Latest Dirty Trick

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Latest Dirty Trick

Postby Jasmine on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:06 pm

The latest dirty trick by the governor is to tell senior citizens that if the gaming proceeds are used for tax relief, their property tax would be eliminated. Well, I am a senior citizen and no property sounds nice, but I AM NOT SO SELFISH THAT I WOULD SACRIFICE THE FUTURE OF MY CHILDREN AND THIER CHILDREN FOR A FEW DOLLARS! If I cannot pay my taxes, I will sell my home to someone who can and who will be around to appreciate the family-oriented multi-purpose facility that the Isle of Capri will build for us!
Not fallin' for it, gov!!!!!!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

I just gotta say

Postby rasbatch on Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:08 am

my mother struggles and saves to pay outrageous property taxes every year. As the last child she had in school finished up twenty-three years ago I think she's paid her fair share. I'm not saying the gov has it right, just sayin PA in general needs some tax relief for it seniors. She should not have to sell her house that my father and her worked hard all there lives for so someone elses kidz can get an education. There are many sides to this story and I'm only relating this personal one.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: I just gotta say

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:42 am

rasbatch wrote: As the last child she had in school finished up twenty-three years ago I think she's paid her fair share.

With all due respect rasbatch, I think the education of the next generation is important enough that it should be included in our taxes. (And this is coming from someone who's more of a Libertarian than a Republican or Democrat)

The property taxes in PA are not outrageous by national standards. (Example, here on Long Island, a three bedroom ranch with a one car garage on a small plot of land averages $5,000 a year in property tax)

If you want to have issues with taxes try Social Security. The average 75 yearold who worked for 40 years between 1955-1990 paid less than $20,000 in Social Security tax. That would have been recouped in a littlke over two years. (by the time they were 67) Who's paying the difference? You and me. That's eight years so far of them living off of our taxes.

On the other hand, we're paying amounts into Social Security that we'll NEVER get back.

Maybe the answer is to allow retirees to do some form of reverse mortgage where they allocate a portion of the equity of the home to be used to pay off the outstanding tax burden after they've passed away.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: I just gotta say

Postby dboss on Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:54 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
rasbatch wrote: As the last child she had in school finished up twenty-three years ago I think she's paid her fair share.

With all due respect rasbatch, I think the education of the next generation is important enough that it should be included in our taxes. (And this is coming from someone who's more of a Libertarian than a Republican or Democrat)

The property taxes in PA are not outrageous by national standards. (Example, here on Long Island, a three bedroom ranch with a one car garage on a small plot of land averages $5,000 a year in property tax)

If you want to have issues with taxes try Social Security. The average 75 yearold who worked for 40 years between 1955-1990 paid less than $20,000 in Social Security tax. That would have been recouped in a littlke over two years. (by the time they were 67) Who's paying the difference? You and me. That's eight years so far of them living off of our taxes.

On the other hand, we're paying amounts into Social Security that we'll NEVER get back.

Maybe the answer is to allow retirees to do some form of reverse mortgage where they allocate a portion of the equity of the home to be used to pay off the outstanding tax burden after they've passed away.

Social Security is the big problem. My Grandmother, who has never worked 1 day in her life, is able to collect social security based on my Grandfather having paid into the program. Its not like they even need the Social Security checks because their lifestyle is not suffering at all, but yet they are still eligible to collect it so they do (and I don't blame them). The problem is with the government and the eligibility rules set-up for this program.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

I'm not sayin education

Postby rasbatch on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:23 am

shouldn't be included in our taxes. To play devil's advocate why should my mother care? She's 84 on a pension and SS and will not see any benefit from money put into education. She and my father did everything asked of them paid their taxes, now in her twilight years she has to scrape and save to pay property taxes. Maybe their not outrageous to you and I as we are still actively working, but on a fixed income such as hers it's difficult. For the record she does care, and doesn't complain to much about the situation. Maybe it should be decided on a need basis. I'm just against sacrificing one segment of society for another.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: I'm not sayin education

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:31 am

rasbatch wrote:shouldn't be included in our taxes. To play devil's advocate why should my mother care? She's 84 on a pension and SS and will not see any benefit from money put into education. She and my father did everything asked of them paid their taxes, now in her twilight years she has to scrape and save to pay property taxes. Maybe their not outrageous to you and I as we are still actively working, but on a fixed income such as hers it's difficult. For the record she does care, and doesn't complain to much about the situation. Maybe it should be decided on a need basis. I'm just against sacrificing one segment of society for another.

Rasbatch... first let me say I enjoy a good debate with someone such as yourself that recognizes you can disagree with someone and not let it get personal.

In that spirit, to play a bit of devils advocate of my own, why should she care? because when she was raising her family, someone else was in the situation she's in now, and was helping her pay for her childrens education. (And this was before Medicaid and when SS benefits were much much much less).

Why should we care about the education of the next generation? because they'll be the ones running the country and making the economy hum when we're your mothers age.

Why should I care about you inheriting your mother house? That's really what this is about. She could mortgage the house to pay her taxes (It's called a reverse mortgage) but then you wouldn't inherit the house.

Just one mans opinion.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:38 am

It doesnt matter who wins the slots license. All 3 applicants will more than cover Randell's 100 million dollar refleif plan. There will be no more releif and no less from any of the 3 applicants. Harruh is turning this into a "Property Tax" issue so they can get a rise out of you fine people and sway you to their side.

The plan is for 100 million. PERIOD. Please investigate this yourself, DO NOT take the word of a man who is going to drive 125 miles tonight to watch the most disturbing rock band of our time.

That's right, I will be watching the Nine Inch Nails show at Erie's wonderful entertainment facility. I could get use to spending my tax dollars farther away too! :D
NIN

I see your points ex-pat

Postby rasbatch on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:34 pm

and I've decided to not resort to personal attacks cause I find it pretty silly. I may take a friendly jab from time to time :lol: I just don't see how after 50 some years of paying property taxes, SS taxes, and local, state, sales, etc that she should be asked to mortgage her house to pay her taxes. I could really care less about inheriting her house, I know that's not the issue here, but it really doesn't seem fair, life's not fair I do know that. Once again, I think it could be decided on need basis, cause it is obvious some folks don't need the help and some do.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:41 pm

Erie's wonderful entertainment facility

(cue gut-busting laughter)

WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

(now I'm crying)

BWWWWAAHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOHOOOHOOOHOOO!!!

(still crying from laughing so hard and frankly, now I'm starting to choke a little)

BWAHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

When you're up there taking in the Nine Inch Nails show, NIN, do yourself a favor and take a look around as you will be in the presence of some history. You will be sitting amongst the very same seats where yours truly - albeit a much younger and slimmer Stoosh - once attended his very first live hockey game some 16 or 17 years ago. The seats haven't changed at all either.

You will be sitting amongst the very same seats where both myself and Spoon once ran rampant and incited many spectators during some of the infamous (in Erie, anyway) District 10 basketball championship playoff games between Cathedral Prep and McDowell in the early 1990s.

If I may, if you have some time before the show, stop by the Plymouth or Calamari's on State Street just a couple of blocks south (away from the lake) of the arena for some food and a beer or five. The food there is good and you'll probably run into the better part of mine and Spoon's graduating class from high school. Most of those guys are lifers down at the Plymouth and Calamari's.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Stoosh wrote:
Erie's wonderful entertainment facility

(cue gut-busting laughter)

WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

(now I'm crying)

BWWWWAAHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOHOOOHOOOHOOO!!!

(still crying from laughing so hard and frankly, now I'm starting to choke a little)

BWAHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

When you're up there taking in the Nine Inch Nails show, NIN, do yourself a favor and take a look around as you will be in the presence of some history. You will be sitting amongst the very same seats where yours truly - albeit a much younger and slimmer Stoosh - once attended his very first live hockey game some 16 or 17 years ago. The seats haven't changed at all either.

You will be sitting amongst the very same seats where both myself and Spoon once ran rampant and incited many spectators during some of the infamous (in Erie, anyway) District 10 basketball championship playoff games between Cathedral Prep and McDowell in the early 1990s.

If I may, if you have some time before the show, stop by the Plymouth or Calamari's on State Street just a couple of blocks south (away from the lake) of the arena for some food and a beer or five. The food there is good and you'll probably run into the better part of mine and Spoon's graduating class from high school. Most of those guys are lifers down at the Plymouth and Calamari's.

Thanks man I was just pondering a place to get some good eats, although I am going 2 months strong without a beer due to my New Years resolution. I dont know if I could resist the urge while sitting down in a bar but I might give it a try.

:D Sounds like you guys had some good times up there! Also sounds like Pittsburgh isnt the only place ready for a new facility. Still, it says alot about the Mellon Arena when they pass up a place with a higher population around it.
NIN

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:50 pm

:D Sounds like you guys had some good times up there! Also sounds like Pittsburgh isnt the only place ready for a new facility. Still, it says alot about the Mellon Arena when they pass up a place with a higher population around it.

This wasnt intended to be a cheap shot at your age BTW :lol: . Just guessing.
NIN

hey stoosh

Postby rasbatch on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:52 pm

do you remember the Beer Mug? I loved playing that place. The owners mom would make a huge home cooked meal for us. You can't undervalue that when your 7 hungry boys on the road eating crap most of the time. I actually have a video of us playing there, and a picture of me with the bud girlz :lol:
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby spoon on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Tulio Arena is a piece of turd BUT it managed to get NIN away from Pittsburgh so what's that tell ya. I saw Public Enemy and 3rd Bass there in 1990. I was hip.

I heard theres a place on the corner of 12th and state which is good. Fat Guys or Big Heads. Something like that. If you're looking for a meat market I heard that Peccadillos is a decent place for cheap beer and college skanks. 10th ST between State and French. (i think that's french).

Take lotsa pics. i'm probably going up there soon so my family knows I'm still alive.

rasbatch wrote:do you remember the Beer Mug? I loved playing that place. The owners mom would make a huge home cooked meal for us. You can't undervalue that when your 7 hungry boys on the road eating crap most of the time. I actually have a video of us playing there, and a picture of me with the bud girlz :lol:

I know her very well. She's been a friend of the family for decades. I loved the Beer Mug. I used to hustle pool there. She makes GREAT polish food!
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:58 pm

spoon wrote:Tulio Arena is a piece of turd BUT it managed to get NIN away from Pittsburgh so what's that tell ya. I saw Public Enemy and 3rd Bass there in 1990. I was hip.

You have just gained a notch of repect in my eyes. PE in full effect, brutha!

And MC Serch was cool too. 8)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I was thinkin the same

Postby rasbatch on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:04 pm

thing. Would've never pegged spoon for a PE man? you learn something new everyday. Well not me but some people.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:06 pm

netwolf wrote:
spoon wrote:Tulio Arena is a piece of turd BUT it managed to get NIN away from Pittsburgh so what's that tell ya. I saw Public Enemy and 3rd Bass there in 1990. I was hip.

You have just gained a notch of repect in my eyes. PE in full effect, brutha!

And MC Serch was cool too. 8)

Actually Spoon it is called the Erie Civic Center. At least that is what I am lead to beleive.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/16003 ... orcatid=60

Unfortunately I don't have a suitable camera device for I am really picky when buying things and it is way down my list. I'll let ya'll know about the show if your fans.

Since you guys are rap fans, which I am not other than the odd Dre tune. Who is this guy?

http://www.saulwilliams.com/

Saul Williams? Does he just read poetry or does he rap with a band n'at. He is the opening act and quite frankly I am alittle confused by that.
NIN

Postby spoon on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:32 pm

NIN wrote:Actually Spoon it is called the Erie Civic Center. At least that is what I am lead to beleive.

*pppssssst*
http://the-spoon.textamerica.com/?r=2058357

Also according to the Otters it's the Tullio Arena 8)

netwolf wrote:You have just gained a notch of repect in my eyes. PE in full effect, brutha!

Well it's about friggin time! I've always been a PE fan. One of the first posters in my room was "Welcome to the Terrordome". Besides them, rap can suck it :wink:
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:16 pm

spoon wrote:Besides them, rap can suck it :wink:

You just lost that notch sparky. :P
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby spoon on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:24 pm

I dont wanna be another notch in your bedpost anyways!
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:29 pm

It used to be the Erie Civic Center. A few years ago, they changed it to "Tullio Arena", but a lot of the people who grew up with it still call it "The Civic Center".

I was always a big Digital Underground fan myself. Growing up in the late 1980s and early 1990s (graduated high school in 1994), it seemed like practically every white kid was really into rap to some extent and pretty much anyone who told you otherwise was probably lying. I grew up a huge Guns N' Roses fan, but I also remember being into Digital Underground (their song "Same Song" was the mainstream emergence of Tupac), Public Enemy, Run DMC and LL Cool J.

A good song could be found anywhere if you're willing to look.

One thing I never understood was the love affair with Nirvana. I know I'm opening up a BIG ol' can of worms here, but part of me thinks that Nirvana would never have been perceived the way they are if Cobain didn't turn his head into a canoe. I just never got into them. I tried listening to the albums to see what everyone was talking about, but I just never got it. I think groups like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and STP went on to be much more influential.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:36 pm

Stoosh wrote:I grew up a huge Guns N' Roses fan, but I also remember being into Digital Underground (their song "Same Song" was the mainstream emergence of Tupac), Public Enemy, Run DMC and LL Cool J.

Good man. DU was awesome. I liked all those groups and Heavy D and the Boyz were pretty good too. Sirius has a channel that plays nothing but thhat type of stuff. It's tremendous. The other day they played Chubb Rock's "Treat 'Em Right" back to back with "Jam On It" by Newcleus. 8)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby spoon on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Stoosh looked like Snow in highschool but spoon won't turn informer!
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:40 pm

spoon wrote:Stoosh looked like Snow in highschool but spoon won't turn informer!

Does that make you MC Shan then? You gotta love videos that scroll the lyrics along the bottom so people know what the heck you're saying... :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby rasbatch on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:42 pm

A good song could be found anywhere if you're willing to look.

One thing I never understood was the love affair with Nirvana. I know I'm opening up a BIG ol' can of worms here, but part of me thinks that Nirvana would never have been perceived the way they are if Cobain didn't turn his head into a canoe. I just never got into them. I tried listening to the albums to see what everyone was talking about, but I just never got it. I think groups like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and STP went on to be much more influential.[/quote]

You made the point right there about a good song. I was never a nirvana fan when they came out. Just was not my cup of tea, however after listening for awhile i realized dude could write a pretty good catchy song and that is not easy. as for the other bands don't really know enough to comment. Old ice cube and ice tea rock check out Tea's "drama" great record.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby spoon on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:44 pm

netwolf wrote:
spoon wrote:Stoosh looked like Snow in highschool but spoon won't turn informer!

Does that make you MC Shan then? You gotta love videos that scroll the lyrics along the bottom so people know what the heck you're saying... :wink:

I remember that Jukebox Network used to offer a "special" version of Smells Like Teen Spirit that you could order to watch the words.
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins