2021 Season discussion (start date, # of games, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2021 Season discussion (start date, # of games, etc)

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:46 pm

The NHLPA has said they negotiated with the worst case scenario in mind so the fact the owners are already back with hat in hand is telling. If I’m a player I’m worried about concessions now turning into lore concessions when the season is nixed (which should have been prt of the worst case talks).

With multiple owners not wanting to have a season and Canada being cut off from the US, this entire campaign is on the brink. Starting in January is beyond laughable.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:06 pm

The NHL shouldn't resume until fans are allowed to attend games. Period
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:13 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:The NHL shouldn't resume until fans are allowed to attend games. Period

In an idea world, I'm sure that's what everyone wants, but right now that's kind of like saying you personally shouldn't collect a paycheck until your job goes back to normal.

But, if for arguments sake, full fan attendance isn't expected to be possible until January 2022....well, the league won't survive. The league needs to get creative and find ways to make money to keep the league alive. The big market teams and some of the teams tied to larger corporations will be able to survive, but, a lot of the smaller market teams won't.

They need revenue, because even though they aren't playing games, they still have costs. Scouting, leases, marketing, operations, etc, etc.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:45 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:The NHL shouldn't resume until fans are allowed to attend games. Period

In an idea world, I'm sure that's what everyone wants, but right now that's kind of like saying you personally shouldn't collect a paycheck until your job goes back to normal.

But, if for arguments sake, full fan attendance isn't expected to be possible until January 2022....well, the league won't survive. The league needs to get creative and find ways to make money to keep the league alive. The big market teams and some of the teams tied to larger corporations will be able to survive, but, a lot of the smaller market teams won't.

They need revenue, because even though they aren't playing games, they still have costs. Scouting, leases, marketing, operations, etc, etc.

I get that but playing or not they are going to run a deficit. I would guess they are going to run a greater deficit by playing with no gate revenue versus not playing at all.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:10 am

First they need to get their labor relations settled.
I say wait till January, see the progress of the vaccines. Maybe start in March with empty buildings until 5, 10 thousand are permitted. I really don't like the idea of Canada v America conferences.
For the teams, I think it is important to use their own buildings to keeps fans, virtually for now, identifying and invested for the full opening.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:30 pm

penny lane wrote:First they need to get their labor relations settled.
I say wait till January, see the progress of the vaccines. Maybe start in March with empty buildings until 5, 10 thousand are permitted. I really don't like the idea of Canada v America conferences.
For the teams, I think it is important to use their own buildings to keeps fans, virtually for now, identifying and invested for the full opening.

The labor issue is a result of no gate revenue. You can't pay the players if there is little to no revenue.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Maybe they should play the entire season at outdoor rinks. There's a much better chance that they could get more games in.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:27 pm

The problem with starting too late is the Summer Olympics. NBC owns the NHL and Olympic televising rights, so any NHL season needs to be completed by early July. Once July 18th hits (I think that is the start date), they'll lose any TV revenues because NBC will air the Olympics, not hockey.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

The problem with starting too late is the Summer Olympics. NBC owns the NHL and Olympic televising rights, so any NHL season needs to be completed by early July. Once July 18th hits (I think that is the start date), they'll lose any TV revenues because NBC will air the Olympics, not hockey.

Would the Olympics also air on NBCSN or could they just use that for hockey?
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:34 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Pens could be in the central division without the Caps, Flyers, Rangers and Islanders. One more thing to not like about next season.

This might favor the Pens as the the central looks weaker than NYI NYR BUF WASH BOS CAR PHI and CAPS. I think teams like DET CHI STL NASH CBJ FLA and TB we might fair better.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby longtimefan on Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:15 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Would the Olympics also air on NBCSN or could they just use that for hockey?

The Olympics use every one of NBC's networks, and is a much more lucrative deal for the network then the NHL.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:19 am

I am reading about Las Vegas & Columbus having players positive COVID. I didn't know some teams were training at this time.
Pens probably have 3-4 guys in Canada, Evgeni behind the iron curtain; who know when they get back.
We would be seeing something if they were in Pittsburgh.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:29 pm

A few new wrinkles that I saw today from Kingerski:

--Someone asked, if 2021 season didn't happen, what would happen to the expansion draft. This is an interesting question because, without playing the 2021 season, less players would be eligible because they would have less pro seasons accrued. I believe a player needed 3 pro seasons (AHL, NHL, or Europe after their draft year) to be eligible to be selected.

--As part of an answer to the expansion draft question, Kingerski said in his opinion and based on what he has read (but needed to do more research), if there was no 2021 season, it would essentially amount to an Owner's lockout of the players. He also said if it was a lockout, he thinks the players would accrue a season even if they didn't play.

--Why a lockout? Simply put, the players and owners signed a new CBA deal this summer that lasts for 6 years. The terms of that CBA/MOU are currently in effect, so, until both parties agree to change them, it would be the owners not allowing the players to play a season.

Everything I read, IMO, strongly favors the players here. To me, it sounds like the players went into the discussions over the summer with a very forward looking view, beyond continuing the 2020 season, and the owners seemed to have went into this with "We're bleeding money. We'll sign anything to get this season back under way." The owners and players agreed to a 6 year deal. The players contention is when they signed it, they were taking into consideration that the pandemic could last longer (which is why they gave up 20% in salary plus deferred salary, plus agreed to flat caps), while the owners seemed to have a very short-sighted view. 6 months into a 6 year deal and the owners already want to change terms. Doesn't seem like negotiating in good faith. Reminds me of the sports player who signs a new 5 year deal, then goes out and triples his production, and after 1 year wants to rip up the remaining 4 years because now he's elite. Sorry, should have taken that into consideration when you agreed to 5 years at the agreed upon price.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:01 am

Latest I am hearing from various articles, tweets etc is that things aren't looking good for 2021 season. It's been over a week since the two sides have talked restrictions in US and Canada are changing (Toronto possible 28 day lockdown, SJ/SF area not able to play in their arenas/stadiums mean Sharks need a new place to play, etc). Two biggest issues right now:

--Owners reportedly asking 25% cut in pay (up from 20% agreed upon over the summer), plus 25% in escrow (up from 13% agreed upon over the summer). As mentioned before the players belief is that they made a deal over the summer that was supposed to deal with COVID losses, and now the owners asking for more isn't going over well. In past seasons, I don't believe players have EVER gotten 100% of their escrow money back. Seems like only about 50% of it from what I recall.

--Both sides are trying their hardest to get a season in, because their current TV deals expire after the next season. Sounds like the wording is that a season has to take place for it to count against the TV contract....no season, TV rights owners still get their final year. Reportedly, NHL already has NBC, Fox and ESPN lined up for new TV deals, but they need to get one more season in to get the current rights over with. Sounds like NHL thinks they are going to get a big revenue increase from a new TV deal, so they are trying anything
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:35 am

Frankly I'd prefer no season to some absurd contrived nonsense, plus I'd like to see the players eat a big bowl of you get nothing chili. I hate to lose one of last decent years of 87 but honestly, I think we're past the era of dominance and in the decline anyway so it is what it is.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:00 pm

I've said from the start this season isn't happening so I'll stick with that...Whether the 2 sides agree or not, there won't be fans in the seats...

I've also been on the players side the entire side, and if the owners are expecting more $ with a new TV deal, then let them defer and pay the players 100%.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:I've said from the start this season isn't happening so I'll stick with that...Whether the 2 sides agree or not, there won't be fans in the seats...

I've also been on the players side the entire side, and if the owners are expecting more $ with a new TV deal, then let them defer and pay the players 100%.

Look at this way from the players side, there are 3 options:

--Salary Cut --> Means whatever percentage is salary cut, they aren't getting back.
--Escrow ------> Means whatever percentage is put in escrow, they MIGHT get back some, all, or nothing from escrow.
--Deferral------> Means whatever percentage is put in deferral, the players receive at a later date 100% of this amount...usually broken up into 3-5 years.

Anything other than deferred salary puts all the risk on the players. And of course, the owners are clamoring for more cuts and escrow, and little to no more deferred salary. Owners are shooting for more salary cuts and more escrow percentage. Take personal feelings out of it regarding player salaries (they're spoiled, make millions, it's a game, etc, etc). They are the product. There's obviously a level of understanding with what is going on in the world, but, without really having a horse in this race, the owners seemed to have negotiated like a bunch of short-sighted morons. Even in this COVID situation, there comes a point where the salary paid or loss of salary is not worth the job that is being done. There are other options out there. There are several very good leagues in Europe (Swiss, German, Fininish, and Swedish leagues) along with the KHL. The salaries will be less, however, those leagues could be able to raise ticket prices, TV rights, marketing money, etc if they were to get an influx of NHL level talent playing in their league. There is also the option for the players to try and create their own league, or another entrepreneur trying to step up and create a new league.

I'm not saying either side is right or wrong but I see much more concessions by the players than the owners. 99% of what I am hearing is about paycuts to the players. I don't think I've once heard of the owners investigating any type of revenue sharing, where larger market teams that continually make profits (Toronto, NY Teams, Chicago, etc) help prop up the smaller market teams might be struggling, at least for a year or 2 until fans return in full force. According to Forbes, in 2019, there were 7 teams that lost money, and another 6 teams that made 10M or less in profits. 12 teams made 30M or more, with 3 of those teams making 100M or more in profits. Besides revenue sharing, what other realistic cost cutting measures, cost sharing measures, etc could be done purely by the owners? Doesn't seem to be much of that level of thinking here.

1) Deferred salary, not escrow or cuts. (At least, nothing other than deferred beyond what players already agreed to in cuts/escrow)
2) Geo-based divisional play to help cut down on travel and other costs
3) Series based play (2-3 games between 2 teams in 1 location, like baseball has done for years) to again cut down on travel.
4) Some type of revenue sharing between teams for next 1-3 years.

Seems pretty damn simple to me, but the NHL is still 1970's thinking without much of a clue.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:34 am

Sounds like things are getting more tense between NHL and NHLPA. There are apparently rumors/whispers that the NHL is talking about trying to "invoke Force Majeure" and cancel the NHL season. Sounds like there are at least some talks occurring in terms of, what would happen if they do this. What the heck is force majeure?

A "force majeure" clause (French for "superior force") is a contract provision that relieves the parties from performing their contractual obligations when certain circumstances beyond their control arise, making performance inadvisable, commercially impracticable, illegal, or impossible. In the absence of a force majeure clause, parties to a contract are left to the mercy of the narrow common law contract doctrines of "impracticability" and "frustration of purpose," which rarely result in excuse of performance.

In essence, the NHL would be trying to say that COVID-19 is circumstances beyond their control and allow them to cancel the season. Allan Walsh posted earlier today saying that would be dumb and unenforceable, with one of his main points being the NHL just agreed to an updated CBA in June 2020....so saying now that this is suddenly circumstances beyond their control is never going to be upheld in a court of law. Walsh also made references that there is language in the CBA that states the NHL cannot lock out the players.

In other news, according to article on DK site, Penguins are holding informal practices under Phase 2 conditions (no more than 6 on the ice, testing schedule, etc), and GMJR said they are just waiting to get word, and more players are starting to trickle back into town.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:29 am

Seems like the NHL wants a schedule where things can change on the fly if restrictions are eased or lifted. So seems like the beginning of the season would be divisional based, 2 or 3 game series in a city. so 6 games per divisional team, 42 games, complete that and see where the lock down is at and either continue div play or play outside div. get around 60 games in.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:40 am

NHL EXPLORING LOCKOUT IF
PLAYERS DON'T MAKE MORE CONCESSIONS

9 p.m. Tuesday: Despite agreeing with the NHLPA to an extension to the CBA in June, the NHL is already seeking to change the terms and ask players to make more concessions for next season. In the CBA, players agreed to defer 10 percent of their pay with a 20 percent escrow cap, guaranteeing them 72 percent of their pay for the upcoming season. The league is now reportedly asking players to defer 26 percent of their pay while increasing the escrow cap to 25 percent, which would only guarantee 55.5 percent of their salaries for the upcoming season.

Player agent Allan Walsh said in a Twitter thread on Tuesday that the NHL is floating the idea of cancelling the season if the players don't agree to give up more money than they already agreed to give up, which would be another lockout. -- Taylor

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020 ... ge-tlh-dwm

BURKE SAYS PENGUINS
WINDOW IS CLOSED

10 a.m. Tuesday: Former general manager and current television analyst Brian Burke was a guest on the latest episode of Spittin' Chiclets, and during the interview he said that he believes the Penguins' window to win a Stanley Cup is closed.

"It is the same thing Jimmy Rutherford is saying in Pittsburgh: ‘I’ve got two elite players we’re not going to a total rebuild were gonna try and win.’ I don’t think Pittsburgh is good enough to win," Burke said. "No matter what they do now with their cap situation I think that window has closed, for me. I love Jimmy Rutherford, you know that, but I look in the East and I say are they better than Tampa? Nope. Are they better than Washington? Nope. Are they better than Boston? Nope."
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:44 am

Allan Walsh

@walsha

The NHL is soft floating the idea with media if no deal with the NHLPA is reached on the Return to Play, it can unilaterally invoke Force Majeure and cancel the 2020-21 season. 1/

7:31 PM · Dec 1, 2020

Allan Walsh

@walsha

·

Dec 1, 2020

Replying to @walsha

There are so many flaws to this, I don’t know where to start. Does the NHL really think it can demand an additional $300M in concessions from players after negotiating the financial terms of the 20-21 season DURING the pandemic 4 months ago? 2/

Allan Walsh

@walsha

The Players agreed to accept 72% of their contracts due to the pandemic. NHL owners cannot now assert they don’t like the deal, demand $300M more from the Players and if the Players don’t give in, cancel the season by invoking Force Majeure? 3/

7:41 PM · Dec 1, 2020

See the 

Allan Walsh

@walsha

·

Dec 1, 2020

Replying to @walsha

In reality, if the NHL cancels the 20-21 season because the Players won’t give another $300M in concessions, that is a LOCKOUT, which is expressly prohibited by CBA Art. 7.1 (b). 4/

Allan Walsh

@walsha

If the NHL lawyers are advising owners they have a winning case here, I suggest they go back to law school. Owners will be subjecting themselves to billions in potential damages if they falsely invoke Force Majeure to cancel the season. End

7:51 PM · Dec 1, 2020
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby interstorm on Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:52 am

So here is what I don't get. The New York Rangers franchise was bought in 1997 for $195 million dollars -- and Forbes estimates their worth (in 2019) at $1.65 BILLION dollars - a value that has gone up (on average) by over $63M every year for the last 23 years. So when it comes to money, there are avenues for loans using equity against the franchises to get through this thing (assuming that equity wasn't used elsewhere but that implies a moral hazard of extending oneself too far). When it comes to business ownership - the owners retain vast amounts of the wealth created by their business because they are assuming the risk (whereas employees are free to up and move). We'll - global pandemics, no matter how unlikely, are one of those risks. I have a hard time finding fault with the players (who truly are the product) when the franchises, who have benefited greatly over the years from the efforts of the sport, have it within themselves to make up the difference.

Not meaning to get political on this and for those who have read the politics thread my perspective is clear there -- but to me, this is like a public fortune 500 company asking for salary cuts of it's most important staff as opposed to issuing new stock because they don't want to hurt shareholder interests.

Each and every NHL team, save maybe Seattle, has it within themselves to get the money needed to pay the players and play the season. They just would rather not set a bad precident, beat down the union and preserve that franchise equity they hold so dear. It really is that simple.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:48 am

interstorm wrote:So here is what I don't get. The New York Rangers franchise was bought in 1997 for $195 million dollars -- and Forbes estimates their worth (in 2019) at $1.65 BILLION dollars - a value that has gone up (on average) by over $63M every year for the last 23 years. So when it comes to money, there are avenues for loans using equity against the franchises to get through this thing (assuming that equity wasn't used elsewhere but that implies a moral hazard of extending oneself too far). When it comes to business ownership - the owners retain vast amounts of the wealth created by their business because they are assuming the risk (whereas employees are free to up and move). We'll - global pandemics, no matter how unlikely, are one of those risks. I have a hard time finding fault with the players (who truly are the product) when the franchises, who have benefited greatly over the years from the efforts of the sport, have it within themselves to make up the difference.

Not meaning to get political on this and for those who have read the politics thread my perspective is clear there -- but to me, this is like a public fortune 500 company asking for salary cuts of it's most important staff as opposed to issuing new stock because they don't want to hurt shareholder interests.

Each and every NHL team, save maybe Seattle, has it within themselves to get the money needed to pay the players and play the season. They just would rather not set a bad precident, beat down the union and preserve that franchise equity they hold so dear. It really is that simple.

So you cherry picked a team from the media market of the world to illustrate your point. I'm sure there are franchises (Toronto, Montreal etc.) that could proceed in such a manner. There's probably an equal number of teams (Arizona, Florida, Carolina) that lose money even with fans in the stands who probably don't have the ability to borrow from the franchise equity. Just because you have billionaires owning these teams doesn't mean they are willing to lose tens of millions of dollars to operate a business enterprise, that's how they became billionaires in the first place staying away from such bad investments.

I'm not pro-business in this situation but you have a hockey business model that depends on putting butts in the stands in order to generate revenue. This isn't the NFL operating off of a huge TV contract, and on sales of merchandise etc. Telling billionaires to suck it up and borrow money for a team that might lose money or barely break even, in normal times, to keep a league a float for a pandemic season, isn't going to happen.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:42 am

How many times does the NHL gamble that folks will return? Let's hope that it is 1 more time.
They can't operate without the fans.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:20 pm

pens_CT wrote:
interstorm wrote:So here is what I don't get. The New York Rangers franchise was bought in 1997 for $195 million dollars -- and Forbes estimates their worth (in 2019) at $1.65 BILLION dollars - a value that has gone up (on average) by over $63M every year for the last 23 years. So when it comes to money, there are avenues for loans using equity against the franchises to get through this thing (assuming that equity wasn't used elsewhere but that implies a moral hazard of extending oneself too far). When it comes to business ownership - the owners retain vast amounts of the wealth created by their business because they are assuming the risk (whereas employees are free to up and move). We'll - global pandemics, no matter how unlikely, are one of those risks. I have a hard time finding fault with the players (who truly are the product) when the franchises, who have benefited greatly over the years from the efforts of the sport, have it within themselves to make up the difference.

So you cherry picked a team from the media market of the world to illustrate your point. I'm sure there are franchises (Toronto, Montreal etc.) that could proceed in such a manner. There's probably an equal number of teams (Arizona, Florida, Carolina) that lose money even with fans in the stands who probably don't have the ability to borrow from the franchise equity. Just because you have billionaires owning these teams doesn't mean they are willing to lose tens of millions of dollars to operate a business enterprise, that's how they became billionaires in the first place staying away from such bad investments.

I'm not pro-business in this situation but you have a hockey business model that depends on putting butts in the stands in order to generate revenue. This isn't the NFL operating off of a huge TV contract, and on sales of merchandise etc. Telling billionaires to suck it up and borrow money for a team that might lose money or barely break even, in normal times, to keep a league a float for a pandemic season, isn't going to happen.

I don't think borrowing money is the answer, but, I do think that some sort of revenue sharing might work. Of course, I don't know that for sure because I don't know how much money individual clubs made or lost last year due to the pandemic, nor do I know how much they will lose this year from it....but, in simple terms, we can be pretty sure that the 7 teams that lost money in 2019 during a full season are going to lose more money, the 6 teams that only made 10M or less are likely to now be in the negative profit zone, and, there is a decent chance (but no guarantee) that some of the powerhouse franchises like Toronto, Rangers, Chicago, etc might still be making money throughout all of this. It would be in those clubs best interest to help those other clubs survive, because any clubs folding because of this hurts the league and their overall profits.

I simply cannot support ownership on their request for more funds. I liken that me going out and buying a new car and paying 30K for that new car, and finding out when I got home that there were 4 other dealers where I could have gotten the car for 20K on the same date, then going back to the dealer I bought the car from and asking for a 10K refund. Or the NFL player that signs a new 5 year deal for mid-level money, and in years 1 and 2 puts up the best numbers at his position, and wants a new contract. Sorry, you negotiated that deal. If you thought you had the ability to play to that level, you should have asked for more money or taken a shorter deal. The players AND owners negotiated an updated CBA in June during the height of the pandemic. The pandemic was happening during negotiations. It really sounds like the owners negotiated under the premise that the pandemic would all be over by the end of 2020, and had zero forward looking thinking at all. That's on them. They entered into a signed contract DURING the "unexpected conditions." This would be a totally different story if this new CBA negotiation happened in January, and then the pandemic hit full blown mode like it did March. But that didn't happen. The owners negotiated salary cuts, escrow, deferrals, and salary caps for the next 6 years. They signed a deal with the numbers they negotiated. It's on them to honor that deal, or figure out a way to cut costs without taking more than the agreed upon number from the players.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins