Ideal Line Up for Playoffs

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ideal Line Up for Playoffs

Postby Mythodikal on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 pm

Hey everybody, we're getting pretty close to playoffs and there are definitely still some kinks to work out in this roster. Obviously health and depth are huge aspects of going forward. My question to everyone is what your ideal line up would be assuming everyone was healthy?

When putting together my line up I went back and forth between a couple of ideas. The first idea was more of a what has worked, and what has been working recently type of theme. My second idea, and the one I'm going to go with, is my spread things out a bit more to create depth. Some things have been tried, some not so much. So here it is:

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
McCann - Malkin - Rust
Blueger - Bjugstad - Kessel
Aston-Reese - Cullen - Simon

Maata - Letang
Dumoulin - Schultz
Peterson - Gudbranson

Again, not what I think will happen, but I like the potential. I will add the disclaimer that I dislike Cullen as 4C.

Anyway, let's keep it fun peeps, what line up would you like to see?
Mythodikal

Re: Ideal Line Up for Playoffs

Postby pcmforless on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:19 pm

I liked Rust up on the 1st line when he gets back healthy, but McCann has been good too, I'd put one of the two of them up there.
Aston-Reese was doing good on the 2nd line, honestly I'd have a tough time putting the lines together, I'd go with what combos are hot and then mix them up if they go cold. This is a tough exercise this year.
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:00 am

Your JJ bias is showing. I'm guessing you'll see more like this, and I truly like it.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Aston-Reese - Malkin - Kessel
McCann - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Bleuger - Cullen - Simon

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Schultz
Maatta - Gudbranson

You may get Petterson rotating with Olli.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:53 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:Your JJ bias is showing. I'm guessing you'll see more like this, and I truly like it.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Bleuger - Cullen - Simon

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Schultz
Maatta - Gudbranson

I think Pettersson will stay with Gudbranson, in the BUF game, MP had the most TOI of all defenders, I dont think he goes from that, to the bench.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby johnnews on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:37 am

I think the odd man out on D will be Maatta, until someone falters or gets injured.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby 100565 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:40 am

Unless/until the team struggles, it would asinine to change much. Rust in for Blueger as 2LW. ZAR in for Blandisi at 4LW. Letang in for Trotman as 1RD. Maatta healthy scratch as 7D.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Defence21 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:Your JJ bias is showing. I'm guessing you'll see more like this, and I truly like it.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Bleuger - Cullen - Simon

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Schultz
Maatta - Gudbranson

I've got to agree with this lineup. It makes the most sense, as it pulls on the players' strengths, while taking into account the way things have developed in the last few weeks. While Sullivan has regularly united Crosby and Hornqvist in the playoffs, I just don't see that happening this year, given how Rust and McCann have done on that line of late. ZAR fits extremely well with Malkin and Kessel, so when he returns, he plots right in. If he isn't in the lineup, I'd slide McCann and Bleuger up a line each.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mythodikal on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:22 am

Defence21 wrote:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Bleuger - Cullen - Simon

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Schultz
Maatta - Gudbranson

I've got to agree with this lineup. It makes the most sense, as it pulls on the players' strengths, while taking into account the way things have developed in the last few weeks. While Sullivan has regularly united Crosby and Hornqvist in the playoffs, I just don't see that happening this year, given how Rust and McCann have done on that line of late. ZAR fits extremely well with Malkin and Kessel, so when he returns, he plots right in. If he isn't in the lineup, I'd slide McCann and Bleuger up a line each.

Haha, my JJ bias IS definitely showing. Can you really call it bias when there is oodles and oodles of data that proves he is an absolute dumpster fire? My opinion is that any best line up would be one without him in it.

Do I think the line up that I posted is the one that will happen? Absolutely not. The question was what you would like to see, not what you expect to see.

Looking at your line up posted it is pretty close to my original idea (not the one I posted). It was when I decided to try and spread the wealth a little more that things changed. For example: Hornqvist on the 3rd line. He has been complete incapable of contributing when playing with anyone not named Crosby. I'm not saying he deserves to be 1st line RW but he is useless anywhere else.

If you are going to have Horny on the third line then I do like McCann on the LW, at least it gives Bjugstad someone capable of carrying the puck.

Ok, so the defence. .. people are going to get healthy... this is where I went somewhat off the board. First off I want to say that I absolutely know that JJ is going to play. Even though I know that is the case, I disagree whole heartedly. Second, I will say that I have been absolutely surprised by Gudbranson's solid play this far (please no one attribute this to Gonchar, haha).

So... I think Peterson and Gudbranson have been a great third pair in their time together. We know Dumoulin, Letang, and Schultz are playing, and if being honest, then JJ is playing. For arguments sake, let's pretend that Sully actually scratches the human pylon for the guy that hasn't lived up to his hype, but is still serviceable.

Now here's the thing, Olli and Schultz don't have a great track record together (nowhere near as bad as JJ and JS, but still not good). On the other hand, Olli has really good numbers with Letang (who doesn't?) What I don't know is how Schultz and Dumoulin would do together, if it worked, that could be some pretty decent D depth.

When it comes down to it though, JJ will stay with Schultz and they will continue to get buried in their own end.

So yah, that's my continued observation.

Remember, the exercise was what you WANT to see. But if what you expect to see is what you want then all the power to ya.
Mythodikal

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:24 am

Remember when people used to actually watch games? Good times...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Mythodikal wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Bleuger - Cullen - Simon

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Schultz
Maatta - Gudbranson

Haha, my JJ bias IS definitely showing. Can you really call it bias when there is oodles and oodles of data that proves he is an absolute dumpster fire? My opinion is that any best line up would be one without him in it.

Do I think the line up that I posted is the one that will happen? Absolutely not. The question was what you would like to see, not what you expect to see.

Looking at your line up posted it is pretty close to my original idea (not the one I posted). It was when I decided to try and spread the wealth a little more that things changed. For example: Hornqvist on the 3rd line. He has been complete incapable of contributing when playing with anyone not named Crosby. I'm not saying he deserves to be 1st line RW but he is useless anywhere else.

If you are going to have Horny on the third line then I do like McCann on the LW, at least it gives Bjugstad someone capable of carrying the puck.

Ok, so the defence. .. people are going to get healthy... this is where I went somewhat off the board. First off I want to say that I absolutely know that JJ is going to play. Even though I know that is the case, I disagree whole heartedly. Second, I will say that I have been absolutely surprised by Gudbranson's solid play this far (please no one attribute this to Gonchar, haha).

So... I think Peterson and Gudbranson have been a great third pair in their time together. We know Dumoulin, Letang, and Schultz are playing, and if being honest, then JJ is playing. For arguments sake, let's pretend that Sully actually scratches the human pylon for the guy that hasn't lived up to his hype, but is still serviceable.

Now here's the thing, Olli and Schultz don't have a great track record together (nowhere near as bad as JJ and JS, but still not good). On the other hand, Olli has really good numbers with Letang (who doesn't?) What I don't know is how Schultz and Dumoulin would do together, if it worked, that could be some pretty decent D depth.

When it comes down to it though, JJ will stay with Schultz and they will continue to get buried in their own end.

Remember, the exercise was what you WANT to see. But if what you expect to see is what you want then all the power to ya.

And yet, JJ's been one of our best defensemen in recent games - like ever since he started playing on his best side.

I think I stated that I liked the lines I showed, not only that they were the most likely.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:19 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson stick in the lineup over Simon. His physical element can play well in the playoffs, and they probably will want that in the lineup.

Agree that Maatta may be the odd man out of the lineup in the short term, until injury hits again. Pettersson is the most likely D to be taken out for him. I don't see Johnson or Gudbranson leaving the lineup. The way the D is configured right now, I think they really like the overall balance, including the lefty-righty dynamic on each pairing.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 pm

The team's playing well, so I don't see a lot of changes. Like Caufield said last night, these things have a way of working themselves out. Guys will get healthy, and others will get hurt. Sully mentioned the other night that the staff had started to work with pairs, which seems to be in vogue. The 3rd guy will change depending on the situation. Like McCann going from the 3rd to the 1st against Mtl, then going 1st to 3rd against FLA, back to 1st again. I do think they've identified three pairs.

Crosby-Guentzel
Malkin-Kessel
Bjugstad-Hornqvist

The first two are self explanatory, and the 3rd pair is one they really like, and the analytics and eye test both seem to back up. It will be interesting once Rust comes back, and again when ZAR returns. ZAR was staking a claim with Geno and Phil before he got hurt. Rust can be effective almost anywhere. He was great with Sid and Jake, but McCann is more skilled. I worried about Jake switching wings, but that hasn't seemed to be an issue.

But the rotating wings would appear to be Rust, McCann, ZAR, Simon, and Blueger. Cullen will do what he does. Center the 4th line, kill penalties, replace somebody on Sid's line for crucial defensive zone face offs. And Wilson is more likely than not to dress on the 4th line, depending on the opponent. About the only wild card we haven't seen is McCann with Geno and Phil.

On the blue line, I suspect Olli will have to wait for injury or poor play to get back into the lineup. Letang goes back with Dumoulin, JJ and Svhultz stay together, and the Pettersson/Gudbranson unit has become the shutdown pair. They've done well together, and take up a lot of the zone with their reach. Pettersson also adds more offensively than Olli at this point. I'm an Olli fan, but the team seems to be finding an identity, and his game may not be the best fit.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Since they have been playing well I don't know if a lot changes. Ideally I would switch Maatta in for probably Pettersson or maybe Johnson. But I don't think that would happen(even if Maatta comes back 100%, which idk if he will or not). As for the forwards there is a lot of wingers that can be on several different lines. So there is a lot of combinations im equally ok with. RHD and center is the only two that barring injury should not change at all when it comes time for playoffs(I would sit Cullen the last two games of the season to rest him for the playoffs, plus if they sit a couple others for the last game if its not necessary to win)

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
ZAR - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Kessel
Blueger- Cullen - Simon/Wilson

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson/Maatta - Schultz
Pettersson/Maatta - Gudbranson

The ones in bold are the only ones that imo are set. The rest(6 of the wingers and 2 defensive spots) I could see being switched around, especially with Sullivans fondness of line blenders.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mythodikal on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Jim wrote:Remember when people used to actually watch games? Good times...

Hey Jim, good to see/read you again... Nice contribution.
Mythodikal

Postby Mythodikal on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Mythodikal wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Bleuger - Cullen - Simon

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Schultz
Maatta - Gudbranson

And yet, JJ's been one of our best defensemen in recent games - like ever since he started playing on his best side.

I think I stated that I liked the lines I showed, not only that they were the most likely.

Sorry, must have read your comment wrong. Read back through and see its the line up you like. I definitely see where you're coming from for the forward lines.

As to saying that JJ has been one of our better defenders in the last few games... I definitely disagree, just curious of what makes you say so?
Mythodikal

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:30 pm

longtimefan wrote:The team's playing well, so I don't see a lot of changes. Like Caufield said last night, these things have a way of working themselves out. Guys will get healthy, and others will get hurt. Sully mentioned the other night that the staff had started to work with pairs, which seems to be in vogue. The 3rd guy will change depending on the situation. Like McCann going from the 3rd to the 1st against Mtl, then going 1st to 3rd against FLA, back to 1st again. I do think they've identified three pairs.

Crosby-Guentzel
Malkin-Kessel
Bjugstad-Hornqvist

The first two are self explanatory, and the 3rd pair is one they really like, and the analytics and eye test both seem to back up. It will be interesting once Rust comes back, and again when ZAR returns. ZAR was staking a claim with Geno and Phil before he got hurt. Rust can be effective almost anywhere. He was great with Sid and Jake, but McCann is more skilled. I worried about Jake switching wings, but that hasn't seemed to be an issue.

But the rotating wings would appear to be Rust, McCann, ZAR, Simon, and Blueger. Cullen will do what he does. Center the 4th line, kill penalties, replace somebody on Sid's line for crucial defensive zone face offs. And Wilson is more likely than not to dress on the 4th line, depending on the opponent. About the only wild card we haven't seen is McCann with Geno and Phil.

On the blue line, I suspect Olli will have to wait for injury or poor play to get back into the lineup. Letang goes back with Dumoulin, JJ and Svhultz stay together, and the Pettersson/Gudbranson unit has become the shutdown pair. They've done well together, and take up a lot of the zone with their reach. Pettersson also adds more offensively than Olli at this point. I'm an Olli fan, but the team seems to be finding an identity, and his game may not be the best fit.

With Rust wearing a contact jersey in practice today he might be back as early as this weekend. When that happens I'd like to see them put McCann with Geno and Phil. Having another guy who is capable of playing fast on the 2nd line and who can help play defense might be a good match with 71 and 81.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby flame on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Lol Johnson is not getting benched nor should he. He’s been good since they put him on the correct side and he’s been overall pretty solid since December. The last D spots will be between Maatta/Petterson and Gudbranson if his game falls off.. but I’m crossing my fingers that doesn’t happen because I think we need him
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Mythodikal wrote:
Jim wrote:Remember when people used to actually watch games? Good times...

Hey Jim, good to see/read you again... Nice contribution.

:pop:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:08 pm

I'm so tired of people pointing at JJ's analytics history. Or EG's. I like the analytics as a tool, but they are very flawed. I've begun to see that, but after checking the Pens/Mtl postgame stats, I only give them a cursory look. The Pens beat the Habs handily, but only produced about a 32 CF. Getting an early commanding lead dictated how the game was played. Shots attempted are not necessarily a better stat than +/-. Not all shots are created equal, nor are all shooters. Looking back on the Lemieux Pens, I can tell you they would not have done well with corsi. They didn't need 40 shots to score 3 goals. Their opponents neede a lot more shots attempted to try and keep up.

I found it telling in separate interviews with JJ and Simon, that neither had any idea what Corsi was. Apparently, it's not something the coaches preach. Here's what JJ has done. He played his off side after Schultz went down for most of the season. Then, when the injury bug hit hard, he became the team's defacto #1 dman. Playing 25+ minutes a game when the team was desperate to hold things together. Being a physical presence, and killing penalties. And becoming only the 7th player in franchise history to record 200 hits in a season. Along with Gudbranson, he's turned the Pens defense into a physical nightmare. He's also a physical marvel. Wilson got him good on a hit the other night, and he just bounced straight up. He's put together, and fits this teams budding personality..... What he did in his previous seasons with different teams doesn't matter to me.... Alexei Kovalev and Marty Straka reached superstar heights with the Pens. But not elsewhere. JJ is a big part of what they do. He earned his spot by stepping up big time when they needed him.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:01 pm

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Bleuger - Cullen - Simon

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Schultz
Maatta - Gudbranson

That's the exact lineup I would start Game 1 with, but I agree that it may be Pettersson in place of Maatta. However the bottom pair is configured, it will be slow moving!
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:15 pm

Mythodikal wrote:Sorry, must have read your comment wrong. Read back through and see its the line up you like. I definitely see where you're coming from for the forward lines.

As to saying that JJ has been one of our better defenders in the last few games... I definitely disagree, just curious of what makes you say so?

Check how few rebound attempts opponents have gotten in recent games - can't remember which game, but I think there was a total of three. Check how clear the crease has been in front of the goaltenders.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Guentzel- Crosby- Rust
McCann- Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR-Bjugstad-Kessel
Cullen-Bleuger-Wilson/ Simon

Main reasoning is balance and having 2 defensively capable forwards with both Geno and Phil, who haven't been consistent enough scoring to justify the defensive liability they often are. Also love to see what McCann could do there.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Not all shot attempts created are equal.

But likes plus minus as a stat. I guess all goals created are equal?

I mean why shouldn’t a guy get a minus when his dman blatantly turns it over, or a stick breaks, or a goalie lets in a softie, or a guy steps on the ice and immediately gets scored against?

Or why shouldn’t a guy get a plus when he steps on the ice and his team scores? Or doesn’t touch the puck once or even affect the play and his team scores?

Trying to justify that plus minus is more telling than shot attempts is...well I won’t even go there.

Hainsey leads the league in plus minus. Enough said.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:47 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Not all shot attempts created are equal.

I mean why shouldn’t a guy get a minus when his dman blatantly turns it over, or a stick breaks, or a goalie lets in a softie, or a guy steps on the ice and immediately gets scored against?

Or why shouldn’t a guy get a plus when he steps on the ice and his team scores? Or doesn’t touch the puck once or even affect the play and his team scores?

Trying to justify that plus minus is more telling than shot attempts is...well I won’t even go there.

So, is thirty shot attempts all outside the circle and unscreened better than five shot attempts from a foot out of the blue paint?

Johnson blocks a lot of shots. Why? Because they are shooting from outside when he is in there. He wouldn't be blocking them if they were in high danger areas.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:29 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Not all shot attempts created are equal.

You're interpreting the statement as a mandate for +/-. Which wasn't mentioned, or suggested. It's not a great stat. Nor is corsi in the grand scheme of things. If it's such a great stat, why don't the players seem to be aware of it? Why aren't the coaches harping on it daily? Every stat has good points. But EVERY stat also has major flaws when employed for individuals playing in a team system. You read something that wasn't stated. I've seen arguments like the reason the team won was because they had an unsustainable shooting percentage. That's BS! Perhaps they had better shooters! It's a team game, with different people taking the shots. If a team is behind, they will take more desperation shots. The "I won't go there" suggests you are an expert who knows everything there is to know. I've watched enough to call BS on most of the theories. It's not a computer program based on plotting points for a desired result. The individuals representing those points are much different in Florida, Vancouver, or Columbus than they are in Pittsburgh. It's an athletic competition, not a math equation.

I specifically remember Mike Lange making a big deal about how the '92 Bruins took far and away the most shots on net when they played the Pens in the conference finals. But they scored very few goals. The series played out that way. The Bruins took a ton of shots. The PEns walked away with a pretty non-descript sweep.
Last edited by longtimefan on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins