are selling high.

w/Tor:
2013-14 37G 80P
2014-15 25G 61P
Ton of media controversy

w/Pitt
2016-17 23G 70P
2017-18 34G 92P
Minimal controversy because of trade rumors, nothing compared to Toronto.

He's 3 years older sure, but also 3 years less time on the contract and Pittsburgh is selling higher production and lower salary than Toronto did. PLUS, 2 time Stanley Cup winner.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 pm

KG wrote:Rumor is Wayne Simmonds is available. If so JR should pull a Doug Wilson/Dale Tallon and get him on the flip side since Pens Flyers won’t make a trade!

Anyone notice Simmonds at all during our first round series?
Me neither.
Simmonds is on the decline.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cojac on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:19 pm

This might have something to do with his lack of production. Simmonds disclosed that he finished the season with a torn pelvis, broken ankle, torn ligament in his thumb and a pulled groin, Tom Dougherty of NBC Sports Philly reports.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 pm

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

“I’d like to know more about it, too. I think it’s terrible reporting,” Chayka said. “It’s inaccurate across the board from start to finish. I don’t know where some things come up. I’m the one having trade discussions, those discussions with the Penguins haven’t occurred. Unless someone else is making calls that I don’t know about, I’m not sure where his information’s coming from.”
http://arizonasports.com/story/1567023/ ... -penguins/

I guess it is odd that Chayka is addressing it, but I really wouldn't expect him to say much differently. In Yohe's case, he has a source, who I'm sure has fed him other information in the past that was accurate, so Yohe trusts the information he is getting.

I can see Chayka being mad at the speculation of Arizona being a cap floor team. That won't help them draw UFAs, and won't help them sell tickets if true.

The big loser in this is likely Rutherford, because if any of the info Yohe spilled is true, it could have sabotaged a future deal with Arizona. Also, if it is true, Rutherford can't be happy that someone in his front office is leaking that type of informaiton.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 pm

From the land of "We can only dream...", two trades of the two biggest names discussed in Penguins rumors. No, I don't think this is remotely going to happen, but, if the Penguins were to move both Letang and Kessel, here's a return I wouldn't turn down...... (I'm bored right now.... :) )

Kessel, Hunwick, and a 5th to MIN for Niederreiter, Oloffson, and Ennis (MIN makes us take Ennis and his 4.6M contract that expires after this year, to free up some cap space for MIN)
Letang, Sheary, and Jarry to Skinner, Faulk, and 2019 3rd rounder

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Skinner-Malkin-Niederreiter
Hagelin-Brassard-Sprong
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust
xEnnis

Skinner, Niederreiter, and Rust can all play both wings, giving a bit more flexibility. Skinner adds any speed lost by Kessel. Niederreiter adds some size and some physicality with skill. He's not a tough guy, but he will hit. Ennis is able to rotate in for any of the struggling young guys or players that are cold. He plays all 3 forward positions, and taking his 4.6M salary for this year only still works cap wise.

Dumo-Faulk
Maatta-Schultz
Oloffson-Oleksiak
xRuhwedel

Faulk replaces Letang. Less overall skill, less overall cost, less money tied up in the defense. Oloffson gives a nice younger player who can develop. He has 2nd pairing potential. Carolina gets a good young goalie in Jarry, and a cheaper Skinner in Sheary, and in turn takes on a bit more salary in the more experienced, more expensive Letang.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hatrick on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:04 am

ville5 wrote:
Hatrick wrote:

Nashville is pretty stocked on the left side. Would they do Arvidsson and a D?

I don't know if they would be willing to go that far to give up both arvidsson and ellis(or one of their other top3-4 dman) since arvidsson I think was playing on one of their top lines this past year?
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:38 am

cojac wrote:This might have something to do with his lack of production. Simmonds disclosed that he finished the season with a torn pelvis, broken ankle, torn ligament in his thumb and a pulled groin, Tom Dougherty of NBC Sports Philly reports.

Meh screw the facts. He’s declining! Lol

I’d take him in Pittsburgh.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby brwi on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:39 am

cojac wrote:This might have something to do with his lack of production. Simmonds disclosed that he finished the season with a torn pelvis, broken ankle, torn ligament in his thumb and a pulled groin, Tom Dougherty of NBC Sports Philly reports.

Besides that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? Don't know how Simmonds was even walking much less skating with those injuries.

Last year was is lowest production in the past 6 years and he's hitting 30 this summer and will be UFA next. Kind of risky and it definitely would need to be a 3 team deal because Flyers ain't going to trade directly with the Pens.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 am

The kicker is that Johnson has been overvalued ever since he was drafted. He can be a very good defensive dman, but he's paid like an elite dman that he's never been and likely never will. While basing too much on what Torts does can be troubling, he benched Johnson for a while before and after the Cole trade and he's known as a big Johnson supporter going back to 2016 with Team USA. Don't need him at the cost that another foolish team will overpay him, but it's been rumored forever since he's friends with Sid.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins