2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby GSdrums87 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:15 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
mayday56 wrote:wow all you keyboard GM's..step back from the ledge.put away your charts and slide rules.just know these signing are very low risk. could be high reward. we got a couple of new assistant coaches who might be able to do some good for these new guys. Maybe Jr tried to sign the guys that all of you so call experts on here thought he should sign and they didnt want to come here for one reason or another. Maybe Mario and Burkle didnt want certain people how the hell do you know what GMJR is dealing with?the luxury tax /salary cap made it so they had to disclose salaries. being a fan was so much better when you didnt know how much players made. then we just talked about the sport itself not about the GM's.I dont know what all you self proclaimed hockey experts would do if you couldnt talk about all the sh*t that isnt hockey.

Right, I forgot, all of our coaches are better than everyone else’s coaches. Hence the early exits lately. Or the one that just came over after being fired.

Right, because you post on here like you honest-to-God believe you'd do a better job.

You're not the "smart fan" you think you are. NHL 21 just came out yesterday, go run a simulated version of the team into the ground and spare us the consistent stream of drivel we've been subjected to for years.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:22 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
mayday56 wrote:wow all you keyboard GM's..step back from the ledge.put away your charts and slide rules.just know these signing are very low risk. could be high reward. we got a couple of new assistant coaches who might be able to do some good for these new guys. Maybe Jr tried to sign the guys that all of you so call experts on here thought he should sign and they didnt want to come here for one reason or another. Maybe Mario and Burkle didnt want certain people how the hell do you know what GMJR is dealing with?the luxury tax /salary cap made it so they had to disclose salaries. being a fan was so much better when you didnt know how much players made. then we just talked about the sport itself not about the GM's.I dont know what all you self proclaimed hockey experts would do if you couldnt talk about all the sh*t that isnt hockey.

Right, I forgot, all of our coaches are better than everyone else’s coaches. Hence the early exits lately. Or the one that just came over after being fired.

Right, because you post on here like you honest-to-God believe you'd do a better job.

You're not the "smart fan" you think you are. NHL 21 just came out yesterday, go run a simulated version of the team into the ground and spare us the consistent stream of drivel we've been subjected to for years.

Good one. I’m hurt. I make valid points and that’s your response? Deep.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby BONVIE on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:29 pm

This clip is just way too cool. Evgeni posted a story to his Instagram account (@emalkin71geno) where not only does Nikita display some impressive skating ability for such a little kid - he also displayed a little grit to his game as well, jokingly dropping the gloves with his dad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGacxR2g9qA ... atch_again
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Matheson 4.875
Tanev 3.5
Bjugstad 2.05
Ceci 1.25
Sceviour 1.2
Johnson 1.16

There’s 14 million tied up here and 2 of them aren’t even on the team. If Matheson doesn’t pan out (even though some people think we have magic coaches that other teams don’t), this becomes an even bigger disaster. Tanev is a 4th liner being overpaid. Ceci and Sceviour are below replacement level type players.

What could have been in this buyer’s market. Instead they’re stuck paying 14 million to 2 non roster players, two 4th liners and two bottom pairing guys of which one could turn out to be a huge contract anchor. (Hopefully not)

This just seems, not good.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Maestro on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:31 pm

mayday56 wrote: being a fan was so much better when you didnt know how much players made. then we just talked about the sport itself not about the GM's.I dont know what all you self proclaimed hockey experts would do if you couldnt talk about all the sh*t that isnt hockey.

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:35 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Oof. "Valid". Better check that pocket dictionary you use to correct everyone's grammar on here constantly, because that's not the right word to describe your takes.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:43 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Oof. "Valid". Better check that pocket dictionary you use to correct everyone's grammar on here constantly, because that's not the right word to describe your takes.

Again, zero rebuttal to my points. Seems pretty telling.

You’re so angry. :)
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GSdrums87 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:50 pm

No anger. Just calling out the same old lack of substance from ol' Dumpy. Years and years of it. It's almost cathartic to have something so consistent with the world being so unpredictable.

"I don't know if I'll be able to even leave my house tomorrow, but I know just where to look for some bad takes and holier-than-thou input about hockey without fail."

There's a Be A GM mode on Xbox and a great bunch of folks on the Penguins Instagram page that would love your well of...well, we can call it "insight".
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:54 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:No anger. Just calling out the same old lack of substance from ol' Dumpy. Years and years of it. It's almost cathartic to have something so consistent with the world being so unpredictable.

"I don't know if I'll be able to even leave my house tomorrow, but I know just where to look for some bad takes and holier-than-thou input about hockey without fail."

There's a Be A GM mode on Xbox and a great bunch of folks on the Penguins Instagram page that would love your well of...well, we can call it "insight".

Show me the lack of substance. Still waiting for a rebuttal to anything I stated. I made valid points and I’m open for discussion. Someone coming in and just criticizing without countering seems like they lack substance.

I’m perfectly fine having a discussion as that’s what these boards are for. I stated opinion today backed by some numbers as well as opinion backed by previous moves and actions by the GM.

Please don’t be angry. I know Trump sucks but don’t take it out on here. Smile.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:09 pm

ville5 wrote:hfposter-
ottawahRegistered User

He had the lowest turnovers/60 of all Toronto D, the lowest GA/60 of all Toronto D, and the highest quality of competition.

He may not be a great top 4 option, but the pucks just seemed to stay out of the net all season when he was on the ice despite playing the tough minutes.

This is good info that checks out. I took a look at his past few seasons in Ottawa, and, while he wasn't tops in these areas there, he wasn't the worst either. He was more in the middle or top end (good way) than the bottom end.

Alright, I will now officially wait until he sees ice time to pass further judgement.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:10 pm

Was Kingerski's "Why the Ceci Signing was Necessary for the Penguins" for real or parody? He actually said that it could be one of their most important off season moves. He also said that an offensive defenseman might have been the wrong fit as Ceci "knows how to take care of his own end." He ended by saying that the " Pens did not strike gold on Saturday, but they may have found every day steadiness. And that's all they needed." If the over under for "every day steadiness" was 14 days, all of my money would be on the under!!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:13 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Was Kingerski's "Why the Ceci Signing was Necessary for the Penguins" for real or parody? He actually said that it could be one of their most important off season moves. He also said that an offensive defenseman might have been the wrong fit as Ceci "knows how to take care of his own end." He ended by saying that the " Pens did not strike gold on Saturday, but they may have found every day steadiness. And that's all they needed." If the over under for "every day steadiness" was 14 days, all of my money would be on the under!!

Did he just change his Johnson articles to say Ceci?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:14 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
ville5 wrote:hfposter-
ottawahRegistered User

He had the lowest turnovers/60 of all Toronto D, the lowest GA/60 of all Toronto D, and the highest quality of competition.

He may not be a great top 4 option, but the pucks just seemed to stay out of the net all season when he was on the ice despite playing the tough minutes.

This is good info that checks out. I took a look at his past few seasons in Ottawa, and, while he wasn't tops in these areas there, he wasn't the worst either. He was more in the middle or top end (good way) than the bottom end.

Alright, I will now officially wait until he sees ice time to pass further judgement.

Not much else you can do now. We said the same things about Gudbranson, we said the same things about Johnson. Here’s hoping Matheson finds something here or else it could be fugly.

I looked at some more numbers tonight for Ceci. He played a lot with Reilly and it was pretty clear who was lugging who around.

Reilly and Ceci together - 50.47 CF%, 51.43 GF%, 49.63 xGF%, 51.06 SCF% - all in all, not bad.

Reilly away from Ceci - 52.93 CF%, 53.06 GF%, 53.28 xGF%, 53.09 SCF% - Improvements across the board for Reilly when not on the ice with Ceci

Ceci away from Reilly - 49.94 CF%, 47.22 GF%, 52.23 xGF%, 50.93 SCF% - Not awful, but not great. Out possessed and out scored for sure. Generated chances though.

I then looked at his PK numbers since GMJR bragged about his PK work. I think he said Johnson was a good PK guy as well and he ranked dead last in most categories on the PK after his two seasons here. Here's Ceci's work shorthanded:

Last on the Leafs in CA/60
Last on the Leafs in SA/60
4th out of 6 in GA/60
2nd last in xGA/60
2nd last in SCA/60
1st in HDGA/60
2nd best in HDCA/60

Again, very Johnson-esque as the team gives up a lot more shot attempts, shots on goal, GA, and scoring chances when he's on the ice. Where he does seem to excel is limiting high danger chances. This is an area that people thought Johnson excelled, but the numbers showed he didn't. Ceci actually did excel there last season.

Let's hope that limiting his minutes helps his 5 on 5 play. We get just about every Leaf game on TV here and I've watched enough of him to know that he's not great 5 on 5. Many hoped that getting Johnson's minutes knocked down here would help him, but it didn't. So there's no guarantees it works for Ceci either. It is only one season which could be a blessing and is the type of contract that Johnson SHOULD have been signed to. A show me contract for someone trying to prove themselves. Instead, the arrogant Rutherford had to throw a jab out there at Columbus and in the end looked like an idiot.

My preference would have been Matt Benning who came in a bit cheaper, but with an extra year in Nashville. He's solid at both ends of the ice, a positive player in both goals and possession. He was a plus player relative to his teammates the last two seasons in Edmonton as well. Not one to excel on the PK, but I'd rather build my team at 5 on 5 and worry about the PK later. If they were looking to address the PK that bad, then Troy Stecher should have been the guy. He didn't play a ton on the PK over the last two seasons in Vancouver, but his numbers were great across the board. Yeah he came in a bit higher at 1.7, but he could have fit easily if a bunch of other moves didn't happen....but that's another conversation.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:48 am

murphydump55 wrote:
ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:These 3 sentences by Gretz pretty much sum up my feelings:

It is a cheap, short-term contract for a player that probably is not an upgrade over the in-house option they already had for a right defenseman on the third pairing, Chad Ruhwedel.

The signing itself is a giant meh, but it still goes back to the larger overall problem of all of these little “meh” signings snowballing into one giant problem that ends up holding the rest of the team back.

An extra million here, an extra million there, a buyout here, salary retained there, and suddenly you have a significant chunk of your salary cap going to players that either are not helping you, or not even playing for your team.

Ruhwedel sucks.
The way people talk, you'd think Ceci wasn't even an AHL player. He was on ice for 37 even strength goals against.
Marino was on ice for 36 even strength goals against. Go figure.

Ceci was on the ice for 36 goals against last season, Marino was 34.

Marino was on the ice for 44 goals for and Ceci was on the ice for 35 goals for. Seems like Marino helps his team more than he hurts them while on the ice. Ceci is the opposite. His teams constantly get outshot and outscored while he's on the ice.

Ceci is a career 46.1% possession player. Many will point to the teams he played on, so I guess we can use a stat relative to his teammates. Nope, he's a -4 CF% rel, so that's not good either.

The only hope I have here is that limiting his minutes and sheltering him will help matters. I mean it didn't work for Johnson like many claimed it would, but it's all I've got. This was a needless signing, especially when your 3rd line is a dumpster fire.

Oh, btw, over the last 3 years, Ruhwedel beats Ceci in almost all metrics. Smaller sample size for sure, but he keeps proving he isn't killing the team when on the ice and would provide great value relative to his salary.

First, this wasn't a comparison of Marino to Ceci. It was just to show that Ceci was only on ice for 1 more even strength goal than Marino. Despite all the reactionary bridge jumpers claiming the worst signing of all-time, analytics are only a small part of the equation.
Second, of course Ruhwedel is going to have better numbers. Small sample size or not. Ruh has gotten less than 16 minutes atoi in his career with 52% offensive zone starts. Sounds like sheltered minutes, probably most against the opponents bottom two lines.
There's a chart on hfboards that shows Ceci and his partner had the toughest minutes of any Leafs' pairing. As he played top minutes in Ottawa, I'm sure the same applied there. And his career 54% defensive zone starts also would make it easier for Ruh to have better metrics.
I'll take Ceci any day over Ruh.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:20 am

GMJR went after some hungry players out there to prove themselve again. Maybe it will work out, maybe Sully will bury them on the bench if they dont, maybe Sully will be fired if he doesnt utilize them properly. Among all players I dont get Rodrigues signing only. Jankowski maybe pans out again as 3rd line C, if he doesnt Teddy steps up or we make a trade.. Ceci as 6th man, I see no risk there, I would prefer Stetcher or Benning.. But its low risk and he is still relatively young for D. If I am Sully, I would start with :
Guentzel - Crosby - Kapanen
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Jankowski - Tanev
Sceviour - Blueger - Rodrigues
Letang - Dumoulin
Matheson - Marino
Pettersson - Ceci

If some guys dont pan out, bring in some more youth, Poulin, O'Connor, Riikola, POJ.. And get a coach that wants to play young guys.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:23 am

Riikola must be cursed
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:27 am

stonewizard51 wrote:Riikola must be cursed

Hypothetical

So Riikola agent told that if he signs with Pens they’ll get rid of Jack Johnson. Then, JR goes out and signs two defensemen. He is cursed. He may decide to cancel his transAtlantic flight.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:34 am

Another hypothetical

They still remember their experiment with that "Holy Awesome", Finnish, Gold Helmet wearer, #98 Janne Pesonen .
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby johnnews on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:10 am

As usual, I'm going to wait until the guy steps on the ice before I jump off a bridge pulling GMJR with me.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:29 pm

LOL..... So many posters who probably have never seen these guys play except while casually watching games on TV. Never once in person. It's not a video game.....Advanced stats make for great talking points. Some of you guy are ready to take a bridge. No doubt there's some valid points, but a lot of good counter arguments as well. The best of which is JR's own comments. Which suggests he signed a veteran defenseman who is not guaranteed a spot in the lineup, or even on the roster. From Ceci's comments, it sounds to me like he was promised an opportunity.....There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, but some of the attitudes are hilarious. I'm going to bet that not one of you have the qualifications of even a part time scout. Criticism is fine, but there are much more qualified opinions among the Pens brain trust. Not just JR. He makes the final call. But Sully was on board, and I suspect so was Reirdon. Opinions that are valued to the tune of six and seven figure paydays.

I keep seeing JJ and Ceci being grouped in with Gudbranson. But people have conveniently forgotten Gudbranson's stats for the Pens the season he was acquired. In 19 games, he had 54.7% CF, 5.5 CF% Rel, and he started 59.4% of the time in the defensive zone. He also only had 4 PIM, two that came from body slamming Wilson. This isn't about Guddy, but I see these three lumped together with all the media pundits. Yet, I'd gladly take that level of play form my 6th defenseman. We need to see how Ceci fits before looking for that bridge. Why don't we see if Ceci makes the team first? That he's in the starting lineup opening night. And then maybe see how he does.

It's not a video game. When making evaluations, you can't make them in a vacuum. A lot of dead money? Yes. At least nine teams have more. I posted the list several pages back. They didn't give any NTC's or NMC's added this season. But I often see complaints about JR's mismanagement when they have. Of course, there is not one team in the league without at least one player with a clause. Doug Armstrong has a strong aversion to full NMC's, and refuses to give them out. Perhaps he's right. He also admits that it's the reason Pietrangelo didn't stay in St Louis.

Everything is "what have you done for me lately." McCann sucks because he didn't score a goals in his last 22 regular season games. Even though I've pointed out Sid went 19 games with 1 goal several seasons ago. And it completely discounts McCann's 25 goals in his first 78 games as a Pen. Montreal traded for Max Domi and a pick for Josh Anderson, then gave him a 7 year deal for a $5.5M AAV. He had one goal in 26 games last season.

There are no sure things. Look at the history of UFA's. Not just here, but everywhere. Looking strictly at the Pens is silly and uninformed. It's assumed that every player who signed elsewhere could have been had by the Pens. What arrogance. Buy out Hornqvist, sign Dadanov? There was never a chance they were going to buy out Hornqvist. It was painful for them to do it with JJ. There's a tendency to forget that these guys are human beings, not chess pieces. Besides, buyouts aren't JR's call. Mario despises them. Again, I posted a list of every team's buyout history since the cap was implemented a few pages back. Before the JJ buyout, the Pens had never done it. Only Vegas was able to make the same statement, and they've been in the league 3 years. The suggestion is such a move would have allowed them to sign Dadonov as an example. If you were willing to wait until a week after free agency started while Dadonov's camp came to the conclusion he wasn't going to get what he was looking for. He ended up in Ottawa. Not exactly a contender. We can all make perfect moves with the aid of 20/20 hindsight. I wonder if Dadanov feels the same way? He may well have turned down a better, or the same contract, with a contender earlier in the process. I seriously doubt the Sens were his top choice.

JR, along with many others in the Pens brain trust, make mistakes. The league is set up to be cyclical. You suck, you draft high. The Pens have been in the playoffs 14 straight seasons. The Capitals have the second longest streak at 6. The window may well be closed. At best, it's unlatched and they're trying to open it up a crack. They don't have much to work with. Sustained success does that. Ask Chicago or LA. Or Detroit. When they won in '16, Sid was older than Lemieux, Gretzky, or Orr when they last won a Cup. They are fighting an uphill battle as their stars grow old. Both are well past their primes. The only choices are to give up now, or take some chances and see if you can crack the window.

It's not impossible. Does anyone remember how the Straka-Lang-Kovalev line came about in terms of how the players were acquired? Or their reputations when acquired? None of the three projected anywhere near the level they attained in Pittsburgh. Not based on past performances. It didn't lead to a Cup, but played a big role in Mario's decision to come back. How about the '16 Cup champs? Kessel came with a ton of baggage. They celebrated in Toronto when he was traded. Daley, Hagelin, and Schultz were all underachievers when acquired.

Like I said, it's easy to sit on your chair or couch and become genius' with 20/20 hindsight. Or to conveniently forget when things turn out differently. By definition, complaining about every deal will make you right far more often than not. Especially if the only acceptable outcome is winning a Cup. The Pens have won 5 in the last 29 years. The most in the league. But they failed 24 times.

I prefer to see how things play out on the ice. Stats and advanced metrics are interesting. They can be valuable tools. Yet there's a reason Ceci was given a $4.3M contract with Ottawa. Or a one year $4.5M contract in Toronto. There's a reason the Leafs saw fit to play him more than 20 minutes a night. No one on here has as much knowledge in their little finger as these guys have. If you did, you wouldn't be on here.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Pens4Life wrote:If some guys dont pan out, bring in some more youth, Poulin, O'Connor, Riikola, POJ.. And get a coach that wants to play young guys.

I'm not a Sully fan at this point. I think the pandemic saved his job, and he's on the hot seat. If they are struggling at mid season, I expect he'll be replaced. Likely by Vellucci. But he's the coach who played the WBS kids in '16. More recently, Marino never played a game in the AHL. Riikola hasn't found a spot in the regular lineup, but has played only 5 AHL games. He didn't have an issue playing Guentzel when he came up. If the kids prove they can play, he'll play them.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:37 pm

Pens bought out Caron and Endicott in 2006. REPEAT: Pens bought out Caron and Endicott in 2006. Each had one year remaining on their contracts.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:42 pm

I would take the Ceci signing over someone like TVR. The latter has topped out as a #6 D who plays very sheltered minutes or just gets scratched. We already have two guys who we know can do that.

Ceci hasn't cut it in a top four role where he's playing big minutes against tough competition and getting predominantly defensive zone starts. Frankly, I don't care that much about his advanced stats because they have to be put into context, Corsi particularly. Those stats reflect what he's done on other teams (including very bad Ottawa teams) in a much bigger and probably different role than what he's going to get here. If he's asked to play bottom pair minutes here, is protected against top competition, and gets more offensive zone starts then it's quite possible that his performance looks a lot better.

Or maybe it doesn't, they dump him, and only lose a fraction of a percent of cap space for the season in the process. For that level of risk, I'd rather bring in someone where there's some potential to get more than just a fringe defenseman who has to play small, protected minutes, over somebody who you already know for certain tops out as that.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:20 pm

brwi wrote:Pens bought out Caron and Endicott in 2006. REPEAT: Pens bought out Caron and Endicott in 2006. Each had one year remaining on their contracts.

You are correct. Can only go by the information given. However, those are extremely low profile. Last season with Endicott at $550K, Caron at $722K. Shero's first month on the job. And it was 14 years ago. I don't know about his first contract, but one of the things Mario said he'd never do after firing Shero was to give a GM full autonomy, which Shero contractually had.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:47 pm

Ceci is a 1yr deal. If it was for longer maybe it's time to get the torches and pitchforks, but a 6th RHD at 1.25mil is not some huge risk or $$$. There is some upside and the risk is minimal. Ruhwedel being the regular 6th dman has a lot more risk of failure.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins