Training camp (finally!)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Training camp (finally!)

Postby penny lane on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 pm

How are the Finnish D pair playing?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:24 pm

Crosby is not showing up to report for the Penguins because he is unhappy with being one of the highest paid player in the league for only one season. He demands to be paid the combined salary of the best offensive player and top 4 defensemen.
Malkin yells at assistant coach mid-game for not playing him with his favorite teammates.
Kessel is a no show for practice after embarrassing loss. No one knows where he is or why he is not with the team. His social media account has him finely dressed in NY.
Jake smashed a Gatorade container mid-game because of his lack of power play time.

None of the above players will be suspended. However, coach Sullivan is very very upset with his 2nd PK unit and are actively searching for a trade in order to repair the 2nd PK unit.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:45 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:None of the above players will be suspended. However, coach Sullivan is very very upset with his 2nd PK unit and are actively searching for a trade in order to repair the 2nd PK unit.

What a cluster the Steelers have become, it's almost laughable to be honest with you.

Didn't coach Sullivan say that he talked to his daughter about social media after Malkin threatened a reporter and acted like a prima donna?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Didn't coach Sullivan say that he talked to his daughter about social media after Malkin threatened a reporter and acted like a prima donna?

Yes. Also Kessel on social media responded to a fan who was critical of his game the other night that he was too busy laid up in bed with the fan's wife.

There was also the incident where Letang via social media told a fan that maybe he should be traded in order to prove he would be just as good or better on a different team.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Refs in this Wings game are horrible.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:59 pm

Jarry looked very good tonight. Deserved a better outcome.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:22 am

SteelCityFan wrote:Jarry looked very good tonight. Deserved a better outcome.

The Jokinen goal was his fault, that rebound can’t happen even in pre season.

It’s funny though, a goalie can stand on his head 99% of the game but letting up a couple bad goals ruins all of that effort.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:02 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:

Yes. Also Kessel on social media responded to a fan who was critical of his game the other night that he was too busy laid up in bed with the fan's wife.

There was also the incident where Letang via social media told a fan that maybe he should be traded in order to prove he would be just as good or better on a different team.

Social media is an extension of actions and words. People are always watching somewhere- if you do hinky stuff it will surface. Dan Quinn and Mario found themselves in a comprising situation and it came out despite there not being a world wide web. Humans being human luckily have that trait to forgive, forget, and move on.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:41 am

DelPen wrote:
SteelCityFan wrote:Jarry looked very good tonight. Deserved a better outcome.

The Jokinen goal was his fault, that rebound can’t happen even in pre season.

It’s funny though, a goalie can stand on his head 99% of the game but letting up a couple bad goals ruins all of that effort.

Yeah, that second goal was a bad rebound. I don’t blame him on the first goal, kind of a seeing eye floater through a bunch of traffic.

It was nice to see him make some of those 10 bell saves tho. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come!
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:03 am

Got to catch some of the game last night. Riikola is a silky skater and does not look out of place at all right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he does make the top 7 on this team. JJ looked pretty good at both ends of the ice and let off a few bombs in the third period. Sprong was so-so. I thought Adam Johnson, Haggarty and Lafferty were noticeable in a good way. Jarry looked really good for the most part. The second goal though was completely on him. That was an awful rebound to give up.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:34 am

The Sprong eye-test is pretty much 0-2 this preseason so far.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:44 am

Pensburgh was ripping JJ for his play last night, but he looked good?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am

Jim wrote:The Sprong eye-test is pretty much 0-2 this preseason so far.

Oh no.. The end times are here!

Trade Sprong for a bag of pucks, quick!
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Pensburgh was ripping JJ for his play last night, but he looked good?

For the first game out of the preseason, with a whole new team, I didn't see anything glaring so yes I thought he looked pretty good. I'm looking at him with an open mind, not trying to jump to anything based on the past.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:49 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:

According to DK here (pay site) http://www.dkpittsburghsports.com, it sounds like the coaches aren't really happy with his performance so far:

“You know … he hasn’t really stood out like we would hope right now,” Mark Recchi began a reply to a question about Sprong following the 3-2 overtime loss to the Red Wings on Wednesday night at Little Caesars Arena. “But you know, we’ve got to keep working with him, keep getting him games, keep getting him comfortable here.”

After a slight pause, Recchi added, “He’s a good young player. We expect more. And we expect that we’ll get that ‘more.’ He’ll have lots of opportunity in the next four games.”
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:01 pm

One thing I like is that these two games show that the Pens aren't totally devoid of depth. They have yet to play any of their top 3 centers. They haven't played their starting goalie. They haven't played either Kessel or Letang, and Schultz and Johnson have only played in one game, and yet they've been competitive with two (albeit lesser) teams playing basically their regular lineup. As long as we don't have a full-scale injury fest, we should be able to withstand a couple of injuries through the season.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:

A dar dar dar dar?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Jim wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

A dar dar dar dar?

What he said.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:49 pm

LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:32 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:One thing I like is that these two games show that the Pens aren't totally devoid of depth. They have yet to play any of their top 3 centers. They haven't played their starting goalie. They haven't played either Kessel or Letang, and Schultz and Johnson have only played in one game, and yet they've been competitive with two (albeit lesser) teams playing basically their regular lineup. As long as we don't have a full-scale injury fest, we should be able to withstand a couple of injuries through the season.

I'm the exact opposite. The Penguins haven't dressed Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan, or Cullen in their first two games. They've relied on Bellerive (who clearly isn't 100%), Blueger, Dea, Grant, Lafferty, Johnson, etc at center. No wonder the games have been rather devoid of offense. The Penguins are dressing 6th, 7th, and 10th level centers and asking guys to produce. I just haven't seen anyone mesh on offense. I'd rather see them dress an entire possible NHL line combination.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:45 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:One thing I like is that these two games show that the Pens aren't totally devoid of depth. They have yet to play any of their top 3 centers. They haven't played their starting goalie. They haven't played either Kessel or Letang, and Schultz and Johnson have only played in one game, and yet they've been competitive with two (albeit lesser) teams playing basically their regular lineup. As long as we don't have a full-scale injury fest, we should be able to withstand a couple of injuries through the season.

I'm the exact opposite. The Penguins haven't dressed Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan, or Cullen in their first two games. They've relied on Bellerive (who clearly isn't 100%), Blueger, Dea, Grant, Lafferty, Johnson, etc at center. No wonder the games have been rather devoid of offense. The Penguins are dressing 6th, 7th, and 10th level centers and asking guys to produce. I just haven't seen anyone mesh on offense. I'd rather see them dress an entire possible NHL line combination.

I have the feeling these two games were used to get the legs going in game action and just see where the kids are (like using Mason Rudolph vs Green Bays number one defense). Now they made some cuts and will tighten things up a bit.

The Red Wing announcers commented about 4 game max for vets, which is another reason for the hodgepodge lineups.

A bit worried about Sprong, but he'll get 4 games with Crosby over the preseason and that'll show us where he really is. I think he'll be fine.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:48 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

You will. When the games are in Pittsburgh. Mickey Redmond did the color for Detroit, and mentioned it's common to stack your line up for the home fans, and take a look at others on the road. He also mentioned something in the CBA where veterans can't play more than 4 preseason games? The first I heard that. I suspect you'll have a very representative line up for the home games.

As far as the depth, I think it's the deepest roster they've ever gone to camp with. The apparent emergence of Riikola makes me feel better about the D, and they are very deep up front. They've even got 3 goalies with NHL experience. It's the reason I'm excited about the team.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:03 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

What I like is that they were still competitive. Sure, scoring wasn't high, but neither was scoring against.

By the way, if you read the link I made, Bellerive has been sent back to his WHL team.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:22 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

Yeah, I can go either way on this. I watched the 2nd period and then gave up, because the Pens were pretty much trapped in their own end and couldn't any cohesive breakouts going or controlled possession in the attacking zone. That makes it hard to say whether individual guys like Sprong aren't playing well enough, or if Sprong doesn't look good because he's going up against NHL players with AHL linemates.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:38 pm

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

You will. When the games are in Pittsburgh. Mickey Redmond did the color for Detroit, and mentioned it's common to stack your line up for the home fans, and take a look at others on the road. He also mentioned something in the CBA where veterans can't play more than 4 preseason games? The first I heard that. I suspect you'll have a very representative line up for the home games.

As far as the depth, I think it's the deepest roster they've ever gone to camp with. The apparent emergence of Riikola makes me feel better about the D, and they are very deep up front. They've even got 3 goalies with NHL experience. It's the reason I'm excited about the team.

ive never heard of that 4 game rule either but yeah generally I would expect the veteran players to get less time, especially early and on the road. While later in the preseason the regulars play more, especially for the home games. Early on I would assume teams would want to get a look at young and fringe guys. Although there isn't really much in terms of spots open on this team so that part wouldn't be as large of a factor as it is sometimes.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins