Next Penguins Head Coach

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Next Pens Head Coach

Vellucci
22%
Gallant
57%
Stevens
No votes
Babcock
9%
Boudreau
4%
Hakstol
No votes
Other
9%

Total votes : 23

Next Penguins Head Coach

Postby BurghThing on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:56 pm

So who's it going to be? You know Mike's not gonna make it to the end of the month.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Next Penguins Head Coach

Postby E-Ramone on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:19 am

Seems like the team is pretty flat and uninspired. Not sure if Sullivan is entirely to blame, but I agree that he might be close to being done. I went with Vellucci. Pens have a good track record of firing the coach and promoting from within so why not give another shot?
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:25 am

E-Ramone wrote:Seems like the team is pretty flat and uninspired. Not sure if Sullivan is entirely to blame, but I agree that he might be close to being done. I went with Vellucci. Pens have a good track record of firing the coach and promoting from within so why not give another shot?

I’m guessing Hextall wants his own guy. If Vellucci gets it, maybe it’s interim for the rest of season. Then barring huge success, Hextall brings his own guy in.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:04 am

I went with Gallant. Gallant seems like more of a Hextall type guy, and I would expect Gallant would want to get some bigger bodies onto the roster and actually play them.

BTW, Calgary has 1 less point than Pittsburgh with playing 2 more games. They have scored 2 less goals, and given up 2 more than Pittsburgh. Like Pittsburgh, they sit in 5th place in their division. They fired Geoff Ward and replaced him with Daryl Sutter after the game tonight. Ward, though, doesn't have 2 Cups...but still, Sullivan should be on the hot seat.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:24 am

Gallant 1st choice, Velluci 2nd ! But we need Reirden gone too.. new coach, whole new staff, no leftovers!

Also Geno or Kris needs to go OR even both.. it simple as that
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:29 am

FLPensFan wrote:I went with Gallant. Gallant seems like more of a Hextall type guy, and I would expect Gallant would want to get some bigger bodies onto the roster and actually play them.

BTW, Calgary has 1 less point than Pittsburgh with playing 2 more games. They have scored 2 less goals, and given up 2 more than Pittsburgh. Like Pittsburgh, they sit in 5th place in their division. They fired Geoff Ward and replaced him with Daryl Sutter after the game tonight. Ward, though, doesn't have 2 Cups...but still, Sullivan should be on the hot seat.

After a 7-3 win.

Pens collapse huge and the coaches remain the same.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby no name on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:33 am

Not that I would pick Reirden but surprised he wasn't on the list.

I went with Babcock, would like to see how he would come back in the league and coach having to be calmer and tamer with his players.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:45 am

Coaches are hired to be fired, and no doubt Sullivan will be canned at some point. However you could bring Scotty Bowman in during his prime and this team isn't improving much. Time for everyone in the organization to admit the window has closed on this group to win a cup and go about the business of rebuilding this team.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 am

It was amazing during our cups under Sullivan, the team played with such jump and was on top of the puck carrier. Our team was tenacious Chipping bodies, playing with speed. Its hard to believe Sullivans voice is silent now in the locker room. But when you loose the room.

Sullivan will be like most NHL coaches who won a cup, he will be hired 2 or 3 times after this just cause he won a cup.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:59 am

It was amazing during our cups under Sullivan, the team played with such jump and was on top of the puck carrier. Our team was tenacious Chipping bodies, playing with speed. Its hard to believe Sullivans voice is silent now in the locker room. But when you loose the room.

Sullivan will be like most NHL coaches who won a cup, he will be hired 2 or 3 times after this just cause he won a cup.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:03 am

no name wrote:It was amazing during our cups under Sullivan, the team played with such jump and was on top of the puck carrier. Our team was tenacious Chipping bodies, playing with speed. Its hard to believe Sullivans voice is silent now in the locker room. But when you loose the room.

All sports recycle coaches, so I think most NHL franchises would look seriously at a guy who won back to back cups. I doubt he will be unemployed for long once he leaves Pittsburgh.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:14 am

Hextall and Burke spent the first month of their tenure praising Sullivan. I can't wait to see the messageboard "But they said..." posts if they replace him.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:12 am

Seattle and Ron Francis has not yet hired a head coach.
Coach Sullivan hasn't wanted to coach these penguins with a defense / trap system. I don't see them winning goal for goal games with the current roster.

Last night's game- didn't help to lose a D man early. With the physical hits by Patrick, a penguin needed to respond the 2nd time- all out fight. Lafferty?
Short memory , get the 2 points Saturday.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:12 pm

Maybe Calgary made the move for Sutter because they thought the Pens might be considering him.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:02 pm

penny lane wrote:Seattle and Ron Francis has not yet hired a head coach.
Coach Sullivan hasn't wanted to coach these penguins with a defense / trap system. I don't see them winning goal for goal games with the current roster.

Last night's game- didn't help to lose a D man early. With the physical hits by Patrick, a penguin needed to respond the 2nd time- all out fight. Lafferty?

Sullivan & Company want to play like its 2016 again, but the core players are five years older so good luck with that. They're a disaster in their own zone, and have become a perimeter team on offense when they decide to shoot. Changing the coach would get their attention, but it doesn't fix the systemic issues.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ericf on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:30 pm

pens_CT wrote:

Sullivan & Company want to play like its 2016 again, but the core players are five years older so good luck with that. They're a disaster in their own zone, and have become a perimeter team on offense when they decide to shoot. Changing the coach would get their attention, but it doesn't fix the systemic issues.

Huh? It might because a new coach would presumably bring in a new system. I’ve long said that as Sid and G age, the team should be playing a more layered trap game like the Isles play, with the idea being the top six could feast off turnovers generated in the NZ and DZ more, the type of counterpunching we were successful at in 2017
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:00 pm

Ericf wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Huh? It might because a new coach would presumably bring in a new system. I’ve long said that as Sid and G age, the team should be playing a more layered trap game like the Isles play, with the idea being the top six could feast off turnovers generated in the NZ and DZ more, the type of counterpunching we were successful at in 2017

The problem is, with the compacted schedule you don't have a lot of time for practice to learn a new system. The new system would mostly have to wait until next season to implement.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:19 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Ericf wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

The problem is, with the compacted schedule you don't have a lot of time for practice to learn a new system. The new system would mostly have to wait until next season to implement.

Yes, this is a concern I had as well. If you don't go with an internal candidate like Vellucci, trying to bring in a new coach and new system in this type of schedule probably won't have a great chance of success. I was going to save this for the Morning After post, but, since there isn't one, I'll this stuff here.

First, as pens_ct said, the team is horrible right now in front of the net, in both zones. Dejan had a piece this morning covering a lot of topics, and this was a big one. He showed a clip of a Crosby line shift to start the 2nd period. The line dominated possession in the Flyers zone for about 20 seconds to start the 2nd period, but they got zero shots on goal. Taking a closer look...Rust went to the right side of the net for 1-2 seconds then spun off, and Guentzel made an attempt to cut down the slot to the net but never got a pass. That's it during that entire 20 second sequence. Nobody else went to the net or even skated through the high danger area from the faceoff dots into the net area. Everything was along the boards and the outside. That isn't going to work.

I had also went through all 12 goals of the Penguins last 4 games (really 3 since they got shutout by the Islanders). Of the 12 goals, 6 were scored in close proximity to the net, plus 2 more were breakaways. 66% of their goals from the dirty areas. Pretty easy to see they need to go there more. This isn't just about losing Hornqvist. It just seems like the entire team is tired of taking a beating in the slot and chooses to avoid it when possible. Look at the goals scored against the Flyers early. Letang had a tipped floater from the point, which is where the defensemen are going to score most times. But Friedman drove the slot late and scored, and McCann ran himself through the net as he scored.

The other item of concern is, the team still seems to have no idea how to fix things, and that isn't necessarily on Sullivan. Here are three quotes Dejan had that stood out.

From Letang, on what happened after the 3-0 lead:
"We didn't keep pressing. Like, we came out of the gate pretty aggressive, got rewarded ... but let our foot off the gas for the rest of the game, thinking we can get away with it. But in this league, there's too much talent and skill. A three-goal lead, especially early, is not safe. ... We knew we had Sid back, everybody was excited for it ... and we think it's going to be easy for the rest of the game."

Sullivan, on Penguins failure in the middle of the rink (dirty areas)
"Obviously," he began his reply after taking a moment, "the majority of games are won and lost at the net-fronts, and you've got to do a good job at both ends of the rink in that regard. We've got to defend hard in our end, and we've got to get to the net in the opponent's end. When you look at how offense is generated in today's game, there's a fair amount of it where the puck goes low-to-high, and then there's traffic at the net. I didn't think we were good enough in front of our net tonight," he concluded, "and I don't think we spent enough time in the offensive zone to get to their net."

Sullivan on the team's inconsistent play:
"If I had an answer for you, I could probably fix it. It's frustrating from the coaches' standpoint, because I know we're capable of more consistent play. But we haven't found it yet."

It wasn't in this DK article, but I had heard somewhere that it was said (by coaches/managemet) players that haven't been here that long (ie, were not part of the Cup teams) are not buying in, executing, or showing the drive to want to win a Cup. That's surprising in several cases. Surprising that short timers who haven't been here that long would already have this attitude, but, also a bit surprising to me that again, the team refuses to place blame on the core.

This team is a mess. Hextall needs to do something soon to try and adjust. I don't think there is one move or one easy answer. Firing the coach is only going to get the team so far. Making one shakeup trade likely won't solve some of the systematic breakdowns. Not sure what can be done here.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:29 pm

To me, the come from behind and OT wins demonstrate this roster is capable of generating enough offense to win games, and the window is still slightly ajar.

Injuries have not helped, but the defensive lapses, absent PP and lack of consistent effort suggest a coaching change is past due.

Jarry has bounced back after a rocky start but will lose confidence in himself again if the slot is continually filled with opposing players. I'm not suggesting pure muscle is the answer, but the D are continually leaving opposing players alone in the slot. This seems to be 50% individual failure from poor decision making, and 50% coaching in terms of strategy and assignments.

Jake and Geno should have been tried weeks ago, the PP is stale, young players get zero margin for error while the stars have zero accountability, but Sully is too stubborn. The lack of effort for a full game is so reminiscent of the closing tenure of disco Dan.

Hex n Burke have been so hesitant I feel something like a 4 game losing steak or losing 7 of 10 will be needed before the coaching staff are relieved, and by then it will likely be too late.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:30 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
Ericf wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

It wasn't in this DK article, but I had heard somewhere that it was said (by coaches/managemet) players that haven't been here that long (ie, were not part of the Cup teams) are not buying in, executing, or showing the drive to want to win a Cup. That's surprising in several cases. Surprising that short timers who haven't been here that long would already have this attitude, but, also a bit surprising to me that again, the team refuses to place blame on the core.

If the stuff about the short timers is true, you can pin part of that on the coaching staff, but mainly on the leadership group of the team who have been here for three cups. They should be the ones who drive the attitude and what is expected when you play for this franchise. If true there needs to be major changes here, not just the coaching staff.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:38 pm

Ericf wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

There is no doubt they need to change how they play the game. However playing a trap game doesn't help when you're a total disaster playing in your own end. Trapping doesn't help you when you have players who want to play a soft perimeter game and are always looking to make the perfect play rather than shooting and having other players driving the net for a rebound.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:48 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Ericf wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I don't see the need to wait. The team as it exists now is going absolutely nowhere with the current system. Who cares if they don't have time to fully implement a new one this season? They could get a jump on it for the rest of this season, and be ready to go when next season begins. What would the purpose of treading water with the status quo do them this year? Treat the rest of this season as an extended training camp/preseason. If it clicks early, even better, but I see no point in continuing on like this to see another one and out, or not make the playoffs at all. I'd much rather see them work out the kinks this year than try to jam in something new next year, which would likely result in two lost seasons with Crosby rather than the one we already face.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Luckybreak wrote:To me, the come from behind and OT wins demonstrate this roster is capable of generating enough offense to win games, and the window is still slightly ajar.

Injuries have not helped, but the defensive lapses, absent PP and lack of consistent effort suggest a coaching change is past due.

Jarry has bounced back after a rocky start but will lose confidence in himself again if the slot is continually filled with opposing players. I'm not suggesting pure muscle is the answer, but the D are continually leaving opposing players alone in the slot. This seems to be 50% individual failure from poor decision making, and 50% coaching in terms of strategy and assignments.

Jake and Geno should have been tried weeks ago, the PP is stale, young players get zero margin for error while the stars have zero accountability, but Sully is too stubborn. The lack of effort for a full game is so reminiscent of the closing tenure of disco Dan.

Hex n Burke have been so hesitant I feel something like a 4 game losing steak or losing 7 of 10 will be needed before the coaching staff are relieved, and by then it will likely be too late.

The come from behind and OT wins, to me, are just more of let's only play when we have to mentality. Plus, there is no OT and Shootout in the playoffs, so, if they are getting the large majority of their wins that way, that's not going to work should they make playoffs.

I also see a lot of people saying "But we have Buffalo and NJ games" coming up. That might help the points and the team get into the playoffs, but if this team is banking on Buffalo and NJ to get them in, that's not a good look either. They need to play well against the good teams, and, I have yet to see them put in 3 solid games in a row at any point this season.

If Sullivan isn't going to bench players, then shuffle them to the 4th line during games and reduce their playing time to get points across. His buddy Torts isn't afraid to do that with star players like Laine and PLD. Maybe Sully needs to learn that lesson.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:51 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:To me, the come from behind and OT wins demonstrate this roster is capable of generating enough offense to win games, and the window is still slightly ajar.

The come from behind and OT wins, to me, are just more of let's only play when we have to mentality. Plus, there is no OT and Shootout in the playoffs, so, if they are getting the large majority of their wins that way, that's not going to work should they make playoffs.

I also see a lot of people saying "But we have Buffalo and NJ games" coming up. That might help the points and the team get into the playoffs, but if this team is banking on Buffalo and NJ to get them in, that's not a good look either. They need to play well against the good teams, and, I have yet to see them put in 3 solid games in a row at any point this season.

If Sullivan isn't going to bench players, then shuffle them to the 4th line during games and reduce their playing time to get points across. His buddy Torts isn't afraid to do that with star players like Laine and PLD. Maybe Sully needs to learn that lesson.

The records of the top 5 teams in the East vs each other...
BOS 8-3-2
PHI 6-4-2
WSH 6-3-3
NYI 5-4-4
PIT 9-8-1
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:27 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

Re the OT wins, totally agree that won't cut it in playoffs. They can play well, it's more like: why aren't they motivated to do so from game to game, or at least for 60 minutes? That's as much on the coach as players.

I still feel there might be a chance that there's a long shot at another Cup. Not with the current roster, but certainly not with the current coaching staff. Whatever happens needs to happen soon.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins