Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:17 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Hockey News guy thinks the Pens will come in last place in Metro. Time to make your Vegas bets.

From the podcast, assumes everyone with a bad year will repeat, defense is assumed terrible, and no one young will replace Kessel output.

I don't think they will come in last, but, It could very well be a struggle for them.

I think Carolina could fall back off a bit, as they overachieved.
Columbus also is a big question mark after losing Panarin, Duchene, Dzingel, and Bob.
Detroit and Ottawa will likely continue to be non-factors.

Everyone else (Philly, Buffalo, Florida, Rangers, Devils) I think improved

That's 2 teams that I think may fall off a bit, 2 teams that stay about the same and don't challenge, and 5 teams that are going to make a bigger playoff push.

The bigger concern, just like with this summer......how does GMJR make in-season adjustments.....trades?
GMJR doesn't have a lot of easily moveable pieces that he can avoid to part with.

I think there is a greater possibility this team takes a step back vs. improving in the standings. With that being said I think a big reason this team has been stuck in a rut is the defense. I'm hopeful that next offseason after another wasted year of Crosby and Malkin bold changes are made.

If you look at the impending UFA's next offseason you see premium names like Faulk, Spurgeon, Pietrangelo, Krug, Vatanen, Brodie. While there are still time for those players to resign most of them are in the 28-31 age range and are likely looking for a last big pay day.

I think best case scenario:
-JJ is moved in season
-Schultz walks and the Pens sign his replacement
-Gudbranson is moved at the draft and Addison take the bottom pairing RHD spot.

The problem with letting Schultz walk is.....who replaces him? There really aren't any top guys that I expect to be available. Right now, Pietrangelo, Barrie, Green, Schultz, Spurgeon, Vatanen, Faulk, Tanev, Hamonic, Montour.....those are the top guys. I expect Pietrangelo, Barrie, Vatanen, and Montour to be resigned before ever hitting UFA. The trade route is usually the way to go, or develop these guys on your own.

In terms of Addison.....highly unlikely he is ready to play in the NHL next season. He's still 19. He'll be back in juniors this year, unfortunately. I think he'll need a year or two of AHL action before he can make the jump to the NHL. Joseph on the left side is probably in the same boat, needing a year or two in the AHL (he'll be there this year) before having a solid chance at NHL action.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:24 am

Southern Fan wrote:Hockey News guy thinks the Pens will come in last place in Metro. Time to make your Vegas bets.

From the podcast, assumes everyone with a bad year will repeat, defense is assumed terrible, and no one young will replace Kessel output.

I'm not sure what to think about the Pens' chances for next year. Looking at just pure point production, they have Kessel, Cullen, and Wilson leaving, and they collectively put up 110 points. We have Galchenyuk, Tanev, and Kahun coming in, and they collectively put up 117. So, it's just about a wash, assuming the new guys produce at around the same level here. On defense, I think Maatta had his problems, but was still a reliable 4/5 LD. The defense is a bit worse with him gone and not having a replacement.

It's a question of whether having an elite scorer like Kessel beats having more evenly distributed scoring, and whether the new guys bring other less tangible stuff to the table (speed, buy in to the system, hunger, grit, etc.). On defense, unless other moves are coming, it seems like a question of whether Johnson can be non-terrible, and whether Pettersson and Riikola can both take a step forward in their development.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ericf on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:03 am

There's a lot of good RDs on the market next summer but most, if not all, will get upwards of $7 mil + a year. The Pens analytics all show the team is better with Schultz in the lineup. That's not to say someone else couldn't be equally as good or better, but if the team can get Schultz to sign for $6 mil or less, they should do that. As we continually see with JR, FA isn't the way to go
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:07 am

largegarlic wrote:

I'm not sure what to think about the Pens' chances for next year. Looking at just pure point production, they have Kessel, Cullen, and Wilson leaving, and they collectively put up 110 points. We have Galchenyuk, Tanev, and Kahun coming in, and they collectively put up 117. So, it's just about a wash, assuming the new guys produce at around the same level here. On defense, I think Maatta had his problems, but was still a reliable 4/5 LD. The defense is a bit worse with him gone and not having a replacement.

It's a question of whether having an elite scorer like Kessel beats having more evenly distributed scoring, and whether the new guys bring other less tangible stuff to the table (speed, buy in to the system, hunger, grit, etc.). On defense, unless other moves are coming, it seems like a question of whether Johnson can be non-terrible, and whether Pettersson and Riikola can both take a step forward in their development.

I think Galyenchuk is in for a bit or a resurgence playing with Malkin. He's never had that type of center and they are both Russian. I think Malkin will help him a lot.

Speaking of Malkin, I think he's gonna come in determined to show the world last season was a blip. Pretty sure we are going to get a big uptick from him.

Jared McCann -- will continue his upward trajectory, he's a Guentzel-lite right now. I expect improvement there.

Guentzel -- quietly goes under the radar as a 40 goal guy. This year, he will get #1 PP duty - what is his new ceiling?

Hornqvist is a big question mark, but his recent performance in the Worlds was encouraging.

Tanev and Kahun - we will see what happens, where they slot in, but the speed lone will be welcome.

It's not all doom and gloom everyone. This team WILL compete this season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 am

Pitts wrote:
largegarlic wrote:

I think Galyenchuk is in for a bit or a resurgence playing with Malkin. He's never had that type of center and they are both Russian. I think Malkin will help him a lot.

Speaking of Malkin, I think he's gonna come in determined to show the world last season was a blip. Pretty sure we are going to get a big uptick from him.

Jared McCann -- will continue his upward trajectory, he's a Guentzel-lite right now. I expect improvement there.

Guentzel -- quietly goes under the radar as a 40 goal guy. This year, he will get #1 PP duty - what is his new ceiling?

Hornqvist is a big question mark, but his recent performance in the Worlds was encouraging.

Tanev and Kahun - we will see what happens, where they slot in, but the speed lone will be welcome.

I think the key is what you left out namely the blueline. Let's see who they have or don't have when they start the season. No doubt the forwards playing more responsibly will help,
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saints11 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:34 am

Just throwing this out there, Galchenyuk played in Russia. But, unless Wisconsin was ceded to Russia as a result of the 2016 election, Galchenyuk is an American born in Milwaukee.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:55 am

saints11 wrote:Just throwing this out there, Galchenyuk played in Russia. But, unless Wisconsin was ceded to Russia as a result of the 2016 election, Galchenyuk is an American born in Milwaukee.

I believe this was covered after the trade....he was born in Wisconsin, moved to Russia for awhile, move back to the US....IIRC. Born in Milwaukee, moved to Europe/Russia from age 4 to 15, then came back to the US. I would assume he has dual citizenship, maybe.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:00 pm

Galchenyuk at least seems to be taking the offseason seriously. I too, think he could have a breakout year this year playing with Malkin.

https://twitter.com/AGally94/status/1149696345625845760
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:03 pm

saints11 wrote:Just throwing this out there, Galchenyuk played in Russia. But, unless Wisconsin was ceded to Russia as a result of the 2016 election, Galchenyuk is an American born in Milwaukee.

Alex played for USA in the IIHF world cups.

His mother is Belarussian. His dad played for the USSR and Belarus. The father's called Alexander Nikolaevich Galchenyuk (Alexander, son of Nikolai Galchenyuk)

Now.. Belarus had nothing to do with the 2016 USA presidential elections, that I know of, not seen anyone claim otherwise either.

Our guy is called Alexander Alexandrovich Galchenyuk (Alexander, son of Alexander Galchenyuk). He's American of Belorussian descent and speaks English, Russian and Italian. (I'm not sure the latter of those is any use in hockey, but it might make French easier to understand, relatively)
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Galchenyuk at least seems to be taking the offseason seriously. I too, think he could have a breakout year this year playing with Malkin.

https://twitter.com/AGally94/status/1149696345625845760

i DO NOT RECALL SEEING A GUY WITH SUCH STRAIGHT CALFS...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:09 pm

F'n caps lock
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 pm

I knew that. But everyone refers to him as Russian and his formative years were spent there.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Pitts wrote:
largegarlic wrote:

I think the key is what you left out namely the blueline. Let's see who they have or don't have when they start the season. No doubt the forwards playing more responsibly will help,

Well, it's basically the same as last year ATM. So, we'll call that a wash for now.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Penguins resign Adam Johnson. 1 year, 700K, two-way deal.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Wow, Dzingel signed for cheap with Carolina.much better deal than ours with Tanev
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Wow, Dzingel signed for cheap with Carolina.much better deal than ours with Tanev

Dzingel is better than Tanev at offensive production. The Pens were 6th in the league for goals scored last season. They don't need more scoring, they need more sandpaper.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:06 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I don't think they will come in last, but, It could very well be a struggle for them.

Columbus also is a big question mark after losing Panarin, Duchene, Dzingel, and Bob.

That's 2 teams that I think may fall off a bit, 2 teams that stay about the same and don't challenge, and 5 teams that are going to make a bigger playoff push.

The bigger concern, just like with this summer......how does GMJR make in-season adjustments.....trades?
GMJR doesn't have a lot of easily moveable pieces that he can avoid to part with.

I think there is a greater possibility this team takes a step back vs. improving in the standings. With that being said I think a big reason this team has been stuck in a rut is the defense. I'm hopeful that next offseason after another wasted year of Crosby and Malkin bold changes are made.

If you look at the impending UFA's next offseason you see premium names like Faulk, Spurgeon, Pietrangelo, Krug, Vatanen, Brodie. While there are still time for those players to resign most of them are in the 28-31 age range and are likely looking for a last big pay day.

-JJ is moved in season

The problem with letting Schultz walk is.....who replaces him? There really aren't any top guys that I expect to be available. Right now, Pietrangelo, Barrie, Green, Schultz, Spurgeon, Vatanen, Faulk, Tanev, Hamonic, Montour.....those are the top guys. I expect Pietrangelo, Barrie, Vatanen, and Montour to be resigned before ever hitting UFA. The trade route is usually the way to go, or develop these guys on your own.

In terms of Addison.....highly unlikely he is ready to play in the NHL next season. He's still 19. He'll be back in juniors this year, unfortunately. I think he'll need a year or two of AHL action before he can make the jump to the NHL. Joseph on the left side is probably in the same boat, needing a year or two in the AHL (he'll be there this year) before having a solid chance at NHL action.

The bottom line is Schultz hasn't played well outside of one season. Are you going to give him a raise over the 5.5M he is making now? I wouldn't do it.

Which brings us to the question of how do you replace him? Trading Schultz for someone on that list is an option makes the most sense, see how they fit and potentially extend them.

Just seems like the Pens have a more pressing issue and that is clearing space to resign the RFAs
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:44 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

-JJ is moved in season

The bottom line is Schultz hasn't played well outside of one season. Are you going to give him a raise over the 5.5M he is making now? I wouldn't do it.

Which brings us to the question of how do you replace him? Trading Schultz for someone on that list is an option makes the most sense, see how they fit and potentially extend them.

Just seems like the Pens have a more pressing issue and that is clearing space to resign the RFAs

I agree with both of your first two points. Analytically, he's been good, but, he really hasn't had a strong season since he got that 5.5M salary. Last year he was injured, but even the year before his numbers were down. I have heard Penguins are on the fence with him....if he is demanding anything starting over 7M, they aren't likely to keep him. I honestly wouldn't give him much more than he's making more, IMO.

This is where some of the bad contracts come into play. If the sole goal is to upgrade Justin Schultz via trade:
--You aren't going to move Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, McCann, Letang, Dumoulin, Pettersson, or Murray to upgrade Schultz.
--Rust, Simon, ZAR, Blueger, Kahun, Gudbranson, or DeSmith likely aren't going to move the needle much in a trade.
--Johnson, Tanev, and Hornqvist might be difficult to move.

If I'm looking to move on from Schultz, there are couple avenues to look at.
1) Their best bet might be to try and package him with Hornqvist for a quality RD. That's tough to do in season. You have to hope Hornqvist play rebounds this year. You have to get Hornqvist to waive his NMC, and you have to have a team that really likes Schultz that wants to extend him, even if the number is high.

2) Hope Carolina is a deadline seller, and go hard after Justin Faulk with the intent of resigning him. Faulk has been a 30 plus point producer from the back end for 6 straight years, with a 49 point season in those 6 years. Double digit goals in 4 of those years. I'd go 6M-6.5M on Faulk before I'd feel comfortable doing the same with Schultz.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ericf on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 pm

If Sully plays Pettersson with Schultz and the pairing looks good, AND Schultz is willing to sign at $6 mil per year or less, then it’s a no brainer to re-sign Schultz...he’s not as good as some other RD who’ll be on the market, but if he’s playing with a solid LD, he should be worth that contract to the Pens...if you want to upgrade on him, my guess is we’ll be spending upwards of $7 mil in FA and likely JR, as his want, will be signing that player to some god awful term and a NTC...if Pettersson and Schultz don’t look good, then don’t re-sign him...we’ll probably need an upgrade for sure unless we upgrade second pair LD instead...but one of those two positions will need to be much better this season
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:13 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:The bottom line is Schultz hasn't played well outside of one season. Are you going to give him a raise over the 5.5M he is making now? I wouldn't do it.

I agree with both of your first two points. Analytically, he's been good, but, he really hasn't had a strong season since he got that 5.5M salary. Last year he was injured, but even the year before his numbers were down. I have heard Penguins are on the fence with him....if he is demanding anything starting over 7M, they aren't likely to keep him. I honestly wouldn't give him much more than he's making more, IMO.

This is where some of the bad contracts come into play. If the sole goal is to upgrade Justin Schultz via trade:
--You aren't going to move Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, McCann, Letang, Dumoulin, Pettersson, or Murray to upgrade Schultz.
--Rust, Simon, ZAR, Blueger, Kahun, Gudbranson, or DeSmith likely aren't going to move the needle much in a trade.
--Johnson, Tanev, and Hornqvist might be difficult to move.

If I'm looking to move on from Schultz, there are couple avenues to look at.
1) Their best bet might be to try and package him with Hornqvist for a quality RD. That's tough to do in season. You have to hope Hornqvist play rebounds this year. You have to get Hornqvist to waive his NMC, and you have to have a team that really likes Schultz that wants to extend him, even if the number is high.

2) Hope Carolina is a deadline seller, and go hard after Justin Faulk with the intent of resigning him. Faulk has been a 30 plus point producer from the back end for 6 straight years, with a 49 point season in those 6 years. Double digit goals in 4 of those years. I'd go 6M-6.5M on Faulk before I'd feel comfortable doing the same with Schultz.

An in-season trade is going to be tough given the salary of Schultz and Hornqvist. The two options I like and that are realistic are Spurgeon and Faulk. Minnesota has room to take on Hornqvist it would down to them being interested and Hornqvist waiving his NTC. That's a lot of variables.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Jordan Binnington getting 4.4M AAV on a 2 year deal certainly won't help our cause in keeping Matt Murray's contract low.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stick_licker on Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:35 am

mayday56 wrote:GMJR just got inducted into the hockey hall of fame....he has a cup with Carolina and a couple here with the pens and we still have guys here who think they are smarter and could do a better job. amazing....You smart guys who think we overpaid for Tanev or gave him to much term. You havent a clue whats going on in the front office. who they plan on moving...what trades they are going to do. maybe come the beginning of October it will become clear. Maybe there was a bidding war going on for Tanev and we couldnt afford to lose it because we dont have a whole lot of windows left to make another cup run. Tanev is exactly what this team needs! Lets hope he is infectious....

Lots of people bashed the Reaves trade and the JJ signing also. Just because we're not GMs doesn't mean we can't spot a bad deal. Otherwise why don't we shut down all discussion and just not have a forum?
Stick_licker
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 am

Stick_licker wrote:
mayday56 wrote:GMJR just got inducted into the hockey hall of fame....he has a cup with Carolina and a couple here with the pens and we still have guys here who think they are smarter and could do a better job. amazing....You smart guys who think we overpaid for Tanev or gave him to much term. You havent a clue whats going on in the front office. who they plan on moving...what trades they are going to do. maybe come the beginning of October it will become clear. Maybe there was a bidding war going on for Tanev and we couldnt afford to lose it because we dont have a whole lot of windows left to make another cup run. Tanev is exactly what this team needs! Lets hope he is infectious....

Lots of people bashed the Reaves trade and the JJ signing also. Just because we're not GMs doesn't mean we can't spot a bad deal. Otherwise why don't we shut down all discussion and just not have a forum?

I still don't have a problem with the JJ signing. And the Reaves signing didn't work out. It happens.

The problem isn't bashing him on occasional moves. The problem is automatically bashing every move he makes and using the few questionable ones he made as evidence for why it is a bad move. Let's see if Tanev works out. It's entirely possible that Rutherford knows more about the player than you do.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:53 am

FLPensFan wrote:Jordan Binnington getting 4.4M AAV on a 2 year deal certainly won't help our cause in keeping Matt Murray's contract low.

Murray is going to be in the 5M-6M range
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:17 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Jordan Binnington getting 4.4M AAV on a 2 year deal certainly won't help our cause in keeping Matt Murray's contract low.

Murray is going to be in the 5M-6M range

A lot depends on what kind of season Murray has in 19/20. When you have a mid-30 year old goalie like MAF signing for 7 mil/season, then a Murray contract of 5 to 6 million would be a significant hometown discount.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins