My Tuesday Night Game Report

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

My Tuesday Night Game Report

Postby Bowser on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:48 pm

Live from C25 (thanks TDICE) - its Tuesday Night Recap

Marc-Andre Fleury just doesn't have IT right now. His angles are out of whack. The Penguins got a point thanks to the team, not to Fleury. The best save was by Crosby going pads stacked against a Bolts shoot in the left slot.

Crosby picked up his play in the third.... as did the team.

Why is Shane Endicott in the NHL?

Long lost brothers, Jani Rita and Konstantin Koltsov....

Ryan Whitney welcome back....

Sergei Gonchar.... go visit a pyschologist

The Penguins and Lightning received tons of power-plays, yet, this game was horribly officiated. Andre Roy was blatantly obstructed in the view of TWO refs, yet they did nothing. During the tv timeout, Recchi really gave it to the one ref.

After 2nd pd ended, Roy went after the ref and said something but somehow, he didn't get a "T" for a misconduct. Then Robert Scuderi, Mr. Quiet gets T'd up.

Like I said, these are a few examples, if I wasn't so tired, I know there were a ton missed on both sides.

Oh yeah, Sidney Crosby, damn fine hockey player.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby guiner on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Huge game for Whitney, he made a few bad decisions that led to turnovers and opportunities, but he was hauling it up the ice, stepping into steal passes and really moving with the puck.

Also thought Armstrong had a great game.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: My Tuesday Night Game Report

Postby Goalie on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Crosby gave great effort to stack the pads and play goalie on that shot but the shot went wide and hit the outside of the net, never touching Crosby.

The real officiating crime was the Bolts should have recieved at least a 4 minute penalty for a high stick on Oullet but nothing was called in the third.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:56 pm

I was wondering what happened to Ouellet seeing as though the arena wouldn't replay it. Then to see them move the faceoff outside the blueline was insult to injury.

Taking a tally, Ouellet has now been boarded worse than Orpik's hit on Cole without a penalty or suspension and now bashed in the face and nothing.

When does the little french guy go nuts?
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby guiner on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:58 pm

Goalie wrote:The real officiating crime was the Bolts should have recieved at least a 4 minute penalty for a high stick on Oullet but nothing was called in the third.

I don't think its a penalty. per the rulebook "A player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion."

I think a shooting motion includes passes, shooting around boards etc. Its been called that way for years. In the Olympics, they called a penatly on a play just like that and the announcers pointed out how it was not a penalty in the NHL.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:59 pm

best game for Army since the break.

I'd like to mention a spirited shift by the Rita, Koltsov, and Surovy line after the Pens made it 4-3 or something like that. They just skate hard and try to cycle the puck to death.

Rita is gaining more and more confidence at center, if you don't see the little things away from the camera such as positioning and angles, you won't know what I mean.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Goalie on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:00 am

guiner wrote:
Goalie wrote:The real officiating crime was the Bolts should have recieved at least a 4 minute penalty for a high stick on Oullet but nothing was called in the third.

I don't think its a penalty. per the rulebook "A player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion."

I think a shooting motion includes passes, shooting around boards etc. Its been called that way for years. In the Olympics, they called a penatly on a play just like that and the announcers pointed out how it was not a penalty in the NHL.

g

That is a penalty, no normal follow through extends 6' in the air especially for a simple clearing move that was involved in that play. The Tampa player carelessly whipped around with his stick high in the air, it should have been a penalty.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:01 am

Nice recap, Bowser...

TSN says the paid attendance tonight was 15,048. Not bad at all for a last place team with nothing to play for on a weeknight.

Madden is debating on his post-game show the merits of possibly sending Fleury back to the AHL so he can get his confidence back. Can't say I completely disagree with him.

I'm hesitant to bash Fleury for the way he's playing because I keep reminding myself that 1) he's barely 21 years old and 2) he's playing in front of one of the worst defenses I've ever seen at the NHL level. If we're seeing this type of inconsistent play out of Fleury four or five years from now, then we can start worrying. But I still say that it's pretty damn amazing for this kid to be playing behind this defense at his age and still be able to post a save percentage of .897 and a goals-against of 3.39

I don't know why Shane Endicott's in the NHL right now. And if Craig Patrick is still using the possibility of losing Endo on waivers as justification for keeping him here, Patrick's losing his mind quicker than I thought.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:06 am

Stoosh wrote:I don't know why Shane Endicott's in the NHL right now. And if Craig Patrick is still using the possibility of losing Endo on waivers as justification for keeping him here, Patrick's losing his mind quicker than I thought.

The only thing I can possibly imagine is that they're subtly tanking (since they can't really send Sid down, ya know ;))
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:08 am

I heard Madden mention earlier today about Fleury's need to get a little meaner in net. He needs to be the leader out there. When someone rams him in the crease, he needs to send a blocker to the back of the guys head or a quick strike to the calf iwth the stick.

Fleury has things to work on, I believe much of it is the organizations blame for refusing to work with their young players. There is no mentor program, there is little guidance with a full-time goalie coach.

I'm not sure MAF should be sent to WBS until the season ends and if they think he could help them in the playoffs. I know one thing, he needs something positive before the hockey season ends.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Goalie on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:13 am

Stoosh wrote:Madden is debating on his post-game show the merits of possibly sending Fleury back to the AHL so he can get his confidence back. Can't say I completely disagree with him.

I'm hesitant to bash Fleury for the way he's playing because I keep reminding myself that 1) he's barely 21 years old and 2) he's playing in front of one of the worst defenses I've ever seen at the NHL level. If we're seeing this type of inconsistent play out of Fleury four or five years from now, then we can start worrying. But I still say that it's pretty damn amazing for this kid to be playing behind this defense at his age and still be able to post a save percentage of .897 and a goals-against of 3.39

Fluery has played 31 of 37 games since being recalled. Those are Broduer like numbers and the kid is 21 years old and still learning his way in the NHL. I think he is mentally worn down from the pressure that is playing behind a defense like the Penguins have. He knows every night that he has no room for error and I think it has worn him down.

He is not tired physically, not only did he just have the Olympic break but as I said above he is just 21, he has all kinds of energy. He works hard at practice and if you read the Trib article from today wants to be perfect even in practice and becomes frustrated when he struggles.

The learning curve for young goalies is a long one in the NHL and Fluery is going through that now. It does not help that he has played so much and been exposed to so many shots night in and night out. Fluery will be fine, it would help if Caron could play two games in a row without having to be replaced in the first period so Fluery could sit and watch two games in a row.

Watching from the bench might give him perspective ala a player being benched for a night and watching from the press box.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:29 am

If CP manages to trade Gonchar before next season, he will totally redeem himself for all the mistakes he's made recently. Gonchar cannot be allowed to remain in Pittsburgh for the duration of his contract. He consistently hurts this team, which is vastly worse than garbage players like Endo and Surovy who do nothing at all. I would trade Gonchar for Yashin in a hearbeat.
jmh70

Postby skullman80 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:30 am

jmh70 wrote:If CP manages to trade Gonchar before next season, he will totally redeem himself for all the mistakes he's made recently. Gonchar cannot be allowed to remain in Pittsburgh for the duration of his contract. He consistently hurts this team, which is vastly worse than garbage players like Endo and Surovy who do nothing at all. I would trade Gonchar for Yashin in a hearbeat.

Gonchar has been playing better recently. Much much better.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:33 am

Those of us who were against putting Fleury behind this garbage defense (and team, really) are looking smarter as each game goes on. Even though he is and has been the best option for the Penguins right now, I'm still going to maintain that it would have been better for him to dominate an entire year fully in the AHL + playoffs before giving him a go as the full time NHL starter. That is the kind of experience that other promising young goalies around his age have been given.

I also think Rita is starting to look better overall out there.

Koltsov simply does not contribute offensively, but his speed bails the Penguins out often. His defensive awareness has improved and will keep improving, so at this point, I think he's worth keeping around for a while.

I also thought Surovy had some good shifts tonight.

Crosby, Armstrong and Rex seem to make for a nice trio.

Cairns is actually looking semi-competent half the time, and has played way better that I ever imagined he would.

Also, one note on Gonchar. I don't think it's my place to tell people how to act at games, but I think people really need to lay off of him. It's getting to the point where he is not even being given the chance to do anything good before half the people boo him. Yeah. he has been absolutely terrible for most of the year, but harrassing him isn't going to make the situation any better.

Really, I guess it's just typical yinzerism that gets me annoyed. People were yelling at him for things that just weren't his fault, such as when the puck came back to the point on the PP and he was a little out of the zone. It isn't his fault that Leclair couldn't handle or make a pass on the boards, which lead to a turnover, meaning Gonchar, the last man back, had to pull back a little.

Then you have the shoot the puck crowd, who I wish would just leave already. If that isn't the most annoying thing for any semi-cognizant intelligent fan to have to listen to I don't know what is.

Sometimes I really hate the yinzers.
MrKnowNothing

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:34 am

A caller to the Pens post game with Bob Grove said Fleury "has been getting scored on like he's a member of the Pens Patrol."

In typical Grove fashion, he did not respond to that aspect of the call. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby schreibdog on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 am

Bowser wrote:Sergei Gonchar.... go visit a pyschologist

Huh? Maybe I missed something tonight?

I was impressed with the Surovy, Rita, Koltsov line. I think MT has some pretty solid line combos going right now. I've seen some good work out of the Malone, LeClair, Bogy and of course Crosby, Recchi, Armstrong. I still wish he'd put my boy Surovy back with Crosby and Armstrong. If Recchi's dealt before the deadline, I'm hoping he gets back on a line with those two.

As good as Recchi's been playing, I still think Jackman needs to be on the point opposite Gonchar on the #1 PP unit.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby schreibdog on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:40 am

MrKnowNothing wrote:Also, one note on Gonchar. I don't think it's my place to tell people how to act at games, but I think people really need to lay off of him. It's getting to the point where he is not even being given the chance to do anything good before half the people boo him. Yeah. he has been absolutely terrible for most of the year, but harrassing him isn't going to make the situation any better.

Really, I guess it's just typical yinzerism that gets me annoyed. People were yelling at him for things that just weren't his fault, such as when the puck came back to the point on the PP and he was a little out of the zone. It isn't his fault that Leclair couldn't handle or make a pass on the boards, which lead to a turnover, meaning Gonchar, the last man back, had to pull back a little.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly! IMO, he's been playing well lately.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:44 am

MrKnowNothing wrote:Also, one note on Gonchar. I don't think it's my place to tell people how to act at games, but I think people really need to lay off of him. It's getting to the point where he is not even being given the chance to do anything good before half the people boo him. Yeah. he has been absolutely terrible for most of the year, but harrassing him isn't going to make the situation any better.

Then you have the shoot the puck crowd, who I wish would just leave already. If that isn't the most annoying thing for any semi-cognizant intelligent fan to have to listen to I don't know what is.

A-freaking-men, brutha! Image

schreibdog wrote:[I was impressed with the Surovy, Rita, Koltsov line. I think MT has some pretty solid line combos going right now. I've seen some good work out of the Malone, LeClair, Bogy and of course Crosby, Recchi, Armstrong. I still wish he'd put my boy Surovy back with Crosby and Armstrong. If Recchi's dealt before the deadline, I'm hoping he gets back on a line with those two.

As good as Recchi's been playing, I still think Jackman needs to be on the point opposite Gonchar on the #1 PP unit.

The Rita line did a pretty good job in their role tonight. Koltsov made good use of his speed and was pretty disruptive. It's not what you'd want out of a 1st round pick, but if he plays like that more often than not, he'll be worth keeping.

I also liked the few shifts I saw of Roy as well. Big hits bring energy. Big hits also make other guys more likely to throw hits.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:59 am

There would be no point to send Fleury down. He's the best we have in the organization. Also remember that Di Pirteo and Luongo looked aweful their first few years in the NHL.

For how good Luongo is he's never had a winning season yet and is he a bad goalie?

The wins will come once he learns the angles better. I think he still needs a goalie coach to work with him full time on the little things.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:23 am

GOnchar has gotten better but he's still playing tentatively going back on the puck in his own zone against a skater close to him. He lost three puck pursuits and that's unacceptable for a player of his skill set and experience.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby HitSomeBody on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:12 am

MrKnowNothing wrote:Then you have the shoot the puck crowd, who I wish would just leave already. If that isn't the most annoying thing for any semi-cognizant intelligent fan to have to listen to I don't know what is.

I've always felt the fans were a little over zealous with the 'shoot the puck' calls. BUT, very few pucks go in on their own. You have to put the puck on the net to even have a chance to score. How many goals come on rebounds? or deflections?

Passing the puck around the perimeter, as the Pens tend to do, doesn't result in goals.

By the way, a Yinzer is someone who's a born and bred native Pittsburgher, you don't have to be born in Pittsburgh to be ignorant. Nor are all Pittsburgh natives ignorant.
HitSomeBody

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:18 am

HitSomeBody wrote:
MrKnowNothing wrote:Then you have the shoot the puck crowd, who I wish would just leave already. If that isn't the most annoying thing for any semi-cognizant intelligent fan to have to listen to I don't know what is.

I've always felt the fans were a little over zealous with the 'shoot the puck' calls. BUT, very few pucks go in on their own. You have to put the puck on the net to even have a chance to score. How many goals come on rebounds? or deflections?

Passing the puck around the perimeter, as the Pens tend to do, doesn't result in goals.

By the way, a Yinzer is someone who's a born and bred native Pittsburgher, you don't have to be born in Pittsburgh to be ignorant. Nor are all Pittsburgh natives ignorant.

I totally agree, it's gotten so bad, that LeClair passed the puck last night instead of putting it on goal when Grahme was completely out of the crease... Come MrKnowNothing, you have to shoot it when there's no goalie in the crease!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

good game!

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:28 am

comebacks/let-downs , matter of which side you cheer but no matter
some strong play from the defense earns pens a point.
Ryan Whitney, he is dominant when he skates, head-up. Plus, he
can hold/freeze people when he takes a shot...hoping he gets
more PP time on 1st PP unit.
After Joe Melichar scored that goal from amazing Sid dish, darn if Joe
didn't go back to try to win the game in OT. A Melichar drive to the
net. :lol:

Effort is always there for most, really. Once Colby & Whitney, more
of the offensive players play with Sid the more they can work together
to be on same page...
K Koltsov, I know the hands are light years behind his feet but
there is no quit in him. Koltsov had one shot from a corner and almost, almost, blew
puck past J Grahame.

Marc-Andre, I don't know what is best for him...MM was saying he needs bit of the crazed-goalie demeanor aka, t barrasso/patty roy. Needs to develop an attitude of being PO instead of depressed by bad goals. Does CP pick up a truly back up goalie and let marc-andre go help WBS? :?:

Sid did not miss by much on his face-off to the goal shot.

In next section over...igloo seats, of course...Ms/Miss Pennsylvania
was holding court. they announced she was a senior at Duquense U
and will be off to the Miss USA round. She was wearing her bling-bling
sash. Next game I'm wearing my Ms North-Side sash... :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:11 pm

HitSomeBody wrote:

I would classify a yinzer differently.

What you said about shooting is correct, but people are not just a little overzealous about it. The yinzers go crazy over it, calling for bad, and I mean bad, shots from the point.

It was kind of ironic last night when they were yelling it for about 10, 15 seconds straight. Finally Gonchar lets this half assed shot from the blue line go, which of course gets blocked. So the people boo Gonchar. The irony was that almost every player who had the puck before him that people were yelling at were in just as bad of a position to shoot.

You don't just crank it up and fire whenever you are slightly open near the top of the zone. You need to make the plays to get the open shot. Players do pass on open shots, but nowhere near as often as you would think if you listened to the yinzers cries.
MrKnowNothing

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:16 pm

MrKnowNothing wrote:What you said about shooting is correct, but people are not just a little overzealous about it. The yinzers go crazy over it, calling for bad, and I mean bad, shots from the point.

It was kind of ironic last night when they were yelling it for about 10, 15 seconds straight. Finally Gonchar lets this half assed shot from the blue line go, which of course gets blocked. So the people boo Gonchar. The irony was that almost every player who had the puck before him that people were yelling at were in just as bad of a position to shoot.

Dude, never sit in the south E balcony then. I have season seats there and that's all I hear. Well that, and the stupid "whoop whoop" garbage that every Pens fan said was low class when Larry Murphy was getting that in Washington. :evil:

The best one was against Edmonton. Whitney about to receive a pass at left point. Before it's on his stick everyone is getting on him to shoot. He does... right into the forwards shinpads. I forget who it was (Horcoff, Moreau?) went in and scored shorthanded. Immediately the exact same people who wanted the shot started booing and calling Whitney an idiot.

Just another example to support my theory that people are stupid. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins