Pre-game Talk Game 5 vs Toronto

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Pre-game Talk Game 5 vs Toronto

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:40 am

Friedman returned to practice today. He was out yesterday, and listed as day to day with an LBI.
Crosby did not skate or practice yesterday, and I don't believe he has today either. I'm sure there will be questions from the media as to whether there was a setback. I can see Sid getting a day off after pushing to get ready to return, but two days in a row would seem like an issue.

Jeff Carter and Tristan Jarry are also not practicing today. No word yet as to why either of them is missing

Per Pens Inside Scoop, there are the lines that were used in practice.

Guentzel-Rodrigues-Kapanen
Aston-Reese—Blueger-McGinn
Zucker-O’Connor-Heinen
Lafferty-Boyle-Simon

I think it is interesting that Kapanen now appears on the "1st line" and Zucker on the "2nd line." The absence of Carter from practice probably shouldn't have spurned that. Have a feeling Sully may be mixing some things up since the "big guns" (Guentzel, Kapanen, Zucker) really haven't gotten it going yet.

Defense was the same as last game, with Friedman rotating in. Saw a Sullivan quote from SethR, where it appears Pettersson-Marino is not likely to get broken up anytime soon. Sully likes the pairing and they had been good together in the past.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Pre-game Talk Game 5 vs Toronto

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:38 am

Sounds like ERod is our #1 center tonight...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:40 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:Sounds like ERod is our #1 center tonight...

Don't scare me like that. They don't play until Saturday.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:41 am

FLPensFan wrote:Jeff Carter and Tristan Jarry are also not practicing today. No word yet as to why either of them is missing.

Carter tested positive for Covid. Jarry is in Covid protocol.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:50 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:Sounds like ERod is our #1 center tonight...

Don't scare me like that. They don't play until Saturday.

*Saturday...my bad
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:25 pm

Admin wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Jeff Carter and Tristan Jarry are also not practicing today. No word yet as to why either of them is missing.

Wow. Hurry back JMFC! You are more than needed at the moment lol.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:32 pm

Admin wrote:

I think some media figured out/speculated about COVID for Jarry, when they noticed Chiodo was the only member of the coaching staff wearing a mask today.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:58 pm

KG wrote:
Admin wrote:

Wow. Hurry back JMFC! You are more than needed at the moment lol.

Ouch... can't seem to catch a break.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:32 am

Saw online that Sullivan stated both Carter and Jarry don't have symptoms. Not sure what their timeline to return is. I believe they would need to have 2 negative tests within a certain period of time. Jake Guentzel was the same way previously...tested positive but no symptoms.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:26 am

According to Dave Molinari, Sid and Malkin have been on the ice prior to 11am team practice. Molinari notes Sid is flying full speed, and snapping off some pretty healthy wristers. After about 20 minutes, Malkin left the ice and Crosby still out there. No word if Sid will join team practice at 11am.

As for Malkin, last week it appeared that, based on reports, he was simply on skates, casual stroll on the ice, just skating around not putting much effort or speed into things. While he certain isn't going full speed here, this video would indicate that Malkin is a little further along than just casual, light skating:

https://twitter.com/MolinariPGH/status/1451549560770281501
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:13 am

Crosby is practicing with the team (haven't seen line rushes yet). Jarry is also practicing with the team. Carter is not on the ice. Jarry was in COVID protocol, while Carter actually had a positive test.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Posterboy on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:21 am

FLPensFan wrote:Crosby is practicing with the team (haven't seen line rushes yet). Jarry is also practicing with the team. Carter is not on the ice. Jarry was in COVID protocol, while Carter actually had a positive test.

So if I understand the NHL's covid protocol, if Carter is asymptomatic and tests negative today and tomorrow he'd be available for Saturday night's game?
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:51 am

Posterboy wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Crosby is practicing with the team (haven't seen line rushes yet). Jarry is also practicing with the team. Carter is not on the ice. Jarry was in COVID protocol, while Carter actually had a positive test.

So if I understand the NHL's covid protocol, if Carter is asymptomatic and tests negative today and tomorrow he'd be available for Saturday night's game?

From what I see for asymptomatic players:

--Player tests positive. They go into isolation, and begin contact tracing.
--They then do a confirmation test at a lab on the same sample.
--At this point, whether the lab test is positive or negative, the player needs to have a 2nd and 3rd test both come back negative to return to normal protocols. The 2nd test would be 24 hours after lab confirmation test, and then the 3rd test would be 24 hours after the 2nd test.
--If the player failed the 2nd test, their next test would still be their 2nd test....you need two negative tests in a 48 hour period to get cleared.

Based on when this was announced, it seems like Carter would be a stretch to play Saturday. 12:30pm yesterday was the first official statement from Sullivan about Carter testing positive. Now, they likely knew either early that morning or the night before. Let's just say for argument's sake that Carter tested positive at 8am yesterday morning, and that 8am was when they got the lab confirmation. 8am today he could have taken the 2nd test, and if it was negative. And then 8am tomorrow morning would be the timeframe for 3rd test. Maybe he'd be available, but, without knowing the timelines...I'd expect him to be out.

For contact tracing protocol, the player (Jarry in this case) is isolated, and then they re-test from the same swab twice. I would assume that Jarry had contact exposure to Carter, and that all of Jarry's retests came back negative. He wouldn't be on the ice practicing if this wasn't the case.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:52 am

Crosby did not take full line rushes. He rotated in with O'Connor between Zucker and Heinen. So still seems iffy as to whether he'll play tomorrow.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:16 pm

Crosby still does not have a timetable to return. Says he still needs to confirm that his wrist will hold up properly to handle face-offs and board battles. Crosby added that he injured his wrist in a game back in 2014, shortly after the Olympics, and has been managing/dealing with the injury since then.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:37 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Crosby still does not have a timetable to return. Says he still needs to confirm that his wrist will hold up properly to handle face-offs and board battles. Crosby added that he injured his wrist in a game back in 2014, shortly after the Olympics, and has been managing/dealing with the injury since then.

Sid said the injury happened when Reaves hit him in 14. He was rehabbing it every summer until this summer when it didn’t respond.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Crosby did not take full line rushes. He rotated in with O'Connor between Zucker and Heinen. So still seems iffy as to whether he'll play tomorrow.

Taylor Haase has a Sullivan quote yesterday that Sid isn't playing against the Leafs. They're taking a conservative approach which is good, you don't want him to take a two-handed slash to the wrist in his first game and be back to starting over again.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:11 pm

In an article by Seth at the Trib, Crosby stated that he had arthroscopic surgery on the wrist last year. Said this summer, it did not respond the same way as it had in the past in terms of healing or getting to a point he could manage it during the season. Doctors felt that if he didn't get the surgery done when he did, he would not have made it through the season playing on the wrist. He felt it better to get the surgery now rather than missing time in the middle to end of the season. It was also noted that, Crosby declined to give specifics on exactly what he had done to his wrist, and it was stated that he can't have that same surgery again.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:40 am

No Letang tonight. Covid protocol. Crazy.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:37 am

KG wrote:No Letang tonight. Covid protocol. Crazy.

Wow, did he test positive or was he just close to someone that did test positive?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ericf on Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:55 pm

offsides wrote:
KG wrote:No Letang tonight. Covid protocol. Crazy.

Wow, did he test positive or was he just close to someone that did test positive?

Positive test but hasn’t been confirmed…
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:21 pm

If the players are vaccinated, and all of our are, and aren’t showing symptoms, and as far as I know only ZAR has, and aren’t boomers with room temperature BMI’s then the NHL COVID policy is going way too far and isn’t really needed. They are going overboard in the projection of safety.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:10 pm

DelPen wrote:If the players are vaccinated, and all of our are, and aren’t showing symptoms, and as far as I know only ZAR has, and aren’t boomers with room temperature BMI’s then the NHL COVID policy is going way too far and isn’t really needed. They are going overboard in the projection of safety.

Society is super soft so the team and league has to cover their asses from potential lawsuits.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:37 pm

The Penguins have recalled defenseman Juuso Riikola from the WBS Penguins.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:26 pm

I got 5-1 odds on the Pens with some Leaf fans tonight. I also put some money on the Leafs online, so I should come out on top either way.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins