2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:49 pm

FLPensFan wrote:My guess here:

--Main part of the deal was Palmieri for a 1st
--Rumor is nobody else was willing to give up a 1st, only 2nd for Palmieri
--Isles likely said they'd only give up the 1st with something else coming back and retention, which is how Zajac gets added
--Greer and Jobst are filler simply to even out contracts.
--4th rounder becomes a 3rd if Islanders reach Cup Finals


I still think the Isles get the better of this deal, the Devils should have insisted on the 3rd being conditional to Isles winning the East not getting to the Finals
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,762
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Around the league....

--Alec Martinez is not on the ice for Vegas warmups. Hearing this is cap related, and Vegas will dress 5D and 12F. (But not sure I buy that being that not dressing a player doesn't remove his cap hit unless he is sent to AHL).
--For STL, Mike Hoffman and Robert Bortuzzo are not out for warmups.

Holding players out is picking up.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,799
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Around the league....

--Alec Martinez is not on the ice for Vegas warmups. Hearing this is cap related, and Vegas will dress 5D and 12F. (But not sure I buy that being that not dressing a player doesn't remove his cap hit unless he is sent to AHL).
--For STL, Mike Hoffman and Robert Bortuzzo are not out for warmups.

Holding players out is picking up.

There was been a lot of talking of adding some scoring to the 3rd line. Maybe look at Hoffman now that the Palmieri deal has set the market. Maybe offer up a 2022 2nd rounder.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,319
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby longtimefan on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:25 pm

Here's some excerpts form Yohe's article interviewing Hextall.
https://theathletic.com/2504000/2021/04 ... -injuries/

But are these Penguins a Stanley Cup contender right now if Hextall doesn’t make a move before the April 12 deadline? And along those lines, are the Penguins better than Hextall realized when he and Brian Burke took over hockey operations two months ago?

“That’s a good question,” Hextall said. “I thought it was a good team when we took over. Obviously, at the time, we weren’t playing up to the capability that we could. All of a sudden, we turned it around and played very good hockey. To me, every year you say, ‘Look, how many Cup contenders are there?’ I think there are a lot this year. There is balance in the league. A lot of teams have a chance to win. We are one of those teams. I think our players believe that as well. In the last six weeks, guys have played really well.”


“Probably a month ago, we were more active looking for a center,” he said. “The way things have flushed out, we’ve had some guys do some pretty good jobs in the middle. Jared (McCann) and Freddy Gaudreau have really stepped up for us. There isn’t quite as much urgency now.


“We would like a big, physical forward,” he said. “We’ve said that right from the start. The right guy has to be out there at the right price. Sometimes you have to wait for something to come along that a team is willing to part with. You can always use depth in the middle. It’s reality. There’s a lot of centers that can play the wing. There aren’t a lot of wings that can play the middle. You always like having depth at center. But in the past four or five weeks, a couple of guys have proven they can be effective for us down the middle.”


“When we get those guys back, the danger is that we tend to sit back a little bit,” he said. “Geno and Kappy are back — guys can sit back now. No. So, we’ll have to fight that a bit. But I like our team. I like our depth. I don’t like the past two games. We have some things to clean up. But I like where we are right now.”


“The one thing the injuries have done, they’ve made us feel more comfortable with the depth that we have,” he said. “Evan Rodrigues, Freddy, Anthony Angello and (Colton) Sceviour have done a good job for us. Then (Radim) Zohorna comes in and has given us some depth. But again, if we can find something that makes us better and the price is right, we’ll certainly act on it.”


No prospects are untouchable, but Hextall doesn’t plan on parting with Samuel Poulin, Nathan Legare or Pierre-Olivier Joseph.

“It would really have to make us a noticeably better team to part with future assets,” Hextall said. “If it’s there, we will weigh it out. But it would have to give us a good jolt as a team. I like our team. We have balance now and into the future. But we aren’t going to give future assets away for players that will make us minimally better. We’re as banged up now as hopefully we can be. Guys have filled in admirably. If there’s an impact player and the price is right, we’ll look at it.”


Hextall loves the flexibility McCann gives the Penguins. He can play center or wing. Hextall was asked if he prefers McCann at one spot over the other.

“He’s been very good in the middle, but I think over his career he’s played well on the wing also,” Hextall said. “Having those guys that can play both positions is critical, as we saw when Geno and Teddy (Blueger) went down. We said, ‘OK, how are we going to fill this hole?’ Those were pretty big holes to fill. Jared has done a good job.”


A rental player isn’t out of the question.

“When you’re a manager, you’ve got to consider everything, but I do like the chemistry that we’ve built over the last six or seven weeks,” Hextall said. “You can’t overlook that. I’d anticipate a hockey deal. If there’s anything, it would be a move to help us right now. We do have a cap issue next summer. You’ve got to be cognizant of that. There’s expansion. You’ve got to be cognizant of that. But we’d like to get better right now.”
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,017
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Around the league....

--Alec Martinez is not on the ice for Vegas warmups. Hearing this is cap related, and Vegas will dress 5D and 12F. (But not sure I buy that being that not dressing a player doesn't remove his cap hit unless he is sent to AHL).
--For STL, Mike Hoffman and Robert Bortuzzo are not out for warmups.

Holding players out is picking up.


Vegas has been short a few times lately due to injuries and cap.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,765
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby brwi on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:50 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
ville5 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:#Isles have acquired Kyle Palmieri and Travis Zajac from the #NJDevils for A.J. Greer, Mason Jobst, a first-round pick this year and and a conditional fourth-round selection next year. Devils retain 50 percent of Palmieri's and Zajac's salaries.


Well at least Boston didn't get Palmieri.

WOW. Why would NJ do this? Those 2 guy's AHL stats are very underwhelming. And Jobst is 27?


Greer has been a pretty big disappointment. Jobst didn't start college hockey until he was 22? Neither are lighting it up in the AHL, you're right. Maybe scouts see something. Maybe it's just about the number 1 pick.


In normal times you think Palmieri would get you a 1st even as a rental by himself. Looks like they added Zajac for some spare parts, and a conditional 4th.

My guess here:

--Main part of the deal was Palmieri for a 1st
--Rumor is nobody else was willing to give up a 1st, only 2nd for Palmieri
--Isles likely said they'd only give up the 1st with something else coming back and retention, which is how Zajac gets added
--Greer and Jobst are filler simply to even out contracts.
--4th rounder becomes a 3rd if Islanders reach Cup Finals


The Isles get stronger with Palmieri who is a better fit on that team than a Taylor Hall and the 1st rounder is going to be late pick that isn't that valuable. The salary retention leaves them with 3mil+ to do something else if the opportunity comes up. Pretty solid deal by LL.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,536
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby longtimefan on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:26 pm

If the price is right, as it looks now like it may be, Sam Bennett becomes your best inexpensive high ceiling prospect. Part of it is that 4th overall pedigree and that 18 year goal season early on. Part of it is the unquantifiable other attributes he brings to a team. At worse, he can bring some physicality to your bottom 6. He's not a big guy. Similar to Kapanen. But he plays an old school, hard nosed game. He also has that playoff resume. The thing is, he won't be available for a while. I think I remember there be a 6 day quarantine if he takes a commercial flight? If he's delayed and they trade for him at the deadline, he's only going to get 12- 15 regular season games in max. But I'd like to see if playoff Bennett might fit nicely alongside Geno and Kapanen. He'd bring some attitude and physicality to the team, and might fit well going to the net for Geno and Kappy. And when players try to get Geno to engage after the whistle, Bennett can step into the scrums.

There are better candidates, but not available, at least at an affordable price. I'm not as interested in how many points he adds, more so what else he brings. Chris Kunitz was a great fit in the top 6 in 2009, but only scored one playoff goal. But he was a true physical force, especially wearing down the defense over a long series. He always finished a check with malaise. If he can play there, your lines would likely fall in place a lot easier.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Bennett Malkin Kapanen
Zucker McCann Rodrigues
ZAR Blueger Tanev

He may bomb, but he may fit well enough. It keeps BART together on the 4th line, and a 3rd line that can generate some offense, and has shown a little chemistry with a small sample size. If you don't give up a ton, you don't have to sacrifice much, if any, of your current roster. So go back to what you had with Bennett added into the mix in the bottom 6 if it doesn't work.

Calgary likely won't protect him, which is one of the reasons they want to move him. The feeling in Calgary is that Seattle would almost certainly pick him. Which makes some sense. He's only 24, and the pedigree is still recent. He's also one of those players who doesn't have to score a lot to be valuable. The Pens will likely not protect him either. There's no reason to believe Seattle would feel differently. He may save the BART line. Or leave them with a legitimate option next year if they feel he's worth bringing back. Or they could use him as a rental and simply walk away. It all comes down to price. But he could be a home run even if he doesn't score much.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,017
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:26 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Ontario has 4 week shutdown. Are the Leafs still allowed to play?


They played in Toronto tonight.

21 players on Vancouver have tested positive for Covid, sucks for them since they are sellers. I can't see teams trading for a player who is currently in isolation with Covid
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,762
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:33 pm

longtimefan wrote:If the price is right, as it looks now like it may be, Sam Bennett becomes your best inexpensive high ceiling prospect. Part of it is that 4th overall pedigree and that 18 year goal season early on. Part of it is the unquantifiable other attributes he brings to a team. At worse, he can bring some physicality to your bottom 6. He's not a big guy. Similar to Kapanen. But he plays an old school, hard nosed game. He also has that playoff resume. The thing is, he won't be available for a while. I think I remember there be a 6 day quarantine if he takes a commercial flight? If he's delayed and they trade for him at the deadline, he's only going to get 12- 15 regular season games in max. But I'd like to see if playoff Bennett might fit nicely alongside Geno and Kapanen. He'd bring some attitude and physicality to the team, and might fit well going to the net for Geno and Kappy. And when players try to get Geno to engage after the whistle, Bennett can step into the scrums.

There are better candidates, but not available, at least at an affordable price. I'm not as interested in how many points he adds, more so what else he brings. Chris Kunitz was a great fit in the top 6 in 2009, but only scored one playoff goal. But he was a true physical force, especially wearing down the defense over a long series. He always finished a check with malaise. If he can play there, your lines would likely fall in place a lot easier.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Bennett Malkin Kapanen
Zucker McCann Rodrigues
ZAR Blueger Tanev

He may bomb, but he may fit well enough. It keeps BART together on the 4th line, and a 3rd line that can generate some offense, and has shown a little chemistry with a small sample size. If you don't give up a ton, you don't have to sacrifice much, if any, of your current roster. So go back to what you had with Bennett added into the mix in the bottom 6 if it doesn't work.

Calgary likely won't protect him, which is one of the reasons they want to move him. The feeling in Calgary is that Seattle would almost certainly pick him. Which makes some sense. He's only 24, and the pedigree is still recent. He's also one of those players who doesn't have to score a lot to be valuable. The Pens will likely not protect him either. There's no reason to believe Seattle would feel differently. He may save the BART line. Or leave them with a legitimate option next year if they feel he's worth bringing back. Or they could use him as a rental and simply walk away. It all comes down to price. But he could be a home run even if he doesn't score much.

I'm pretty much zeroed in on Bennett and Laughton as the best two choices at this point. I like Laughton better, but, I think the cost to acquire him would also be higher.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,799
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby longtimefan on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:If the price is right, as it looks now like it may be, Sam Bennett becomes your best inexpensive high ceiling prospect. Part of it is that 4th overall pedigree and that 18 year goal season early on. Part of it is the unquantifiable other attributes he brings to a team. At worse, he can bring some physicality to your bottom 6. He's not a big guy. Similar to Kapanen. But he plays an old school, hard nosed game. He also has that playoff resume. The thing is, he won't be available for a while. I think I remember there be a 6 day quarantine if he takes a commercial flight? If he's delayed and they trade for him at the deadline, he's only going to get 12- 15 regular season games in max. But I'd like to see if playoff Bennett might fit nicely alongside Geno and Kapanen. He'd bring some attitude and physicality to the team, and might fit well going to the net for Geno and Kappy. And when players try to get Geno to engage after the whistle, Bennett can step into the scrums.

There are better candidates, but not available, at least at an affordable price. I'm not as interested in how many points he adds, more so what else he brings. Chris Kunitz was a great fit in the top 6 in 2009, but only scored one playoff goal. But he was a true physical force, especially wearing down the defense over a long series. He always finished a check with malaise. If he can play there, your lines would likely fall in place a lot easier.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Bennett Malkin Kapanen
Zucker McCann Rodrigues
ZAR Blueger Tanev

He may bomb, but he may fit well enough. It keeps BART together on the 4th line, and a 3rd line that can generate some offense, and has shown a little chemistry with a small sample size. If you don't give up a ton, you don't have to sacrifice much, if any, of your current roster. So go back to what you had with Bennett added into the mix in the bottom 6 if it doesn't work.

Calgary likely won't protect him, which is one of the reasons they want to move him. The feeling in Calgary is that Seattle would almost certainly pick him. Which makes some sense. He's only 24, and the pedigree is still recent. He's also one of those players who doesn't have to score a lot to be valuable. The Pens will likely not protect him either. There's no reason to believe Seattle would feel differently. He may save the BART line. Or leave them with a legitimate option next year if they feel he's worth bringing back. Or they could use him as a rental and simply walk away. It all comes down to price. But he could be a home run even if he doesn't score much.

I'm pretty much zeroed in on Bennett and Laughton as the best two choices at this point. I like Laughton better, but, I think the cost to acquire him would also be higher.



I'm suspecting Laughton is a very real possibility this summer as a UFA. But a long shot here. A different get. It's stupid, as Jim said the other day. But that whole Pittsburgh/Philly trade taboo seems valid. Here's a rake from Lyle Rchardson at Spector's today:
https://www.spectorshockey.net/2021/04/ ... il-7-2021/

SPORTSNET: Elliotte Friedman believes the Philadelphia Flyers are listening to offers for Scott Laughton. There hasn’t been much contract extension talk regarding the UFA center. He can see the Pittsburgh Penguins with interest in the Flyers forward.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Anything’s possible but I think Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher could look at moving Laughton to anyone except the Penguins.


It's not just the fans being paranoid. It's stupid, but seems to be a real thing. Something tells me Philly won't sell so long as they feel there's a shot. This is a team expected to challenge for the division with an excellent chance of coming out of it. They likely should sell, but will they allow themselves to accept it?
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,017
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:08 pm

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:If the price is right, as it looks now like it may be, Sam Bennett becomes your best inexpensive high ceiling prospect. Part of it is that 4th overall pedigree and that 18 year goal season early on. Part of it is the unquantifiable other attributes he brings to a team. At worse, he can bring some physicality to your bottom 6. He's not a big guy. Similar to Kapanen. But he plays an old school, hard nosed game. He also has that playoff resume. The thing is, he won't be available for a while. I think I remember there be a 6 day quarantine if he takes a commercial flight? If he's delayed and they trade for him at the deadline, he's only going to get 12- 15 regular season games in max. But I'd like to see if playoff Bennett might fit nicely alongside Geno and Kapanen. He'd bring some attitude and physicality to the team, and might fit well going to the net for Geno and Kappy. And when players try to get Geno to engage after the whistle, Bennett can step into the scrums.

There are better candidates, but not available, at least at an affordable price. I'm not as interested in how many points he adds, more so what else he brings. Chris Kunitz was a great fit in the top 6 in 2009, but only scored one playoff goal. But he was a true physical force, especially wearing down the defense over a long series. He always finished a check with malaise. If he can play there, your lines would likely fall in place a lot easier.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Bennett Malkin Kapanen
Zucker McCann Rodrigues
ZAR Blueger Tanev

He may bomb, but he may fit well enough. It keeps BART together on the 4th line, and a 3rd line that can generate some offense, and has shown a little chemistry with a small sample size. If you don't give up a ton, you don't have to sacrifice much, if any, of your current roster. So go back to what you had with Bennett added into the mix in the bottom 6 if it doesn't work.

Calgary likely won't protect him, which is one of the reasons they want to move him. The feeling in Calgary is that Seattle would almost certainly pick him. Which makes some sense. He's only 24, and the pedigree is still recent. He's also one of those players who doesn't have to score a lot to be valuable. The Pens will likely not protect him either. There's no reason to believe Seattle would feel differently. He may save the BART line. Or leave them with a legitimate option next year if they feel he's worth bringing back. Or they could use him as a rental and simply walk away. It all comes down to price. But he could be a home run even if he doesn't score much.

I'm pretty much zeroed in on Bennett and Laughton as the best two choices at this point. I like Laughton better, but, I think the cost to acquire him would also be higher.



I'm suspecting Laughton is a very real possibility this summer as a UFA. But a long shot here. A different get. It's stupid, as Jim said the other day. But that whole Pittsburgh/Philly trade taboo seems valid. Here's a rake from Lyle Rchardson at Spector's today:
https://www.spectorshockey.net/2021/04/ ... il-7-2021/

SPORTSNET: Elliotte Friedman believes the Philadelphia Flyers are listening to offers for Scott Laughton. There hasn’t been much contract extension talk regarding the UFA center. He can see the Pittsburgh Penguins with interest in the Flyers forward.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Anything’s possible but I think Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher could look at moving Laughton to anyone except the Penguins.


It's not just the fans being paranoid. It's stupid, but seems to be a real thing. Something tells me Philly won't sell so long as they feel there's a shot. This is a team expected to challenge for the division with an excellent chance of coming out of it. They likely should sell, but will they allow themselves to accept it?

Would hope to see them try and work something out, even if they have to get creative and find a 3rd team. Laughton checks the size and physical box, and also the ability to play center and wing. He's pretty good on draws in his career, although slightly below 50% this season.

The Flyers play the Islanders tomorrow and Boston Saturday, lose those 2 games, and I think they are done. Flyers are currently at 41 points, 5 behind Boston but with 2 more games played. Boston wins tomorrow against Washington and Saturday against Flyers, they increase their lead to 9 points with still 2 games in hand. That would seem like too big of a difference, IMO, to make up.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,799
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby longtimefan on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:34 am

They're obviously doing these as group zoom interviews with Hextall. Here's one of the quotes from Yohe's article which I was a bit puzzled by.

A rental player isn’t out of the question.

“When you’re a manager, you’ve got to consider everything, but I do like the chemistry that we’ve built over the last six or seven weeks,” Hextall said. “You can’t overlook that. I’d anticipate a hockey deal. If there’s anything, it would be a move to help us right now. We do have a cap issue next summer. You’ve got to be cognizant of that. There’s expansion. You’ve got to be cognizant of that. But we’d like to get better right now.”


Now compare that to the quote in Seth's article this morning.
https://triblive.com/sports/penguins-ge ... right-now/

“When you’re a manager, you’ve got to listen to everything and consider everything. But I do like the chemistry that we have built up over the last six, seven weeks. So you certainly can’t overlook that. So I wouldn’t anticipate, right now, a hockey deal. If there’s going to be anything, I think it would be more of a move to help us right now. We do have a (salary) cap issue next year, so you have to be cognizant of that. There is expansion next year, you have to be cognizant of that. Anything we look at right now will probably be more something that can make us better right now.”


Amazing hearing one word differently changes the whole meaning. In this case, I thought the wording was a bit odd in Yohe's piece. Seth' piece seems to make more sense. Anyway, just found that discrepancy. Make's trying to figure things out all the more confusing. :)
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,017
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby ville5 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:39 am

longtimefan wrote:They're obviously doing these as group zoom interviews with Hextall. Here's one of the quotes from Yohe's article which I was a bit puzzled by.

A rental player isn’t out of the question.

“When you’re a manager, you’ve got to consider everything, but I do like the chemistry that we’ve built over the last six or seven weeks,” Hextall said. “You can’t overlook that. I’d anticipate a hockey deal. If there’s anything, it would be a move to help us right now. We do have a cap issue next summer. You’ve got to be cognizant of that. There’s expansion. You’ve got to be cognizant of that. But we’d like to get better right now.”


Now compare that to the quote in Seth's article this morning.
https://triblive.com/sports/penguins-ge ... right-now/

“When you’re a manager, you’ve got to listen to everything and consider everything. But I do like the chemistry that we have built up over the last six, seven weeks. So you certainly can’t overlook that. So I wouldn’t anticipate, right now, a hockey deal. If there’s going to be anything, I think it would be more of a move to help us right now. We do have a (salary) cap issue next year, so you have to be cognizant of that. There is expansion next year, you have to be cognizant of that. Anything we look at right now will probably be more something that can make us better right now.”


Amazing hearing one word differently changes the whole meaning. In this case, I thought the wording was a bit odd in Yohe's piece. Seth' piece seems to make more sense. Anyway, just found that discrepancy. Make's trying to figure things out all the more confusing. :)

Yohe also got the 1st sentence wrong. Molinari's is the same as Seth's.
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2021 ... assets-dwm
"When you're a manager, you have to listen to everything and consider everything," Hextall said. "But I do like the chemistry that we've built over the last six, seven weeks, so you certainly can't overlook that. If it would be anything, it would be more of a deal to help us right now. We do have a cap issue next year, so you have to be cognizant of that. There's expansion next year. You have to be cognizant of that. So I think anything we look at right now will be something that can make us better right now."
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,496
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:57 am

Does Laughton score enough to be considered a 3C? What would you offer him if he hits the open market this summer
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,762
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby longtimefan on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:41 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Does Laughton score enough to be considered a 3C? What would you offer him if he hits the open market this summer


He seems to be ascending right now. He's never scored more than 13 goals in a season, but that was last season, and he only played 49 games. Including this season, he has 20 goals and 44 points in his last 84 games. He turns 27 in May. He plays both center and wing. He adds a lot to a team. What's he worth? Who knows in this climate. There'd be interest in him, but it might depend on who the Pens lose in the expansion draft. If they keep Blueger, they may prefer to anoint him the 3C. I also believe they'll look at Lowry in the off season. I only see Laughton as an option in free agency, and there will be others. His connection to Hextall adds fuel to his fire. He's a good player though. I wouldn't be upset if they signed him. I would kind of enjoy rubbing the Flyers noses in it. :D
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,017
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby KG on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 am

In a perfect world Zucker, Geno, Kappy showed chemistry and we could focus on adding two players for the third line, if the intention is to keep BART on the 4th line.

I really prefer not to have EROD in the everyday lineup on the 3rd line come playoff time. Also, do we look for a 3C or let McCann stay there? That’s why I think Bennett makes sense. He can play center or wing, like McCann.

If we could get a Foligno and Bennett Monday, that would significantly change the makeup and physicality of the forward group.

Just don’t ask me what assets we are trading :)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,080
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:19 am

KG wrote:In a perfect world Zucker, Geno, Kappy showed chemistry and we could focus on adding two players for the third line, if the intention is to keep BART on the 4th line.

I really prefer not to have EROD in the everyday lineup on the 3rd line come playoff time. Also, do we look for a 3C or let McCann stay there? That’s why I think Bennett makes sense. He can play center or wing, like McCann.

If we could get a Foligno and Bennett Monday, that would significantly change the makeup and physicality of the forward group.

Just don’t ask me what assets we are trading :)


I'm sure there would be room since it would maybe probably require McCann/Blueger/1st...Guess it's a good way to get reduce the overall team speed and trade 2 of the best young players this team has for someone who doesn't want to play in the bottom 6 and a UFA that's not as good as the one you are trading away.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:22 am

longtimefan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Does Laughton score enough to be considered a 3C? What would you offer him if he hits the open market this summer


He seems to be ascending right now. He's never scored more than 13 goals in a season, but that was last season, and he only played 49 games. Including this season, he has 20 goals and 44 points in his last 84 games. He turns 27 in May. He plays both center and wing. He adds a lot to a team. What's he worth? Who knows in this climate. There'd be interest in him, but it might depend on who the Pens lose in the expansion draft. If they keep Blueger, they may prefer to anoint him the 3C. I also believe they'll look at Lowry in the off season. I only see Laughton as an option in free agency, and there will be others. His connection to Hextall adds fuel to his fire. He's a good player though. I wouldn't be upset if they signed him. I would kind of enjoy rubbing the Flyers noses in it. :D


For me it comes down to what the other 3C options are and how much Blueger is looking for in a raise. Lowry and Laughton are both very appealing options but like you said it comes down to how the market sets the price
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,762
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:22 am

KG wrote:In a perfect world Zucker, Geno, Kappy showed chemistry and we could focus on adding two players for the third line, if the intention is to keep BART on the 4th line.

I really prefer not to have EROD in the everyday lineup on the 3rd line come playoff time. Also, do we look for a 3C or let McCann stay there? That’s why I think Bennett makes sense. He can play center or wing, like McCann.

If we could get a Foligno and Bennett Monday, that would significantly change the makeup and physicality of the forward group.

Just don’t ask me what assets we are trading :)



To me minus how expensive he is, Foligno is exactly what Hexy and Burke are looking for. The question is how much do we have to give away for him and will they retain salary at all? He is also their captain so that is tricky during season. I was trying to think of someone that is a little cheaper but an equal comparative and I couldn't think of anyone. If we were to get Bennett and Foligno our lines could be this:

Jake - Sid - Rust
MCann - Malkin - Kappy
Zucker - Foligno - Bennett
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

That is a redic four lines.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,006
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:25 am

Frk on waivers. He could be our Ovechkin on the pp. 109 mph shot.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,319
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby pens_CT on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:31 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
KG wrote:In a perfect world Zucker, Geno, Kappy showed chemistry and we could focus on adding two players for the third line, if the intention is to keep BART on the 4th line.

I really prefer not to have EROD in the everyday lineup on the 3rd line come playoff time. Also, do we look for a 3C or let McCann stay there? That’s why I think Bennett makes sense. He can play center or wing, like McCann.

If we could get a Foligno and Bennett Monday, that would significantly change the makeup and physicality of the forward group.

Just don’t ask me what assets we are trading :)



To me minus how expensive he is, Foligno is exactly what Hexy and Burke are looking for. The question is how much do we have to give away for him and will they retain salary at all? He is also their captain so that is tricky during season. I was trying to think of someone that is a little cheaper but an equal comparative and I couldn't think of anyone. If we were to get Bennett and Foligno our lines could be this:

Jake - Sid - Rust
MCann - Malkin - Kappy
Zucker - Foligno - Bennett
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

That is a redic four lines.


Well Foligno doesn't play Center, and Bennett doesn't play RW, and he really isn't a NHL Center. Outside of that you're good to go.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,506
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:40 am

pens_CT wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
KG wrote:In a perfect world Zucker, Geno, Kappy showed chemistry and we could focus on adding two players for the third line, if the intention is to keep BART on the 4th line.

I really prefer not to have EROD in the everyday lineup on the 3rd line come playoff time. Also, do we look for a 3C or let McCann stay there? That’s why I think Bennett makes sense. He can play center or wing, like McCann.

If we could get a Foligno and Bennett Monday, that would significantly change the makeup and physicality of the forward group.

Just don’t ask me what assets we are trading :)



To me minus how expensive he is, Foligno is exactly what Hexy and Burke are looking for. The question is how much do we have to give away for him and will they retain salary at all? He is also their captain so that is tricky during season. I was trying to think of someone that is a little cheaper but an equal comparative and I couldn't think of anyone. If we were to get Bennett and Foligno our lines could be this:

Jake - Sid - Rust
MCann - Malkin - Kappy
Zucker - Foligno - Bennett
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

That is a redic four lines.


Well Foligno doesn't play Center, and Bennett doesn't play RW, and he really isn't a NHL Center. Outside of that you're good to go.

Bennett spent some time on RW with Monahan and Gaudreau but the line suffered as a result.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,319
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:46 am

What position does Foligno play? I thought it was C...haven't seen CBJ this year though.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,006
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:55 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:What position does Foligno play? I thought it was C...haven't seen CBJ this year though.

Mainly LW but can play center. Based on faceoff stats, 2017-2018 was the only year he spent his most time at center.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,319
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 Rumors - Roster Moves

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:58 am

Good to know. So who is possibly available that is like Foligno but plays center? I know we have MCann but I just really think he suits us better on the wing on line 2.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,006
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bse, Dynasty1970 and 18 guests


e-mail