Penguins 2019 Training Camp Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins 2019 Training Camp Thread

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Players are starting to get some informal sessions in ahead of training camp starting on the 13th. A few notes.

Jon Bombulie of the Trib stated in a tweet about an hour ago that Marcus Pettersson was at the rink in Cranberry today. So, he is in town.....waiting on a contract. Matt Vensel reported Pettersson was actually on the ice for the informal workout.

Taylor Haase states Almeida and Almari are wearing red no contact jerseys. Bjorkqvist was on the ice in a regular jersey.

Players on the ice today....Hornqvist, Rust, Galchenyuk, Schultz, Blueger, Ruhwedel, Dumoulin, Simon, Riikola, Malkin, Letang, Jack Johnson. I believe the AHL guys went out as a separate group afterwards.

Also of note from Sam Kasan.....Galchenyuk came to Pittsburgh with only two sticks. Malkin tried one, and like it. Galchenyuk now has only one stick. :D
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Penguins 2019 Training Camp Thread

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:19 pm

Any truth to the rumor JJ is in the best shape of his life?
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:49 pm

https://twitter.com/PGSportsNow/status/ ... 57505?s=19
Poor kid, Zachary Lauzon , pens draft pick, is retiring due to concussion symptoms.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:09 pm

penny lane wrote:https://twitter.com/PGSportsNow/status/1171929165156757505?s=19
Poor kid, Zachary Lauzon , pens draft pick, is retiring due to concussion symptoms.

People were wondering why he was on the rookie camp roster but didn't get into any games. Now we know why.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Players are starting to get some informal sessions in ahead of training camp starting on the 13th. A few notes.

Jon Bombulie of the Trib stated in a tweet about an hour ago that Marcus Pettersson was at the rink in Cranberry today. So, he is in town.....waiting on a contract. Matt Vensel reported Pettersson was actually on the ice for the informal workout.

Taylor Haase states Almeida and Almari are wearing red no contact jerseys. Bjorkqvist was on the ice in a regular jersey.

Players on the ice today....Hornqvist, Rust, Galchenyuk, Schultz, Blueger, Ruhwedel, Dumoulin, Simon, Riikola, Malkin, Letang, Jack Johnson. I believe the AHL guys went out as a separate group afterwards.

Also of note from Sam Kasan.....Galchenyuk came to Pittsburgh with only two sticks. Malkin tried one, and like it. Galchenyuk now has only one stick. :D

well lets hope he doesn't break that stick within the first couple days.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:02 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
penny lane wrote:https://twitter.com/PGSportsNow/status/1171929165156757505?s=19

People were wondering why he was on the rookie camp roster but didn't get into any games. Now we know why.

wow that is awful, career ending before it even really got started due to it. Hopefully he is fine long term outside of hockey.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Camp officially opens Friday. I believe off-ice training may be occurring tomorrow. Marcus Pettersson situation is still not resolved. This officially becomes an issue for me when Pettersson has to miss days of camp, or attend camp with no contract.

If a trade hasn't happened by now, it ain't happening. Most teams are cap-strapped. There just aren't a lot of options out there for moving salary out.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:08 am

FLPensFan wrote:Camp officially opens Friday. I believe off-ice training may be occurring tomorrow. Marcus Pettersson situation is still not resolved. This officially becomes an issue for me when Pettersson has to miss days of camp, or attend camp with no contract.

If a trade hasn't happened by now, it ain't happening. Most teams are cap-strapped. There just aren't a lot of options out there for moving salary out.

I don't agree. I think his not being signed is an indication that there are still trade talks going on. As the logjam of RFA's start to sign, you'll get more clarity. It seems that both sides are okay with it. They probably know the parameters of both a long term and short term deal. There are a lot of trades during camp. Injuries, teams finding they aren't as strong at a position as they thought. JR stated the preference was to get him signed before camp. But MP may decide to wait and attend camp without a contract. I wouldn't expect a deal, but I suspect JR is working the phones hard. Once MP signs the short term deal, he's stuck with it. Trade or no trade. There's no real urgency.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby interstorm on Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:19 am

Also have to wonder if the team is cutting it razor thin in case of injury. Maybe they are intending to play IR hopscotch all year or hedging against someone (especially on D) getting hurt long term early in the season (again).
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:41 am

interstorm wrote:Also have to wonder if the team is cutting it razor thin in case of injury. Maybe they are intending to play IR hopscotch all year or hedging against someone (especially on D) getting hurt long term early in the season (again).

A few teams are cutting it close. A number of Capitals fan brianiacs are talking about going with a 21 man roster, and just skating 17 during games (+2G) if necessary.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:43 am

FLPensFan wrote:Camp officially opens Friday. I believe off-ice training may be occurring tomorrow. Marcus Pettersson situation is still not resolved. This officially becomes an issue for me when Pettersson has to miss days of camp, or attend camp with no contract.

If he, his agent, and the Penguins know the plan -- as all sides have insinuated -- what does it matter if he has a contract before camp, as long as he's at camp?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 am

Defence21 wrote:

If he, his agent, and the Penguins know the plan -- as all sides have insinuated -- what does it matter if he has a contract before camp, as long as he's at camp?

Well, I'd be interested in what the agent has to say today.....because, while it is true the agent and GMJR seem to be on the same page, and seem to have both a short-term and long-term deal already worked out, they are now starting to hit deadlines.

Peter Wallen (MP's agent) said Pettersson wanted to be in town a week before camp. I know he is in town, I don't know if he made it here as early as he wanted. Because he hasn't signed yet, Pittsburgh/Pettersson had to "finangle" a bit with his visa, using the qualifying offer he received as proof of employment, instead of an actual contract that he has signed. This is from the 9/5 article on DK site: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/09/05/penguins-marcus-pettersson-visa-camp-dwm/

If you go back two days earlier, DK's site had another piece where Peter Wallen said Pettersson will be in camp on time. There was no indication whether he expected a contract, or if Pettersson was going to try and take out an insurance policy to allow him to participate in training camp without a contract: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/09/03/penguins-marcus-pettersson-training-camp-contract-dwm/

The quote I cannot find, and I am 99% it was said by GMJR, was that he wouldn't let Pettersson participate in training camp without a contract. I didn't take it as a threat, more as injury precaution, that the Penguins don't want that happening. Not sure if that was from DK's site and a smaller piece (Friday Insider or something else), or from the PG/Trib. If I find it, I will update this post.

Nonetheless, whether GMJR and the agent are in agreement or not, the fact that we are now having to consider Pettersson missing days of camp, or having to take out insurance policies to play, is not a good look for the GM.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:15 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Well, I'd be interested in what the agent has to say today.....because, while it is true the agent and GMJR seem to be on the same page, and seem to have both a short-term and long-term deal already worked out, they are now starting to hit deadlines.

Peter Wallen (MP's agent) said Pettersson wanted to be in town a week before camp. I know he is in town, I don't know if he made it here as early as he wanted. Because he hasn't signed yet, Pittsburgh/Pettersson had to "finangle" a bit with his visa, using the qualifying offer he received as proof of employment, instead of an actual contract that he has signed. This is from the 9/5 article on DK site: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/09/05/penguins-marcus-pettersson-visa-camp-dwm/

If you go back two days earlier, DK's site had another piece where Peter Wallen said Pettersson will be in camp on time. There was no indication whether he expected a contract, or if Pettersson was going to try and take out an insurance policy to allow him to participate in training camp without a contract: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/09/03/penguins-marcus-pettersson-training-camp-contract-dwm/

The quote I cannot find, and I am 99% it was said by GMJR, was that he wouldn't let Pettersson participate in training camp without a contract. I didn't take it as a threat, more as injury precaution, that the Penguins don't want that happening. Not sure if that was from DK's site and a smaller piece (Friday Insider or something else), or from the PG/Trib. If I find it, I will update this post.

Nonetheless, whether GMJR and the agent are in agreement or not, the fact that we are now having to consider Pettersson missing days of camp, or having to take out insurance policies to play, is not a good look for the GM.[/quote

The most recent quote I saw from GMJR is that it was his and MP's preference that he have a contract going into camp. The key word is preference. He doesn't have to miss any camp, contract or not. Like I said above, MP may be willing to wait it out. Trades and injuries always happen during camp. The fact he isn't signed likely means they are still working to make a deal. There's news again. RFA's are signing. There are trade rumors. MP has the right to wait things out if there's still a chance.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:20 am

From the Bobfather about 40 minutes ago:

Bob McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Expect RFA D Marcus Pettersson to report to PIT training camp in anticipation of finalizing a short term contract in the next day or so.

10:36 AM - Sep 12, 2019
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:37 am

FLPensFan wrote:From the Bobfather about 40 minutes ago:

Bob McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Expect RFA D Marcus Pettersson to report to PIT training camp in anticipation of finalizing a short term contract in the next day or so.

So what happens if Ruhwedel and Trotman both get sent down and clear waivers?

That will really take away PT from the young guys we are trying to develop, no?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:54 am

Bob McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie

If that's the case, then there will be clarity on the cap situation. As much as some have suggested they send JJ to WBS, that isn't going to happen. A) They like him way better than your average poster. And B) you have a better chance of eventually moving him if he's playing in the NHL. If MP signs the short term deal, the players who should be the most nervous are Ruhlwedel and DeSmith. Trotman is on a 2 way deal, and never really was expected to make the team. I think Riikola is safe, since he showed promise as a rookie. He certainly has far more upside than CR. Chad also has a much better chance of clearing waivers. Jarry's presence makes a DeSmith demotion plausible. The brutal truth is a good backup goalie is vital, but you still are talking about a player you hope only plays 30 games max in the regular season, and who gets to wear a ballcap for the entirety of the playoffs.

I consider McKenzie to be the most reliable of the pundits, and he has a long history of credibility. However, he's not perfect. He's the one who projected JJ would command around $5M AAV when he left the Jackets. So I'm still waiting to see how this plays out. It could be as simple as coordinating the logistics to finalize the agreed upon short term deal. Regardless, I don't think there's any angst over whether MP will be in camp or not. The intrigue is the AAV of the deal he signs.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

Bob McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie

This is where I don't understand how the cap works during training camp. All teams are allowed to be 10% over the cap from July 1st to the last day of training camp. But, really think about that for a minute......when training camp starts.....you have 50-60 players in camp. Are they all counted on the roster? Because obviously, that would put every team well over even the 10% allowance.

What I have read, but not confirmed, is that, any player in camp that played for the current team in the NHL last season counts against the cap. however, they only count against the cap for the days they were on the NHL roster....so, as an example:

---Teddy Blueger was only on the roster for 26 days, plus 38 days as an emergency recall. He would only count 223K, instead of the full cap hit.
---Zach Trotman was only on the roster for 40 days. He would only count 139K instead of his full cap hit.

---guys like Bellerive, Addison, Marino, Lafferty, Miletic, etc.....guys that didn't play at the NHL level last year, wouldn't count against the cap during camp.

Again, not certain that is how it works, but it is how I believe it works based on a few things I read this week.

I guess the Penguins could waive Trotman and Riikola at the beginning of camp (clearing waivers is effective for 30 days), but it makes it more likely that they could get claimed.
The other option would be trade. And again, without a trade, if waiving Trotman and Riikola, sending them to WBS, and signing Pettersson to a deal in the 800K-1M range is the plan, then, I don't see the Penguins having enough space to field a 23 man roster this season. They'd have 22, and somewhere between 600-700K in cap space remaining....which prevents the recall of most players from the minors, as probably 75% of the AHL players make 725K or higher.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:38 am

Dave Molinari
@MolinariPGH
·
2m
Penguins GM Jim Rutherford says he expects to have a contract for D Marcus Pettersson in place in "the next 24 hours." #DKPS #Penguins
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:42 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

Bob McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Trotman is going to be sent down regardless, unless there's an injury. Yes, Ruhlwedel may take away minutes from a younger prospect, but that's how it usually works. You always want some serviceable veterans in the AHL. Perhaps Chad bumps a Warsofsky to the pressbox.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:43 am

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Bob McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie

This is where I don't understand how the cap works during training camp. All teams are allowed to be 10% over the cap from July 1st to the last day of training camp. But, really think about that for a minute......when training camp starts.....you have 50-60 players in camp. Are they all counted on the roster? Because obviously, that would put every team well over even the 10% allowance.

What I have read, but not confirmed, is that, any player in camp that played for the current team in the NHL last season counts against the cap. however, they only count against the cap for the days they were on the NHL roster....so, as an example:

---Teddy Blueger was only on the roster for 26 days, plus 38 days as an emergency recall. He would only count 223K, instead of the full cap hit.
---Zach Trotman was only on the roster for 40 days. He would only count 139K instead of his full cap hit.

---guys like Bellerive, Addison, Marino, Lafferty, Miletic, etc.....guys that didn't play at the NHL level last year, wouldn't count against the cap during camp.

Again, not certain that is how it works, but it is how I believe it works based on a few things I read this week.

I guess the Penguins could waive Trotman and Riikola at the beginning of camp (clearing waivers is effective for 30 days), but it makes it more likely that they could get claimed.
The other option would be trade. And again, without a trade, if waiving Trotman and Riikola, sending them to WBS, and signing Pettersson to a deal in the 800K-1M range is the plan, then, I don't see the Penguins having enough space to field a 23 man roster this season. They'd have 22, and somewhere between 600-700K in cap space remaining....which prevents the recall of most players from the minors, as probably 75% of the AHL players make 725K or higher.

I think they'll have to go with 22 players.

13F 7D and 2G.

This is where the versatility GMJR speaks about comes in. Most spare forwards and can both wings and some can play C.

Riikola can play both sides. If someone gets hurt I dont see a call up happening unless said player is on LTIR
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:00 pm

longtimefan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Bob McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Trotman is going to be sent down regardless, unless there's an injury. Yes, Ruhlwedel may take away minutes from a younger prospect, but that's how it usually works. You always want some serviceable veterans in the AHL. Perhaps Chad bumps a Warsofsky to the pressbox.

Sending guys like Trotman, Riikola, and Ruhwedel down also causes another issue. The AHL has a veteran rule, that states a team can only dress 5 players that have played 260 or more professional games. That includes NHL, AHL, as well as top tier Euro leagues.

Trotman, Ruhwedel, Riikola, Warskofsky and Czuczman are all veterans on defense.
Cramarrossa, Haggerty are up front, and Blandisi is closing in on 260.
Tokarski would be there from the goalie side.

This was a problem for Pittsburgh last year....they had too many veterans.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:08 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I think they'll have to go with 22 players.

13F 7D and 2G.

This is where the versatility GMJR speaks about comes in. Most spare forwards and can both wings and some can play C.

Riikola can play both sides. If someone gets hurt I dont see a call up happening unless said player is on LTIR

22 might work for an opening night roster, but it does not work for the season. non-LTIR injuries and such (will count against the cap) will cause the need for people to be called up and push the cap-count roster to 23 or more.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Perhaps I'm missing something? Just basic calculations from cap friendly.

The Pens show a cap hit of $81,657,500 with 23 contracts, including Trotman.

Waiving Trotman gets you $542,500 under the cap. If you waive DeSmith instead of Jarry, you still have to count $175K against the cap for DeSmith, but you receive a net savings of $400K. If DeSmith is claimed, you save another $175K. Assuming he doest clear, you've cleared $942,500. Not quite enough to fit MP in at $1M.

The thing is, they aren't thinking too far ahead. Deals happen in season, and possibly more so this year as the RFA's start to sign, and teams have more cap clarity. Also, there's always a decent chance somebody has to start the season on IR. It isn't about the cap situation all season long, just to start the season. The idea is to protect your assets however you can.

It's a given Trotman will be sent down. To clear the extra space, you start the season with 22 roster players. Which used to be the norm. One extra forward, one extra defenseman. The 13 forwards are set barring injury. It would come down to Ruhlwedel or Riikola. Even though you'd receive an additional $150K in savings for Riikola, he is a much higher value commodity.

Riikola is a 25 year old coming off his rookie season. One in which he was asked to play both sides, even though his stated preference was to play one side or the other. He seemed to perform better from his natural left side, but his capability of playing both gives him a distinct advantage. It was also a year he was acclimating to a new league, a different size ice surface, and a new culture. He's also on a RFA deal, and the Pens retain his rights. He has an upside, and is an intriguing option if you can successfully move JJ at some point. His speed makes him a possible match for Gudbranson. His physicality could make the duo a nightmare to play against. On the other hand, Ruhlwedel is a 29 year old UFA to be, who is a journeyman NHL defenseman. Riikola may turn out to be the same, but Chad has already shown that he is who he is. I don't see them waiving Riikola. And there is a much higher possibility of him being claimed.

So the net result would be to waive DeSmith, Trotman, and Ruhlwedel. Before MP's contact, you'd be $1.65M under the cap. Not enough to bring somebody up, but likely only a temporary situation. It's a waiting game. That's league wide. It has been all summer. Everybody is either trying to get out of cap hell, or are waiting for the RFA dominos to fall so there is cap clarity, and the market can set itself. Why make a deal now when players will likely become available to make room for some of the RFA's? So it's a stalemate until the market breaks. There are no rules you need to carry 23 players all season. In fact, 22 makes more sense for banking cap dollars.

I just think the moves above would be best for the team. It's not ideal. But it's the climate of the league. At this stage, the idea is to win a cup this season. But they've never started the season the same as they've ended the season. You have to prioritize your assets and protect them.

There is one other move that would benefit the team more. And that's waiving JJ and having him claimed. If he's not claimed, they'll keep him on the big club. But JJ's reputation among execs isn't anywhere near what it is on these boards. He still brings perceived value in the minds of many. Blocked shots. Hits. PK. And ridicule him all you like, by most accounts he brings stellar character. A commodity often valued by team's with a young D corps. It's unlikely, but we have no idea what JR was looking for in terms of a trade. He did make the statement that he wasn't going to make a trade for the sake of making a trade. JJ's cap hit is palatable. The term is the problem. If somebody feels they can live with it, especially as the buyout becomes friendlier, they may take a chance. If not, it's still worth a try.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 pm

There is quite a big difference, though, in the larger league waiting game on RFAs versus the Penguins situation.

Toronto, Winnipeg, Boston, Calgary, Colorado, Philly.....these guys are still heavily involved in negotiations with their RFAs. Their RFAs are all much higher tier players than Marcus Pettersson, and, in 90% of the cases, these teams have the cap space available right now to sign their players.

There are currently 16 RFAs left in the league. The main ones, Marner, Boeser, Rantanen, Tkachuk, Laine, Connor, McAvoy, Carlo, Provorov, Konecny, and Point. That's 11 guys. The respective teams have left enough cap space to sign these guys, with the exception being some of these guys asking for way more than they should be. But in general, these teams planned ahead and left the cap space there to sign them. Now it is just to finalize the negotiations in agreement.

Those are the top tier guys. The remaining 5 are Anthony DeAngelo, Julius Honka, Saku Maenalanen, Andre Mangiapane, and Marcus Pettersson.
---if DeAngelo is looking for more than 1M, the Rangers would be over the cap, however, they show 14 forwards, 4 of which have waiver exemption.
---Dallas has just under 1M available. I'm not sure what their goal is with Honka. He's been in trade talks a few times, and hasn't done much to get a 1M plus deal.
---Mangiapane is stuck waiting on Tkachuk. CGY has 7M in cap space, but the majority of that should be going to Tkachuk.
---Carolina is well over the cap after signing Gardiner. That's a relatively new problem for them. They did have the cap space, and Carolina officially sits at 24 on the roster, over that roster limit as well. I don't know what their plan is for Maenalanen.
---You then have Pettersson. The Penguins have no cap space. The Penguins have no players that have waiver exemption on the NHL roster.
***Out of these 5 lesser players, Pettersson and DeAngelo are the two bigger names in this grouping. The other 3, I don't even think are guaranteed an NHL roster spot.

Out of all these teams with RFAs, Pittsburgh is in the worst position in regards to the cap and its available options. And by all accounts, the Penguins already know the $/term of 2 potential Pettersson scenarios, and it has been agreed upon. They just don't have the cap means to pull the trigger on either scenario.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins