Recchi AND Malone

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Recchi AND Malone

Postby spi on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:14 am

I heard Madden mention Recchi AND Malone for RJ Umberger. If the pens trade Malone and recchi for RJ, CP deserves to be beaten with bamboo. How could they justify 2 players for him let alone a 26 year old and a proven vet.

HOWEVER, I am intrigued by a player such as Leapold yet I dont know much about him. What are all of your thoughts on MMs rumors (all Kovy references aside)
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 am

If Leopold has been offered, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't have made the trade already. That said, Malone is really starting to come on lately. But, Leopold is a very good young player.

Both for Umberger is just completely idiotic. Patrick should be fired if he ever made the trade. Not only is Umberger just not worth that much, it would just be another glaring asset mismanagement by Patrick. He could have signed Umberger a few years ago if he did not try to nickel and dime him. So now he might acquire him by giving up the second best player on the team AND one of our few somewhat proven young wingers? :roll:

I don't really put a lot of stock in any rumors, but I don't question the fact that these are rumors that were floated around somewhere and reported by Madden. People go way overboard when it comes to rumors. It isn't as though someone like Madden can just get inside info on what is about to be done any time. All he can do is pass along things that were discussed. It's not exactly possible for him to get a gauge on the probability of things either. If it were, he'd be Craig Patrick.
MrKnowNothing

Re: Recchi AND Malone

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 am

spi wrote:(all Kovy references aside)

I think you answered your own question. :)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:49 am

I heard it could be RJ and either Freddie Meyer or Branko Radivojivec. CP will want more back if Malone is included. I'm not sure if I would want to part with any of those guys and especially no how no way for BSRB straight up. I'd be excited about Malone. I've always liked him but it seems many Pens fans have dogged him this year so there must be a reason behind it. Perhaps a change would get him rolling.

I see no reason why Clarke would give up on RJ now. The kid has found his role on the team on the 3rd line. He can play wing or center, is responsible defensively and cycles the puck as well as anyone on the team. Meyer has the talent but is a little small, Branko is a high energy guy who is underrated IMO. He'd fit nice on the second line on this team.

I think if you guys any two of these three you should be satisfied with the trade.
FlyerNation

Re: Recchi AND Malone

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:06 am

spi wrote: What are all of your thoughts on MMs rumors (all Kovy references aside)

MM rumors?.... Wait, I have to stop laughing first.

You ask that we not mention Kovy... OK, that debacle aside, remember when MM posted/announced that he had BIG NEWS about the Pens and the new Arena? He announced that he had inside information that the Pens had given up hope and basically 'thrown in the towel' on the entire process...

.. the very next day a bus chartered by the pens took a group of a couple of dozen Pols and reporters to Columbus to see Nationwide Arena...

... Real good INSIDE INFORMATION huh?
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:16 am

As far as Umberger is concerned: Recchi AND Malone is an awful trade idea. Malone for Umberger is a wash and it does'nt help or hurt either team, a waste of a trade. Recchi for Umberger makes alot of sense for both clubs but I think it would beneift us the most over the long run. If the Flyers win the CUp this year it would be worth the long term loss for them.
NIN

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:16 am

I remember that. Madden has a tendancy to over-react... but I don't doubt that he hears things. Even with Kovalev. I believe him that he said Kovy told him he would be playing in pittsburgh again..... however, this doesn't mean you ruin your reputation telling everyone its definate that Kovy will be playing for pittsburgh again, when you have absolutely nothing to do with the situation and you report what someone says to you in passing.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby vcip on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:27 am

FlyerNation wrote:I heard it could be RJ and either Freddie Meyer or Branko Radivojivec. CP will want more back if Malone is included. I'm not sure if I would want to part with any of those guys and especially no how no way for BSRB straight up. I'd be excited about Malone. I've always liked him but it seems many Pens fans have dogged him this year so there must be a reason behind it. Perhaps a change would get him rolling.

I see no reason why Clarke would give up on RJ now. The kid has found his role on the team on the 3rd line. He can play wing or center, is responsible defensively and cycles the puck as well as anyone on the team. Meyer has the talent but is a little small, Branko is a high energy guy who is underrated IMO. He'd fit nice on the second line on this team.

I think if you guys any two of these three you should be satisfied with the trade.

Sorry FN but Radio is not a 2nd line player. Good skater but not much of a scorer.
If CP does this trade he should be beaten. How about Recchi for Sammi?
vcip
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:30 am

vcip wrote:
FlyerNation wrote:I heard it could be RJ and either Freddie Meyer or Branko Radivojivec. CP will want more back if Malone is included. I'm not sure if I would want to part with any of those guys and especially no how no way for BSRB straight up. I'd be excited about Malone. I've always liked him but it seems many Pens fans have dogged him this year so there must be a reason behind it. Perhaps a change would get him rolling.

Sorry FN but Radio is not a 2nd line player. Good skater but not much of a scorer.
If CP does this trade he should be beaten. How about Recchi for Sammi?

You must have hit your head. Recchi for Sammi would be a joke. The Flyers need to get better defensively adding Recchi hurts that and taking away Kapananen makes it even worse.

Sorry but Branko would be a 2nd line winger here. It's all about depth and the Pens don't have it.
FlyerNation

Postby vcip on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:20 am

I may have. I just see a Sammi type player is what is needed on the Pens. I would rather have Surovy or Oullet playing a 2nd line rather than a Branco.
I would rather have Koltsov than him also & I don't want 2 of them.
vcip
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bse on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:37 pm

Don't expect miracles from Craig Patrick.

"There's lots of talk, but, obviously, there have been no deals made," Patrick said. "I don't know what's going to [happen]."

Great. Our GM, once again, does not know what's going to happen. The insight CP shows is priceless. Will he ever have a plan?
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:44 pm

bse wrote:Don't expect miracles from Craig Patrick.

"There's lots of talk, but, obviously, there have been no deals made," Patrick said. "I don't know what's going to [happen]."

Great. Our GM, once again, does not know what's going to happen. The insight CP shows is priceless. Will he ever have a plan?

Guess it would have been better if he outlined exactly what is going to happen.

"There's lots of talk, but, obviously, there have been no deals made," Patrick said. "But I will trade Recchi and Malone to Philadelphia for Freddie Meyer and RJ Umberger, then I will trade John Leclair to Ottawa for Anton Volchenkov, then I will steal a nuke and ransom the world for a million dollars."
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bse on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:48 pm

Haha, pfim, a good one :D

But that's not to say CP couldn't have told anything else. Other GMs do, all the time. CP could have told us "he has a plan and that the organisation is committed to it" or that he plans to upgrade at position X or plans to acquire draft picks mostly or "aims to get ready for next season and position the make up of the team with that in mind" blahblah. Everything would have been better than his usual "Hey, I don't know anything, I just work here" - type of approach.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:52 pm

bse wrote:Haha, pfim, a good one :D

But that's not to say CP couldn't have told anything else. Other GMs do, all the time. CP could have told us "he has a plan and that the organisation is committed to it" or that he plans to upgrade at position X or plans to acquire draft picks mostly or "aims to get ready for next season and position the make up of the team with that in mind" blahblah. Everything would have been better than his usual "Hey, I don't know anything, I just work here" - type of approach.

On the list of things that concern me about the Pittsburgh Penguins, this doesn't even make the first draft.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bse on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:54 pm

pfim wrote:On the list of things that concern me about the Pittsburgh Penguins, this doesn't even make the first draft.

If I was in charge, this would certainly be my first priority - not to re-sign Craig Patrick and let him go. It seems obvious he doesn't know what he's doing. He's not even trying to tell the press he's doing something.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:57 pm

bse wrote:
pfim wrote:On the list of things that concern me about the Pittsburgh Penguins, this doesn't even make the first draft.

If I was in charge, this would certainly be my first priority - not to re-sign Craig Patrick and let him go. It seems obvious he doesn't know what he's doing. He's not even trying to tell the press he's doing something.

Then when he's fired, you can advocate that a public relations director take his place.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:09 pm

pfim wrote:
bse wrote:Don't expect miracles from Craig Patrick.

Guess it would have been better if he outlined exactly what is going to happen.

"There's lots of talk, but, obviously, there have been no deals made," Patrick said. "But I will trade Recchi and Malone to Philadelphia for Freddie Meyer and RJ Umberger, then I will trade John Leclair to Ottawa for Anton Volchenkov, then I will steal a nuke and ransom the world for a million dollars."

One million dollars??? Thats not exactly a lot of money these days.... Virtucon alone makes over 9 billion dollars a year...
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:11 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:One million dollars??? Thats not exactly a lot of money these days.... Virtucon alone makes over 9 billion dollars a year...

:D Sounds like somebody wants to wear the daddy pants.
NIN

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:11 pm

bse wrote:He's not even trying to tell the press he's doing something.

bse, by your comments I'm assuming you haven't followed the Penguins for very many years. CP has NEVER had a good relationship with the press.

In fact, CP's communication skills INSIDE his own organization have been questioned for years. While he seems to maintain open communications with his superiors, he's always had fractious relations with Players, Agents, and Coaches.

And this is coming from someone who thinks CP is better than his recent record.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby bse on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:48 pm

Well, since you are a new poster, I'll let you know right now that I've been following the Pens for quite a while :)

Anyway, is it written somewhere that you can no longer criticize Craig Patrick? It's getting ridiculous on the board nowadays, it seems as if no matter what is said, the cavalrymen are rushing into defence. Patrick, again, made boneheaded comments in the press, yet somebody comes in and lets us know "Oh, don't you know, he has always been like that".

Who cares how many times he's done something like that, he KEEPS doing it. And if you haven't noticed, he isn't doing his job either. So comments like that, in which he claims he really has no idea about anything, should be taken lightly just because he is what he is?

Way to kill a discussion, eh.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins