LeClair should have shot that puck!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

LeClair should have shot that puck!

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:45 am

ARRRgGGHHH!!! I traveled through the night to watch the game on tape and it was an outstanding effort. Crosby deked a guy out of his socks gained the attention of the entire Bolt's lineup and leaned the ice towards him in Lemieuxish fashin before feeding back a wide open LeClair at the side of that net. He could'nt one time it but he gathered controll and avoided a sweep check before while the goalie slowly tried to recover.

Grahme was out only LeClair did'nt realize he still had time to fire it into the empty net! Instead he passed it back out to the point! OWWWUUUCH.

Could have eneded right there.

That is my 2 cents worth and here is another few thoughts...

Fleury has mental lapses and he might need to get some strange. Im tried of him overreacting before even realizing where the puck is. It's a matter of focus, that's all.

Whitney made some mistakes with the puck but he looked composed and made up for it by sparking the offense, That was the second time he was able to make that play at the blueline where he calmly stands his ground and reads the passing lane that the heads down forward tries to make. This time it got him a goal. Nice.
NIN

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:33 am

I'll agree. I was screaming at the TV AAAAAHHHH!!!! You gotta take that shot!!!!!
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:15 am

Mango Salsa wrote:I'll agree. I was screaming at the TV AAAAAHHHH!!!! You gotta take that shot!!!!!

:shock:

...you......you agree??

nobody has ever agreed with me here.

IT is 8:14 am EST. A moment in time I will cherish forever.

Somebody agreed with me!!

I feel faint.... :?
NIN

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:48 am

He couldn't shoot it or he sure would have. If you watch closely, he fumbled the puck recieving it, then had to stickhandle it to get it into shooting position, but was backing up at the same time and he never got into a comfortable position where he could get a shot off. Plus there was a guy in front of him that may have blocked it.

I remember seeing the play and by watching Leclair's body language I could tell he was frustrated he couldnt shoot it, he just couldnt get the right handle on it, i know that feeling. Finally he felt his shot window close and passed it.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:59 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Finally he felt his shot window close and passed it.

ahhhh now this is more like it. :)

This last comment is the only thing I'll agree with. LeClair's lack of vision and hockey sense foiled a tremendous scoring chance and wasted yet another brilliant individual effort by the Kid.

The Penguins bench was asking LeClair why he did'nt shoot it. Like I tried to explain in my original post, he could'nt one-time it and he had to avoid a sweep check. He showed incredible patience and he STILL had an empty net after settling the puck and avoiding the defenders stick. He just simply did'nt notice that Grahme was still dead in the water, there was a ton of net and he should have shot.

Just saying, that drove me crazy when I saw that!
NIN

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:10 am

So why didn't he shoot it then? Do you think he planned on stickhandling in front of the goalie and staring at a open net for a few seconds just for kicks or what?

Leclair's "vision and hockey sense" are the only reason he is in the league right now, he hasn't lost those. His body is going out on him... thats his problem. I'm sure he knew full well what he needed to do in that situation, but like I said, he just couldnt get the proper handle on the puck.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:16 am

FallenHero96 wrote:So why didn't he shoot it then?

That's a dog gone good question. Why do players pass up open or high quality shots to make yet another pass?

I've never understood that. At the lower levels of amature hockey I have to constantly work with the kids to make passes and get a better shot. At the NHL level I often see players give up a shot in hopes of getting a better quality chance.

Just doesn't make much sense to me when so many shots are scored off rebounds or deflections.

It was at it's worst on the Pens when Mario was still playing, but it's still frustrating even now. LeClairs shot last night is a perfect example.

Sure maybe he wasn't able to one-time it. Maybe the shot he got after he settled the puck wasn't as good as the moments before, but with Grahame completely out of the crease, it was still a million times better than a pass.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:23 am

Did he do his patented inspection of the ceiling after?
FlyerNation

Postby dboss on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:25 am

He should have shot the puck. Even if the shot is blocked by the d-man, you attempt that shot. He had the goalie scrambling and on his stomach. You at least make the attempt to put it on net. With Grahme on the ice, even if he makes the save there is a chance for a rebound. No question with me, HE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THE SHOT! This is coming from a guy who detests when the Yinzers in the Mellon Arena crowd scream for the Pens to shoot the puck on the PP.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:35 am

FallenHero96 wrote:So why didn't he shoot it then? Do you think he planned on stickhandling in front of the goalie and staring at a open net for a few seconds just for kicks or what?

Leclair's "vision and hockey sense" are the only reason he is in the league right now, he hasn't lost those. His body is going out on him... thats his problem. I'm sure he knew full well what he needed to do in that situation, but like I said, he just couldnt get the proper handle on the puck.

LeClair is trying to barely get 20 as apposed to getting 50 every season, that is a testamony to his age, injuries, and the rules. Hockey sense and vision were never LeClair trademarks, ask FlyerNation of you don't beleive me. In his prime there isn't anybody else I would rather have in front of the net or along the boards working the forecheck, his game is built around physically overpower opponents, not out smarting them.

That was a made to order John LeClair goal and one I typically expect him to finish, that's another reason why that play was a shocker to me! Blamming that passed over oppertunity on his vision might not be acurate because if he has good vision than it's around the net, but I am sure he wants that puck back right now.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:55 am

From where I was sitting, the puck looked like it was bouncing a little on him. If that's true (I have not seen a replay), then a rushed shot would have resulted in a fan or a dribbler on net that would have been easily covered.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:11 pm

netwolf wrote:From where I was sitting, the puck looked like it was bouncing a little on him. If that's true (I have not seen a replay), then a rushed shot would have resulted in a fan or a dribbler on net that would have been easily covered.

The pass wasnt fanned on.
NIN

Postby pfim on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:13 pm

By the time he got control of the puck, I don't think he would have scored. But at that point in the game, I think you have to shoot the puck regardless.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BJL on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:36 pm

I sit on that side on that end of the arena... looked like he was fumbling with the puck and couldn't get the shot off. Obviously if he could have he would have.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:49 pm

BJL wrote:I sit on that side on that end of the arena... looked like he was fumbling with the puck and couldn't get the shot off. Obviously if he could have he would have.

Sure made a nice pass though.
NIN

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:02 pm

okay i watched the game on tv... and saw one replay of it... to me... leclair couldnt one time it like it was previously mentioned... then had to sweep it out of the way of a poke check... in the process of doing this he had to turn to his back hand (I believe) with his back facing the net... some players would have back handed it... but he also had a pretty terrible angle on goal at this pt... then calmed the puck... passed it back to the pt for somebody to rip it on net, with all the confuscion in front...

Now i only saw it in play and in one quick replay... so who knows if thats what actually happened... but thats what i recall...

will add this... during play i was like what the heck just happened... is johny trying to throw a game here.. but in the replay i said great play to control the puck and get a scroing oppurtunity by passing it back to the point!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

He still should have shot

Postby Penspal on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:45 pm

He stumbled originally, the puck was bouncing, but when he passed it, Graham was still down and Leclair was not even looking at the net. There should have been a defenceman all over him, but hockey is bang/bang game as they say, and LeClair just didn't make the right play.

Let's all see if we can find LeClair's comments on his chance today.

PensPal
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins