Penguins summer and 21-22 roster decisions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Penguins summer and 21-22 roster decisions

Postby Ericf on Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:13 pm

I was listening to the PG’s Penguins podcast today and Mike DeFabo said he had heard that Geno tore an ACL and that he wanted to confirm it with Hextall but Hextall wouldn’t discuss it so he didn’t report it. I guess those that think he won’t be back until January might be right
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:03 am

Un, he's sick. My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Malkin"s knee woble at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:51 am

Jim wrote:Un, he's sick. My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Malkin"s knee woble at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:09 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:Un, he's sick. My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Malkin"s knee woble at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

Oh, you know him?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:34 am

A few notes from Josh Yohe's mailbag:

--Question was asked around why the late surgery for Crosby. Yohe said it was Crosby and team doctor decision at the end of the offseason that rest would adequately resolve the issue. It obviously got to a point where either rest wasn't working, or rest alone was not going to completely fix the issue. That is when surgery was decided.

--This one is more opinion...there were several questions around can this team make the playoffs and is the window closed. Yohe's general feedback was that the Metro overall isn't a very strong division, which should help the Penguins. His view was most teams did little or got weaker, and some of the non-playoff teams like Rangers and NJ got better, but still likely aren't guaranteed playoff teams yet. On the window, Yohe indicated his view is that the window with this core is closed. Doesn't see this team as a Cup contender. They are nowhere near a Tampa or Colorado right now. He did go on to say that, he does believe it is possible that, say, in 3-4 years an older Crosby is still on a team that is in position to make a strong run again.

--On Malkin and Letang coming back, Yohe stated that from what he has heard, Malkin is willing to take "considerably less" money to finish his NHL career in Pittsburgh. Said expects a deal to get done, but a lot of it will rest on how Malkin looks coming back from the knee injury. Letang, he says, is a much different issue. He says Letang is a very prideful guy. At his level of play and the amount of crazy money being thrown at defensemen, seeing Letang take LESS money seems like a longshot right now. This will be the one to watch. As Yohe pointed out, Darnell Nurse now makes more AAV than Crosby...and Letang is a better defenseman than Nurse. However, later on in the mailbag session, he said a 3 year deal worth 6.5M AAV seemed to be the fairest deal for Letang and the team, given that he would 37 at the end of the deal.

--An interesting question that came in from a reader, and that I had never heard...apparently when the Kessel to Pittsburgh trade occurred, Toronto had their pick of defensemen they could take between Harrington and Brian Dumoulin...and the Penguins at the time preferred that the Leafs took Dumoulin. So chalk that one up to getting a bit lucky there.

--On our young players, Yohe was asked if Poulin, Legare, and POJ see significant time at the NHL level this year. He answered yes to all 3, and said don't be surprised if Legare is the best of the 3. He is a pure goal scorer.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:56 am

Thanks for the info Florida. :fist:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Posterboy on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:38 am

Ericf wrote:I was listening to the PG’s Penguins podcast today and Mike DeFabo said he had heard that Geno tore an ACL and that he wanted to confirm it with Hextall but Hextall wouldn’t discuss it so he didn’t report it. I guess those that think he won’t be back until January might be right

If it's just an ACL that's actually good news compared to an MCL or MCL/ACL combination. He might be back in as little as 4 months depending on how rehab goes.

I really, REALLY hate using personal experience as any type of factual basis, but when I tore my ACL I was back on skates, skis and normal exercising in about 4 months. At my age the ortho recommended the allograft, which is sourced from a cadaver vs. an autograft, which comes from your own tendons located elsewhere. I have no idea which Malkin may have had. I know that allo rupture rates are higher in younger athletes so they usually still recommend auto. A couple of benefits to the allograft are that there's no donor site healing needed and there's usually less pain and time during recovery/rehab. Concerns around the allo are how the cadaver tendon is prepared (chemically, eradiation) that might weaken it. To my knowledge there's still not a viable synthetic replacement option for the ligament(s). The techniques for both surgeries have improved so much though that failure rates have dropped quite a bit, although we are talking about an aging athlete at an elite level of competition.

One big thing to consider is how much damage was done to the meniscus. Almost all ACL/MCL injuries have this and its severity contributes highly to the amount of pain and swelling that occurs. The meniscus is basically the cushion between the long bones where they come together to create the knee joint. If it is too damaged sometimes it's removed completely, which leaves bone on bone. That can be the bigger issue vs. an actual graft failure.

I'm sure there's an ortho, exercise physiologist or physical therapist who can explain all this better and correct all my misinformation. :D Even still, unless they were directly involved in his case, there's really no way to be sure what his recovery time might be. I think just an ACL with minimal damage to the meniscus would be a best case scenario though and require less rehab than some may think.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:41 am

Also in the newest episode of "young player wants it all now," seems contract negotiations with Calder winner Kirill Kaprizov and the Wild aren't going anywhere. There's a few things at play here.

--I have heard that Guerin has offered him 9M AAV.
--I have also heard that money isn't necessarily the issue, but more, Kaprizov wants high money, low term. It sounds like Kaprizov doesn't want a contract that would eat into any of his UFA years...so he wants maybe 3 years maximum which would take him to age 27. I've heard Kaprizov doesn't necessarily need 9M, but, he wants to be able to test the UFA market as soon as possible.
--Wild and his agent have talked for a few weeks. Even if he were to sign today, with visa and quarantine issues, Kaprizov will miss at least part of camp.

If Kaprizov gets 9M AAV, that would be the highest contract awarded with the fewest number of NHL games played...55 NHL games.
I also don't understand a 9M AAV contract would work. The Wild have the money to do it this year, but their dead cap space from Suter/Parise jumps from 4.7M this year, to 12.7M next year, to 14.7M for the following 2 years. They do have Goligoski and Rask off the books next year, which frees up 9M in money, but it will still be a struggle to field a team with that much dead cap.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:50 pm

Giving a guy 9m for 55 games is so beyond the pale insane I can't even put it into words.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:29 am

Antonio wrote:Giving a guy 9m for 55 games is so beyond the pale insane I can't even put it into words.

Very much agree. I'd let him rot in the KHL.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:27 pm

James Neal and Michael Frolik to STL on PTOs.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:30 pm

FLPensFan wrote:James Neal and Michael Frolik to STL on PTOs.

Surprised Staal and Zajac are still out there. Must have let it be known they won't sign for less than $1M. We'll see I guess.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:49 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

Surprised Staal and Zajac are still out there. Must have let it be known they won't sign for less than $1M. We'll see I guess.

The last 4-5 years, UFA has not been kind to guys 32 and older. If you aren't still playing at a high level, many teams are passing, or offering what the players feel is an insult of a contract.

This to me is due to the shift in the game to younger players and a faster game.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:12 pm

Leafs sign Nikita Gusev to PTO.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:46 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

The last 4-5 years, UFA has not been kind to guys 32 and older. If you aren't still playing at a high level, many teams are passing, or offering what the players feel is an insult of a contract.

This to me is due to the shift in the game to younger players and a faster game.

Staal wants to be in Minnesota. He was building a house there and wanted to retire there. Let’s see what happens.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby BigMcK on Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:21 am

Personally, I am in agreement with a player who has achieved critical mass wanting to be closer to a happy life post NHL. Staal in reference.

As to a player asking for crazy money with limited playing time, who can fault the player? If the GM in this situation were to cave to that ask, maybe other GM's can send a box of termites to the residence of said GM? In that, a house of termites will soon take down your house of stupid.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:55 pm

Chara signs a 1 year deal with the Islanders.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sams_Dog on Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:46 am

Antonio wrote:Giving a guy 9m for 55 games is so beyond the pale insane I can't even put it into words.

This. Whether short or long term I don't think he is worth that YET. Maybe in the future. But not yet. I would sign him to a bridge deal and see what he can do before committing to that kind of money. Sure, you may lose him as a UFA but you could extend him too. If he really wants to leave money won't stop him. See Panarin. But don't wreck your cap situation for seven years because you think he MIGHT be that good. See: Buffalo with Jeff Skinner.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

Zajac signs a 1 day deal to retire as a Devil.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:55 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

Agree with that, but also, the fact that most teams at this time are at cap or budget and are having to deal with a flat cap for going on 2-3 seasons now.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:58 pm

BigMcK wrote:Personally, I am in agreement with a player who has achieved critical mass wanting to be closer to a happy life post NHL. Staal in reference.

As to a player asking for crazy money with limited playing time, who can fault the player? If the GM in this situation were to cave to that ask, maybe other GM's can send a box of termites to the residence of said GM? In that, a house of termites will soon take down your house of stupid.

Counterpoint: The point is to win, preferably the Cup or at least make noise in the playoffs. With that said, wouldn't you want players that are eager and want to win? Rather than those that just want to play by their new house?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:22 am

Pitts wrote:
BigMcK wrote:Personally, I am in agreement with a player who has achieved critical mass wanting to be closer to a happy life post NHL. Staal in reference.

Counterpoint: The point is to win, preferably the Cup or at least make noise in the playoffs. With that said, wouldn't you want players that are eager and want to win? Rather than those that just want to play by their new house?

Point / Counterpoint? For a player who might be trending toward the twilight of a career, if offered a chance to accept a very sizable money deal to stay in the league to play close to family, yet small dollar in terms of an up and coming player, I think both are of equal importance. Just grinding this as a human. Best offer available, haircut length between $250k more to accept a deal away from family, I take family.

If comes the trade deadline and a deal to go to a contender based on past leadership and playoff history if the marching orders, I gladly accept the trade. Competitive fire still burns? I follow it for another chance to compete post-season.

750k, minus agent fees, minus union dues, is a great annual salary. You earned every penny getting to the show.

Thanks for the polite response and offer to counter.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby ville5 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Now official. 5 years, $9 mil per for Kaprizov. Yowza.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:15 pm

Merzlikins signs 5 year extension with CBJ for $5.4 mil per.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:23 pm

ville5 wrote:Now official. 5 years, $9 mil per for Kaprizov. Yowza.

Not sure what Guerin is thinking there. Half that would have been more than fair.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins