2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby brwi on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:58 am

FLPensFan wrote:Anybody want to bring back Simon Despres on a cheap, two-way deal?

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/06/simon-despres-wants-a-second-chance-at-nhl.html

It would be low risk and he'd be a cheap 2-way deal. Why not? If he keeps concussion-free and maintaining his "healthier lifestyle"(less boozing?) that he had in the KHL, he could be a 6/7 dman with the Pens or an upgrade in WBS at least.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Badger Bob on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:21 am

The concussion thing scares me. I guess it's good he went through a season for his KHL team, but it was only 44 games worth.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 am

Ok, Pens are at $70.2 million. Cap to be between $79.5-$80.
How much of that do you commit to our RFAs? How much for each individual? Discuss.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 am

Jack Johnson? A scratch during the play-offs... when Columbus was fighting for it versus the caps. Pass.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: “Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” ~WW

Postby jreed on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:43 am

cojac wrote:This might have something to do with his lack of production. Simmonds disclosed that he finished the season with a torn pelvis, broken ankle, torn ligament in his thumb and a pulled groin, Tom Dougherty of NBC Sports Philly reports.

Not only did he finish the season with those injuries, he started the season with the torn pelvis. That was done in camp.

He's definitely not on the decline. Still had 46 points in 75 games. Safe to say that he'll get healthy and return to 50+ next season.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:53 am

ville5 wrote:Ok, Pens are at $70.2 million. Cap to be between $79.5-$80.
How much of that do you commit to our RFAs? How much for each individual? Discuss.

I don't think you give more than 6 million or so for the RFA's. The only 3 I'd be looking at would be Sheahan, Rust, and Oleksiak. Kuhnhakl is a dime a dozen player and would open a spot that could be fought over by some of the WBS guys.

Sheahan shouldn't get much of a raise from previous contract due to his overall performance since he signed his last one. Oleksiak, though he played better after the trade, he should probably get a 'prove your play wasn't a fluke' deal. He'll get a minor raise for 2 years I would assume. Rust will get a bigger raise from his first deal based on his body of work in the playoffs (this year notwithstanding). But I think Rutherford may pull back just a bit based on what we saw with Sheary when he got his $3mil/yr contract.

My guesses:

Sheahan ~ $2.3 mil
Oleksiak ~ $1.2 mi
Rust ~ $2.8 mil
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 am

I think the pens need a veteran and solid back up goalie. Murray isn't one to play a long season and then be able to flourish in the post-season. His body type and position, he will miss games.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 am

Jack Johnson is horrible. Just say no.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:19 am

Given how close this team was to beating the caps, probably a 50-50 chance nothing happens with trades and big free agency signings. Extra 6 weeks of rest should do wonders.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:01 am

penny lane wrote:I think the pens need a veteran and solid back up goalie. Murray isn't one to play a long season and then be able to flourish in the post-season. His body type and position, he will miss games.

I'd be perfectly fine with Jarry and DeSmith as backups. To me, cheap veteran backups would be no better. Give Murray 40-50 games and split the rest between DeSmith and Jarry and they'll be fine.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mnpensfan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:05 am

penny lane wrote:
RMNB
‏Verified account @russianmachine
1m1 minute ago
Darryl Sutter says "no way" on potentially coaching Capitals, announces retirement from NHL

:P 8-)
I read that NHL opening game schedule will be released today.
The rest of the games tomorrow.

*Pens play the CAPS ~ IN Pittsburgh to begin 2018-2019! Boston is the team for DC's banner raising.

Caps fans have such an inferiority complex when it comes to the Penguins. It doesn't go away with them winning the Cup. Twitter reaction by Caps fans complaining about the Pens not being their home opener is beyond comical. Viewing it as further proof the league favors the Penguins. :roll:
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
ville5 wrote:Ok, Pens are at $70.2 million. Cap to be between $79.5-$80.

I don't think you give more than 6 million or so for the RFA's. The only 3 I'd be looking at would be Sheahan, Rust, and Oleksiak. Kuhnhakl is a dime a dozen player and would open a spot that could be fought over by some of the WBS guys.

Sheahan shouldn't get much of a raise from previous contract due to his overall performance since he signed his last one. Oleksiak, though he played better after the trade, he should probably get a 'prove your play wasn't a fluke' deal. He'll get a minor raise for 2 years I would assume. Rust will get a bigger raise from his first deal based on his body of work in the playoffs (this year notwithstanding). But I think Rutherford may pull back just a bit based on what we saw with Sheary when he got his $3mil/yr contract.

My guesses:

Sheahan ~ $2.3 mil
Oleksiak ~ $1.2 mi
Rust ~ $2.8 mil

Sheahan's situation is a lil complicated. I've read since this is 7th season, he can be an ufa next year. More than a one year contract could prove expensive.
I think Rust will end up with at least as much as Sheary. Though not playing a full 82 games yet, could hold his aav down a bit.
That would be a fair price for Big Rig, as he only has 1 full season.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:49 am

mnpensfan wrote:
penny lane wrote:
RMNB
1m1 minute ago
Darryl Sutter says "no way" on potentially coaching Capitals, announces retirement from NHL

*Pens play the CAPS ~ IN Pittsburgh to begin 2018-2019! Boston is the team for DC's banner raising.

Caps fans have such an inferiority complex when it comes to the Penguins. It doesn't go away with them winning the Cup. Twitter reaction by Caps fans complaining about the Pens not being their home opener is beyond comical. Viewing it as further proof the league favors the Penguins. :roll:

I don't think they understand that the Caps aren't our biggest rival, even though we are their biggest rival. Living in the Philly area, I get to see that dynamic in football. The Eagles fans live to hate Dallas. Dallas losing is vastly more important than the Eagles winning. My understanding is that Dallas fans don't care either way about the Eagles.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:52 am

KG wrote:Definitely want a haul for Phill. Or we don’t deal him. At the end of the day we are dealing the best player in the deal coming off of a career season.

Kessel, Hunwick to LA for Taffoli, Forbort and 1st round pick
Kessel, Sheary to Chicago for Saad and Duclair, 1st round pick
Kessel and Sheary to Minnesota for Niederaiter, Coyle

We need to acquire quality depth if we are giving up a star...

Do not want Saad.

Kessel at $6.8M is a good deal. Saad at $6M is worse than Hagelin at $4M.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:58 am

Jim wrote:
KG wrote:Definitely want a haul for Phill. Or we don’t deal him. At the end of the day we are dealing the best player in the deal coming off of a career season.

Do not want Saad.

If we are moving Kessel, I want Panarin. I dont know the logistics of it since its inter-division. But if anyone can figure out a way to make it happens its GMJR.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:05 am

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
ville5 wrote:GM John Chayka says Yohe is full of it.
http://arizonasports.com/category/podca ... g+%26+Wolf

Any summary for those that cant immediately listen.

“I’d like to know more about it, too. I think it’s terrible reporting,” Chayka said. “It’s inaccurate across the board from start to finish. I don’t know where some things come up. I’m the one having trade discussions, those discussions with the Penguins haven’t occurred. Unless someone else is making calls that I don’t know about, I’m not sure where his information’s coming from.”
http://arizonasports.com/story/1567023/ ... -penguins/

I call out these "writers" for simply making stuff up in order to get more clicks. It's nice to see a GM do the same.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 am

mnpensfan wrote:
penny lane wrote:
RMNB
1m1 minute ago

All Sid and Geno have to do is wear their 3 rings to the banner raising. Until the Caps have one more Cup win than the Pens they can't rub noses in anything. Caps fans need to get a life. :roll:
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 am

Caps fans have such an inferiority complex when it comes to the Penguins. It doesn't go away with them winning the Cup. Twitter reaction by Caps fans complaining about the Pens not being their home opener is beyond comical. Viewing it as further proof the league favors the Penguins. :roll:[/quote]

It's great how we catch them the second night on the road on a back to back after playing Boston. (Like we had to do three times last year with Tampa Bay)

I hope they have to do that 30 times next year.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joker10277 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am

Jim wrote:

Do not want Saad.

I think Saad would do well on Malkin wing, he’s younger cheaper and plays a style pens need more of, I’d make that trade yesterday!
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am

joker10277 wrote:
Jim wrote:

Do not want Saad.

I think Saad would do well on Malkin wing, he’s younger cheaper and plays a style pens need more of, I’d make that trade yesterday!

No way on Saad. Want to see someone who is electric with Malkin? Acquire Panarin!
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:14 pm

joker10277 wrote:
Jim wrote:

Do not want Saad.

If you were the Chicago GM, yes.

Kessel is head and shoulders better than Saad. People like to rag on Sheary (even if they only do it because other do) but I would rather have Sheary that Duclair. The #8 overall is quite nice, but does not near make up for the drop from Kessel to Saad. You could probably get Duclair's RFA rights for a 3rd and a 6th.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:17 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
joker10277 wrote:
Jim wrote:

Do not want Saad.

No way on Saad. Want to see someone who is electric with Malkin? Acquire Panarin!

19:23 minutes per game, .36 goals per game. With over 20% more offensive zone starts.
16:59 minutes per game, .28 goals per game.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joker10277 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Jim wrote:
joker10277 wrote:
Jim wrote:

Do not want Saad.

If you were the Chicago GM, yes.

Kessel is head and shoulders better than Saad. People like to rag on Sheary (even if they only do it because other do) but I would rather have Sheary that Duclair. The #8 overall is quite nice, but does not near make up for the drop from Kessel to Saad. You could probably get Duclair's RFA rights for a 3rd and a 6th.

Agree to disagree I guess, Kunitz and Malone did well with Malkin, think Saad would do the same
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Elliotte Friedman
‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC
25m25 minutes ago
No one is expecting Lou Lamoriello to confirm anything...but word here in DAL is a five-year deal for Trotz at least $4M per year

This is akin to Hossa to DET! 8-) At least Hossa went to a then, difference conference.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkintent on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Count me in on bringing back Despres. We need a bottom pairing LD. Jettison Hunwick and make it happen!
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins