2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:08 pm

For those that don't like Skinner, I think the price for him could end up being prohibitive. There are multiple teams involved, and many of these teams are apparently wanting to see what happens with Tavares first. Skinner, right now, appears to be the hot commodity on the market that teams will fight over next. Penguins won't have the assets to get in a bidding war. I think their only hope with Skinner is if he tells Carolina that Pittsburgh is his preferred destination. He doesn't have an NTC, he has a full No Move Clause.

I'm anxious to see what Rutherford is going to pull off, and will be quite concerned if, come say July 5th, we still have the same team with no trades made.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:16 pm

FLPensFan wrote:For those that don't like Skinner, I think the price for him could end up being prohibitive. There are multiple teams involved, and many of these teams are apparently wanting to see what happens with Tavares first. Skinner, right now, appears to be the hot commodity on the market that teams will fight over next. Penguins won't have the assets to get in a bidding war. I think their only hope with Skinner is if he tells Carolina that Pittsburgh is his preferred destination. He doesn't have an NTC, he has a full No Move Clause.

I'm anxious to see what Rutherford is going to pull off, and will be quite concerned if, come say July 5th, we still have the same team with no trades made.

Same. Rutherford can say all he wants that last season that there was no issues with waiting on a 3C, but coming off two cup wins they needed to roll 4 lines and couldn't.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:57 pm

Rumors are the Kings might not qualify Tobias Rieder who made $2.25 million. He'll be a free agent if not qualified. Any interest if Pens can get him for $2 million or under?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:02 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:For those that don't like Skinner, I think the price for him could end up being prohibitive. There are multiple teams involved, and many of these teams are apparently wanting to see what happens with Tavares first. Skinner, right now, appears to be the hot commodity on the market that teams will fight over next. Penguins won't have the assets to get in a bidding war. I think their only hope with Skinner is if he tells Carolina that Pittsburgh is his preferred destination. He doesn't have an NTC, he has a full No Move Clause.

Same. Rutherford can say all he wants that last season that there was no issues with waiting on a 3C, but coming off two cup wins they needed to roll 4 lines and couldn't.

I feel like you are reading my mind. This is how I feel exactly. It was a huge mistake to not address that need last summer. Putting the extra work on Sid and Geno early in the season was dumb after what they had went through the past two years.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:04 pm

ville5 wrote:Rumors are the Kings might not qualify Tobias Rieder who made $2.25 million. He'll be a free agent if not qualified. Any interest if Pens can get him for $2 million or under?

I'd say pass. I don't think he brings anything different than what we already have here. He isn't a top 6 guy, so, you'd have to ask, would you rather have Rieder, Hagelin, or ZAR in the lineup? I think what the Penguins have now is better than Rieder.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:08 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I feel like you are reading my mind. This is how I feel exactly. It was a huge mistake to not address that need last summer. Putting the extra work on Sid and Geno early in the season was dumb after what they had went through the past two years.

Rutherford needs to have a Plan A, B & C ready to go in terms of opening cap space, adding a forward(s), and adding defense. Last year, his loyalty to Cullen screwed him royally, as he was sure Cullen would return and gave him over a month to decide. He can't let that happen again. Nor can he do nothing, after clearly and repeatedly saying there are areas he needs to address this offseason.

If they are interested in Skinner, fine. Ask to make your pitch and see if he is interested in Pittsburgh. Talk to Grabner and JVR in the UFA talking period. Find possible takers for Sheary, Hunwick, and possibly Rust.

But be ready to move on to the next one quickly.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:11 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Rutherford needs to have a Plan A, B & C ready to go in terms of opening cap space, adding a forward(s), and adding defense. Last year, his loyalty to Cullen screwed him royally, as he was sure Cullen would return and gave him over a month to decide. He can't let that happen again. Nor can he do nothing, after clearly and repeatedly saying there are areas he needs to address this offseason.

If they are interested in Skinner, fine. Ask to make your pitch and see if he is interested in Pittsburgh. Talk to Grabner and JVR in the UFA talking period. Find possible takers for Sheary, Hunwick, and possibly Rust.

But be ready to move on to the next one quickly.

Speaking of Cullen. Has he retired or is he planning on playing another season?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:17 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
ville5 wrote:Carlson's agent Rick Curran says there's no deal in place. And as permitted, he is getting/taking calls from other teams.
Screw the Caps. :evil: C'mon someone, price the Caps out....

They will just spend their cap money elsewhere.... which may be worse for us. Imagine if they bring in more scoring instead of spending it on the D. I would rather they blow it on Carlson.

im hoping they end up having to way overpay for him, see if he can get them to overpay by a million per year or so.

8yrs 8M per for him is nuts. I'll be happy when that is signed.

Carlson making 2 million a year less than OV. Does this make trading Letang easier?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:21 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
ville5 wrote:Carlson's agent Rick Curran says there's no deal in place. And as permitted, he is getting/taking calls from other teams.
Screw the Caps. :evil: C'mon someone, price the Caps out....

They will just spend their cap money elsewhere.... which may be worse for us. Imagine if they bring in more scoring instead of spending it on the D. I would rather they blow it on Carlson.

im hoping they end up having to way overpay for him, see if he can get them to overpay by a million per year or so.

8yrs 8M per for him is nuts. I'll be happy when that is signed.

Carlson making 2 million a year less than OV. Does this make trading Letang easier?

Not sure about Letang, but the Pens having Sid and Geno locked up and the cap going up makes it easier for the Pens to fill a formidable roster, at least for the next few years. Carlson is a really good player but Carlson at 8 million or Crosby at 8.7, so much value for the Pens right now.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby drewcpappas on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:25 pm

DelPen wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:You have to think Tom Wilson will cost them 3-3.5M as well.

Wilson should get more in this market. Closer to $4m

I think Wilson is worth more than that. Much more. (Here's hoping the Craps are dumb enough to listen and overpay for the thug)
drewcpappas

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:44 pm

ville5 wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
KG wrote:hockeybuzz Ryan Wilson blog says Pens are interested in Kunitz reunion....

For the right price, I'd have no problem with it as long as Sullivan isn't going to be tempted to play him in the top 6 regularly. He can play 4th LW and be that PK'r that so many people worry about having. He's also physical which many are looking for more of.

Yes, I agree. I have no problem with Kun as the 12/13th forward splitting time with an Archibald or other young WBS guy. Especially if it bumps Rowney.

They traded Archibald during the season.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Teddy Blueger should be the next up this season.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 100565 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:38 pm

I believe Rutherford has tried making some big moves - last off-season, during last season, and this off-season. Nothing has worked out, which is good that he did not overpay like Sens. I think this team needs some new, younger blood; however, the Pens are not in a position to overpay. If the price is too high, then it is best to patiently wait for a good deal.

I think it is more concerning that he was not able to bring defensive depth at last trade deadline. It was needed, but did not happen. I am not referring to top4D, but depth players. If other teams raised their prices too much at the deadline, I hope GMJR learned his lesson and gets depth now either via free agency or trade.

The right big trade will happen when all the chips align properly, but there are no excuses for lacking depth.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:41 pm

drewcpappas wrote:
DelPen wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:You have to think Tom Wilson will cost them 3-3.5M as well.

Wilson should get more in this market. Closer to $4m

I think Wilson is worth more than that. Much more. (Here's hoping the Craps are dumb enough to listen and overpay for the thug)

They didn't listen to me saying to overpay Carlson by a million( I expected him to get right around 8 so was hoping they would get suckered into like 8.5) but hopefully they do listen to you and give Wilson over 4million for a goon, better inflate the original salary even more in case he is suspended for about 8 or 9 games during the season and lowers his cap hit slightly(is that how it works? since they don't get paid while suspended)
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cim2217 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:59 pm

I heard Calvert from Columbus is a possibility to help solidify our bottom 6. Anyone have a scouting report on him?
Cim2217
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:19 am

Cim2217 wrote:I heard Calvert from Columbus is a possibility to help solidify our bottom 6. Anyone have a scouting report on him?

On the smaller side, 13 goals, 24 points are his career highs in a season. He kills penalties. As a Kuhnhackl replacement, sure, but I don't think he's better than what I see right now as our bottom 6 which is Hagelin-Brassard-Sprong, ZAR-Sheahan-Rust.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Cim2217 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:30 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Cim2217 wrote:I heard Calvert from Columbus is a possibility to help solidify our bottom 6. Anyone have a scouting report on him?

On the smaller side, 13 goals, 24 points are his career highs in a season. He kills penalties. As a Kuhnhackl replacement, sure, but I don't think he's better than what I see right now as our bottom 6 which is Hagelin-Brassard-Sprong, ZAR-Sheahan-Rust.

Thank you! I remember reading something a while back that he is a high energy, chippy kinda player. Remembered thinking he would be someone I wouldn't mind them getting after reading the article.
Cim2217
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:58 am

FLPensFan wrote:

all I remember when anyone says his name is the cheap cross check on kuhnackl near the end of a game in the playoffs last year.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby flame on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 am

Lol that everyone thinks Wilson is just a goon. I really hate the guy but he’s a damn good hockey player. He’s gonna get a good contract and he deserves it. Hopefully they overpay him somewhat.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Wyopen on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:27 am

Prior to the start of the season, how much can a team be over the spending cap? 10%?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:17 am

Reading today, Tavares 5 teams are: Toronto, Sharks, Stars, Knights... kings may or may not still be there after signing Ilya K. :o Always thankful Evgeni & Sid... and Mario never part of an NHL tour. For the Metro, hope Tavares stays with the Isles. He presents a challenge to the pens and is entertaining to watch in the regular
season.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:17 am

So OEL resigns, Carlson resigns, and no word on Karlsson. Wonder if teams now reach out to GMJR to see what the price is on Letang?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:34 am

penny lane wrote:Reading today, Tavares 5 teams are: Toronto, Sharks, Stars, Knights... kings may or may not still be there after signing Ilya K. :o Always thankful Evgeni & Sid... and Mario never part of an NHL tour. For the Metro, hope Tavares stays with the Isles. He presents a challenge to the pens and is entertaining to watch in the regular
season.

Arthur Staple said rumor is the Bruins are the 5th team. I agree. Hope he stays with the Isles.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:19 am

Going to swing directions and take a look at some possible defensive targets. All advanced stats numbers posted are for Even Strength (CF% = Corsi For, SF% = Shots For, GF% = Goals For, SCF% = Scoring Chances For, SV% = Save percentage of goalie with this defenseman on ice). Numbers above 50% are better.

Player1: 27 years old, LH LD, made 1.8M last year. 81gp, 7g, 11a; CF% 48.89, SF% 49.52, GF% 48.70, SCF% 46.87, SV% 91.99; (Adv. stats middle of pack for D on his team) likely looking for 2.25-3M range as UFA
Player2: 30 years old, RH RD, made 1M last year. 23gp, 1g, 6a; CF% 58.44, SF% 59.38, GF% 52.63, SCF% 54.61, SV% 93.71; (Adv. stats near top of D on team) likely looking for 1-2M range as UFA
Player3: 27 years old, RH RD, made 1.95M last year. 44gp, 2g, 5a; CF% 51.11, SF% 48.01, GF% 44.68, SCF% 51.15, SV% 91.13; (Adv. stats near bottom of D on team); likely looking for 1.5-2.5M
Player4: 29 years old, LH LD, made 2.2M last year. 69gp, 5g, 20a; CF% 47.66, SF% 47.09; GF% 60.23, SCF% 45.72, SV% 94.35; (Adv stats mix between top and bottom of team); likely looking for 3M or more
Player5: 30 years old, LH RD, made 612K last year. 18gp, 0g, 3a; CF% 46.35, SF% 44.44; GF% 37.5, SCF% 44.72, SV% 92.00; (Adv stats worst on team d-men except SV%); likely looking for min contract

Just looking purely at the numbers above, and what these guys may be looking for, who might you want. Spoiler below tells who each player is.

Spoiler:
These 5 defenseman are from an article Dan Kingerski wrote about possible Penguins targets. Player1 is John Moore, 2 is Cody Franson, 3 is Andrej Sustr, 4 is Thomas Hickey, and 5 is Matt Bartkowski
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:21 am

flame wrote:Lol that everyone thinks Wilson is just a goon. I really hate the guy but he’s a damn good hockey player. He’s gonna get a good contract and he deserves it. Hopefully they overpay him somewhat.

I think he's just a bigger version of Matt Cooke, cheap and cowardly. He'll fight more than Cooke, but the people he fights aren't exactly heavyweights.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins