Trade Idea?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Trade Idea?

Postby Hatrick on Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:22 pm

Jim wrote:Pettersson signed the exact contract that he should have this summer. He had shown nothing to deserve a big deal. He signed the equivalent of his QO, which he should have done the day the QO was extended.

If the "agreement" was the QO and then a $N*Y contract... he would already have signed the extension deal.

exactly, he got a fair one year deal. Any already agreed upon deal should have already been in place if that was the case, so since its not, any deal coming this summer should be a reflection of what he deserves now, which sure as **** aint anywhere close to 4million per year. Half that would be fair. Term I would be fine with however many years, but 4million for any amount of years would be a stupidly awful deal on GMJRs part.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:46 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Maestro wrote:
largegarlic wrote:Yohe also said that Rutherford still likes Zucker and knows that Rutherford and Guerin have been talking about him.

Add Michael Russo and Elliotte Friedman to the Zucker rumor interest.

That's a lot of chatter.

What would you offer for Zucker?

2020 1st, Galchenyuk, and ???

I would imagine BG would be very interested in Bjorkqvist.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Maestro wrote:
largegarlic wrote:Yohe also said that Rutherford still likes Zucker and knows that Rutherford and Guerin have been talking about him.

Add Michael Russo and Elliotte Friedman to the Zucker rumor interest.

That's a lot of chatter.

What would you offer for Zucker?

2020 1st, Galchenyuk, and ???

I would imagine BG would be very interested in Bjorkqvist.

Bjorkqvist could be the prospect, i think it depends on whether we want them to retain any of Zucker’s cap hit. They might want a better prospect if they retain salary.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:50 pm

Jim wrote:Pettersson signed the exact contract that he should have this summer. He had shown nothing to deserve a big deal. He signed the equivalent of his QO, which he should have done the day the QO was extended.

If the "agreement" was the QO and then a $N*Y contract... he would already have signed the extension deal.

If I had my way, I'd sign Pettersson for 2 years with about 2.75M AAV. Hes still young and plenty of time to get a big contract. He played well the year acquired. This year, I'm not sure anybody could legitimately argue he has played better.

My fear is GMJR is a man of his word and feels obligated to sign him to a long term, more expensive deal that was likely verbally agreed to but not signed because of the cap issue.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:00 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

If I had my way, I'd sign Pettersson for 2 years with about 2.75M AAV. Hes still young and plenty of time to get a big contract. He played well the year acquired. This year, I'm not sure anybody could legitimately argue he has played better.

My fear is GMJR is a man of his word and feels obligated to sign him to a long term, more expensive deal that was likely verbally agreed to but not signed because of the cap issue.

If that long term deal was really agreed to, you would think it would have been signed and announced by now.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:34 pm

Even GMJR aint that nuts, come on guys! He didnt offer Pettersson 4M per year and wont offer that.. Stop with the stupidity! Max contract I can imagine offered was up to 2.75M. The guy is still young and has a lot to prove.. He will get his bigger paycheck, when he will deserve it.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:50 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Even GMJR aint that nuts, come on guys! He didnt offer Pettersson 4M per year and wont offer that.. Stop with the stupidity! Max contract I can imagine offered was up to 2.75M. The guy is still young and has a lot to prove.. He will get his bigger paycheck, when he will deserve it.

The problem is, GMJR stated multiple times he wanted to sign Pettersson to a long-term deal. Players aren't going to sign long-term deals on the cheap. I cannot see Pettersson signing a 2.75M for 4 or more years. If the AAV is on the lower end, like 2.75M, then the player would want a shorter deal, prove their worth, then again look for a bigger payday.

That's the issue.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:47 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Even GMJR aint that nuts, come on guys! He didnt offer Pettersson 4M per year and wont offer that.. Stop with the stupidity! Max contract I can imagine offered was up to 2.75M. The guy is still young and has a lot to prove.. He will get his bigger paycheck, when he will deserve it.

The problem is, GMJR stated multiple times he wanted to sign Pettersson to a long-term deal. Players aren't going to sign long-term deals on the cheap. I cannot see Pettersson signing a 2.75M for 4 or more years. If the AAV is on the lower end, like 2.75M, then the player would want a shorter deal, prove their worth, then again look for a bigger payday.

That's the issue.

Exactly. Many complained about Dumo's contract when it was signed. Too high of a cap hit. Without understanding he was giving up four years of UFA status. If the contract would have been a two or three year bridge deal, Dumo would have been a UFA either last summer or this summer. Does anybody believe he'd sign anywhere close to that $4.1M cap number?

Deals aren't done in a vacuum. The market is set by the climate of the league. And projecting future value. I don't want them to sign MP for $4M. But getting a replacement for less isn't as easy as you might think. Remember Hunwick? Agents and GM's are both well aware of what the player's value would be league wide. And arbitration is available to settle disputes. Which is based on comparables. Calgary's Andersson is sure to be included on MP's side. That is a choice the Pens can make. Simply allow MP to go to arbitration this summer. How do you think that would turn out?
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:02 pm

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

That's the issue.

Exactly. Many complained about Dumo's contract when it was signed. Too high of a cap hit. Without understanding he was giving up four years of UFA status. If the contract would have been a two or three year bridge deal, Dumo would have been a UFA either last summer or this summer. Does anybody believe he'd sign anywhere close to that $4.1M cap number?

Deals aren't done in a vacuum. The market is set by the climate of the league. And projecting future value. I don't want them to sign MP for $4M. But getting a replacement for less isn't as easy as you might think. Remember Hunwick? Agents and GM's are both well aware of what the player's value would be league wide. And arbitration is available to settle disputes. Which is based on comparables. Calgary's Andersson is sure to be included on MP's side. That is a choice the Pens can make. Simply allow MP to go to arbitration this summer. How do you think that would turn out?

No questioning your logic. I would hope whatever deal they make is a rather short term one, 3 years max, just to protect them in case his game continues to regress. Its probably going to cost them close to 4 million per season based on what the Calgary guy signed for in his deal.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:37 pm

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

That's the issue.

while I wasn't on this forum at the time, I don't remember anybody complaining about the contract for Dumo. People might not have thought it was much of a bargain but I don't think many complained about it.

Also some key differences, Dumo was not the sixth defenseman on the team at the time like Pettersson is now. Dumo also had another year in the league at the time as he signed a two year contract before the six year deal. Bridge deals that only take RFA years are way cheaper than buying out UFA years, but when somebody hasn't proven anything yet, a bridge deal might be more appropriate, especially if the alternative is 4million a year.

And yes it should be easy to get a bottom pairing defenseman for cheaper than 4million a year.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:26 pm

Hatrick wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

That's the issue.

while I wasn't on this forum at the time, I don't remember anybody complaining about the contract for Dumo. People might not have thought it was much of a bargain but I don't think many complained about it.

Also some key differences, Dumo was not the sixth defenseman on the team at the time like Pettersson is now. Dumo also had another year in the league at the time as he signed a two year contract before the six year deal. Bridge deals that only take RFA years are way cheaper than buying out UFA years, but when somebody hasn't proven anything yet, a bridge deal might be more appropriate, especially if the alternative is 4million a year.

And yes it should be easy to get a bottom pairing defenseman for cheaper than 4million a year.

I think Dumo was basically a middle pairing guy whenever he signed his contract. He had been steady, and was showing signs of improving.
I my view, people had more of an issue with Maatta contract. He played so well under Bylsma, but, I don't know if it was the change in system, or the injuries catching up to him, that he just went downhill fast. Maatta is the standard of showing that, 1, even 2 years of solid play doesn't mean he's a great player, or, things can happen to change that. GMJR basically gambled that Maatta would continue to improve, and that in the last 3 years, 4M AAV would be a bargain. He lost that bet. He won the bet with the Dumo deal.

If he gives another 4M AAV deal to Pettersson, I have a feeling that is another he will lose. And as I write this, I know I have been very high on John Marino, but, these scenarios are exactly why we need to have some tempered expectations. I think he will be fine, and I'm glad we have him for cheap for another year. But we need to see more games before determining he can play at this level consistently, season after season.

This is a growing problem within the NHL, not just with the Penguins. Guys are good top 4, top 9 players coming off their ELCs, and the growing trend is no bridge deal....straight to big money deals at age 23-24ish, and maybe 50 percent of them work out.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:01 pm

Hatrick wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

That's the issue.

It's not hard to verify. Just go back on the boards to July/August 2017, which I did. IF you think it's easy to find a cheap and competent bottom pair dman, please give examples. A young guy will cost assets, a UFA will cost you more. And again, how much do you think he'll receive in arbitration? They can do that.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

That's the issue.

I think Dumo was basically a middle pairing guy whenever he signed his contract. He had been steady, and was showing signs of improving.
I my view, people had more of an issue with Maatta contract. He played so well under Bylsma, but, I don't know if it was the change in system, or the injuries catching up to him, that he just went downhill fast. Maatta is the standard of showing that, 1, even 2 years of solid play doesn't mean he's a great player, or, things can happen to change that. GMJR basically gambled that Maatta would continue to improve, and that in the last 3 years, 4M AAV would be a bargain. He lost that bet. He won the bet with the Dumo deal.

If he gives another 4M AAV deal to Pettersson, I have a feeling that is another he will lose. And as I write this, I know I have been very high on John Marino, but, these scenarios are exactly why we need to have some tempered expectations. I think he will be fine, and I'm glad we have him for cheap for another year. But we need to see more games before determining he can play at this level consistently, season after season.

This is a growing problem within the NHL, not just with the Penguins. Guys are good top 4, top 9 players coming off their ELCs, and the growing trend is no bridge deal....straight to big money deals at age 23-24ish, and maybe 50 percent of them work out.

Again, go back and see what was said. I did. People were surprised by the numbers, expecting Dumo to get maybe $3M. Not everyone complained, but several did. You can't really say he was viewed as a middle pair guy, since he had played on the top pair through both playoff runs. Conventional wisdom was that he didn't bring enough offense to warrant big $$$. In terms of Maata, there's no question they thought he'd develop further than he did. But it's also true that his contract didn't cause them a lot of trouble in terms of moving it. He brought good value in Kahun and a pick. No salary was eaten. You say you're concerned that MP may be a mistake, and you may well be right. But it is the direction of things. You have to project.

You're right, it is a growing problem in the NHL, although it's a management issue, not a player issue. Look back to last summer and look at the number of RFA's that didn't sign until the last minute. The player's and agents figured that they should be compensated for expected future production rather than past production. Which actually makes a lot of sense. Teams are paying guys ridiculous amounts well into their 30's when they're depreciating assets. If the younger guys are more productive, they have a legitimate gripe. NHL salaries shouldn't be based on seniority.

Arbitration was put into place in order to avoid the impasse, and to make certain players are paid commensurate to their league value. It's how it's set up. Like I said earlier, if the two sides can't come together and they end up in arbitration, what do you think his reward would be? I suspect your 50% estimate of deals not working out is arbitrary, but the question can also be turned around. How many of the big contracts to UFA's work out? Does it make sense to pay guys like Parise and Suter over $7.5M for each of the next five years? How about Seabrook's deal in Chicago, or Dustin Brown's in LA?

I have no idea how the MP situation will turn out. I remember when there was a debate of whether they should move Guentzel or Sheary. A lot were unhappy with Sheary's deal, but many also praised it. At the time. They just seemed to forget. The deal Rust was given seemed outrageous as recently as this past summer. The point being no one has a crystal ball. And the people doing the projections put their livelihoods on the line. But the trend says they're going to have to project. It's hard to blame the guys coming off their ELC's. Especially when they see teammates getting outrageous deals that dwarf their own without nearly the same production level.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:22 am

longtimefan wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

That's the issue.

It's not hard to verify. Just go back on the boards to July/August 2017, which I did. If you think it's easy to find a cheap and competent bottom pair dman, please give examples. Also keep in mind that you may project MP as a bottom pair dman, but they don't. A young guy will cost assets, a UFA will cost you more. Ron Hainsey signed for $3.5M at age 38. Granted, it's not $4M. But at 38?
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:17 am

If we could get Zucker for Galchenyuk, pick and prospect. (Not top rated) then I would be all over that.

I could see why we wouldn’t want to move Bjugstad now because that leaves 3C open.

Replacing Galchenyuk with a better option without having to trade much or anything else off the current roster is the way to go. If possible...

Then deal with Bjugstad, Murray, Schultz in the off season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:47 am

KG wrote:
I could see why we wouldn’t want to move Bjugstad now because that leaves 3C open.

In Bjugstad's 10 games we were 5-3 with 2 OT losses. Since then, the Pens are 26-11-3. I think they can get by without Bjugs at 3C.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:55 am

ville5 wrote:
KG wrote:

In Bjugstad's 10 games we were 5-3 with 2 OT losses. Since then, the Pens are 26-11-3. I think they can get by without Bjugs at 3C.

The problem is we're short at wing with Guentzel going down to injury. If you trade Bjugstad and we move McCann from.wing to Center in order to acquire Zucker or whoever, we're still short at wing. That's using an assumption that both Simon and Kahun are good enough to play in the top six. Better to deal with Bjugstad if you must after the season.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:03 pm

ville5 wrote:
KG wrote:

going by that logic we had a good record without Sid so they can get by without him at 1C.

If you move Bjugstad for a winger than your only real option is to fill that spot with McCann. which creates another hole at wing that you were trying to fill.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:08 pm

longtimefan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
Hatrick wrote:while I wasn't on this forum at the time, I don't remember anybody complaining about the contract for Dumo. People might not have thought it was much of a bargain but I don't think many complained about it.

It's not hard to verify. Just go back on the boards to July/August 2017, which I did. If you think it's easy to find a cheap and competent bottom pair dman, please give examples. Also keep in mind that you may project MP as a bottom pair dman, but they don't. A young guy will cost assets, a UFA will cost you more. Ron Hainsey signed for $3.5M at age 38. Granted, it's not $4M. But at 38?

Johnson has outplayed Pettersson and only makes 3.25, of course you HOPE he plays better going forward since he is still young but that alone isn't justification for paying somebody 4million. And you said it yourself, a UFA costs more money, why should we pay a RFA UFA money when he hasn't shown that he can earn that money.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:26 pm

KG wrote:If we could get Zucker for Galchenyuk, pick and prospect. (Not top rated) then I would be all over that.

Replacing Galchenyuk with a better option without having to trade much or anything else off the current roster is the way to go. If possible...

Then deal with Bjugstad, Murray, Schultz in the off season.

Gotta look at it from the Wild side (great, now have a motley crue song stuck in my head). Zucker is one of their best wingers. Not saying hes anywhere near Guentzel level, but, if the Wild are moving him, they need to get SOMETHING back of value. Galchenyuk is minimal value. His biggest asset to the Wild is it is an expiring contract. If Galchenyuk is the player, I've got to think either a top prospect or a 1st rounder goes the other way. Otherwise there is no driver for the Wild to make a deal.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Hatrick wrote:
ville5 wrote:
KG wrote:

going by that logic we had a good record without Sid so they can get by without him at 1C.

If you move Bjugstad for a winger than your only real option is to fill that spot with McCann. which creates another hole at wing that you were trying to fill.

Yeah cause Sid and Bjugs have the same impact on games.
McCann has already played a bunch of center so you wouldn't be creating another hole. And if Zucker or someone else is brought in, your lineup is intact.
It's a moot point anyway. I doubt GMJR moves Bjugstad.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:23 pm

I’ll bet when MP finally leaves it won’t take long to forget he was here. It’s an easy scenario, if you can get him signed for 3-4 at 2.75 AAV, u sign him, and if he wants more, just move on.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:I’ll bet when MP finally leaves it won’t take long to forget he was here. It’s an easy scenario, if you can get him signed for 3-4 at 2.75 AAV, u sign him, and if he wants more, just move on.

Let me start this off by saying I'm not a big Pettersson fan, but it doesn't make any sense to say just move on from him when you have zero prospects in WBS who can assume that role, and any UFA who has a pulse is going to cost you much more than 2.75 AAV. Now there could be a trade in which you move him, and another piece (Murray) at the end of the season that get you an upgrade but that's much different than just moving on from the guy.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:36 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:I’ll bet when MP finally leaves it won’t take long to forget he was here. It’s an easy scenario, if you can get him signed for 3-4 at 2.75 AAV, u sign him, and if he wants more, just move on.

Let me start this off by saying I'm not a big Pettersson fan, but it doesn't make any sense to say just move on from him when you have zero prospects in WBS who can assume that role, and any UFA who has a pulse is going to cost you much more than 2.75 AAV. Now there could be a trade in which you move him, and another piece (Murray) at the end of the season that get you an upgrade but that's much different than just moving on from the guy.

Riikola
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:43 pm

Maestro wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Riikola

Yeah he is cheaper, not sure that he's an upgrade or even an equivalent to Pettersson. He's one of those guys who can fill in for a few weeks, but will be exposed when the games ready matter.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins