Penguin-Related Rumors from Spector's

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguin-Related Rumors from Spector's

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:21 am

From Bruce Garrioch in the Ottawa Sun (http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senator ... 8-sun.html):

Garrioch reports Muckler may be turning his attention elsewhere, specifically the Penguins Mark Recchi and John LeClair and the Sharks Alyn McCauley...Spector's Note: Unless a rival GM loses his mind and makes an offer to Dave Nonis he just can't pass on, Bertuzzi won't be going anywhere. His salary and personal baggage makes him very hard to move. Recchi, LeClair or McCauley would be a more affordable option for the Sens.

From the Calgary Sun (http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/20 ... 7-sun.html):

Sutter singled out Jarome Iginla's linemates Daymond Langkow and Mike Leclerc for praise whilst denying plans to shop Jordan Leopold, Matt Lombardi or Chuck Kobesaw.

From the Buffalo news (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20 ... 020011.asp):

John Vogl reported yesterday Sabres goalie Mika Noronen is hoping something happens regarding a trade that addresses the Sabres three-goalie system. Noronen said he's tired of being stuck in that system.

He'd make a nice backup.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:25 am

I think Noronen was hinting that they should just dump Biron already and get it over with. Biron may be more suited to back-up duty as I think Noronen may still have his sights set on a starting role. Or, at least a split-duty idea.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

trade

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:32 am

my trade ; LeClair and Recchi for Schaefer and Bochenski ;)
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: trade

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:40 am

Pens4Life wrote:my trade ; LeClair and Recchi for Schaefer and Bochenski ;)

That's actually not bad.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:59 am

netwolf wrote:

That's actually not bad.

Yeah, if you're the Penguins. But why on earth would Ottawa make a deal like that???
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:03 pm

I'm going to change this up a bit, instead of asking for the tactical trades CP could make, what are the Strategic objectives he should be looking for?

Veteran Contributors vs. Draft Picks (and the resulting salary and immediacy issues involved)

Forwards, Goalies, or D-Men?

Chemistry (ie. Proven leaders or maybe some toughness?)

Obviously your trading for the future, not this year, but are you trading to make the playoffs next year and a run for the cup the year after, or maybe 3,4,5 years down the road?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:25 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
netwolf wrote:

That's actually not bad.

Yeah, if you're the Penguins. But why on earth would Ottawa make a deal like that???

For the much talked about "veteran presence" of course! :P
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby borohcky9 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:46 pm

If dealing with Ottawa, i would rather see a move along the lines of:

Recchi, Malone

Bochenski/Fisher, Volchenkov/Schubert

We need defense, and Ottowa is stacked with top d-men. They are lacking second line scoring wingers....it could work out well.
borohcky9

Postby Steve Latin on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:04 pm

No way we'll be able to get Volchenkov. Ottawa fans are in love with him and he's their most physical defenseman after Chara.

Perhaps Malone and Recchi for Patrick Eaves...
Steve Latin

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:16 pm

On top of that...

Chara and Redden are UFA's after the season. They might not be able to keep both.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:22 pm

I think Volchenkov is a pipe dream, honestly.

The way I'm reading this, Muckler is turning his attention to some of the guys who figure to be lower-profile trade targets like Recchi, McCauley and Leclair because too many other teams are asking for Volchenkov. I can't remember where I read it, but one writer said it's gotten to the point that Muckler's on the verge of hanging up the phone every time someone mentions Volchenkov as potential return in a trade.

I don't see them moving Eaves, either. Bochenski or Schubert might be somewhat more realistic.

The nice thing is that Recchi is at least generating documented interest from a couple of different teams. Just four or six weeks ago, we were saying that the Pens would be lucky to get anything at all for him. His recent play has driven up the demand for him and has also managed to create a little bit of a bidding war for him. Teams with any sense will only pay so much for a guy like that, but this would be a good opportunity for CP to maximize his value.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jamie on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:22 pm

Kovy27 wrote:On top of that...

Chara and Redden are UFA's after the season. They might not be able to keep both.

This is gonna be the Sens year to make a run at the cup. I do not see them trading Redden or Chara for this reason. The Sens may give a little but they will keep the big name players for the cup run. I think the Sens more than likely will be trading prospects and/or picks.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:25 pm

Stoosh wrote:CP to maximize his value.

I can't believe you used the words "CP" and "maximize his value" in the same sentence. As long as CP is the GM, we won't get max value for anybody :cry: .
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins