Definitely the year to move the #1

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Definitely the year to move the #1

Postby randy on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:31 pm

The old Baz Bastien bugaboo about trading #1's doesn't apply anymore in this case.

There's enough depth in the minors to build on, unlike back then when the farm system consisted of jacques cossette, jim hamilton and gordie laxton at binghamton.

There's nothing real special about 2 of the top 3, theyre americans for crissakes (solid, but no true game breakers in the crosby/ovenchicken mold) One's stock has dropped, never a good sign btw

If you can pry paul mara out of phx with that pick (supposedly he's available), then do it. He could fit right in with this bunch and contribute, now.

No more last place finishes starting next season, by whatever means necessary. The penguins owe their fans that.
randy

Re: Definitely the year to move the #1

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:37 pm

randy wrote:If you can pry paul mara out of phx with that pick (supposedly he's available), then do it. He could fit right in with this bunch and contribute, now.

You would trade the top overall pick for Paul Mara :?: Boy, I'm glad you're not the GM. I'm not sure that even Patrick would do something so dumb. And that's saying something.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:03 pm

possible 1st or 2nd overall for Paul Mara?? Are you kidding?

Hell, why don't we sweeten the deal and give them Fleury too ... lol
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby alain blanc on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:34 pm

I think so trade our 1 draft pick or 2 draft pick could be a goood opportunity to take some good veteran.
alain blanc

Postby Draftnik on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:38 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:possible 1st or 2nd overall for Paul Mara?? Are you kidding?

Hell, why don't we sweeten the deal and give them Fleury too ... lol

He also is a 7th year NHL vet. He is on a 1 year deal and is probably an UFA after this season. He is a RFA at best with 1 more season until UFA. He wasn't even chosen for the USA Olympic team.

Trading a probable impact player that could be retained at reasonable wages for 7 seasons for a probable UFA is always a good strategy.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby borohcky9 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:46 pm

While we are at far-fetched trade proposals...

the only way i would trade our pick would be if we could pry away two decent players from a team and still pick in the top 5-10.

I would love to see.

David Vyborny and Rusty Klesla and Columbus's pick

for

Our #1 pick, Surovy and Jackman
borohcky9

Postby alain blanc on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:48 pm

[quote]David Vyborny and Rusty Klesla and Columbus's pick[quote] Yes it's a good idea i like Vyborny he is fast and have good hands!
alain blanc

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:09 pm

I like Paul Mara's ability but he's not a Top two pick kind of acquisition.

The only way I'm dealing our top two pick is to get a top line sniper like Marian Gaborik.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NIN on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:38 pm

I could'nt agree more. I think the 4th seed would reluctanly give up a Brent Seabrook for the top pick and a lesser prospect. I beleive teams like Columbus, Chicago (especially), Washington, and St. Louis are far more interested in bringing is a top line center like Kessel. Kessel is not projected to be the immediate franchise player like we have seen here but he IS going to be a huge building block for a team this June.

I would love to see the Penguins finish last. Trade the Kessel selection along with Christensen (sorry but Seabrook is so much better) to Chicago for Seabrook and the 3rd or 4th selection (all depending of course) and the right to draft Jordan Staal (best player available in my very uninformed opinion) !!

http://www.nhl.com/players/8470607.html
NIN

Postby DelPen on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:45 pm

What about Zherdev and the BJ's 1st for our 1st?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:08 pm

WVPens wrote:
DelPen wrote:What about Zherdev and the BJ's 1st for our 1st?

And why would Columbus do that?

To draft Eric Johnson.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:14 pm

I'd take Zherdev... but I would be utterly shocked if Columbus parted with him.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Morozov on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:35 pm

Every #1 they get stinks up the house (other than Sid)>>>>>

Malkin will prolly stay in Russia anways>>>
Morozov

Postby NIN on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:37 pm

Morozov wrote:Every #1 they get stinks up the house (other than Sid)>>>>>

Did you know that Feline Luekemia is the #1 killer of kittens>>??
NIN

Postby randy on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:52 pm

hey, paul mara was just an example. seems like everyone gets the idea though. Id like to get duncan keith myself, but i dont think the hawks will bite.
randy

Postby Defence21 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Do you know what development is? The Pens's recent first rounders are Koltsov, Armstrong, Orpik, Whitney, Fleury, Malkin, and Crosby. Of them, Koltsov stinks. Armstrong is proving that he will be a very valuable player to this team. He hits, can score and can pass. He plays very well in all zones. Orpik and Whitney are defensemen, meaning they take longer than others to develop. Sure Orpik isn't the player we expected him to be, but he still plays an extremely physical brand of hockey that is sorely needed on this team. Whitney is in his first NHL season. It takes time to adjust. And Fleury has played exceptionally well considering the team he is on.

What basis do you say Malkin won't be here next year? All indications are the complete opposite.

And what are the ">>>" after everything you say?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Redlight on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:12 pm

randy wrote:
There's enough depth in the minors to build on, unlike back then when the farm system consisted of jacques cossette, jim hamilton and gordie laxton at binghamton.

The penguins should keep their first round pick this year. They need all the talent they can get.

Depth in the minors? Maybe minor league depth, but not NHL depth.
Redlight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:14 pm

Defence21 wrote:And what are the ">>>" after everything you say?

That adds a sense of urgency and speed to his comments! :lol: >>>>

See? >>>>

:D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Redlight on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:18 pm

I'm pretty sure that Malkin will be over here next year. At the last home game, they ran a promo for Malkin coming here in September. If they weren't 100% sure they would be able to get him over here - I wouldn't think they would be advertising him being here.
Redlight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby guiner on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:23 pm

randy wrote:There's nothing real special about 2 of the top 3, theyre americans for crissakes (solid, but no true game breakers in the crosby/ovenchicken mold) One's stock has dropped, never a good sign btw

Paul Mara!?!, that would even make Baz turn over in his grave.

And btw, according to Woodlief, it has nothing to do with Kessel's stock dropping but all about Johnson's stock rising.

Misinformed and insane suggestion.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:14 pm

The old Baz Bastien bugaboo about trading #1's doesn't apply anymore in this case.

Thats my grandfather, it brought a chill seeing someone recognizing him :lol:
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:01 am

Reilly wrote:
randy wrote:Lets take a look at Americans as top picks.

So because they're American means they can't be superstars? Nice logic idiot. For every Canadian superstar there's a hundred busts.

I think you really need to read the board rules. People like you, who make personal attacks, have no place on this board.

If you can't discuss the idea without resorting to insults, please use self control and not post.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby randy on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:46 pm

hey guiner, paul mara was just an example. TSN is saying hes tradable, and he's not a bad defenceman. Of course there would be others involved.

Who gives a crap what woodlief thinks.

Dont overrate the value of this top pick. And by the way, has the U of M produced any truly great players at NHL level since Neil Broten? I dont believe so, Someone think of one for me, and dont use Vanek yet.
randy

Postby pfim on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:49 pm

hey guiner, paul mara was just an example

We don't need more Americans like Paul Mara! They'll never be superstars!
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:03 pm

randy wrote:Who gives a crap what woodlief thinks.

Exactly. Kyle Woodlief only makes boatloads of money by running his own independant scouting service, writes columns, and is a frequent guest on radio shows. What's he know from nothin'?

He's certainly got nothing on a guy that calls into Bob Grove about trading the #1 pick to Minnesota for Roloson or Fernandez, or posting some goofy idea about requiring defensemen to keep two hands on their sticks at all time that's for sure. A guy like that clearly has a superior hockey mind.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins