Official GDT: Pens vs Sens 1/20/22

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Sens 1/20/22

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 am

I don’t think Malkin is to blame, but the Pens whole system has been disrupted since his return. Almost every game since he has returned, the post game comments include statements they aren’t playing the right way.

ERod seems to have dropped off the radar in the last 5 games. His shots on goal are 2,1,0,3,and 2 in those games. Before that, he was Ovechkin like in his shot production.

Even the defensemen seem to be getting in each other’s way.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ericf on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:05 am

Southern Fan wrote:I don’t think Malkin is to blame, but the Pens whole system has been disrupted since his return. Almost every game since he has returned, the post game comments include statements they aren’t playing the right way.

ERod seems to have dropped off the radar in the last 5 games. His shots on goal are 2,1,0,3,and 2 in those games. Before that, he was Ovechkin like in his shot production.

Sully’s outthinking himself with the lines…ERod should be moved up to L2 with Geno where he’ll get more than the 10 minutes he played last night, even if he’s not back on PP1….and Kap has been bad and needs to move to L3…make that simple switch and I think we’ll improve the top six
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:05 am

Southern Fan wrote:I don’t think Malkin is to blame, but the Pens whole system has been disrupted since his return. Almost every game since he has returned, the post game comments include statements they aren’t playing the right way.

As per Yohe

In the first 34 games of the Penguins’ season, they didn’t allow the opposition to record 40 or more shots on goal in a game. In Malkin’s first five games back, the Penguins have allowed 40 or more shots three times
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:26 am

Seems very strange that arguably the Pens best winger sees his ice time drop to 10 minutes a game. Hard to figure out
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crash66 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:40 am

It seems the players think that when they have a "full" lineup they'll be able to just outscore the opponent and periodically stop doing the little things that lead to success. I believe it's safe to say this as there is such a large sample size of games played with a depleted / watered down lineup due to injuries etc over the past many years. Kind of like taking your foot off the gas when you have a big lead. Is it just human nature? I don't believe it's laziness. It's something because there is definitely a difference in their play when fully healthy vs short handed.
Crash66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Posterboy on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:40 am

At the game last night, noticed that Matheson and Pettersson swapped D pairs. Not sure why but it seemed to work out well for Matheson, will have to go back and watch the game on television to see if Pettersson did anything egregious. Will Sullivan use the same pairs tonight against the Jackets?

Regarding Kapanen and Erod, I assume Sullivan wants to see if Kasperi can recapture the level of play he had with Malkin last year. I'm not sure how long Sullivan goes with that if he isn't producing before trying Erod there.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby HellsKitchen7 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:33 pm

Crash66 wrote:It seems the players think that when they have a "full" lineup they'll be able to just outscore the opponent and periodically stop doing the little things that lead to success. I believe it's safe to say this as there is such a large sample size of games played with a depleted / watered down lineup due to injuries etc over the past many years. Kind of like taking your foot off the gas when you have a big lead. Is it just human nature? I don't believe it's laziness. It's something because there is definitely a difference in their play when fully healthy vs short handed.

I've noticed this mentally from this team over the years. It was more evident during the later fluery years, but I see it when sid or geno come off of IR now as well. Remember some of the backups for Fluery? Zatkoff, Brent Johnson, etc? Those guys would play phenomenal when they got the start, and in my opinion, it was because the team would tighten up in front of them and play the right way. The next game, or if MAF came back from IR, the team would get loose and play like trash.

Regarding sid and geno and when they return, I don't think it's a team laziness issue, but just an overall relaxed approach, because hey the superstar is back, they'll take care of it.
HellsKitchen7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:31 pm

HellsKitchen7 wrote:
Crash66 wrote:It seems the players think that when they have a "full" lineup they'll be able to just outscore the opponent and periodically stop doing the little things that lead to success. I believe it's safe to say this as there is such a large sample size of games played with a depleted / watered down lineup due to injuries etc over the past many years. Kind of like taking your foot off the gas when you have a big lead. Is it just human nature? I don't believe it's laziness. It's something because there is definitely a difference in their play when fully healthy vs short handed.

I've noticed this mentally from this team over the years. It was more evident during the later fluery years, but I see it when sid or geno come off of IR now as well. Remember some of the backups for Fluery? Zatkoff, Brent Johnson, etc? Those guys would play phenomenal when they got the start, and in my opinion, it was because the team would tighten up in front of them and play the right way. The next game, or if MAF came back from IR, the team would get loose and play like trash.

Regarding sid and geno and when they return, I don't think it's a team laziness issue, but just an overall relaxed approach, because hey the superstar is back, they'll take care of it.

It's a very observable trend with the Pens in particular. When you've got Sid and Geno on the team, you expect those guys to make the difference more than any other player. When they're dressed, it's like the team plays with a lot more confidence. Some of that confidence is definitely not warranted, working hard in a disciplined way will still cost fewer points.

It's just very hard to keep the mindset of playing within the rules defined by the limits, when you have players returning into the lineup that can (and should!) break them on occasion. Not an issue that goes away when you have stars of their calibre.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:31 pm

HellsKitchen7 wrote:

It's a very observable trend with the Pens in particular. When you've got Sid and Geno on the team, you expect those guys to make the difference more than any other player. When they're dressed, it's like the team plays with a lot more confidence. Some of that confidence is definitely not warranted, working hard in a disciplined way will still cost fewer points.

It's just very hard to keep the mindset of playing within the rules defined by the limits, when you have players returning into the lineup that can (and should!) break them on occasion. Not an issue that goes away when you have stars of their calibre.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins