2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 pm

Or maybe Murray and JJ are going to buffalo for staal and D man.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:42 pm

FLPensFan wrote:What would we give Minnesota for Staal? Probably would have taken Jared McCann, and, although I am not against moving McCann....24 year old McCann for 1 year rental of 35 year old Staal would not be high on my list.

I think Murray could have been the main piece not McCann but Minnesota would have had to add.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:44 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Joel Edmonson signs 4 year, 3.5M AAV contract with Montreal.

I really like that deal. I like him more than Pettersson and he's cheaper
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:55 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Joel Edmonson signs 4 year, 3.5M AAV contract with Montreal.

With a 10 team modified NTC. :lol:
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:12 pm

Not sure what the benefit is to Edmundson signing this deal now . Would think he could get more then that on the open market....
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:47 pm

KG wrote:Not sure what the benefit is to Edmundson signing this deal now . Would think he could get more then that on the open market....

It's likely a sign of things to come. Players will have to take less in the current climate. Especially the mid tier and lower tier free agents. His agent is aware of this as well.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:51 pm

KG wrote:Not sure what the benefit is to Edmundson signing this deal now . Would think he could get more then that on the open market....

Maybe he's a Habs fan?
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 pm

neal mchale

@nealmchale

Pierre LeBrun on TSN1040: "One rumor that's always been out there has been that if (Eric) Staal got traded, he was going to just retire"

6:15 PM · Sep 16, 2020
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby longtimefan on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:BUF Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal trade has apparently gone down. Guerin still out here dealin.

Staal to the Sabres huh?? Guess he didn’t have a NTC....

Both Staal and Johnansson had modified NTCs, where they had to submit 10 team no trade list. So Staal would have had to included them. Guessing maybe proximity to home (Thunder Bay) kept them off his no-trade list?

Wild take on 1.25M more in salary. Both players are UFAs at season's end. Expect a few more big trades out of Guerin, as they are going to be up against the cap with the Brodin signing.

Moving forward, yes. For this season, Brodin's new deal isn't a factor since it's not effective until '21-'22.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cim2217 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:29 pm

longtimefan wrote:

It's likely a sign of things to come. Players will have to take less in the current climate. Especially the mid tier and lower tier free agents. His agent is aware of this as well.

Exactly, if GMJR can open up more cap space, we could get some bargains that can be difference makers outside of the big boys (Hall/Pietrangelo etc) who will still cash in.
Cim2217
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 pm

Cim2217 wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

Exactly, if GMJR can open up more cap space, we could get some bargains that can be difference makers outside of the big boys (Hall/Pietrangelo etc) who will still cash in.

Rutherford and every other GM in the NHL is trying to open up cap space
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:36 pm

ville5 wrote:neal mchale

@nealmchale

Pierre LeBrun on TSN1040: "One rumor that's always been out there has been that if (Eric) Staal got traded, he was going to just retire"

6:15 PM · Sep 16, 2020

Since he wasn't 35 when he signed, I believe his cap hit disappears if he retires, although I'm not 100% sure. If so, Guerin picks up another short term option and Buffalo clears cap space. Perhaps Billy G was aware of Staal's desire to retire, and he chose to use that to his favor. Although I'm not sure why he wouldn't just keep the cap space though.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Or maybe Murray and JJ are going to buffalo for staal and D man.

THIS could be a very prophetic quote.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:38 pm

KG wrote:https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/09/rumor-marc-andre-fleury-has-submitted.html?m=1

10 team no trade list reportedly submitted by MAF...

Please don't go berserk, as I understand this is as far out of right field as you can get. But with the current situation, I expect a lot of creativity.

It's obvious that MAF's days in Vegas are numbered. A 10 team no trade clause still leaves 21 teams as options. I'm sure MAF and his agent will want to manipulate it as much as possible. Like putting as many teams as possible on the list that are in the market for a goalie.

For instance. Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Carolina, Colorado, Minnesota, Nashville, Philadelphia, LA, and Washington. Some of those teams aren't even in the market. I don't see teams like NJ, Detroit, or Ottawa being interested because of his age and their position in their rebuilds. Have I left anybody out? Realistically, Colorado may be a place he'd like to go, so this scenario isn't likely.

But if he were to do so, he could handcuff the VGK. A buyout would cost them over $2.5 M next season, over $3.0M in year two, and over $2M the following two seasons. Retaining salary for two seasons may make more sense. The Pens window is widely believed to be 2 years, and they seem to be taking a future be damned approach. The pandemic has played havoc with their plans, as well as a great many other team's plans. I don't think anybody will dispute that MAF performed spectacularly in his first season out west. He had a chip on his shoulder. He was still good in his 2nd season, appearing in 61 games, and just so so this season. Which is one of the issues signing a goalie for long term and big money. It's a wildly inconsistent position. As far as his age, it's important to keep in mind that Tim Thomas won both the Conn Smythe and Cup at age 37. It's not unprecedented.

So, following up on my fantasy scenario, we know the Pens will likely keep Jarry and trade Murray. Which isn't ideal since Jarry is eligible to be a UFA after two more seasons. Plus, he may well command $4M this season, even under the circumstances. Regardless, Jarry will either end up being moved or backstopping a rebuilding team. He's also still largely unproven.

If the Pens were to take a leap of faith, and continue down the future be damned road, could they move both Jarry and Murray and trade for MAF with 50% retained, locking him in for two seasons at $3.5M? They'd also glean any benefit available in the way of assets for Murray and Jarry. Be it young roster players, picks, prospects, or cap space. The cap hit would fit.

Like I said, it's likely pure fantasy. MAF is a gamble at his age. But goalies can play at a high level past age 35. He needs 23 wins to become the 3rd winningest goalie in NHL history. He'd also have a major chip on his shoulder. Like his 1st year in Vegas. He's not a player who makes them younger, but I do believe he'd pump some life into that dressing room.

I know, pure fantasy. But..... :D these are very unique times. My full expectation is they keep Jarry and move Murray. This does put a damper on any Murray to Colorado scenario, as I believe the Avs would be very interested in Fleury with salary retained. Of course, that would involve trading him to one of your chief rivals for supremacy in the West. There's so many things to consider.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:54 pm

longtimefan wrote:
KG wrote:https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/09/rumor-marc-andre-fleury-has-submitted.html?m=1

Please don't go berserk, as I understand this is as far out of right field as you can get. But with the current situation, I expect a lot of creativity.

It's obvious that MAF's days in Vegas are numbered. A 10 team no trade clause still leaves 21 teams as options. I'm sure MAF and his agent will want to manipulate it as much as possible. Like putting as many teams as possible on the list that are in the market for a goalie.

For instance. Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Carolina, Colorado, Minnesota, Nashville, Philadelphia, LA, and Washington. Some of those teams aren't even in the market. I don't see teams like NJ, Detroit, or Ottawa being interested because of his age and their position in their rebuilds. Have I left anybody out? Realistically, Colorado may be a place he'd like to go, so this scenario isn't likely.

But if he were to do so, he could handcuff the VGK. A buyout would cost them over $2.5 M next season, over $3.0M in year two, and over $2M the following two seasons. Retaining salary for two seasons may make more sense. The Pens window is widely believed to be 2 years, and they seem to be taking a future be damned approach. The pandemic has played havoc with their plans, as well as a great many other team's plans. I don't think anybody will dispute that MAF performed spectacularly in his first season out west. He had a chip on his shoulder. He was still good in his 2nd season, appearing in 61 games, and just so so this season. Which is one of the issues signing a goalie for long term and big money. It's a wildly inconsistent position. As far as his age, it's important to keep in mind that Tim Thomas won both the Conn Smythe and Cup at age 37. It's not unprecedented.

So, following up on my fantasy scenario, we know the Pens will likely keep Jarry and trade Murray. Which isn't ideal since Jarry is eligible to be a UFA after two more seasons. Plus, he may well command $4M this season, even under the circumstances. Regardless, Jarry will either end up being moved or backstopping a rebuilding team. He's also still largely unproven.

If the Pens were to take a leap of faith, and continue down the future be damned road, could they move both Jarry and Murray and trade for MAF with 50% retained, locking him in for two seasons at $3.5M? They'd also glean any benefit available in the way of assets for Murray and Jarry. Be it young roster players, picks, prospects, or cap space. The cap hit would fit.

Like I said, it's likely pure fantasy. MAF is a gamble at his age. But goalies can play at a high level past age 35. He needs 23 wins to become the 3rd winningest goalie in NHL history. He'd also have a major chip on his shoulder. Like his 1st year in Vegas. He's not a player who makes them younger, but I do believe he'd pump some life into that dressing room.

I know, pure fantasy. But..... :D these are very unique times. My full expectation is they keep Jarry and move Murray. This does put a damper on any Murray to Colorado scenario, as I believe the Avs would be very interested in Fleury with salary retained. Of course, that would involve trading him to one of your chief rivals for supremacy in the West. There's so many things to consider.

The issue is still cap space. 9M goes down to 5.5M then you still need to sign McCann, a 3C and Lafferty, Simon, ect

I cant see trading Murray and Jarry for futures
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:37 pm

So, I know this isn't a Wild board or post, but, if anyone is looking for updates on what might be available, Mike Russo had a piece tonight talking about the Wild:

--While Guerin publicly continues to say the Wild like their defense and don't feel a need to rush a move, lots of teams are calling. Teams know that Suter, Brodin, and Spurgeon all have NMCs and must be protected, while Dumba does not. Some of the "possible deals" thrown around:
---->Sean Monahan for Dumba
---->Something around Laine, Ehlers, or Roslovic for Dumba
---->Boeser for Dumba
---->Says Tampa and Toronto should also be interested.

--Russo says there are very few untouchables right now on the Wild, saying even Parise (has a NMC), Dubnyk, Donato, Kunin, or Greenway could be had for the right price.

--Says Staal was shocked that he was traded. Also says unofficially, Koivu will not be resigned. Officially, Guerin told Galchenyuk's agent they won't bring him back.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:18 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

The issue is still cap space. 9M goes down to 5.5M then you still need to sign McCann, a 3C and Lafferty, Simon, ect

I said it was fantasy, but cap space wouldn't be the issue. It would improve things. Fleury would come in at $3.5M. Jarry may lost more. That's the only exchange.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:17 am

I started out looking for information on Eric Staal, and it backs up what FlPensFan mentioned above. Staal was shocked. It also mentions he may consider retirement.

https://www.thedailygoalhorn.com/eric-s ... o-buffalo/

Staal who is 35 years-old was in shock by the trade and there is speculation this could lead to his retirement.

If that's the case, Buffalo may try to shuffle him elsewhere if he's agreeable. They'd have virtually no leverage. That would be a blow as a 2C is seen as a priority in Buffalo. Such a move would not do much to placate Eichel's concerns if he retires. My guess is they saw him as a nice mentor. However, it would clear cap space.

The reasoning from Guerin's interest was put this way.

We have another trade to add to this unique offseason as the Stanley Cup Final hasn’t even been set yet. The Minnesota Wild in a quest to get a younger by any means necessary, traded Eric Staal to the Buffalo Sabres.

As I read on, it took me to a copy of previous articles on the same site. Which back up a lot of what we've been discussing.

https://www.thedailygoalhorn.com/nhl-ru ... -and-more/

Another report has Marc-Andre Fleury submitting his 10 team no-trade list to the Vegas Golden Knights. Things have been tumultuous to say the least in these playoffs with MAF’s agent, Allan Walsh tweeting a photo of the goalie with a sword in his back and the name DeBoer on the handle.

TSN’s Darren Dreger believes Walsh, may include suitors on that list that would have interest thus making it harder for Vegas to trade him. This will be an interesting storyline to follow.

There is no love lost between the Fleury camp and Vegas. Walsh is going to make this as difficult as possible.

A third article:

https://www.thedailygoalhorn.com/nhl-fr ... d-be-wild/

The Headline:
Get ready for a wild offseason as the market is expected to be flooded with both UFAs and RFAs

“The market will be flooded with players,” was how one team executive framed the NHL offseason landscape to me. “There is nothing normal about this year,” and it seems like most teams are figuring it out as it develops.

That’s because of many factors thanks to the impacts of COVID-19 to the league. From the obvious delay in resuming and completing this season, to the financial hardships many will experience. All teams are dealing with a flat cap of $81.5 million but news around the NHL is that some teams are self imposing internal caps at $70 million.

Yesterday, I spoke with Mike Liut, former Hartford Whalers goaltender and agent. When asked about Rangers RFA, Alexandar Georgiev he said they haven’t discussed a new contract. “I have not had any discussions with the Rangers as of yet,” Liut relayed via email.

He then let me know that talks were expected to start later this week or next. This was inline with what Ryan Strome’s agent told me as well almost two weeks ago.

What is going on with the Rangers is happening with every team around the NHL. Over in St. Louis, Alex Pietrangelo is frustrated with the lack of talks too. “It’s been a little disappointing that we haven’t been able to get a deal done, obviously,” Pietrangelo told Pierre LeBrun. “But this is the situation that we’re in, we’re over three weeks away from Oct. 9 and there hasn’t been much in terms of progress.”

When talking with the team executive, I naturally assumed that this meant more buyouts due to cap issues. This would increase the UFA market, but a late report by both Pierre Lebrun and Darren Dreger suggested otherwise. According to the insiders, we may see a lot of RFA’s on the market too.

Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
This is going to be an interesting process. Teams are sorting through this now...projecting arb cases, gauging trade interest in some RFA’s, and deciding whether to qualify or let a player go free.

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
FYI for those wondering: Clubs have until 5 p.m. ET on Oct. 7 to submit Qualifying Offers to their respective RFAs. Which those RFAs can begin signing as of noon ET Oct. 9. Those Qualifying Offers expire at 5 p.m. ET on Oct. 18.

Upon reading this information, I followed up and was told that the opening bell of free agency will be wild. “If you’re an agent, you want to strike in those first few hours,” the exec explained. “It will really grind to a halt on day two.”

Teams are going into free agency with a plan and a budget. The unknown for them is just what RFA’s aren’t getting qualifying offers. That alone is going to throw every team’s plans out the door, come October 7th.

If you love Free Agent Frenzy, then put your request in for some time off at work. The ride this offseason could be the wildest day in NHL history.

As I've said several times, wait to see how things play out before skewering JR. I suspect this is why he's trying to clear enough salary to be a player. It also suggests that after day one there will be a lot of bargains looking for jobs.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:24 am

longtimefan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

I said it was fantasy, but cap space wouldn't be the issue. It would improve things. Fleury would come in at $3.5M. Jarry may lost more. That's the only exchange.

definitely pure fantasy but I would love if that happened. I think jarry probably should get around 3.5mil so its a wash salary wise(although the contract Columbus gave Elvis might increase the price for jarry given they are very comparable). And they would get more assets in trading jarry and murray than they would have to give up to get fleury. So those extra assets they could put back into getting a center and another defenseman.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:37 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Outside of Ottawa I can't think of a team able to take on Murray and JJ

If interested, Detroit certainly. Possibly Buffalo. The Kings could be a darkhorse. They do have Quick with a cap hit of $5.8M for three more seasons, but he's 35 in January and has struggled the last couple of seasons. They also have the cap room, and may be looking to move on from Quick on a team not close to contention. It all depends on if any of them see Murray as their answer on rebuilding teams.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:51 am

Hatrick wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

definitely pure fantasy but I would love if that happened. I think jarry probably should get around 3.5mil so its a wash salary wise(although the contract Columbus gave Elvis might increase the price for jarry given they are very comparable). And they would get more assets in trading jarry and murray than they would have to give up to get fleury. So those extra assets they could put back into getting a center and another defenseman.

Which is the point. If you assume Jarry is going to end up at $3.5M-$4.0M, taking on MAF for the same or less will not affect your cap position, and would give you two good assets to move. Be it roster players, prospects, picks, or cap space to play in free agency. You will get more in return than Vegas will be able to demand if Fleury and Walsh handcuff them. Coincidently, I posted this above after I had written the post.

Another report has Marc-Andre Fleury submitting his 10 team no-trade list to the Vegas Golden Knights. Things have been tumultuous to say the least in these playoffs with MAF’s agent, Allan Walsh tweeting a photo of the goalie with a sword in his back and the name DeBoer on the handle.

TSN’s Darren Dreger believes Walsh, may include suitors on that list that would have interest thus making it harder for Vegas to trade him. This will be an interesting storyline to follow.

So as far as handcuffing Vegas, it would appear to be part of the plan. Still, just fantasy. But gives me at least a moment of pause.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:55 am

Some one made a point that since next season could be a 82 game season played in a smaller window (shorter time span) and there could be a lot more back to back games for every team in the league. Having a better back up goalie could be the difference in making the playoffs. The 50\30 split or even the 40\40 split for the starter an back up will be important. This might make the goalie market heat up. with so many vets making big money and cap strapped teams will make things interesting.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:44 am

Craig Custance of the Athletic has a 22 big name player trade list published, and currently has Murray at #4 behind Laine, OEL, and Dumba. Here was what was said on Murray:

4. Matt Murray, Pittsburgh Penguins: There’s no doubt Murray struggled this year, and he has a .909 save percentage over the last three regular seasons. That takes the shine off a goalie who had two Stanley Cups before he was 23. But we all know hockey executives love goalies who have proven they can win under the highest stakes. “You like the fact that he’s won two Cups,” said an exec. “You’d have to hope there’s a return to that.” A team like Edmonton might make sense here but signability is key. If he’s willing to take a short-term deal to rebuild his value, the options open up. If he wants, say, John Gibson money ($6.4 million per) it’ll make finding a fit more challenging.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:04 am

FLPensFan wrote:Craig Custance of the Athletic has a 22 big name player trade list published, and currently has Murray at #4 behind Laine, OEL, and Dumba. Here was what was said on Murray:

4. Matt Murray, Pittsburgh Penguins: There’s no doubt Murray struggled this year, and he has a .909 save percentage over the last three regular seasons. That takes the shine off a goalie who had two Stanley Cups before he was 23. But we all know hockey executives love goalies who have proven they can win under the highest stakes. “You like the fact that he’s won two Cups,” said an exec. “You’d have to hope there’s a return to that.” A team like Edmonton might make sense here but signability is key. If he’s willing to take a short-term deal to rebuild his value, the options open up. If he wants, say, John Gibson money ($6.4 million per) it’ll make finding a fit more challenging.

How does that work, I can't imagine Rutherford will let Murray's reps talk to a potential suitor about a deal while he's still Pens property. Seems like teams are flying blind on what Murray's contract demands are now.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:37 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Craig Custance of the Athletic has a 22 big name player trade list published, and currently has Murray at #4 behind Laine, OEL, and Dumba. Here was what was said on Murray:

How does that work, I can't imagine Rutherford will let Murray's reps talk to a potential suitor about a deal while he's still Pens property. Seems like teams are flying blind on what Murray's contract demands are now.

Why would you think that? If the Penguins are set on trading him, I would absolutely expect Rutherford to allow potential trade partner to talk to Murray's agent. I would imagine a deal in principle would be worked out between two teams, and at that point, the acquiring team would be able to have some conversations with the agent about what the team is thinking on salary and contract. If they are in a similar neighborhood, the deal gets done.

I think without that, a deal is almost impossible to get done, unless an acquiring team is willing to just acquire Murray, and be willing to accept an arbitration award if a deal can't be worked out.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins