Penguins summer and 21-22 roster decisions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Penguins summer and 21-22 roster decisions

Postby dark_forces on Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:59 pm

I'm getting less enthused with DeSmith and think an upgrade there may be necessary. I see that Carter Hutton is only signed through the end of the season for $750. I think that - assuming good health - he could be a solid addition to backup Jarry and he's someone that brings experience as a starter. With points at a premium, I think better backup goaltending is a must and can give Jarry a legit break. I'm not saying DeSmith is awful, I just think he's expendable and he's likely not going to be around next year anyway.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:33 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Do you think they regret not protecting McCann?

McCann failed to show up in the playoffs for Pit and while at Center had poor faceoff numbers. This year he is doing well for a poorly constructed team. He is also -5 despite putting up strong offensive numbers. Had the Pens kept him they likely lose Blueger or Carter. Both are better overall centers than McCann.

They could have protected everyone the way that they did, and then lost McCann OR Tanev. There really wasn't a reason to lose both players. Rutherford put the spin out there that they needed to clear cap space, but this was poor asset management...similar to Florida giving Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault to Vegas because they didn't want to give them big contracts.

McCann should have been worth a bit more in trade, but Rutherford again falls in love with a specific player, this time Hallander, so is content getting him back in the deal.

Wasn't that an RH trade? I think the trade was more about McCann's inability to produce than anything else.

Yeah I think this was Hextall

My mistake on who made the trade. I would agree McCann was a bit hot and cold, and more cold in the playoffs...but in the end, I think it came down to cap space. Penguins had to make at least one move to get under the cap this summer. While many speculated it would be Zucker or Pettersson, I think their contracts were too expensive for any team to want to take them, and the Penguins had to move on to plan B.

Speaking of Tanev as well, Tanev was caught tonight on a hot mic yelling at Buffalo's Jeff Skinner while going to the bench Hilariously, Tanev yelled "Skinner, you **** suck. How the hell did you get that deal, bro?" :lol:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:37 pm

I still think losing Tanev was mistake and dumb move... Im sure there was some kind of solution for it. Both of them, Tanev and McCann soo far are playing pretty well for Seattle. McCann 10 goals in 17 games, Tanev 8+5 in 22 games
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:51 pm

Pens4Life wrote:I still think losing Tanev was mistake and dumb move...

Me too. Miss his constant energy.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stonewizard51 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:03 pm

I guess losng his 3.5 mil contract was more important than his energy. Yeah I miss him too
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:54 am

According to multiple sources in the banking industry, Arizona Coyotes are up for sale, and the intent is to sell the team and move them to Houston.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:47 am

FLPensFan wrote:According to multiple sources in the banking industry, Arizona Coyotes are up for sale, and the intent is to sell the team and move them to Houston.

It's about time to get out of the dumpster fire that constantly happens in ARI. Houston is a big market that doesn't have a pro hockey team. Would line up the Central teams better by location.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:38 pm

I think we're missing another offensive weapon. I hope that Malkin's return and Rust's return can shift the balance and essentially get the team back to last year's offensive output.
The other thing is getting a bit more offense from the defense. With every game, that becomes more glaring. Beyond Letang, Matheson and Marino are capable, but it's just not happening.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:50 pm

Seravalli has Rust as one of his top 15 trade targets. Says that Penguins had some early talks with him, and things have gone completely cold since then.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Wyopen on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:08 pm

I think the Kaprizov deal is going to make it difficult to sign Rust.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:35 pm

And if that's the case, buh bye Rusty. You had a good run here. You will be missed.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:According to multiple sources in the banking industry, Arizona Coyotes are up for sale, and the intent is to sell the team and move them to Houston.

Team denied that as fast as the tweet appeared that a few Forbes writers had picked up on.

The part about being for sale so the team could be relocated to Houston.........there's nothing stopping the current ownership from simply moving them to Houston or elsewhere, they have no contractual obligations to any arena or the city of Glendale to stay in Arizona. They have an offer to buy land in Tempe that the team wants to develop.

While moving to Houston would make a lot of sense, the tweet by an unnamed banking source sounds like fake news.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dark_forces on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:37 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:And if that's the case, buh bye Rusty. You had a good run here. You will be missed.

I'm wondering what his trade value is around the league as a UFA.
I would start by asking for a 1st rounder in 2022 and a solid prospect, at least around the Legare/Poulin level. I imagine as more teams become interested, the bidding would increase what's coming back. In a separate deal, I'm sure they could pick up a winger who's capable of around 12-15 goals a season, has some speed and could get a boost playing with Crosby or Malkin. That way, you could kind of begin a rebuild while not kissing playoff hopes goodbye.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:56 pm

brwi wrote:

Team denied that as fast as the tweet appeared that a few Forbes writers had picked up on.

The part about being for sale so the team could be relocated to Houston.........there's nothing stopping the current ownership from simply moving them to Houston or elsewhere, they have no contractual obligations to any arena or the city of Glendale to stay in Arizona. They have an offer to buy land in Tempe that the team wants to develop.

While moving to Houston would make a lot of sense, the tweet by an unnamed banking source sounds like fake news.

I think it was Bettman and not the team (or maybe both). On one hand, you are right, that banking sources probably aren't the best source for that information. On the otherhand, if a group or multiple groups are attempting to put financing packages together to make a pitch to buy, then banking sources don't seem so far fetched.

It may not be true at all, but other than the fans in Arizona, I'm not sure there is anyone outside of Bettman and the league that thinks trying to keep hockey in Arizona is a good idea at this point. They've been a dumping ground for bad contracts for more than a decade, owned by the league for awhile, and cannot find a place to play or get city government behind them. You have to go all the way back to 2006-2007 season for them not to be in the bottom 5 in attendance. I'm almost certain they are losing money. It's time to pull the plug.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sams_Dog on Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:10 pm

It really is time to pull the plug on Arizona. I would feel bad for their fans but it’s clearly not working there. Bad ownership, bad team, bad arena situation. For whatever reason Bettmann seems prepared to die on that hill. Not sure why. I would love to see them relocate to Quebec but Houston is too good of an opportunity for the league to pass on.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:53 am

Flyers just sacked Alain Vignault.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:54 am

FLPensFan wrote:Flyers just sacked Alain Vignault.

Tocchet has to be the next coach? Makes obvious sense.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:11 am

KG wrote:

Get him off the TNT circus. Or... would they do the lazy and hire Therrien.

I can't believe Boudreau gets another opportunity.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:17 am

Yeo is an assistant coach too, assuming he didn't get the axe also.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:54 am

penny lane wrote:
KG wrote:

Get him off the TNT circus. Or... would they do the lazy and hire Therrien.

I can't believe Boudreau gets another opportunity.

MT got axed too. Yeo is now the interim coach.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:53 pm

How would you guys approach the Rust situation? 3 realistic outcomes seem possible.
What actually happens?

*Put Rust on the trade block for immediate and equivalent help.

*Put Rust on the block and simply recoup future assets.

*Do not entertain offers for Rust and stay the course this season.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:42 am

My money is on them keeping Rust this season. Then next, they try resigning him. They discover it will cost too much and he walks.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:11 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:My money is on them keeping Rust this season. Then next, they try resigning him. They discover it will cost too much and he walks.

You could look at it as it would be the same as acquiring a rental for the playoffs this season except you don't have to trade anything for him.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:29 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:My money is on them keeping Rust this season. Then next, they try resigning him. They discover it will cost too much and he walks.

I like Rust and would like to see him stay. However, if that's not possible, then trade him for something positive.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:21 pm

I don't think the Pens are true contenders, but the way things are shaking out, it looks like a good bet that they'll make the playoffs as a lower seed. So, I don't think you get rid of Rust unless there's a ridiculously good offer. Even lower-seeded playoff teams don't sell off top-6 wingers for picks/prospects.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins