Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby KG on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:51 am

Just read the Flames are looking for a defenseman. Fingers crossed...

They are in cap crunch though as all of their money will go to Tkachuk.

Pretty wild how many teams are in cap hell.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,996
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:54 am

Retain 1M on JJ and youre still coming out ahead. Especially if you can get anything in return.

Re: cap situations

That's just a lot of teams playing the cap game. Min-maxing their cap structure to field the strongest team for a deep playoff team. And be stuck with a lot of salary on your roster.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,389
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am

If you are going to retain $1M on Johnson, just keep him.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,507
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11 am

Jim wrote:If you are going to retain $1M on Johnson, just keep him.

I agree it doesnt do much, in comparison to waiving him. It does however allow us to start collectively picking on other (un)deserving players
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,389
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby Ericf on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:44 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:If you are going to retain $1M on Johnson, just keep him.

I agree it doesnt do much, in comparison to waiving him. It does however allow us to start collectively picking on other (un)deserving players


It gets us an extra $1.2 versus waiving him, which is significant. If we trade him and retain $1 mil ($2.25 mil gone) and send Trotman down, we have nearly $3 mil to sign Petts long term...it’s the difference between maybe not signing him and signing him for 3-year, $2.75 mil contract for example...so it could do a lot more than just waiving ...
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Ericf wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:If you are going to retain $1M on Johnson, just keep him.

I agree it doesnt do much, in comparison to waiving him. It does however allow us to start collectively picking on other (un)deserving players


It gets us an extra $1.2 versus waiving him, which is significant. If we trade him and retain $1 mil ($2.25 mil gone) and send Trotman down, we have nearly $3 mil to sign Petts long term...it’s the difference between maybe not signing him and signing him for 3-year, $2.75 mil contract for example...so it could do a lot more than just waiving ...

If you got anything of value back alongside the retained salary, it becomes a different matter. In and of itself, it isn't significant.

Giving too much cap to Pettersson after we just got back from the back-to-back disasters of Hunwick and (in this example) Johnson, is not what I consider wise.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,389
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby longtimefan on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Ericf wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:If you are going to retain $1M on Johnson, just keep him.

I agree it doesnt do much, in comparison to waiving him. It does however allow us to start collectively picking on other (un)deserving players


It gets us an extra $1.2 versus waiving him, which is significant. If we trade him and retain $1 mil ($2.25 mil gone) and send Trotman down, we have nearly $3 mil to sign Petts long term...it’s the difference between maybe not signing him and signing him for 3-year, $2.75 mil contract for example...so it could do a lot more than just waiving ...

If you got anything of value back alongside the retained salary, it becomes a different matter. In and of itself, it isn't significant.

Giving too much cap to Pettersson after we just got back from the back-to-back disasters of Hunwick and (in this example) Johnson, is not what I consider wise.


The significance isn't for this season, where you need to fit Pettersson in. The significance is next season and the season after, when they'll likely be pushing the cap again. That $1M against the cap becomes a handicap.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,981
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby brwi on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:18 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
- Dumoulin / Letang
- ??? / Schultz
- Pettersson / Gudbranson

There's a black hole in our defence. For me, it's the 2nd LD slot next to Justin Schultz. Top pair is fine and the bottom pair looks respectable with MP/EG, I think most will agree. Now, if I add in Schultzie, I think this is a defence corps that (if healthy) ranks top 10 in the league -- if I factor in that black hole and who we have available, that drops to middle of the pack.

What would you rather have. Pettersson with Schultz, adapting to a role. He may succeed, or not. He's certainly better than JJ at it, frankly I don't care though. I've heard the Dumoulin analogy, well fine. Dumoulin went from 6/7, to a 5, then entered the second pair, later worked himself up to the top pair with Letang. Each stage took a long time, where Dumo adjusted as he kept improving -- and proving.

Pettersson, if he signs, should get that time too. I want him to start on a third pair for a while, get looks on a second pair as time goes on. If he works out there (not proven yet in my view) you pair him with Schultz and that'll be his ceiling for the time being.

Sticking him on a second pair right now could be problematic. For reasons of confidence building etcetera, the usual.

Jack Johnson has *nothing* to do with Marcus Pettersson. I'm fine with Riikola/Schultz on opening night if that's what it takes, for that matter. You don't plug a hole on the second pair by plugging a promising 3rd pairing guy there outside his comfort zone. I also realise it's highly unlikely JJ's 3.25M contract will end up scratched much. Picked JJ up for the second pair, but he'd look better in a WBS uniform. Gotta wrap duct tape around that, not use it to strap Petterson to the saddle for it. And no, I'm not enough of a JJ basher for that. A surprise even to me

(my 2cts)


:thumb: That sums up the state of the Pens' blueline well and it's the 2D spot that is the bigger issue than JJ being part of the regular 6. Maybe one day Pettersson is the answer but I really doubt it's this year and if he's forced into that role because the Pens made a boneheaded move with his contract this summer, no one wins.

Schultz is a big question mark in my mind at 2D. Last time it was a contract year, he was lights-out and had easily the best regular and post-season of his life. After the hefty new contract, rather blah results with injury and kind of average performance. He's been pretty weak in his own end since 2016-17 and sort of reminds me of how Gonchar played for years until he hit around 30, close to the same age as 29 yr old Schultz, and that's at times an unwillingness to take even a light hit and panic under pressure. Here's hoping that the combination of critical contract year and really getting his heart into it will be the answer. Of course, a good year for Schultz and Pens probably won't be able to afford him but that's another issue for another year.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,068
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:25 am

Carolina Hurricanes sign defenseman Chase Priskie.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,104
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:50 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Carolina Hurricanes sign defenseman Chase Priskie.

He said he wanted to go somewhere where he could challenge for a spot right away. With Hamilton, Faulk and Pesce, that is not going to happen. Maybe he is insurance in case Faulk is dealt. Carolina is definitely a team to watch out for.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,341
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:59 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Carolina Hurricanes sign defenseman Chase Priskie.

He said he wanted to go somewhere where he could challenge for a spot right away. With Hamilton, Faulk and Pesce, that is not going to happen. Maybe he is insurance in case Faulk is dealt. Carolina is definitely a team to watch out for.

I think he'll start in the AHL, but probably force his way onto the team by mid-season. Sara Civian said Carolina has been after him for awhile, and was even trying to work out a trade for him before his rights with the Caps expired.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,104
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Avs sign Nichushkin to a 1 year, 850K deal.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,104
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Sounding like Derick Brassard is going to sign a 1 year deal with Edmonton, according to a few sources. Haven't heard AAV, but probably low.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,104
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby netwolf on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:42 pm

I don't know how it will ultimately work out, but I really like that Nichushkin deal for Colorado. Extremely low risk signing that could pay off big.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,819
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby Owchar76 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 pm

netwolf wrote:I don't know how it will ultimately work out, but I really like that Nichushkin deal for Colorado. Extremely low risk signing that could pay off big.


Yup, he's definitely a good buy low candidate.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,244
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:36 am

Man, these GMs will sit here and yell at Mitch Marner and Point and Laine....they are asking for too much over their actual value.....but then you have GMs like Ottawa, who just signed Colin White to a 6 year deal worth 4.75M. The guy has 47 points in 94 career NHL games.

Absurd. Absolutely Absurd.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,104
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby interstorm on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:59 am

FLPensFan wrote:Man, these GMs will sit here and yell at Mitch Marner and Point and Laine....they are asking for too much over their actual value.....but then you have GMs like Ottawa, who just signed Colin White to a 6 year deal worth 4.75M. The guy has 47 points in 94 career NHL games.

Absurd. Absolutely Absurd.


Yep -- totally agree. It seems like GMs (and agents) say (hypothetically) Player X scored 100 points and makes $10 million. So Player Y, who scored 50 points should make $5. Given the term of the contract and the expected rise of the cap we'll move that to $6 million. Done.

Thing is if there are only 6 people who scored 100 points and 112 who scored 50 (as was the case last year) -- it shouldn't be a linear correlation between points and salary. The Marners and Laines should all get paid max dollar (assuming the teams are happy with them and believe investing in them is a good idea) and all these 2nd, 3rd and 4th line player salaries should be driven downward in contrast. Looking at who is still available now, much less the bargains to be had by taking advantage of teams who need to make space, there is no reason any 3rd or 4th line player should be signed to more than a $2M deal for more than 2 years (and those 4th liners...they really should be league minimum).

It's simple supply and demand. NHL GM's are out at Ruth's Chris steakhouse filling up on appetizers and bread!

The economics of the NHL are so fundamentally screwed up. Shouldn't be a surprise because virtually every other aspect of managing the league is equally messed up.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: From IglooReport - same user name

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:16 pm

It appears the Wild have hired Guerin as their GM, according to Mike Russo of the Athletic.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,104
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:20 pm

interstorm wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Man, these GMs will sit here and yell at Mitch Marner and Point and Laine....they are asking for too much over their actual value.....but then you have GMs like Ottawa, who just signed Colin White to a 6 year deal worth 4.75M. The guy has 47 points in 94 career NHL games.

Absurd. Absolutely Absurd.


Yep -- totally agree. It seems like GMs (and agents) say (hypothetically) Player X scored 100 points and makes $10 million. So Player Y, who scored 50 points should make $5. Given the term of the contract and the expected rise of the cap we'll move that to $6 million. Done.

Thing is if there are only 6 people who scored 100 points and 112 who scored 50 (as was the case last year) -- it shouldn't be a linear correlation between points and salary. The Marners and Laines should all get paid max dollar (assuming the teams are happy with them and believe investing in them is a good idea) and all these 2nd, 3rd and 4th line player salaries should be driven downward in contrast. Looking at who is still available now, much less the bargains to be had by taking advantage of teams who need to make space, there is no reason any 3rd or 4th line player should be signed to more than a $2M deal for more than 2 years (and those 4th liners...they really should be league minimum).

It's simple supply and demand. NHL GM's are out at Ruth's Chris steakhouse filling up on appetizers and bread!

The economics of the NHL are so fundamentally screwed up. Shouldn't be a surprise because virtually every other aspect of managing the league is equally messed up.

I get why they do it. They are gambling that said player is going to improve dramatically, and that if Colin White becomes a 60 point player this year, that they likely just save themselves 1.5-2M AAV. But, in most cases, they lose that gamble.

IMO, unless you are an elite level talent (McDavid, Crosby, etc) or Tier1 talent (Marner, Matthews, Connor, etc), you should not go from ELC to high level deals. You should be forced to go through a bridge deal. Too many mediocre talent players are skipping the bridge deal and immediately getting paid after their ELC.

Just like everything else in the NHL, they are still stuck in a 1970's mentality.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,104
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby Ericf on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm

It appears now that Brassard is going to sign with the Islanders.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,341
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:54 pm

sjnhiils wrote:It appears now that Brassard is going to sign with the Islanders.


1 yr 1.2M to play 3C.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,061
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:33 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:It appears now that Brassard is going to sign with the Islanders.


1 yr 1.2M to play 3C.

Big Game Brass to Small $ Brass
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,389
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:19 am

Looks like Kuznetsov's flapping bird wing celebration was more like him thinking if he flapped hard enough he could actually fly.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/08/ ... ls-russia/

The NHL cant turn a blind eye to this. 4 year suspension from international hockey! Looks like that 8 year deal the Caps signed is going to hurt.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,198
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:44 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:Looks like Kuznetsov's flapping bird wing celebration was more like him thinking if he flapped hard enough he could actually fly.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/08/ ... ls-russia/

The NHL cant turn a blind eye to this. 4 year suspension from international hockey! Looks like that 8 year deal the Caps signed is going to hurt.


He might get 20 games.

Were Malone and Stoll still in the league when they got busted?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,644
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pens4Life, sjnhiils and 14 guests


e-mail