Training camp (finally!)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Training camp (finally!)

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 pm

I did find a CBA rule about pre-season, but nothing about the max games for a vet. The rule points out that it isn't unusual to see the teams sit their stars, especially on the road. The rule was put in place to make sure teams iced a competitive team for the paying customers. It's likely why you see guys like Guentzel and Rust in the first couple of games.

15.4 Exhibition Games.

(c) A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any Exhibition Game. For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either:

(1) a forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season,

(2) a goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more NHL Games in the previous season,

(3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year's Entry Draft, or

(4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games.

i saw Jacques Martin say today that we'll start seeing line combinations and defensive pairings starting in game 3. They gave some of the kids a taste, and the roster will get cut in half for WBS camp, which opens Sunday. You'll start to see a fairly representative lineup for the two home games this weekend.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:55 am

The apparent emergence of Riikola makes me feel better about the D, and they are very deep up front.

This kid rivals Letang for the best skater on the team. Super smooth, but didn't seem to have high end talent else where in his game. Could develop into nice pick up still.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:14 am

From the short sample I saw, I thought Addison looked better and more NHL ready than the other prospective D we put out against Detroit.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:41 am

Camp broken into two groups after players cut from roster. Team 1 NHL team, Team 2, not NHL team. One might notice that as of right now, Derek Grant is on Team 2.

https://twitter.com/PenguinsPR/status/1043137490452996096/photo/1
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:50 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:From the short sample I saw, I thought Addison looked better and more NHL ready than the other prospective D we put out against Detroit.

Skills are there but he needs to add some lbs...Otherwise he's gonna spend some time on IR
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:53 am

FLPensFan wrote:Camp broken into two groups after players cut from roster. Team 1 NHL team, Team 2, not NHL team. One might notice that as of right now, Derek Grant is on Team 2.

https://twitter.com/PenguinsPR/status/1043137490452996096/photo/1

Also interesting that Riikola is on team 1.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 am

8 D, 13 F... I don't see them going with that into the season. Maybe they just expect that Riikola is closer to bumping Ruhwedel than any of the other forwards are to bumping Cullen or Simon.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Penguins have put Frederik Tiffels on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract:

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/09/21/penguins-place-frederik-tiffels-on-unconditional-waivers/
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:52 pm

Pretty much as expected.

Very hard to point at anyone on either team and say they belong on the other.

Jarry? Nope, waivers exempt, where DeSmith isn't. Jarry gets more games than were he's Murray's backup.
Hayes and Grant apparently haven't impressed.
Blueger might be around the far edges, but he's got that waivers exemption. Plus it's hard to say he'd be an upgrade over our fourth liners (compare that to last season...)

Think they'll float 13F 7D in the early season this time. And as much as I keep hearing about Riiikooooolaaaaaaa, he's got a waivers exemption which will see him in Wilkes.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:Pretty much as expected.

Jarry? Nope, waivers exempt, where DeSmith isn't. Jarry gets more games than were he's Murray's backup.
Blueger might be around the far edges, but he's got that waivers exemption. Plus it's hard to say he'd be an upgrade over our fourth liners (compare that to last season...)

Think they'll float 13F 7D in the early season this time. And as much as I keep hearing about Riiikooooolaaaaaaa, he's got a waivers exemption which will see him in Wilkes.

From what I'm seeing, Riikola on the first team isn't because he's staying up, it's because they want to see how he plays with the big boys for future reference.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:26 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:

From what I'm seeing, Riikola on the first team isn't because he's staying up, it's because they want to see how he plays with the big boys for future reference.

That is correct. They played him back to back games because they wanted to experience playing games on back to back nights. They want to get him in some different situations. If someone like Dumoulin, Johnson, or Maatta went down, the Penguins should recall Riikola to take their place. However, being that Johnson and Oleksiak play both sides, if Dumo gets hurt, they could just slide Maatta up with Letang, move Oleksiak to LD, and put in Ruhwedel on the right side.

Hoping they give Riikola a chance at some games though.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby longtimefan on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:13 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

That is correct. They played him back to back games because they wanted to experience playing games on back to back nights. They want to get him in some different situations. If someone like Dumoulin, Johnson, or Maatta went down, the Penguins should recall Riikola to take their place. However, being that Johnson and Oleksiak play both sides, if Dumo gets hurt, they could just slide Maatta up with Letang, move Oleksiak to LD, and put in Ruhwedel on the right side.

Hoping they give Riikola a chance at some games though.

I believe Riikola has been on the right side. At least against Buffalo, and I believe both games. If you remember, they said he could play either side, but did request that he not get moved back and forth very often. I feel certain you'll see him. He may well pass Ruhwedel on the depth chart, although he'll start at WBS. But I think he'll get a shot if somebody goes down. Then see if he runs with it.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:44 am

FLPensFan wrote:Penguins have put Frederik Tiffels on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract:

https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/09/21/penguins-place-frederik-tiffels-on-unconditional-waivers/

That is odd. I wonder if Tiffels requested thus. Hey out of his contract and head back to Europe. Maybe he sees that there is no chance of him making the NHL, he'd rather play in European cities than WBS or even Wheeling again.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:27 am

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Penguins have put Frederik Tiffels on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract:

That is odd. I wonder if Tiffels requested thus. Hey out of his contract and head back to Europe. Maybe he sees that there is no chance of him making the NHL, he'd rather play in European cities than WBS or even Wheeling again.

I read that he wanted to give the camp a chance, and seeing that he might be on the up/down elevator between Wheeling & WB, he opted to play in Germany with his brother.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Today’s game is on NHL Network live at 3.

Nice
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:07 pm

Also on KBL, er FSP, er, ATT I think.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Riiiiikooolaaaaa

Nice speed and finish. That’s something Ruhwedl could never do. Getting interesting.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:18 pm

Letang looks like he hasn't missed a day since last season.

Unfortunately.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:20 pm

KG wrote:Riiiiikooolaaaaa

Nice speed and finish. That’s something Ruhwedl could never do. Getting interesting.

Riiiiikooolaaaaaaa :fist:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:26 pm

2-0 Cullen with the good goal.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:27 pm

BurghThing wrote:2-0 Cullen with the good goal.

I'm counting that one.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:30 pm

BurghThing wrote:Letang looks like he hasn't missed a day since last season.

Unfortunately.

Lol seriously. His decision making is questionable to say the least lol
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 pm

This just in...Riikola is good.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Riikola is making a serious case for himself for #7D. Made a good effort using the body. Not much else noteworthy going on.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:14 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:Riikola is making a serious case for himself for #7D. Made a good effort using the body. Not much else noteworthy going on.

Not even sure if he's not making a case for better than #7. Honestly, if he's seventh best, I'm guessing they'll send him down and keep Ruhwedel up so he gets more playing time. I'm impressed with this guy (was going to say kid, but he's older than Maatta).
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins