Do not get NHL.TV this season

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do not get NHL.TV this season

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:19 pm

The Penguins will be broadcast 15 times on NBC this season. Add to this the games NHL Network will pick up and you have at least 1/4 of the season unwatchable on a service you paid for.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Do not get NHL.TV this season

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Yeah, but I want to watch the other 3/4 of the games.

My biggest problem with it is having to listen to the anti-Penguin trash from Edzo and Milbury.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:04 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:The Penguins will be broadcast 15 times on NBC this season. Add to this the games NHL Network will pick up and you have at least 1/4 of the season unwatchable on a service you paid for.

My big issue is DirecTV bumped NHL Network up to one of its higher tier packages. I've had Center Ice for almost 20 years with DirecTV and NHL Network since DirecTV started carrying it. I'm not gonna start paying $20 extra a month just for NHL Network.

As a longtime DirecTV customer, I will likely call and complain, and hopefully be given the channel or upgrade for free. Hopefully......
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:24 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:The Penguins will be broadcast 15 times on NBC this season. Add to this the games NHL Network will pick up and you have at least 1/4 of the season unwatchable on a service you paid for.

My big issue is DirecTV bumped NHL Network up to one of its higher tier packages. I've had Center Ice for almost 20 years with DirecTV and NHL Network since DirecTV started carrying it. I'm not gonna start paying $20 extra a month just for NHL Network.

As a longtime DirecTV customer, I will likely call and complain, and hopefully be given the channel or upgrade for free. Hopefully......

I used to do that regularly before ATT bought them. After 17 years with DTv, they billed me 2 installments of Center Ice after I called them explicitly to cancel it. I called them after catching the error and they refused to credit me. I cancelled on the spot and have never looked back.

Sling + NHL.TV + OTA are plenty for me and I save a ton overall. DTv did me a favor. 3/4 games at that price works for me.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:56 am

Can you get NHL Center Ice with DirectTv Now?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:12 pm

I watch the NHL Network on draft day and trade deadline day. Other than those two times I have little use for that channel.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Jim wrote:I watch the NHL Network on draft day and trade deadline day. Other than those two times I have little use for that channel.

Add in the fact that, outside of Pittsburgh, the NHL Network likes to "simulcast" a good 10 or more Penguins which Center Ice then blacks out the games. But yes, other than that, the NHL Network isn't really very good in creating quality programming. I'll watch World Championships or World Juniors when they are on as well.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stonewizard51 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:32 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:Yeah, but I want to watch the other 3/4 of the games.

My biggest problem with it is having to listen to the anti-Penguin trash from Edzo and Milbury.

That's when I mute the TV and listen to the radio. I sometimes do that even when it's not on NBCSN just so I don't have to listen to the "Dynamic Duo" of Mears/Errey. Errey I can put up with but Mears is another thing altogether. I never thought I'd ever say this but sometimes I miss Steigy.

Lange/Bourque is way better than Mears/Errey. Then again Lange only does a limited number of games so Getzoff isn't a lot better than Mears to listen to.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:42 am

stonewizard51 wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:Yeah, but I want to watch the other 3/4 of the games.

That's when I mute the TV and listen to the radio. I sometimes do that even when it's not on NBCSN just so I don't have to listen to the "Dynamic Duo" of Mears/Errey. Errey I can put up with but Mears is another thing altogether. I never thought I'd ever say this but sometimes I miss Steigy.

Lange/Bourque is way better than Mears/Errey. Then again Lange only does a limited number of games so Getzoff isn't a lot better than Mears to listen to.

Unfortunately, I live in the Philly suburbs. My only chance of getting Pittsburgh announcers are Mears/Errey for home games on Center Ice (and the occasional game where Center Ice gives both feeds). Love Errey. Mears is just meh. Having to listen to the announcers from other teams so often, he's better than a lot of them.

As an aside, my wife and I came back to Pittsburgh last year to watch a family friend perform and stayed at the Westin William Penn hotel. We were all excited that we'd get to watch the Pens on a local broadcast, until we found out the WWP doesn't have Root Sports in its station mix on their TVs. Probably for the best, though. It was the game they got crushed in Minnesota.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby blurryhaze312 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:15 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Can you get NHL Center Ice with DirectTv Now?

No. NHL.tv as a separate purchase only.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:01 am

Actually I always get Center Ice. And while some of the games are on other outlets (NBCSN & NHL network) which carry about 1/4 of the Pens games and are part of my "Sports Package" (about $10/month) with my cable provider, leaving 60 or so games to Center Ice. So what I pay for Center Ice works out to about $2.50 to $3.00 per game to watch the Pens (and if I choose, any other games available). And sometimes I have to listen to the opponents feed, but mostly only when there are many games on any particular night. So I consider the small price per game to see the Pens on Center Ice a bargain. Don't have $2.50 to $3.00 per game to see your favorite team? C'mon guys and gals. :roll:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins