2021 Penguins Training Camp thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2021 Penguins Training Camp thread

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:19 am

Posterboy wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Interesting note...I mentioned from the Rossi/Yohe recap of Day 1 that Zohorna reportedly looked good yesterday, and scored a goal as well. He was centering Zucker and Kapanen yesterday, and he is centering that line again today.

ZAR-Blueger-McGinn was also a line that seems to be a good bet to be together. It would be interesting if Zohorna can hold down the 2C spot to start the season, and the Penguins go with something like this:

Guentzel-Carter-Rust/Heinen
Zucker-Zohorna-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn
Some combination of players that make up the 4th line....maybe Rodrigues, Heinen and one other player.

He must have heard me, as 2 minutes after posting this, he scored another goal in the scrimmage.

Almari also is said to have lasered a goal earlier in the scrimmage. (and the Zohorna goal came on a rebound from a big point shot from Almari. Sounds like Almari is gaining confidence in shooting the puck, which is something the team will be glad to see.)

Certainly a big ask for Zahorna to center the 2nd line but he is a little older than most guys just breaking in and has played against men in the Czech Republic and internationally I believe. Very interested to see how he does in the exhibition season, hope they give him a lot of games to prove/acclimate himself.

Plus, the Pens are just looking for warm bodies at C right now with the injuries. I wonder if it'll come down to him or Boyle.

When Sullivan was discussing the injuries at center, he only named one name of players he thought could step up - Zahorna.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Posterboy on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:27 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Posterboy wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Interesting note...I mentioned from the Rossi/Yohe recap of Day 1 that Zohorna reportedly looked good yesterday, and scored a goal as well. He was centering Zucker and Kapanen yesterday, and he is centering that line again today.

ZAR-Blueger-McGinn was also a line that seems to be a good bet to be together. It would be interesting if Zohorna can hold down the 2C spot to start the season, and the Penguins go with something like this:

Zucker-Zohorna-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn
Some combination of players that make up the 4th line....maybe Rodrigues, Heinen and one other player.

He must have heard me, as 2 minutes after posting this, he scored another goal in the scrimmage.

Almari also is said to have lasered a goal earlier in the scrimmage. (and the Zohorna goal came on a rebound from a big point shot from Almari. Sounds like Almari is gaining confidence in shooting the puck, which is something the team will be glad to see.)

Certainly a big ask for Zahorna to center the 2nd line but he is a little older than most guys just breaking in and has played against men in the Czech Republic and internationally I believe. Very interested to see how he does in the exhibition season, hope they give him a lot of games to prove/acclimate himself.

Plus, the Pens are just looking for warm bodies at C right now with the injuries. I wonder if it'll come down to him or Boyle.

When Sullivan was discussing the injuries at center, he only named one name of players he thought could step up - Zahorna.

Sounds like he's not hurting his chances of making the team out of camp. I was just hoping he could show enough to crack the 4th line to start but if he can handle 2C that would be great. I'm getting really excited to see what these new/young players can do.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Zucker-Zohorna-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn

Boyle is going to make this team as 4th line C to start. That's my bet.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:19 pm

Pitts wrote:

Zucker-Zohorna-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn

Boyle is going to make this team as 4th line C to start. That's my bet.

Yes, I forgot about Boyle when writing out those lines.

Add X-Boyle-Rodrigues as the 4th line.

Also, I'd really love to see Friedman and Riikola get early reps as the RD on the 3rd pairing. That would mean Sullivan would have to get over his LH-RH issues, but, I feel like having Friedman or Riikola succeed in that spot would be a bit better for the team direction. Riikola has played well on LD paired with Marino so far in camp. He can skate well and use the body well. If it translates over to playing on his off-side (which I believe he did some games there in his first year here), he might be the best of the 3 options.

Without Sid and Geno to start, Sullivan needs to be a little more open with his lineup configuration.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:32 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Not sure if it was mentioned previously, but POJ trained and skated with Letang all summer back in Montreal (according to Pens Inside Scoop). POJ has been paired with Letang so far in camp. Here's what Letang had to say:

"Even before he skated here, I told Todd (Reirden) that he took a step in the summer. I feel like he’s faster on his feet, quicker at making decisions and plays. He showed us last year that he was able to play at that level, playing against top players in big minutes. I think he’s just going to keep growing. He’s done a tremendous job this summer to work out and train really well."

Some good news on POJ for sure.

Not sure how realistic this is, but if someone like POJ (or any youngster for that matter) can play on the top pairing with Letang that can only make the defense better. Dumoulin is such a great defensive defensemen and seems to have good leadership skills and a calming influence. That would do wonders for either Matheson (not sure if MS would do two lefties) or Marino.

I think it would do two things. Lessen the load on Letang as well as spreading the minutes with all 6 defensemen, not to mention it might help Marino/Matheson in their game.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:16 am

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Not sure if it was mentioned previously, but POJ trained and skated with Letang all summer back in Montreal (according to Pens Inside Scoop). POJ has been paired with Letang so far in camp. Here's what Letang had to say:

"Even before he skated here, I told Todd (Reirden) that he took a step in the summer. I feel like he’s faster on his feet, quicker at making decisions and plays. He showed us last year that he was able to play at that level, playing against top players in big minutes. I think he’s just going to keep growing. He’s done a tremendous job this summer to work out and train really well."

Some good news on POJ for sure.

Not sure how realistic this is, but if someone like POJ (or any youngster for that matter) can play on the top pairing with Letang that can only make the defense better. Dumoulin is such a great defensive defensemen and seems to have good leadership skills and a calming influence. That would do wonders for either Matheson (not sure if MS would do two lefties) or Marino.

I think it would do two things. Lessen the load on Letang as well as spreading the minutes with all 6 defensemen, not to mention it might help Marino/Matheson in their game.

I mentioned in the post above that Riikola should really get a shot to play his off-side, as I thought that might give the Penguins the strongest top 6. I guess really, the idea I floated before would actually be better, which is moving Matheson to his off-side. He did it quite frequently in Florida. Now, maybe that is part of the reason why he struggled. Not sure, but
while top pair is probably a bit out of POJs everyday playing level, something like this would technically be the strongest d-pairings we could build today:

POJ-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Pettersson-Matheson
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:57 am

FLPensFan wrote:
POJ-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Pettersson-Matheson

Looks good to this old guy. We will see what Sullivan thinks.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:23 am

Right now, these 4 lines below are all practicing as a unit within their respective groups, and, I've heard some feedback that each of these lines has shown chemistry together. I don't think this would be a bad starting forward lineup at all...if Sullivan is willing to sit his favorites like E-Rod and Simon.

Guentzel-Carter-Heinen
Zucker-Zohorna-Kapanen
Poulin-Boyle-Rust
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn

Poulin and Boyle scored for their line today in the scrimmage.
Heinen had a goal today for that line.
Zohorna has had a couple already
Blueger line, haven't heard of any scoring there, but, I wouldn't expect that line to be known for scoring.

POJ is still playing with Letang, and POJ had a goal today. Pettersson also had a goal.

I had heard that Drew O'Connor looked pretty good today.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Posterboy on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:30 am

Haven't heard they've started practicing special teams but curious to see if they try Zohorna as a net front presence. If the league is cracking down on cross checks I'm not sure how many defenders could move him.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:34 am

Posterboy wrote:Haven't heard they've started practicing special teams but curious to see if they try Zohorna as a net front presence. If the league is cracking down on cross checks I'm not sure how many defenders could move him.

Or Boyle.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Posterboy on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:48 am

Steve Dave wrote:
Posterboy wrote:Haven't heard they've started practicing special teams but curious to see if they try Zohorna as a net front presence. If the league is cracking down on cross checks I'm not sure how many defenders could move him.

Or Boyle.

:thumb:

If the league is serious about cracking down on cross checks, I think a lot of teams will be looking for that shot first PP if they can plant a 6'6", 220+ lbs. player at the top of the crease. This of course goes against the pretty tic-tac-toe-goal strategy the Pens' 1st PP employs. Don't get me wrong, I love a great couple of passes leading to a score but it can't be forced as it too often seems like it is.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:47 am

Hallander still not participating, listed as day-to-day by Sullivan a few days ago.
Poulin got injured or shaken up during the scrimmage. Left and was replaced by Bjorkqvist. Not sure if Poulin has or will come back yet today.

Boyle with another goal in the scrimmage today, and another one for Heinen as well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Posterboy wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

Or Boyle.

:thumb:

If the league is serious about cracking down on cross checks, I think a lot of teams will be looking for that shot first PP if they can plant a 6'6", 220+ lbs. player at the top of the crease. This of course goes against the pretty tic-tac-toe-goal strategy the Pens' 1st PP employs. Don't get me wrong, I love a great couple of passes leading to a score but it can't be forced as it too often seems like it is.

Buuuuuut they're not serious so it won't be an issue.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:52 pm

Rodrigues moved to centering Zucker and Kapanen for the last several shifts of today's scrimmage.

I hope Sullivan gives Zohorna a look there in an exhibition game. He's looked good there all camp. Rodrigues had some chemistry with those 2 last season when Malkin missed some time.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maestro on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:11 pm

Size matters. Give me Zahorna.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:28 pm

Everyone needs to remember who the coach is.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:35 pm

Maestro wrote:Size matters. Give me Zahorna.

He's not going to play much, I reckon.

HCMS will be making room for Simon, instead.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:39 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:

Zohorna could score a double hat trick, with 10 shot blocks and 15 hits in the last preseason game, and Sullivan would be like "Weeellll, I still like Rodrigues better. He's done a good job and been very consistent."
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:18 pm

Sadly, that's the truth. It brings back memories of the Disco Dan and Craig ****** Adams days.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Posterboy on Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

Zohorna could score a double hat trick, with 10 shot blocks and 15 hits in the last preseason game, and Sullivan would be like "Weeellll, I still like Rodrigues better. He's done a good job and been very consistent."

In all fairness, Sullivan has talked Zohorna up quite a bit, which I don't think he's been known to do with young guys unless they've really earned it. Has he talked himself into a corner and is forced to use him because of that I have no idea but he has given him 2nd line opportunities up to this point.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:33 pm

Posterboy wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

In all fairness, Sullivan has talked Zohorna up quite a bit, which I don't think he's been known to do with young guys unless they've really earned it. Has he talked himself into a corner and is forced to use him because of that I have no idea but he has given him 2nd line opportunities up to this point.

It's completely unfair on several fronts:

1) Sully has gushed about Zohorna since the first few games he played last season. He likes the guy.

2)Complaining about Erod is whipping boy stuff. With all the complaining last season, he played pretty well when he was healthy. Erod is the perfect 13th forward. For short sputs he can p,ay any of the 12 forward spots. But when everyone was healthy enough to play against the ISles, Erod was the healtyh scratch.

3) N one will believe it, but Hextall was real clear when Simon was signed. He's depth. at that point, his chances of making the team were slim. Ironically, if he makes it out of camp it may be because Sid is out. I'm sure some of you likely believe that's part of a scheme to keep him up. Simon got a sweetheart deal to play in the AHL. I'm sure both parties had that in mind when he signed. He makes $350K in WBS.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:47 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Posterboy wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

1) Sully has gushed about Zohorna since the first few games he played last season. He likes the guy.

2)Complaining about Erod is whipping boy stuff. With all the complaining last season, he played pretty well when he was healthy. Erod is the perfect 13th forward. For short sputs he can p,ay any of the 12 forward spots. But when everyone was healthy enough to play against the ISles, Erod was the healtyh scratch.

3) N one will believe it, but Hextall was real clear when Simon was signed. He's depth. at that point, his chances of making the team were slim. Ironically, if he makes it out of camp it may be because Sid is out. I'm sure some of you likely believe that's part of a scheme to keep him up. Simon got a sweetheart deal to play in the AHL. I'm sure both parties had that in mind when he signed. He makes $350K in WBS.

Simon is decent depth as a 14th/15th forward. The Pens used 20 forwards last season.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:07 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Posterboy wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

1) There's no doubt Sullivan has talked up Zohorna on several occasions this camp.

2) I'm not putting E-Rod down. I thought he played well last season, and better than I expected. I'm putting down Sullivan, because everyone here knows and plainly sees him play favorites. With the camp Zohorna has had to date, he should be given a shot as the 2C. But knowing Sullivan, he'll give E-Rod a shot first. E-Rod will be average, and secure the spot.

3) We'll see what happens with Simon. I don't think Simon making the team (if he does) will be because of Sid and Geno...it will be because nobody else (Hallander, Poulin, Legare, etc) did enough in camp to earn a spot, and right now, I would say that is the case. Hallander's been hurt, which has killed his chances. Poulin has a couple of goals, but what I have heard, he's been average otherwise. I haven't heard much on Legare, which means he isn't making enough noise.

--POJ has been one of the highlights of camp, but he's likely to be forced to start in the AHL because of our LD depth...this will be a cap/position decision, not a "best 20 guys dressed."

--Riikola has had a lot of praise from the media during camp. Ruhwedel is typically steady but does nothin exceptionally well. Riikola is likely a better skater and more physical d-man than Ruhwedel. I'm use a bad example here, but, if we are giving video game rankings to Ruhwedel, Friedman, and Riikola...Friedman might be a 72 overall, Riikola a 77 and Ruhwedel a 78 overall. But I think Riikola brings some elements that Ruhwedel doesn't...but it's doubtful Sullivan will see it that way.

--Zohorna has been the most talked about forward in camp, IMO. He showed some offensive skills in his brief stint last season. Again, Zohorna adds an element, size, that this team needs. Unless he completely collapses during the pre-season games, he should be given the chance to start on that 2nd line with Zucker and Kapanen to start the season. If he does well, you may find out that he can be used in a top 6 role on occasion.

--E-Rod, for me, is an extra. I think his chances to get elevated time or time at center were dashed when the Penguins brought in Boyle on a PTO. Boyle is probably the 2nd most talked about forward in camp. He's scored a few goals, and everything I read...it would be shocking if he didn't make the team.

It's still early. Pre-season games start tomorrow, but, there are very few guys that I see really challenging for spots.

Guentzel-Carter-Heinen
Zucker-Zohorna-Kapanen
X-Boyle-Rust
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn
x-X1, X2

I'd be looking at Poulin and Hallander (if he gets healthy), as well as Simon and O'Connor for that 3rd line LW spot. I'd be looking at E-Rod in that McGinn spot. E-Rod or McGinn would both be good on the Blueger line, but McGinn might be better a little further up the lineup, like with Boyle.

I've heard absolutely nothing about Sam Lafferty this camp. I've heard one or two small mentions about Angello. I've heard more about O'Connor than either of those guys. Same thing that, I've heard next to nothing about Bellerive or Bjorkqvist, who I expect/hoped they would start pushing to be a top callup. Not seeing it so far.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:30 pm

People's beliefs on Sullivan remind me of Sam Kinison's skit about when love comes calling.

"I'm a new love. Trust me. I wouldn't do it to you 10 times in a row *$#%^"
"Well okay"
"AAARRRRRR!!!!"
"You did it to me again!!!"
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Posterboy on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:36 pm

Jim wrote:People's beliefs on Sullivan remind me of Sam Kinison's skit about when love comes calling.

"I'm a new love. Trust me. I wouldn't do it to you 10 times in a row *$#%^"
"Well okay"
"AAARRRRRR!!!!"
"You did it to me again!!!"

You probably lost about 60-70% of this board for a litany of reasons when you said Sam Kinison but I hope you're right and Sullivan gives Zohorna a fair shot. That means suffering through some growing pains at times. I'd prefer he not be on too short of a leash as a new NHLer.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins