Crosby vs. Ovechkin IV: Your predictions?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosby vs. Ovechkin IV: Your predictions?

Postby Mountaineer on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:08 am

Pens are tired. Caps coming off a beating of the Isles. Caps are at home. What does that mean? Another Pens win over the Caps, that's what. Final score: Pens 4, Caps 2.

If the Pens lose every other game this season, but beat the Caps to make it a season sweep, I'll be happy. Not sure why I despise the Caps so much, but I do, and I loved the beating the Pens put on the Caps the last two times.

Let's go Pens!!
Mountaineer

Re: Crosby vs. Ovechkin IV: Your predictions?

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:42 am

Mountaineer wrote:.

If the Pens lose every other game this season, but beat the Caps to make it a season sweep, I'll be happy.

Since the two clubs have a history vs each other and now the two most talented rooks the league has seen in years make tha matchup what it is would you guys say the Caps are the Pens biggest rival more so than the Flyers? If not now in the next few years? I used to despise the Caps but since the divisions changed it's tough to remember just how bad I hated the Caps when they were in the Patrick.
FlyerNation

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:54 am

FlyerNation wrote:[
Since the two clubs have a history vs each other and now the two most talented rooks the league has seen in years make tha matchup what it is would you guys say the Caps are the Pens biggest rival more so than the Flyers? If not now in the next few years?

Funny you should bring this up FN... I was thinking about the two rivalerys myself when I read this post.

They're totally different in my opinion. The Pens Flyers rivals began, for me at least, when the Pens couldn't / didn't win a single game at the Spectrum for what? 10 years or some ridiculous thing? The Pens Caps is nearly the exact opposite of that. They hate us for not being able to beat us, parrticularly in the Playoffs. I remember the year that you couldn't buy tickets to see games in DC if you had a Pittsburgh Area Code. (They actually programmed their ticketing systems to not allow sales to Western PA residents)

To me, I respect the Flyers successes but hate the organization and dislike the ego-manical fans (No offense), with Washington I disrespect the organization (Only respect AO's abilities), and think most of their fans are uninformed sour grapes idiots (Obviously a gross generalization).

I probably feel about Caps fans the way Flyers fans feel aout Pens fans.

:shock:

Isn't that Karma for you?
:D :D :D
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby conforto45 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:59 am

do the Flyers fans hate us more then we hate them? i agree that the rivalry isnt as intense as it was 5-6 years ago...but w/ the way Free Agency is these days, its hard to get into a rythem of playing a team, and getting the feel for the tradition and rivalry, as opposed to 10 years ago where people would be on a team for their whole career
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:05 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
FlyerNation wrote:[
Since the two clubs have a history vs each other and now the two most talented rooks the league has seen in years make tha matchup what it is would you guys say the Caps are the Pens biggest rival more so than the Flyers? If not now in the next few years?

Funny you should bring this up FN... I was thinking about the two rivalerys myself when I read this post.

They're totally different in my opinion. The Pens Flyers rivals began, for me at least, when the Pens couldn't / didn't win a single game at the Spectrum for what? 10 years or some ridiculous thing? The Pens Caps is nearly the exact opposite of that. They hate us for not being able to beat us, parrticularly in the Playoffs. I remember the year that you couldn't buy tickets to see games in DC if you had a Pittsburgh Area Code. (They actually programmed their ticketing systems to not allow sales to Western PA residents)

To me, I respect the Flyers successes but hate the organization and dislike the ego-manical fans (No offense), with Washington I disrespect the organization (Only respect AO's abilities), and think most of their fans are uninformed sour grapes idiots (Obviously a gross generalization).

I probably feel about Caps fans the way Flyers fans feel aout Pens fans.

:shock:

Isn't that Karma for you?
:D :D :D

I rememeber when they pulled the hijinx to avoid Pens fans getting tix. Pretty sad when back in the 80's the Caps center could at times be an intimidating place to play and their fans actually gave a ****. I'd have to think whether any of our clubs were moved to the SE division it would affect the fans willingness to produce new rivalries. The Panthers, Bolts, Canes and Thrashers don't neccessarily provoke that hate that the Devs, Rags and Flyers. Location might be a key as well with DC being about 2 hours closer to Pittsburgh than Philly/NJ/NY. I think I don't have as long running hate for the Pens because when I first strarted watching hockey in the 80's like you said the Pens were'nt exactly a threat to the Flyers.

Without a doubt the Ovechkin vs Crosby will carry this rivalry for years to come and who knows perhaps the Malkin vs Ovechkin will in the end become even bigger.
FlyerNation

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:15 am

conforto45 wrote:do the Flyers fans hate us more then we hate them? i agree that the rivalry isnt as intense as it was 5-6 years ago...but w/ the way Free Agency is these days, its hard to get into a rythem of playing a team, and getting the feel for the tradition and rivalry, as opposed to 10 years ago where people would be on a team for their whole career

No. The Flyer no 1 rivalry will always IMO be the Rags. It's the NYC vs Philly hate that fuels that one since Philly has a serious inferiority issue with all NY teams. Plus they had some real wars in the 70's and 80's and the Rags knocked the Flyers out a few years. The Devils is a big rivalry now but when I was a kid to me they were very much like the Pens. A team that had serious issues, had losing season after losing season and the Flyers rolled them. The Isles and the Flyers have a rivalry from the Isles dynasty but I don't think it matches the Pens Flyers.

So I'd say the Pens might be about 3rd in terms of most hated teams with the Flyers. As for me my hate for the Pens increased dramatically since I moved here and saw how bad the Flyers were hated. I'd say their my top 2 but it's tough to say since they are so bad, although they have played us as tough as anybody this year. Crosby will fuel the fire for years to come with Flyer fans much like Lindros did with Pens fans. The Rags probably right now are back in our crosshairs because they own us and are the team to beat in the division.

Like you said I think teams have now formed new rivalries the past few years. Flyers with the Leafs and Sens. Who knows maybe the Pens and Thrashers rivalry will heat up more with the Kovalchuck Crosby drama.
FlyerNation

Sid/ AO

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:52 am

last meeting till the NHL awards program...

I've enjoyed the hockey of seeing these 2 play off of each. both are
respectful of each other's talent. Sid kicks it up more when
playing A Ovechkin.
Don't know if the rivalry will flourish as it did in the 90's. Constant
match ups in playoffs create the adversity.

penguins need to start playing meaningful games to get into the
rivalry mix again. But nothing feels as good as when pens
beat patrick division teams.

A rivalry can develop regardless of georgraphical location. Waiting
for another pens/leafs play-off series. :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins