Question for Flyernation

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Question for Flyernation

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:08 pm

Can you explain to me why a Flyer fan would be upset if they included Freddy Meyer in a trade for Recchi? Looking at his stats, he looks like a career AHLer. I don't even understand why the Pens would want him. He reminds me of Micki Dupont, and we all know how he worked out in Pittsburgh.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:13 pm

Yes, things could be heating up in the Recchi sweepstakes. Let's hope a deal is made BEFORE the floodgates open and other teams decide they're "sellers".
Speculation From Ilkka 03/08/2006 @ 11:03 AM
Quick-Fire Flyers Trade Fodder

Regarding Mark Recchi: Are you kidding me? In what now looks like a distinct possibility, a source within the Flyers is telling me that a bidding war for Mark Recchi has ensued around the NHL and that the Flyers are readily in the mix. This baffles my mind and the vast contingent of Flyers fans would be outraged if Recchi is brought back into the fold. A known lockerroom cancer while he was on the Flyers, Recchi is best known for choking in the playoffs and running a coach out of town during his second stint with the team. During the Flyers Cup run in 03-04, Recchi flat-out stunk, registering a mere 6 points in 18 playoff contests. What would outrage Flyers` fans even more is the fact that the Flyers are prepared to give up Freddy Meyer and RJ Umberger in a deal that would net Recchi.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Question for Flyernation

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:14 pm

Mad City Mike wrote: He reminds me of Micki Dupont, and we all know how he worked out in Pittsburgh.

Micki WHO? 8) :lol:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Question for Flyernation

Postby pfim on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:19 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Can you explain to me why a Flyer fan would be upset if they included Freddy Meyer in a trade for Recchi? Looking at his stats, he looks like a career AHLer. I don't even understand why the Pens would want him. He reminds me of Micki Dupont, and we all know how he worked out in Pittsburgh.

I think Freddie Meyer is an NHL defenseman, but would fail miserably without a strong partner in Pittsburgh.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:28 pm

I think he has the potential to be a Rafalski type defenseman but more physical. He has a definite upside, has some wheels to bring the puck out and the vision to go with that. Has a good slap shot that finds the net more often than it misses, something lacking in defenseman today. He makes some mistakes but I've seen big improvement in the kid since he first started. Always willing to hit someone in the corners regardless of size although he bounces off many times he still creates that contact. He has the tools to be a no 3 and a definite no 4 in this league one day.

When I said in my post earlier I didn't want to lose him, it was also pertaining to his role on the Flyers at this stage. It's looking more and more like Kim Jonnson won't be back which leaves the Flyers d line lacking any puck moving Defenseman aside from Pitkanen and Desjardins (old). He's been able to QB the PP at times and if we lose him and get no offensive help on the blue line in return than his departure means more than just losing a good but not great defenseman.

He's honestly one of those guys that stats don't tell how good of a player he can be.
FlyerNation

Postby pfim on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:31 pm

I think he has the potential to be a Rafalski type defenseman but more physical.

He had a reputation of pushing the limits of the rulebook in college. I think he's a good fit for the Flyers.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:34 pm

ville5 wrote:Yes, things could be heating up in the Recchi sweepstakes. Let's hope a deal is made BEFORE the floodgates open and other teams decide they're "sellers".
Speculation From Ilkka 03/08/2006 @ 11:03 AM
Quick-Fire Flyers Trade Fodder

Regarding Mark Recchi: Are you kidding me? In what now looks like a distinct possibility, a source within the Flyers is telling me that a bidding war for Mark Recchi has ensued around the NHL and that the Flyers are readily in the mix. This baffles my mind and the vast contingent of Flyers fans would be outraged if Recchi is brought back into the fold. A known lockerroom cancer while he was on the Flyers, Recchi is best known for choking in the playoffs and running a coach out of town during his second stint with the team. During the Flyers Cup run in 03-04, Recchi flat-out stunk, registering a mere 6 points in 18 playoff contests. What would outrage Flyers` fans even more is the fact that the Flyers are prepared to give up Freddy Meyer and RJ Umberger in a deal that would net Recchi.

Iilka is an idiot, less credible than Eklund. Looks like they've teamed up. He's supposed to be an inside guy on the Flyers but it was found out he was a ticket agent. Now the guy has taken a couple of regular posters in the Flyers lockeroom and got a chance to meet JR and a couple other guys. No doubt he has some connections with the Flyers but has lost all credibility over the years. He says because rumors happen so much that don't go through in FA or trades that he's wrong so often. I think he likes the attention like Eklund. Anyone IMO who would just blab all sorts of inside info on a message board obviously isn't that reliabale anyways so I take all his posts as mostly just crap. He called a Kim Johnnson injurey in the playoffs a few years back before it hit the media so it gave him some credibility even though 90% of everything he said before or after has been false. He's the one who guaranteed Scott Niedemeyer going to Philly and even seen him w/ Flyers officials discussing a deal after the CBA was settled. Sure. :roll:
FlyerNation

Postby vcip on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:29 pm

With Jonnson out he is the only Flyers d-man to put a good shot on net & carry the puck besides Pitkanen.
I don't see them trading him unless they also aquire another d-man.
vcip
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins