Honest effort tonight

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Honest effort tonight

Postby fourtKNOX on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:20 pm

in a season where there needs to be search of the souls... i believe up and down this roster that the honest heart and sould is there... this is what the third game that they could have folded... not shown up for the 2nd and third periods and went out in the town early... but they dig in and make a game of it... i know i know

also just a note... we do lack goal scoring... i realize this... but the last 2 or 3 games... we have scored a few goals... to little to late... but we are scoring... i hope thats a good sign!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:21 pm

It's a moral victory.

I'm sick of moral victories.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby fourtKNOX on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:23 pm

skullman80 wrote:It's a moral victory.

I'm sick of moral victories.

we have to start somewhere!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:30 pm

Again,it's something that's been brought up alot the last few games:Why don't the Pens play this good at the start of games?
Stevens25

Postby Stoosh on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:49 pm

Again,it's something that's been brought up alot the last few games:Why don't the Pens play this good at the start of games?

Because that's what you get when you...

1) have several the integral roles on your team being filled night in and night out by players who were still playing amateur hockey two or three years ago, and...

2) have the rest of the roles on your team being filled by players who are just flat-out terrible players.

I'm not trying to be a ***, either Stevens, so please don't take it that way. It's just that this is an incredibly young team that knows it has to play a near-perfect game to compete against the Ottawas, Carolinas and Tampa Bays of the NHL.

A lot of times, young players and below-average players will play back on their heels a little too much against teams like that because they're too wary of making a mistake. They play too conservative because they don't want to gamble on making plays and risk getting beat. This is why sometimes you see them come out slow.

In the same respect though, there have been several times this year that the Pens have come out smoking against quality opponents, only to see the opposition weather the storm and get a goal or two once the Pens' adrenaline dies down. And you can see it right away,...some of the players skate around with that "here we go again" look on their faces. I'd be willing to bet we've seen this sort of thing just as much as the team coming out too slow at the start of games.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:56 pm

Stoosh wrote:

Because that's what you get when you...

1) have several the integral roles on your team being filled night in and night out by players who were still playing amateur hockey two or three years ago, and...

2) have the rest of the roles on your team being filled by players who are just flat-out terrible players.

I'm not trying to be a ***, either Stevens, so please don't take it that way. It's just that this is an incredibly young team that knows it has to play a near-perfect game to compete against the Ottawas, Carolinas and Tampa Bays of the NHL.

A lot of times, young players and below-average players will play back on their heels a little too much against teams like that because they're too wary of making a mistake. They play too conservative because they don't want to gamble on making plays and risk getting beat. This is why sometimes you see them come out slow.

In the same respect though, there have been several times this year that the Pens have come out smoking against quality opponents, only to see the opposition weather the storm and get a goal or two once the Pens' adrenaline dies down. And you can see it right away,...some of the players skate around with that "here we go again" look on their faces. I'd be willing to bet we've seen this sort of thing just as much as the team coming out too slow at the start of games.

Oh,I know what you mean Stoosh. I guess it's just frustrating because we all know they can play alot better(they have beaten some really good teams),but for some reason just can't put it all together,most time not untill later in the game. However,I do give them full credit for not giving up. It's good to know that there is some fight in them.
Stevens25

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins