Schultz out 4 months

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Schultz out 4 months

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am

FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Schultz out 4 months

Postby scpensfan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:56 am

Honestly, I think that's about the best-case scenario, as crazy as that sounds. Considering how bad it looked.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:00 am

Endless healing vibes. Best for all, he has time to recover and is fresh for the post-season.
I was thinking a dislocation injury, like former pirate, Kendall.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:24 am

Well now we get to see more Jack Johnson. Buckle up, can’t hide him anymore.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:50 am

Yeah, 'cause that's what they have been doing...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:58 am

From Athletic reporter for Montreal:

Tomas Plekanec said he texted Justin Schultz yesterday to see how he was doing, and he was sorry to hear how bad the injury is. He felt bad about what happened, just some bad luck with how Schultz fell.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:40 pm

FLPensFan wrote:From Athletic reporter for Montreal:

Tomas Plekanec said he texted Justin Schultz yesterday to see how he was doing, and he was sorry to hear how bad the injury is. He felt bad about what happened, just some bad luck with how Schultz fell.

Definitely not a dirty hit. As you said, just bad luck.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:47 pm

FLPensFan wrote:From Athletic reporter for Montreal:

Good on Plekanec for reaching out the Schultz. Injuries happen in sports some freak and some just wrong place/wrong time. It's good to know there a good hearted people in the sport that check in on an opponent.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maestro on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:50 pm

As stated previously I had a similar injury (skate stuck in rut, ankle crack) - the surgery being successful and no lig damage actually is best case scenario - cough drop gets his playing time - Schultz will be ready for playoffs - It really should be framed as a success and not a disaster imo.

Setbacks are the only concern - but with the medical staff and rehab pros available to him I see no reason why the "old" Schultz can't help this team win 3 of 4 beginning in March '19.

So good vibes to you Justin. From what's been said he will be close to the team throughout and hopefully all work together to help him remain upbeat, particularly once the cast is off and his rehab (and pain associated with it) really begins.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Jim wrote:Yeah, 'cause that's what they have been doing...

Meaning that it won’t be possible moving forward. Sorry sunshine.

Maybe they should somehow explore it. Small sample size but JJ has given up the most high danger chances against and is at 46% CF. Granted only two dmen are over 50. Then again with Johnson, the small sample size matches his career history so it’s not really that far off the norm.

Still early though and they can work with him.
Last edited by murphydump55 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Maestro on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I don't want to speak for anyone else, and certainly not for Jim, but I think his point was minutes of 22, 17:40, 21, and 22 is not "hiding" someone.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:03 pm

Maestro wrote:I don't want to speak for anyone else, and certainly not for Jim, but I think his point was minutes of 22, 17:40, 21, and 22 is not "hiding" someone.

They haven’t been hiding him. My point was that it might not be possible moving forward. His high defensive zone start usage might have to change, looking at the numbers.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Maestro on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:06 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Maestro wrote:I don't want to speak for anyone else, and certainly not for Jim, but I think his point was minutes of 22, 17:40, 21, and 22 is not "hiding" someone.

They haven’t been hiding him. My point was that it might not be possible moving forward. His high defensive zone start usage might have to change, looking at the numbers.

True - and he has done absolute nada in the o-zone - but also the pens have not played well as a team yet. Individual performances also depend on the others on the ice as well as the other lines - It's early days, I don't see this team missing playoffs so I'll sit back and enjoy the roller coaster for several months while Toronto scores 11 goals a game...
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dutchpensfan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:23 pm

How much do the pens save towards the cap with the injury?
Dutchpensfan

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Healing vibes to Justin!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:42 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Well now we get to see more Jack Johnson. Buckle up, can’t hide him anymore.

Or even worse, Maatta. Maatta was on the ice for 4 shots for and 25 against. That's mind boggling
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Crap !! In addition to his "D" Schultz was a decent QB for the power play. Now we only have Letang and thiat isn't saying much. :(
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 pm

As much as this hurts, the silver lining is that it can’t get worse.(barring other injuries) The blue line as a whole can’t continue to play this poorly. They have to get better.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Dutchpensfan wrote:How much do the pens save towards the cap with the injury?

Believe it or not, nothing.

He was placed on regular IR, not long-term IR. With regular IR, you get no cap relief.

Taylor Haase on DK's site has an explanation of why that was done, and it actually makes sense. It has to do with accruing space under the cap as the year goes on so that they have cap space at the trade deadline.

For anyone that's a member at DKPittsburghSports, the URL is here: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018/10/15/penguins-schultz-ltir-cap-relief/
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:22 am

murphydump55 wrote:

Maybe they should somehow explore it. Small sample size but JJ has given up the most high danger chances against and is at 46% CF. Granted only two dmen are over 50. Then again with Johnson, the small sample size matches his career history so it’s not really that far off the norm.

So they weren't hiding him to begin with. Gotcha!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Owchar76 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:16 am

Jim wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

So they weren't hiding him to begin with. Gotcha!

Weren't, but probably should, but can't now, I think is what he was saying. Those numbers aren't good by any means but it is but a blip on the radar of a full season. The scary part is that this is what you get with him, a not so good defenseman, so there's not really reason to expect much more. We can only hope the Pens pull off another reclamation project.
We're only a handful of games into the season and Johnson did have one pretty good game, but the rest haven't been so good.......but the starting 6 haven't been good for many. Here's hoping.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:25 am

JJ from the eye test looks a step below Ruhwedel. I'd like to get Chad in there for a couple games as he plays that side better anyway. It was a bad move with a player who isn't going to improve. Riikola needs ice time to develop and Maatta for all of the ripping still has a better outlet pass and PK ability.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:45 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:

He was placed on regular IR, not long-term IR. With regular IR, you get no cap relief.

Taylor Haase on DK's site has an explanation of why that was done, and it actually makes sense. It has to do with accruing space under the cap as the year goes on so that they have cap space at the trade deadline.

For anyone that's a member at DKPittsburghSports, the URL is here: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018/10/15/penguins-schultz-ltir-cap-relief/

I like Taylor, especially her work with Penguins prospects, but, that was a pretty poor explanation IMO. I understand the concept pretty well, and was confused by her explanation. About 3 paragraphs too many. The last two sentences of were the most important. Here's a different explanation for those that don't have the DK subscription (and if you do and thought Taylor's explanation was fine, tell me that too):

- The salary cap is actually figured out on a daily basis.

- Any cap space left between the upper cap limit (79.5M this year) and your team's actual salary in AAV for the year is banked, available space.

- For simplicity, if the Penguins current cap hit was 79M, they would have 500K in cap space. There are 186 days in the NHL season, so divide 500K by 186, and that is how much extra cap space you bank per day, in this example $2,688 and some change.

- When a player goes on injured reserve, their cap hit still counts against the team.

- When a player goes on LTIR, their cap hit still counts, but you get cap relief relative to that players salary and the days remaining in the season. The team would get a portion of Schultz salary available to use on another player, based on the number of days left in the season. Schultz cap hit is 5.5M, and today is day 14 of the season. In 186 day season, Schultz 5.5M contract breaks down to $29,569 and change per day (5.5M divided by 186). Since 14 days have already passed, we need to see how much of Schultz 5.5M contract is actually remaining. 186-14 is 172. Take his salary per day, $29,569, times number of days left in the season, 172. That comes out to 5.086M in LTIR space.

- The big issue here is, when you exceed the cap due to LTIR cap relief, you are no longer banking cap space. This is why it is in the Penguins best interest to keep him on regular IR as long as they can. If another injury occurs where a player needs to be recalled, at that point, the Penguins will likely need to put Schultz on LTIR. But for an extra day, extra week, or an extra month, that is extra days of banking extra cap space for later in the season.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 am

FLPensFan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

I like Taylor, especially her work with Penguins prospects, but, that was a pretty poor explanation IMO. I understand the concept pretty well, and was confused by her explanation. About 3 paragraphs too many. The last two sentences of were the most important. Here's a different explanation for those that don't have the DK subscription (and if you do and thought Taylor's explanation was fine, tell me that too):

- Any cap space left between the upper cap limit (79.5M this year) and your team's actual salary in AAV for the year is banked, available space.

- For simplicity, if the Penguins current cap hit was 79M, they would have 500K in cap space. There are 186 days in the NHL season, so divide 500K by 186, and that is how much extra cap space you bank per day, in this example $2,688 and some change.

- When a player goes on injured reserve, their cap hit still counts against the team.

- When a player goes on LTIR, their cap hit still counts, but you get cap relief relative to that players salary and the days remaining in the season. The team would get a portion of Schultz salary available to use on another player, based on the number of days left in the season. Schultz cap hit is 5.5M, and today is day 14 of the season. In 186 day season, Schultz 5.5M contract breaks down to $29,569 and change per day (5.5M divided by 186). Since 14 days have already passed, we need to see how much of Schultz 5.5M contract is actually remaining. 186-14 is 172. Take his salary per day, $29,569, times number of days left in the season, 172. That comes out to 5.086M in LTIR space.

- The big issue here is, when you exceed the cap due to LTIR cap relief, you are no longer banking cap space. This is why it is in the Penguins best interest to keep him on regular IR as long as they can. If another injury occurs where a player needs to be recalled, at that point, the Penguins will likely need to put Schultz on LTIR. But for an extra day, extra week, or an extra month, that is extra days of banking extra cap space for later in the season.

That's pretty much what I got out of it. I think her biggest problem there was quoting the rulebook. That was really tough to read. Sounded like it took a lawyer a week to write it up.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:24 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

That's pretty much what I got out of it. I think her biggest problem there was quoting the rulebook. That was really tough to read. Sounded like it took a lawyer a week to write it up.

She was probably quoting the CBA, which was written by a bunch of lawyers and often does take a secret decoder ring to truly figure out.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins