Penguins summer and 21-22 roster decisions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Penguins summer and 21-22 roster decisions

Postby Sams_Dog on Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:46 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:NHL DOPS has sunk to a new low. Dylan Larkin suspended 1 game for punching Mathieu Joseph in the face with his glove on. Pretty wild, haymaker type of swing.

So, why is this an issue you ask? Because 2 seconds before Larkin took the swing, he was shoved/boarded by Joseph with the usual refs looking right at the play and no call. DOPS might as well have just said in their video "pretend you didn't see that hit Joseph put on Larkin." They talked up the "retalitory nature" of Larkin's punch. :face: :face: :face: We're still in the 70's, 80's...actually, forever, that the NHL has this dumb obsession with letting the initial "problem" go but punishing someone for retaliating for said "problem."

Here's the whole sequence:

The NHL is a "Don't talk to me about the rulebook, keep your head up snowflake!" kind of league and I'm afraid it's going to be that way for a while. Player safety is just not important to the league, the players, or the players association right now. They are not willing to take this stuff out of the game. They want it in the game. They give BS lip service to "having respect for other players" and "no place in the game for that" but that's all for show. The same coaches and GMs who rant and rave about their player getting hit from behind and injured are the same ones who make excuses when potential rule changes or stiffer punishments are brought up in the summer. When Bettman retires and someone new takes over the NHLPA the MAYBE you might see a change in the way they view this kind iff stuff but current leadership knows there isn't enough of a desire out there right now for it. It's like an unspoken agreement. It's the biggest problem in the sport but they don't want to acknowledge it.

Bettman is the NHL, not NHLPA. And Bettman is put there by the Board of Governors, made up owners and other important team reps. Bettman takes his orders from the BOG. If a change is going to be made, it either needs to be initiated from the BOG, or Bettman needs to take it to the BOG and get them to approve it. Neither seems likely to happen.

The rules inconsistency is one of the major blockers that prevents the NHL from growing. To a casual fan trying to learn the game, it's very difficult to understand penalties, why they are called, why they aren't called, why they aren't called in close games....the 3rd period...overtime...etc.

I get that Bettman is on the NHL side and not the NHLPA. And you are right, the BOG is what really calls the shots on this. The makeup and attitudes of the people on that board will have to change before you see a change on the ice. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:18 pm

Rust considered week to week now.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:04 pm

I don't like to throw the Penguins as a potential landing spot for every potential guy on the trading block, BUT...if I were Pittsburgh, I'd take a hard look at Dylan Strome in Chicago. Strome is said to be on the trading block in Chicago, and quite honestly, I'm not sure why. Strome was a 3rd overall pick by Arizona in the 2015 NHL draft. He's a 6'3", 200lb left-handed C/R. He is 24 years old.

He was traded to Chicago along with Brendan Perlinni back in 2018. After a slow start with Arizona that season (6 points in 20 games), he had 51 points in 58 games for Chicago. The next year, Chicago dropped his ice time by a minute, and his production went down to only 38 points in 58 games. Last season, they dropped his average ice time another 30 seconds...he was just over 17 minutes TOI average when he had 51 points in 58 games with Chicago....last year, he was down to 15:31 avg TOI. His numbers dropped again to only 17 points in 40 games.

I have not heard anything bad about Strome. He has 106 points in 156 games for Chicago, .67pts/game production. This seems like a case of A) poor roster management and B) the player possibly falling out of favor with the coach. Toews is back at C. Kirby Dach is now their #1 center. They brought in Tyler Johnson, who plays center or wing. They have Henrik Borgstrom, who they got from Florida, playing 3C. Strome is at his best at center, and he appears to be blocked in Chicago. He ran into a similar situation with Arizona, and, I'm not sure NOT playing Strome was the right move for either club. I am familiar with Henrik Borgstrom from his time with Florida. He's a late 1st rounder. Borgstrom is likely a better defensive forward than Stome, but offensively, it's no comparison. Borgstrom was supposed to be a strong two-way player with good sniping ability. He's never lived up to the offensive side of his game. I would be playing Strome over Borgstrom at this point.

Stome hasn't played yet this season. He's been a healthy scratch. The team is 0-3. Chicago seems like they want to keep him around for injury depth, but on the surface, Strome seems like he should be good enough to earn an everyday spot in the lineup. I don't know what Jeff Carter's status is for next year. He obviously seems like he can still play at a high level, but, if he does play...how much of a paycut from his current 5.2M AAV is he going to be willing to take? Will someone else offer him more than Pittsburgh can afford?

I don't think the Penguins are going to show interest...but they should. It's doubtful Strome is going to cost a premium to acquire. Maybe a 2nd/3rd, maybe a good prospect. He's a 24 year old center with upside. If he gets back to getting the right amount of playing time and in a good system, he could be a steal...a solid 3C with the potential to even move up to eventual 2C. I think someone like NJ or Ottawa may look to acquire him, but...this is the type of move that could really help this club continue to transition to the next phase of the team on the fly.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Sounds like non-on-ice issues.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:I don't like to throw the Penguins as a potential landing spot for every potential guy on the trading block, BUT...if I were Pittsburgh, I'd take a hard look at Dylan Strome in Chicago. Strome is said to be on the trading block in Chicago, and quite honestly, I'm not sure why. Strome was a 3rd overall pick by Arizona in the 2015 NHL draft. He's a 6'3", 200lb left-handed C/R. He is 24 years old.

He was traded to Chicago along with Brendan Perlinni back in 2018. After a slow start with Arizona that season (6 points in 20 games), he had 51 points in 58 games for Chicago. The next year, Chicago dropped his ice time by a minute, and his production went down to only 38 points in 58 games. Last season, they dropped his average ice time another 30 seconds...he was just over 17 minutes TOI average when he had 51 points in 58 games with Chicago....last year, he was down to 15:31 avg TOI. His numbers dropped again to only 17 points in 40 games.

I have not heard anything bad about Strome. He has 106 points in 156 games for Chicago, .67pts/game production. This seems like a case of A) poor roster management and B) the player possibly falling out of favor with the coach. Toews is back at C. Kirby Dach is now their #1 center. They brought in Tyler Johnson, who plays center or wing. They have Henrik Borgstrom, who they got from Florida, playing 3C. Strome is at his best at center, and he appears to be blocked in Chicago. He ran into a similar situation with Arizona, and, I'm not sure NOT playing Strome was the right move for either club. I am familiar with Henrik Borgstrom from his time with Florida. He's a late 1st rounder. Borgstrom is likely a better defensive forward than Stome, but offensively, it's no comparison. Borgstrom was supposed to be a strong two-way player with good sniping ability. He's never lived up to the offensive side of his game. I would be playing Strome over Borgstrom at this point.

Stome hasn't played yet this season. He's been a healthy scratch. The team is 0-3. Chicago seems like they want to keep him around for injury depth, but on the surface, Strome seems like he should be good enough to earn an everyday spot in the lineup. I don't know what Jeff Carter's status is for next year. He obviously seems like he can still play at a high level, but, if he does play...how much of a paycut from his current 5.2M AAV is he going to be willing to take? Will someone else offer him more than Pittsburgh can afford?

I don't think the Penguins are going to show interest...but they should. It's doubtful Strome is going to cost a premium to acquire. Maybe a 2nd/3rd, maybe a good prospect. He's a 24 year old center with upside. If he gets back to getting the right amount of playing time and in a good system, he could be a steal...a solid 3C with the potential to even move up to eventual 2C. I think someone like NJ or Ottawa may look to acquire him, but...this is the type of move that could really help this club continue to transition to the next phase of the team on the fly.

I would like to see a move for a young forward, but not at the expense of picks or prospects. If there's a hockey trade to be made, cool. If not, keep on keep'n on.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:20 pm

Defence21 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I don't like to throw the Penguins as a potential landing spot for every potential guy on the trading block, BUT...if I were Pittsburgh, I'd take a hard look at Dylan Strome in Chicago. Strome is said to be on the trading block in Chicago, and quite honestly, I'm not sure why. Strome was a 3rd overall pick by Arizona in the 2015 NHL draft. He's a 6'3", 200lb left-handed C/R. He is 24 years old.

I would like to see a move for a young forward, but not at the expense of picks or prospects. If there's a hockey trade to be made, cool. If not, keep on keep'n on.

I get what you are saying, but, for a team that is still rebuilding...a hockey trade for them is going to be picks, prospects, or a young forward.

I'm not saying to do this, but these are the types of situation where I would consider giving up someone like Poulin. I'd want to do a lot more research into Strome, but, a former lottery pick, 24 year old who has already played 204 NHL games and averaged better than half a point a game, for a 20 year old late 1st rounder who has yet to play an NHL game or blow anyone away in several training camps. I'd take the guy 4 years older, who has played NHL games, and is only 2 years removed from a 24 goal, 72 point pace over 82 games (51 points in 58 games). Look at what happened with Sam Bennett. He struggled in Calgary after being a top 5 draft pick. Was in trade rumors for like 3 years straight...finally dealt to Florida, where he has been killing it. Sometimes all a young player needs is a change.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:53 pm

I guess it kind of depends on what you view his role is on this team. Is he the 2C post-Malkin? So by acquiring him are you committing to not re-signing Malkin? I don't see Strome as the 3C he's below average on faceoffs and doesn't kill penalties. I think you also might be underestimating what it might take to acquire him.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:41 pm

What do you think we can get for Zucker? He obviously doesn't fit here, at least open up some cap space.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:01 pm

BurghThing wrote:What do you think we can get for Zucker? He obviously doesn't fit here, at least open up some cap space.

Nothing. They have been trying to trade him for a full year now. He is a Penguin for the foreseeable future.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 pm

Pitts wrote:
BurghThing wrote:What do you think we can get for Zucker? He obviously doesn't fit here, at least open up some cap space.

Nothing. They have been trying to trade him for a full year now. He is a Penguin for the foreseeable future.

Probably right in today's cap world. Really, the only way they can move Zucker is if he starts playing really well and scoring...and then if he's doing that, why do you move him.

I'd also say it's really hard to evaluate any of the top 6 forwards with Crosby and Malkin out. Guentzel and Kapanen should be our best two top 6 wingers, and they just aren't showing much right now. Heinen is really the only "top 6" winger that has been producing. He's not going to be in that role when most are healthy, but, the fact that he is producing with Jeff Carter is good for the eventual 3rd line with Carter and Heinen possibly making up 2/3 of the line.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:44 am

Strome ... meh
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:58 am

The Pens have to have the most goals against in the last minute of periods than any other team in the history of the game (not including empty net). If not in actual quantity (original 6 and all), then in % of goals against.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:56 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

I get what you are saying, but, for a team that is still rebuilding...a hockey trade for them is going to be picks, prospects, or a young forward.

I'm not saying to do this, but these are the types of situation where I would consider giving up someone like Poulin. I'd want to do a lot more research into Strome, but, a former lottery pick, 24 year old who has already played 204 NHL games and averaged better than half a point a game, for a 20 year old late 1st rounder who has yet to play an NHL game or blow anyone away in several training camps. I'd take the guy 4 years older, who has played NHL games, and is only 2 years removed from a 24 goal, 72 point pace over 82 games (51 points in 58 games). Look at what happened with Sam Bennett. He struggled in Calgary after being a top 5 draft pick. Was in trade rumors for like 3 years straight...finally dealt to Florida, where he has been killing it. Sometimes all a young player needs is a change.

This is the exact type of trade, though, that I don't want to see happen. You're trading a 20 year old first year pro (faulting him in a roundabout way for not having made his NHL debut, when he's on a pretty natural trajectory right now) for a 25 year old who is on team #2 and would be moving to team #3, and whom has never had more than 51 points in an NHL season. And, sure, Bennett worked out for Florida, but for every Bennett, there's a Sprong. If the Penguins are trying to bridge to the future, go find a 27 year old in free agency who mirrors Strome. Don't trade your top prospect for him. Poulin, Legare, DOC, POJ, and a few others should be off limits unless the return is a legitimate, definiteive longterm piece.

And, as pens_ct said, if you make this trade -- or one like it -- you better be sure you know the future of Malkin, first. If Malkin is staying, you just traded a top prospect for a third liner. That's a GMJR trade. If Malkin is leaving, is Strome truly capable of being a longterm #2 center?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Zucker + Pettersson for Tarasenko: Would you do it?
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Posterboy on Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:04 pm

Maestro wrote:Zucker + Pettersson for Tarasenko: Would you do it?

That's a good one, lots of unknown variables, pros/cons, roster and salary implications to it. Let me pray on it and I'll get back to you. :)
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:28 am

Probably not, for a couple of reasons:

1) Pettersson has been very good so far this season. As much as fans would go nuts, I kind of see POJ getting traded before Pettersson at the moment. Hextall doesn't necessarily seem to be as high on POJ as Rutherford may have been.

2) Tarasenko plays RW. So if you're moving Zucker in the deal, you've now got to move Rust to LW longer term, or move Kapanen to 3rd line. Neither of those are optimal.

3) Penguins would likely have to retain salary somewhere (likely Zucker). Tarasenko makes 7.5M this year and next. Zucker and Pettersson make just over 9.5M. Blues currently have 1.6M in cap space BUT...that's including LTIR space from Oskar Sundqvist, who makes 2.75M and should be coming back from ACL surgery before Malkin returns to the Penguins. So STL doesn't have the space to take on 2M extra. STL also has quite a bit invested in their defense (3 players making 6.5M for 6 more years).

4) The shoulder. Tarasenko has apparently looked very good, but the shoulder will continue to be a concern for a bit. In the right deal, yeah, I'd still take him. But I'd want to do due diligence on his shoulder health.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:25 pm

People's constant trading of Zucker is annoying, but, on ice, I would do a Zucker + Pettersson for Tarasenko.

Both Zucker and Tarasenko have next year on their deals, Tarasenko is $2M more cap hit per. Even if his scoring is at 80% due to lingering shoulder downgrade, he is more what the Pens would be looking for on the ice. Plus, the Pens get out from under that Pettersson contract (two additional out-years at $4M). Let him go become whatever in St.Louis.

Bonus: Malkin lovers could finally shut the &$@* up about getting Malkin a Russian winger.

I don't know what Tarasenko is like off of the ice though.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 am

Jim wrote:People's constant trading of Zucker is annoying, but, on ice, I would do a Zucker + Pettersson for Tarasenko.

Both Zucker and Tarasenko have next year on their deals, Tarasenko is $2M more cap hit per. Even if his scoring is at 80% due to lingering shoulder downgrade, he is more what the Pens would be looking for on the ice. Plus, the Pens get out from under that Pettersson contract (two additional out-years at $4M). Let him go become whatever in St.Louis.

Bonus: Malkin lovers could finally shut the &$@* up about getting Malkin a Russian winger.

I don't know what Tarasenko is like off of the ice though.

Are people still complaining about getting Malkin a Russian winger? :lol:

On one hand, I think St. Louis would do that deal. MP is more than likely more highly regarded around the league than here. His contract isn't too bad and he's young with plenty of upside. At this point, you can probably say the same about Zucker...More upside, less risk. I guess people want to get rid of MP by any means necessary, this is one way to do it.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:15 pm

Pettersson's value is REALLY high right now... just sayin... Hextall..
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maestro on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:20 am

FLPensFan wrote:

1) Pettersson has been very good so far this season. As much as fans would go nuts, I kind of see POJ getting traded before Pettersson at the moment. Hextall doesn't necessarily seem to be as high on POJ as Rutherford may have been.

2) Tarasenko plays RW. So if you're moving Zucker in the deal, you've now got to move Rust to LW longer term, or move Kapanen to 3rd line. Neither of those are optimal.

3) Penguins would likely have to retain salary somewhere (likely Zucker). Tarasenko makes 7.5M this year and next. Zucker and Pettersson make just over 9.5M. Blues currently have 1.6M in cap space BUT...that's including LTIR space from Oskar Sundqvist, who makes 2.75M and should be coming back from ACL surgery before Malkin returns to the Penguins. So STL doesn't have the space to take on 2M extra. STL also has quite a bit invested in their defense (3 players making 6.5M for 6 more years).

4) The shoulder. Tarasenko has apparently looked very good, but the shoulder will continue to be a concern for a bit. In the right deal, yeah, I'd still take him. But I'd want to do due diligence on his shoulder health.

I think #3 is a roadblock - but it is a 2 for 1 so the "extra" dough could maybe be evened out in some way.

Malkin-Crosby-Tarasenko
Guentzel-Carter-Kap
McGinn - Blueger - Heinen
O'Connor - Boyle - Simon

Trade Rust (he ain't resigning in Pittsburgh is he?).

ZAR/EROD/Laff
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:25 am

Maestro wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I think #3 is a roadblock - but it is a 2 for 1 so the "extra" dough could maybe be evened out in some way.

Malkin-Crosby-Tarasenko
Guentzel-Carter-Kap
McGinn - Blueger - Heinen
O'Connor - Boyle - Simon

Trade Rust (he ain't resigning in Pittsburgh is he?).

ZAR/EROD/Laff

Don't even start down the road of putting Geno at wing, that never has worked before so its not magically going to work now. Rust re-signing here probably depends on how much Letang and Malkin get on their next contracts, assuming they both re-sign here. Everyone is happy and surprised with the team's start with a depleted line-up but I still wouldn't assume this is a playoff team, and Hextall could make moves at the deadline to shed salary if it looks like this team isn't making it to the post-season.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:59 pm

That 1st line doesn't impress you?

The Patriots were historically horrible.
Things change.

Someone thinks it should be considered.
https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... ysicality/

If Boyle plays this well through DEC it should be considered.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:42 pm

Maestro wrote:That 1st line doesn't impress you?

The Patriots were historically horrible.
Things change.

Someone thinks it should be considered.
https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... ysicality/

If Boyle plays this well through DEC it should be considered.

This Penguins roster has some problems. Thankfully, aside from the early injuries, all the problems are "good" problems:

1. Multiple "fill-in" type guys are excelling and playing more prominent roles in the early success. Boyle, O'Connor, Rodrigues and Heinen have contributed far more to the Penguins success to date than Guentzel, Kapanen, and Zucker. That creates a problem of who do you remove from the lineup when all are healthy.

2. Boyle and O'Connor add the size element the team reportedly wanted to add this summer.

3. The Penguins have 12 UFAs after this season, and 4 RFAs. If Hextall and Burke really want to change things up, this is the summer to do so. But with the roster playing as it is...how much do you want to change?

4. Some are probably looking at O'Connor and thinking this is the typical adrenaline, first 10 games or so great play, and he'll fall off. I don't think that is the case with him. He's older than a CHL drafted prospect, having played in college. He got his cup of coffee last season. He was widely lauded by the coaching staff for having improved in the AHL last year as well as over the summer. He was the best, most consistent player all of training camp. I don't expect a sudden drop off a cliff. He's going to have some ups and downs, but I'm very impressed with him.

5. Boyle excelling on the PK, an area the Penguins were very weak at last year, could be something that earns him stronger consideration to stay in the lineup.

6. On the backend, Pettersson was in trade rumors all summer long. Marino had a horrible sophmore slump last season. Both are playing back at a high level of play. Both are still young. If they keep this up, I'd think Matheson or POJ getting traded would be more likely.

Based off last night's roster, as guys come back into the lineup up front, the order I am taking guys out is:

Lafferty, Simon, Rodrigues, McGinn/Boyle.

McGinn hasn't been overly impressive to me, and if Boyle wants a chance to stay in the lineup, either McGinn is going to have to continue being meh, or Heinen is going to need to fall back down to his last few years level of play. Otherwise, top 12 for me (changing up Boyle for McGinn from the other day)

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
O'Connor-Carter-Heinen
Boyle-Blueger-ZAR
x-ERod, McGinn
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:18 pm

I’d try DOC with Geno, Zucker isn’t a good fit with him but he works well with Carter.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:33 pm

DelPen wrote:I’d try DOC with Geno, Zucker isn’t a good fit with him but he works well with Carter.

I like that. Just tell Geno his name is Andrei Okonov and we're all set.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins