Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby largegarlic on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:56 am

I have no idea obviously, but I like the chronic elbow issue as an explanation. Something that isn't bad enough to keep him out, but isn't easily fixed and affects his shooting and stick handling.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,505
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby no name on Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:11 am

looks like lack of concentration or lack of drive, he wants to turn it on.. but he can't find the "ON" switch. I agree with the one post, he is an emotional player and the lack of fans in the stands is not making him find his mojo. I don't think he "lost it".. give it time, there was a few years ago it looked like Sid was done.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,217
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby midd on Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am

Then he needs to pass more rather than stick handle and turn the puck over. He has two capable wingers on his line. But I agree Sullivan should shake the lines up give more balance. Try Jake with Geno. But if he doesn't dish the puck, nothing is going to change.

largegarlic wrote:I have no idea obviously, but I like the chronic elbow issue as an explanation. Something that isn't bad enough to keep him out, but isn't easily fixed and affects his shooting and stick handling.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 702
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: First and First, the Nexus of the Universe

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:00 pm

johnnews wrote:Agree with the current Malkin situation, but anyone saying he disappears in the playoffs should You Tube his 2009 & 2017 playoff performances then write him a letter apologizing.


Are you actually thinking for one second I was referring to when he was younger? Wow. This thread isn't about how good he used to be, it is his trajectory which can't be expected to change with age.

Now, let's check the most recent 2 years. 8 games, 1g 3a. No even strength goals despite averaging around 20 minutes a game. Even in the prior year when he got 4, only 1 was even strength while Jake popped in 10, 8 ES. We're paying a lot for this.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,386
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
johnnews wrote:Agree with the current Malkin situation, but anyone saying he disappears in the playoffs should You Tube his 2009 & 2017 playoff performances then write him a letter apologizing.


Are you actually thinking for one second I was referring to when he was younger? Wow. This thread isn't about how good he used to be, it is his trajectory which can't be expected to change with age.

Now, let's check the most recent 2 years. 8 games, 1g 3a. No even strength goals despite averaging around 20 minutes a game. Even in the prior year when he got 4, only 1 was even strength while Jake popped in 10, 8 ES. We're paying a lot for this.


Crosby has 4 in his last 8 playoff games as well. Is that because he doesn't work hard either?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,193
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:01 pm

The speculation on this thread is pure comedy but I'll add my 2c

- He's not a smart player ~ never has been ~ but when producing he gets a pass...Someone else already pointed this out and yes, he's played this way forever. Letang is the only player in the league that's dumber and he's got a massive lead on the pack....

- Maybe he just hasn't found the passion given the "covid rules"...I know I haven't so why should I expect him to? Sure, he gets paid a lot of $ but he's still human...I can barely bring myself to watch the games with no fans/emotion, so why should I expect 100% of the players to be going at 100%? I've seen essentially every game since since 1988 (baring a VCR malfunction) but could hardly bring myself to watch the playoffs last year. The games are lame, it is what it is and they can't do anything about it...Well, they could let fans in but we know that's a pipe dream.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:46 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
johnnews wrote:Agree with the current Malkin situation, but anyone saying he disappears in the playoffs should You Tube his 2009 & 2017 playoff performances then write him a letter apologizing.


Are you actually thinking for one second I was referring to when he was younger? Wow. This thread isn't about how good he used to be, it is his trajectory which can't be expected to change with age.

Now, let's check the most recent 2 years. 8 games, 1g 3a. No even strength goals despite averaging around 20 minutes a game. Even in the prior year when he got 4, only 1 was even strength while Jake popped in 10, 8 ES. We're paying a lot for this.


Wow, I didn't catch that post originally. Apology letter? F that.

Malkin, you are a man-child. Grow up. Stop pouting on the ice when something doesn't go your way. Pretend like you are an adult professional athlete getting paid a lot of money to do a job... and do the damn job. Else, quit and go pout somewhere else. Bye.

How was that for a letter apologizing?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,429
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Malkin's play doesn't feed as much off his game sense, or any sense I think. It's all about his abilities with stick on puck. He's one of those guys that can just bull through a play and make something happen that isn't supposed to. He needs to be in a flow, concentrated and supported for his failings by his linemates.

Without enough of the above, Malkin is a very pedestrian top liner.

Ignoring injuries, he needs to get his head in the game. Shooting more would help him. But if you told him to, it would not get him to shoot more. He's that kind of player.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,653
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:31 pm

Crosby does his fair share of pouting. When things are not going well he has a look of disgust on the bench. He's the captain, he's the one that should be motivating the rest of the team, not bringing them down. He pouts every time he thinks the refs miss a penalty or when one is called on him. The Pen"s lockerroom is known to be a quiet one and it is directly related to the "captain."
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,121
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:48 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Crosby does his fair share of pouting. When things are not going well he has a look of disgust on the bench. He's the captain, he's the one that should be motivating the rest of the team, not bringing them down. He pouts every time he thinks the refs miss a penalty or when one is called on him. The Pen"s lockerroom is known to be a quiet one and it is directly related to the "captain."


Every captain operates differently, you don't need to be vocal to be a captain. If the balance of the team needs motivation then its time for the GM to start trading players until the attitude of the team improves.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,285
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:18 pm

pens_CT wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Crosby does his fair share of pouting. When things are not going well he has a look of disgust on the bench. He's the captain, he's the one that should be motivating the rest of the team, not bringing them down. He pouts every time he thinks the refs miss a penalty or when one is called on him. The Pen"s lockerroom is known to be a quiet one and it is directly related to the "captain."


Every captain operates differently, you don't need to be vocal to be a captain. If the balance of the team needs motivation then its time for the GM to start trading players until the attitude of the team improves.

He doesn't have to be vocal but he has to carry himself better and at least be positive from a body language standpoint.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,121
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:23 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Crosby does his fair share of pouting. When things are not going well he has a look of disgust on the bench. He's the captain, he's the one that should be motivating the rest of the team, not bringing them down. He pouts every time he thinks the refs miss a penalty or when one is called on him. The Pen"s lockerroom is known to be a quiet one and it is directly related to the "captain."


It isn't a Crosby vs Malkin thing.

Getting upset isn't what Malkin does. Malkin pouts. Like 4 year old kid not getting a cookie at the store pouting. He literally stops playing the game while on the ice. Stops skating. Drops his head, hands down at his sides. The literal definition of pouting. I was fine just dropping little hits in the thread since other people are finally actually calling him out for his games, but the suggestion of sending him a letter apologizing for anything said in this thread was just too much. He is a He is a 34 year old with the emotional stability of a child and he shows it time and time again on the ice.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,429
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:08 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
johnnews wrote:Agree with the current Malkin situation, but anyone saying he disappears in the playoffs should You Tube his 2009 & 2017 playoff performances then write him a letter apologizing.


Are you actually thinking for one second I was referring to when he was younger? Wow. This thread isn't about how good he used to be, it is his trajectory which can't be expected to change with age.

Now, let's check the most recent 2 years. 8 games, 1g 3a. No even strength goals despite averaging around 20 minutes a game. Even in the prior year when he got 4, only 1 was even strength while Jake popped in 10, 8 ES. We're paying a lot for this.


Crosby has 4 in his last 8 playoff games as well. Is that because he doesn't work hard either?


What was our record in those 8 games? How much of our payroll goes to our 2 top centers? Age is a real pain, it has no friends except for Tom Brady and that exists just to make my life miserable.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,386
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:02 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
johnnews wrote:Agree with the current Malkin situation, but anyone saying he disappears in the playoffs should You Tube his 2009 & 2017 playoff performances then write him a letter apologizing.


Are you actually thinking for one second I was referring to when he was younger? Wow. This thread isn't about how good he used to be, it is his trajectory which can't be expected to change with age.

Now, let's check the most recent 2 years. 8 games, 1g 3a. No even strength goals despite averaging around 20 minutes a game. Even in the prior year when he got 4, only 1 was even strength while Jake popped in 10, 8 ES. We're paying a lot for this.


Crosby has 4 in his last 8 playoff games as well. Is that because he doesn't work hard either?


What was our record in those 8 games? How much of our payroll goes to our 2 top centers? Age is a real pain, it has no friends except for Tom Brady and that exists just to make my life miserable.


You called out Malkin's recent playoff numbers attributing it to not working hard. Sid's numbers match his. Is he not working hard either?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,193
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Maybe Malkin was mad Rust was taken off his line. I don't think it was a coincidence that Malkin and Rust were back together again and that Sullivan had their line start the game Maybe their way of showing Geno that he is still valued!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,121
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby johnnews on Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:25 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
johnnews wrote:Agree with the current Malkin situation, but anyone saying he disappears in the playoffs should You Tube his 2009 & 2017 playoff performances then write him a letter apologizing.


Are you actually thinking for one second I was referring to when he was younger? Wow. This thread isn't about how good he used to be, it is his trajectory which can't be expected to change with age.

Now, let's check the most recent 2 years. 8 games, 1g 3a. No even strength goals despite averaging around 20 minutes a game. Even in the prior year when he got 4, only 1 was even strength while Jake popped in 10, 8 ES. We're paying a lot for this.


As I said, I agree with current situation. It was stated he disappears every year in the playoffs. That statement is incorrect. The last 2 playoff years is certanly accurate.

And Jim disagrees. Shocker. I would think Jim would like writing a letter. Seems to suit his persona.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Downingtown, PA

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby Ericf on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:55 am

Both Sid and Geno have disappeared equally the last two playoff series and it’s no surprise then the team has only won one game...they both have only,four points the last two years in the playoffs...Sid was slightly better against MTL and Geno was slightly better against the Isles the previous year. But to give heat to Geno for this and to not equally lambast Sid is to show incredible bias
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby Jim on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:46 pm

johnnews wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
johnnews wrote:Agree with the current Malkin situation, but anyone saying he disappears in the playoffs should You Tube his 2009 & 2017 playoff performances then write him a letter apologizing.


Are you actually thinking for one second I was referring to when he was younger? Wow. This thread isn't about how good he used to be, it is his trajectory which can't be expected to change with age.

Now, let's check the most recent 2 years. 8 games, 1g 3a. No even strength goals despite averaging around 20 minutes a game. Even in the prior year when he got 4, only 1 was even strength while Jake popped in 10, 8 ES. We're paying a lot for this.


As I said, I agree with current situation. It was stated he disappears every year in the playoffs. That statement is incorrect. The last 2 playoff years is certanly accurate.

And Jim disagrees. Shocker. I would think Jim would like writing a letter. Seems to suit his persona.


I didn't mention anything about disappearing in the playoffs, or disagree with if he does or doesn't. So, you got don't understand what I actually am talking about. Shocker. Maybe next time the lightbulb will go on for you.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,429
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby the riddler on Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:56 pm

Malkin had 74 points in 55 GP last year. 1.35 P/GP
He has 10 points in 16 games this year. 0.63 P/GP

Interesting that most of the Penguins other top players(Crosby, Guentzel, and Rust) have also seen a decline in their P/GP this year. Not as steep as Malkin's decline has been but their numbers are lower also. His line has not been good 5 on 5 this season. We can all speculate as to why his numbers have taken such a huge dive but no one can say for sure. We're talking about a guy who is 15th all time in P/GP up until this point in his career. That's not just hall of fame numbers, he's in pretty elite company.

That being said, he's obviously not been good this season but I don't think he's done or washed up. He was the Penguins top scorer last year. Less than 12 months ago.

Ultimately, this is something he's going to have to internally get through and find his game. I do think a good start would be getting him away from Zucker. I don't see any chemistry there and I'm a bit surprised Sully has stuck with that as long as he has.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,466
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:20 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:01 pm

the riddler wrote:Malkin had 74 points in 55 GP last year. 1.35 P/GP
He has 10 points in 16 games this year. 0.63 P/GP

Interesting that most of the Penguins other top players(Crosby, Guentzel, and Rust) have also seen a decline in their P/GP this year. Not as steep as Malkin's decline has been but their numbers are lower also. His line has not been good 5 on 5 this season. We can all speculate as to why his numbers have taken such a huge dive but no one can say for sure. We're talking about a guy who is 15th all time in P/GP up until this point in his career. That's not just hall of fame numbers, he's in pretty elite company.

That being said, he's obviously not been good this season but I don't think he's done or washed up. He was the Penguins top scorer last year. Less than 12 months ago.

Ultimately, this is something he's going to have to internally get through and find his game. I do think a good start would be getting him away from Zucker. I don't see any chemistry there and I'm a bit surprised Sully has stuck with that as long as he has.


Yes his scoring is down, quite a bit, but it's the eye test that adds to it as well. He looks terrible. He's turning the puck over a lot, he's been a nightmare on the power play, his hands look to be spiraling downward quickly. His skating is slow. His passing is off.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,193
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby Maestro on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:49 pm

Nothing is wrong with Malkin.

Keyboard Rambos on the other hand...
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,286
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby Jim on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:55 pm

Maestro wrote:Nothing is wrong with Malkin.

Keyboard Rambos on the other hand...


Image
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,429
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 pm

Jim wrote:
Maestro wrote:Nothing is wrong with Malkin.

Keyboard Rambos on the other hand...


Image

That reminded me of this:
Image
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,025
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:13 pm

Maestro wrote:Nothing is wrong with Malkin.

Keyboard Rambos on the other hand...


Oh okay, thanks for setting everyone straight.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,193
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: What do you think is really wrong with Malkin?

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:32 pm

Meanwhile, forum users:
Image

Malkin is wrong with Malkin.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,653
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


cron
e-mail