Take it with a Grain of Salt

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Take it with a Grain of Salt

Postby Shinoix on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:58 pm

but Eklund stated that Recchi will be going to Philly for picks!

Damn it, aren't we young enough? We need a solid player that has been around for a bit, but not TOO long like Recchi or LeClair.

More picks? C'mon CP, say it isn't so!
Shinoix
 

Postby Reilly on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:00 pm

Stop posting about Eklund.
Reilly
 

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:01 pm

Does it matter? If hlaf of what some people say about Recchi is true he needs to go and if it's for picks then fine. This deadline though represents an opportunity for us to pick up some mid grade talent who is a bit overpayed that other teams need to dump in order to take on bigger contracts to put them over the hump for the playoffs.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,563
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Take it with a Grain of Salt

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:10 pm

Shinoix wrote:but Eklund stated that Recchi will be going to Philly for picks!

Damn it, aren't we young enough? We need a solid player that has been around for a bit, but not TOO long like Recchi or LeClair.

More picks? C'mon CP, say it isn't so!


I don't want anything less than a second for him. If it's a package of lower round crap picks, then I say hang onto him. I don't know what is worse, though, trusting CP to make a smart trade for a player or trusting CP to make a smart second round pick.

But it makes sense they will only trade for picks. Don't forget they are trying to sell the team, and the more they can pare the payroll, the more attractive the franchise becomes.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,759
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Shinoix on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:13 pm

good point, and I agree on the comparison of what situation could be worse for CP. LOL

Recchi can be a serious contributor for a team in the playoffs, he's playing great right now and we should be able to bring something half decent in for him.

Alas, CP is at the helm, so that squashes any hope of that.
Shinoix
 

Postby Draftnik on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:14 pm

The NHL is very different than it was before the Cap era. If Recchi is moved for picks it is the same thing as opening up $2.3M (or ~ $800K, Recchi's player option) for next season. The Pens could use that for Malkin's salary and Group A bonuses. They could use it on an UFA defenseman. They could use it to get a decent dman like Danny Markov, Toni Lydman, etc for the Recchi pick when another teams signs high priced UFAs and has to dump a contract to take on the salary of the new guy.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: Take it with a Grain of Salt

Postby DayWalker on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Shinoix wrote:but Eklund stated that Recchi will be going to Philly for picks!

Damn it, aren't we young enough? We need a solid player that has been around for a bit, but not TOO long like Recchi or LeClair.

More picks? C'mon CP, say it isn't so!


I don't want anything less than a second for him. If it's a package of lower round crap picks, then I say hang onto him. I don't know what is worse, though, trusting CP to make a smart trade for a player or trusting CP to make a smart second round pick.

But it makes sense they will only trade for picks. Don't forget they are trying to sell the team, and the more they can pare the payroll, the more attractive the franchise becomes.


You are a Penguins fan, yeah?

Then how could you possibly want a second-round pick for him?

History suggests that anything BUT a second-round pick would be better, given the "Curse of the Pittsburgh Penguins Secound-Round Pick."
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,746
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Take it with a Grain of Salt

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:28 pm

DayWalker wrote:You are a Penguins fan, yeah?

Then how could you possibly want a second-round pick for him?

History suggests that anything BUT a second-round pick would be better, given the "Curse of the Pittsburgh Penguins Secound-Round Pick."


Okay, how about a second and a new GM who will use it wisely :D ?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,759
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:01 pm

Reilly wrote:Stop posting about Eklund.


Yeah, like anyone will listen to you. Again, another meaningful post from you.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,839
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Postby Mosby on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:12 pm

I believe Philly has multiple 2nd round picks. They picked up more with trading down in the 2005 draft (first round). I believe they have 3 or 4 2nd round picks this year.

I will be very happy with a return of Ryan Potulny and a 2nd round pick for Recchi.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 am

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:15 pm

Mosby wrote:I believe Philly has multiple 2nd round picks. They picked up more with trading down in the 2005 draft (first round). I believe they have 3 or 4 2nd round picks this year.

I will be very happy with a return of Ryan Potulny and a 2nd round pick for Recchi.


We ain't getting Ryan Potulny for Mark Recchi.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,759
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Mosby on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:34 pm

If we can't get even get a B level prsospect like Ryan Potulny for Recchi, then why even bother to trade him? The money is a BS reason to get rid of him, we have for the most part paid his entire salary for this year.

There is no team in the NHL that is going to pick up the team option (of $2.2 M for next year) of his contact. So a 2nd round pick in a crappy, shallow draft is a better deal then paying $760K for a guy who will bring in about 50 points next year.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 am

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:38 pm

Mosby wrote:If we can't get even get a B level prsospect like Ryan Potulny for Recchi, then why even bother to trade him? The money is a BS reason to get rid of him, we have for the most part paid his entire salary for this year.

There is no team in the NHL that is going to pick up the team option (of $2.2 M for next year) of his contact. So a 2nd round pick in a crappy, shallow draft is a better deal then paying $760K for a guy who will bring in about 50 points next year.


31 goals and 56 points in 36 games, playing for the top team in the country and in the toughest conference in the country equates to a B-level prospect :?: :?: :?:
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,759
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Steve Latin on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:46 pm

Flyers have overpaid for rentals in the past. Remember this trade of a 39 year old Adam Oates scoring at about the rate Recchi is this season?

19-Mar-02
Washington Capitals traded Adam Oates to the Philadelphia Flyers for Maxime Ouellet, a 1st (later traded to Dallas - Martin Vagner), a 2nd (Maxime Daigneault) and a 3rd (Derek Krestanovich) round selections in 2002.


I'd expect at least a 1st rounder or decent young player in return.
Steve Latin
 

Postby jmh70 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:55 pm

Picks >>>>>>>>>>>> RJ
jmh70
 

Postby Mosby on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:12 pm

Ryan Potulny IS a B level prospect. If you think, he's better than that, then you're probability in the group of sheep around here that think Erik Christensen is untouchable.

A prospect needs to be ranked by more then his offensive stat line. Nearly fifty percent of Potulny goals are on PP (15 out of his 31). His skating is average. He needs to add strength to handle NHL forwards and needs work on his defensive coverage which at this point is slightly below average at best for a college player. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Flyers move him from Center to LW to hide his strength/lack of defensive awareness issues. I don’t think he has the goods to be a NHL center. He’s the type of kid that if he not scoring goals on one of your top two lines; he’s going be totally worthless. He can’t be on the 3rd or 4th lines. That is a B level prospect my friend.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 am

Postby Draftnik on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:36 pm

Mosby wrote:If we can't get even get a B level prsospect like Ryan Potulny for Recchi, then why even bother to trade him? The money is a BS reason to get rid of him, we have for the most part paid his entire salary for this year.

There is no team in the NHL that is going to pick up the team option (of $2.2 M for next year) of his contact. So a 2nd round pick in a crappy, shallow draft is a better deal then paying $760K for a guy who will bring in about 50 points next year.


This isn't about next season. I agree Recchi would score more points in 06/07 than any AHL/NCAA/CHL prospect the Pens would acquire for him. Next season is irrelevant. The Pens will not make the playoffs. They need to get some forwards in their empty goal scorer system so that a few will pan out to be legitimate NHL goal scorers. I agree Potulny isn't an A level prospect, but he has quite a finishing touch around the net. He also has the top +/- of any UM F, so his defensive presence and even strength play can't be that bad. I haven't noticed him being a defensive liability in the ~ 10 UM games I've watched this season. With Crosby and Malkin anchoring the top 2 C spots for the next 6/7 seasons all good scoring forwards will be moved to the wing in Pittsburgh if they are to play on the top 2 lines.

Potulny would be more likely to score more points than Recchi in 09/10. That is what this type of trade would be about. The Pens also could take the savings on Recchi's salary to sign another UFA and replace some of his scoring in the 06/07 lineup or maybe even resign him as has been widely speculated in many trade articles. Other teams are not going to exercise his $2.3M option and Recchi isn't going to exercise his ~ $800K option if he can get a better 1 year deal in Pittsburgh.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Mosby on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:41 pm

I'm not saying don't trade Recchi. We need some winger prospects for our first two lines...totally agree. In fact, we need multiple prospects in hope of finding one or two that are legitimate scoring line players. We can’t afford to keep picking high in the first round. The key to fielding a team to stay somewhat intact for multiple playoff runs is finding two players in the 2nd, 3rd round or beyond that become studs for your team. Two guys that are not getting the rookie max from the start. We are missing our Brad Richards and Martin St. Louis.

Where I disagree is that if we can not even get a single B level prospect that has some potential to play someday on the 2nd line. Then why trade Recchi?
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 am

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:21 am

Mosby wrote:Where I disagree is that if we can not even get a single B level prospect that has some potential to play someday on the 2nd line. Then why trade Recchi?


I think it is too soon to say if Potulny (for example) can or can't play on the 2nd line in the NHL. Who knows what type of player a 2nd round pick could be down the road?

Who cares what happens to the Pens over the last ~ 20 games. Getting rid of Recchi would be a good thing because at this point the Pens need to get Johnson or Kessel and a last place finish will ensure that.

They can acquire some kind of asset(s) and still resign Recchi next season. If they don't resign Recchi they can use the $2.3M and sign somebody else. I agree they need to get several Fs in the system that can score goals because all of them will not pan out. I also think the Pens could save some $$ in 06/07 because they probably could sign Recchi for somewhere between his option ~$800K and the team option $2.3M.

This way the Pens get a B prospect, maybe a draft pick or another B prospect, and they save $$$ on Recchi in 06/07 that they might be able to use on an ~ $800K checking type forward or depth dman. If the Pens don't pick up his $2.3M option it would cause resentment on his part if he decided to exercise his player option to stay with the team. Trading him gives the Pens some latitude to reduce his cost for next season without alienating him.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Easy Pens Fan, ffemtreed, lemieuxReturns, neophool and 18 guests

e-mail