Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Favorite Part of Hockey?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Favorite Part of Hockey?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Goals
78%
Fights
No votes
Goaltending
No votes
Watching no name linesman toss out centers
22%

Total votes : 18

Favorite Part of Hockey?

Postby BurghThing on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:26 pm

What's rhe one thing you love most about watching hockey?
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Favorite Part of Hockey?

Postby Jim on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Action
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:46 pm

Favorite part of hockey is winning !

Team needs a hot streak ASAP
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:07 am

Constant action. Unlike many other sports (football, baseball, basketball) where most of the time is spent waiting for something to happen, in hockey something is almost always happening.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crashguy66 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:55 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:Constant action. Unlike many other sports (football, baseball, basketball) where most of the time is spent waiting for something to happen, in hockey something is almost always happening.

This! Hands down! The average 60 minute football game contains approximately 15 minutes of actual play. Also the NHL playoffs are totally unique. The grind is unparalleled.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:19 pm

Ice Crew
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:Ice Crew

But only before the muffin top yinzer girls got all angry about flat tummies showing forcing new long tops on the female crew.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:Constant action. Unlike many other sports (football, baseball, basketball) where most of the time is spent waiting for something to happen, in hockey something is almost always happening.

This! Hands down! The average 60 minute football game contains approximately 15 minutes of actual play. Also the NHL playoffs are totally unique. The grind is unparalleled.

Seconded...ummm...thirded!
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:07 am

Jim wrote:

But only before the muffin top yinzer girls got all angry about flat tummies showing forcing new long tops on the female crew.

I think there was more of a national movement to stop sexualizing young women in everything that they do than a local Pittsburgh muffin top coalition.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Okay, I know that I am going to be the only person who uses this word to describe what really charges me up about hockey. Instantaneous. You just never know when a goal is going to be scored. For instance, if a player fires off a 30' slap shot the actual chances are minimal it will go into the net untouched. But when it does go in, it only takes about 1 second from the time the stick hits the puck and then hits the back of the net. Example: Kunitz's semifinal game/series winner vs Ottawa a couple of years back. That, for me, sets off a explosion of vocal emotion. Scares the hell out of my wife too.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Great58 wrote:
Jim wrote:

I think there was more of a national movement to stop sexualizing young women in everything that they do than a local Pittsburgh muffin top coalition.

Everywhere in the nation except in Philly. They were going to put them in more reasonable attire, but they got too much feedback.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:17 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Great58 wrote:
Jim wrote:

Everywhere in the nation except in Philly. They were going to put them in more reasonable attire, but they got too much feedback.

Pittsburgh got dudes on the ice crew.. Dudes!!!! No Dudes in the ice crew!!!! Hot women should be in the ice crew. Not Dudes!!!

Just kidding, actually not.

But action. instant action. Just like last night, thought for sure we were going to tank it in the 3rd out of no where 2 soft goals and we won the game. I picked goals for my choice but a goaltending duel is just as good as a shootout. With the new obstruction rules the game got good pace and is exciting. Hope the league doesn't stop tweeking and making it better.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dark_forces on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:20 pm

In short, the culture of hockey. The old time, humble, suck it up, modesty - sort of the Canadian way - and how it's really entwined in the very fiber of the sport itself. You don't find a culture like it in any other major sport. I honestly wish they would eliminate most in-arena music, light displays in lieu of the old organ music.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:40 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Okay, I know that I am going to be the only person who uses this word to describe what really charges me up about hockey. Instantaneous. You just never know when a goal is going to be scored. For instance, if a player fires off a 30' slap shot the actual chances are minimal it will go into the net untouched. But when it does go in, it only takes about 1 second from the time the stick hits the puck and then hits the back of the net. Example: Kunitz's semifinal game/series winner vs Ottawa a couple of years back. That, for me, sets off a explosion of vocal emotion. Scares the hell out of my wife too.

BEPF

I agree, but with a bit of a different take. I like the instantaneous fan reaction when a goal is scored. It amazes me how quickly the fans can leap to their feet when a goal is scored. Watching the replays on TV, I always look behind the net and watch the reaction. At away games, there are always highly visible Pens fans who do the leap. Except maybe in Philly.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:28 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Okay, I know that I am going to be the only person who uses this word to describe what really charges me up about hockey. Instantaneous. You just never know when a goal is going to be scored. For instance, if a player fires off a 30' slap shot the actual chances are minimal it will go into the net untouched. But when it does go in, it only takes about 1 second from the time the stick hits the puck and then hits the back of the net. Example: Kunitz's semifinal game/series winner vs Ottawa a couple of years back. That, for me, sets off a explosion of vocal emotion. Scares the hell out of my wife too.

BEPF

I agree, but with a bit of a different take. I like the instantaneous fan reaction when a goal is scored. It amazes me how quickly the fans can leap to their feet when a goal is scored. Watching the replays on TV, I always look behind the net and watch the reaction. At away games, there are always highly visible Pens fans who do the leap. Except maybe in Philly.

Funny you should mention Philly. When Guentzel scored his 4th goal there in the playoffs game last year, his momentum carried him to the boards/glass, behind which were bunches of Cryers fans. Man those guys were p'oed @ Guentzel, banging on the glass and I'm sure sending some expletives his way. Cracked my up. :fist: And that was the game when Guentzel was miked up, which made it that much better. :fist:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Humperdink wrote:

BEPF

There's usually a strong contingent of Pens fans at a Pens/Flyers game in Philly. I remember after one particularly satisfying butt-kicking that I went to out here people just strolling around the concourse giving high-fives after most of the Flyers fans had scattered.

Of course, it is a bit dangerous. My daughter had a friend that wore a Pens jersey to a game here and said one of the Flyers fans tried to run her over in the parking lot.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Beer
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins